Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? (2828 Views)

The Ten Commandments In The New Testament / The Ten Commandments Of Human Relations / Are Expensive Church Buildings Really Necessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by wirinet(m): 4:26pm On Aug 02, 2008
The ten commandments were handed over to the isrealites on mount Sinai by God himself, speaking directly to them. But God always allow for exceptions, because he also tells them to do things opposite to the commandments or refuses to punish his favourite persons if they break the commandments.
That is why I ask if the commandments were necessary at all.

The commandments;

I Thou shall have no other Gods before me.
Except you divide the Gods into three - the father, the son and the holy spirit, then you can worship the three God as one but you must worship the son more and equate him with almighty God. Also you can add Mother of God and saints as you deem it fit.

2. Thou shall not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in earth beneath or that is in the water under the earth.

Except, the graven image is a Roman Cross with which God the son was crucified, or an Ark of the tabernacle made of wood according to Gods specifications, or of images of Jesus on the cross, or images of Mary and Nativity. And any other image God commands to be worshiped.

3. Thou shall not bow down thyself to them or serve them.
Except all the images in the second commandment.

4. Thou shall not take the name of the lord thy God in vain.
Except in a court or law, or by pastors claiming to see and talk to God daily and by Christians generally when faced with a difficult situation.

5. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Except, the Sabbath day is no more the original sabbath day ordained by God, but has been shifted to the day romans dedicate to the sun (sunday), and even then apart from going to church, nobody keeps the day holy.

6. Honour thy Father and Mother.
Except, they are of different religion from the religion of the Bible, then you can dishonour or even kill them.

7. Thy shall not kill.
Except they are unbelievers, then they are not worthy of living. Even if they are believers you can kill them as a sacrifice to god.

8. Thou shall not commit adultery.
Except, You are a man. A man can have multiple wives and concubines. It is a married woman that is forbidden from sleeping with another man.

9. Thou shall not steal.
Except God commands you to steal land from unbelievers.

Also you will notice that the first act of moses after coming down with the Tablets (commandments) was to command the Sons of levi to slaughter every other man in the camp, numbering about 3,000 men just because they disobeyed God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Cayon(f): 4:37pm On Aug 02, 2008
The devil finds work (or mischief) for idle hands to do
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by mazaje(m): 6:37pm On Aug 02, 2008
Cayon:

The devil finds work (or mischief) for idle hands to do

Instead of countering his arguments with reasonable points which i believe you know you can't because your faith has been put into doubt you attack him using meaningless qoutes and starring up emotions.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Fhemmmy: 6:52pm On Aug 02, 2008
They are ver necessary, where there is no law, their is n crime and that means most will just perish.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by KarmaMod(f): 6:55pm On Aug 02, 2008
where's the 10th?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by ayinba1(f): 7:13pm On Aug 02, 2008
@wirinet

Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 02, 2008
Wirinet is seriously confused. I wont bother to argue this but if wirinet is willing then i'd be more than prepared to piece through his errors in detail.

Is Wirinet aware that the sabbath day was done away with after the sacrifice on the cross? Nh, he'd rather remain stuck with his pre-concieved false ideas.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Fhemmmy: 7:34pm On Aug 02, 2008
Nothing has been done away with, if there is, show the scripture that said so.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 02, 2008
Fhemmmy:

Nothing has been done away with, if there is, show the scripture that said so.

I will do so only when you show me you are willing to learn and not just here with islamic glasses to criticize. Are you ready? I am ever willing bro and i've certainly got the time.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by ayinba1(f): 7:51pm On Aug 02, 2008
@David,

Islamic glasses? shuo you don meet Fhemmmy b4? Please explain how the sabbath day was done away with and how Sunday was arrived at?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Fhemmmy: 8:08pm On Aug 02, 2008
davidylan:

I will do so only when you show me you are willing to learn and not just here with islamic glasses to criticize. Are you ready? I am ever willing bro and i've certainly got the time.

I am here to learn so bring it on, and please, dont give me some books that aint in da bible.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Fhemmmy: 8:09pm On Aug 02, 2008
ayinba1:

@David,

Islamic glasses? shuo you don meet Fhemmmy before? Please explain how the sabbath day was done away with and how Sunday was arrived at?

The dude just wanna attack me, however, he is forgiven, as long as he is willing to teach my willing soul.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Lady2(f): 8:19pm On Aug 02, 2008
Nothing has been done away with, if there is, show the scripture that said so

I agree, I want to see the scripture that says that the Sabath is done away with. David likes using scripture, I want him to use it here too.

*silly christians twisting the Bible to validate themselves.*
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Fhemmmy: 8:25pm On Aug 02, 2008
Thank jare, dont mind the self prophesed pastor King of Nairaland.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Cayon(f): 11:56am On Aug 03, 2008
@mazaje

Let not your heart be troubled

Do not despair; but be of good cheer.

Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid.

Walk always in the bright light of joy with a heart filled with rejoicing.

Never grumble nor complain; but in everything be grateful and give thanks.

If there be any good thing, think on it.

Focus your mind on the blessings God has showered upon your life and not on your rather trivial minor problems.

Think of the faces of the good people in your life instead of thinking of the people who have done you wrong.

Brethren, you may not always be able to control the circumstances that take place in your life; but you can always control what you think about.

Rejoice always.

Amen.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by kazeem4t(m): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2008
christians are in big trouble
they no longer obey the 10 commandments
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Yisraylite(m): 5:44pm On Aug 03, 2008
[b]Ecc 12:13  Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear YAHAWAH (YHWH) and keep HIS Commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Not Hebrew,Christian,Moslem,Jew,Hindu etc  THIS IS THE WHOLE DUTY OF MAN !!!!

Isa 24:5 The earth also is defiled under its inhabitants; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant

Isa 24:6 Therefore has the curse devoured the earth, and those who dwell therein are found guilty: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left.

Zep 1:14  The great day of YAHAWAH is near, it is near, and hastens greatly, even the voice of the day of YAHAWAH: the mighty man shall cry there bitterly.

Zep 1:15  That day is a day of wrath, a day of trouble and distress, a day of wasteness and desolation, a day of darkness and gloominess, a day of clouds and thick darkness,

Zep 1:16  A day of the trumpet and alarm against the fenced cities, and against the high towers.

Zep 1:17  And I will bring distress upon men, that they shall walk like blind men, because they have sinned against YAHAWAH: and their blood shall be poured out as dust, and their flesh as the dung.

Zep 1:18  Neither their silver nor their gold shall be able to deliver them in the day of YAHAWAH'S wrath; but the whole land shall be devoured by the fire of his jealousy: for he shall make even a speedy riddance of all them that dwell in the land.

Zep 3:1 ¶ Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city!

Zep 3:2  She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in YAHAWAH; she drew not near to her FATHER.

Zep 3:3  Her princes within her are roaring lions; her judges are evening wolves; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow.

Zep 3:4  Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the Law.

Zep 3:5  YAHAWAH in her midst is just; HE will not do iniquity: every morning he brings HIS judgment to light, HE does not fail, but the unjust knows no shame

Zep 2:3  Seek YAHAWAH, all you meek of the earth, which have wrought HIS judgment; seek righteousness, seek meekness: it may be you shall be hid in the day of YAHAWAH'S anger

Coming Soon to your world  !!! The Righteous Judgment of The AlMighty and Eternal KING of Kings. Abba YAHAWAH is HIS NAME, Hallal YAH !!! Hallelu YAH !!!!

Salaam,Selam.Shalom., Peace !!
Yisraylite[/b]
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by onyinye2(f): 7:29pm On Aug 03, 2008
@poster
Of course there is need for the ten commandments. It keeps order and shows us Christians the guidelines so to speak on how we should carry our lives. Let's put it in perspective. Now look at the justice system. The way you sound, we should dismiss the law against murder since people murder everyday. We should dismiss the law of stealing since folk get robbed every minute. We should dismiss the law of perjury since O.J. Simpson got away with murder. We should dismiss the law of domestic abuse since women are being abused as we speak. See there is a reason why these laws are here. It creates order and it is a guideline to us humans. If we dismissed these laws, Only God knows what will happen. So there is need for the Ten Commandments.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by huxley(m): 10:03pm On Aug 03, 2008
Yet again, Christians are so confused. The commandments in Exodus 20 were superseded by those in Exodus 31 after Moses smashed the first set of 10C given to him by god. So really Exodus 31 should be the binding set. Bur do you ever hear Christian talking about this?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by ifyalways(f): 10:45pm On Aug 03, 2008
Yes the commadments are necessary.They are meant for guidance direction.Good a thing,its been broken down to two:
Love your neighbour as yourself
love and serve the Lord,your God.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by olabowale(m): 2:35pm On Aug 04, 2008
@Ifyalways:

Love your neighbour as yourself
love and serve the Lord,your God.

Which Lord, your God; the One declared by jesus to be his own Lord, One God in Mark 12 vesre 29, or the onesdeclared in the post jesus era, as father god, son god and holy spirit/ghost god?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by onyinye2(f): 2:38pm On Aug 04, 2008
olabowale:

@Ifyalways:
Which Lord, your God; the One declared by jesus to be his own Lord, One God in Mark 12 vesre 29, or the onesdeclared in the post jesus era, as father god, son god and holy spirit/ghost god?
All.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 04, 2008
ayinba1:

@David,

Islamic glasses? shuo you don meet Fhemmmy before? Please explain how the sabbath day was done away with and how Sunday was arrived at?

What a hypocrite! grin Here demanding "explanation" and yet failing to do so when pertinent questions were asked of her on previous threads. Responding to your likes is a waste of time.

~Lady~:

I agree, I want to see the scripture that says that the Sabath is done away with. David likes using scripture, I want him to use it here too.

*silly christians twisting the Bible to validate themselves.*

Another "christian" in name only, a modern day pharisee, blind, lost and in need of spiritual guidance.

Mark 2:23And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn.

24And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful?

25And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him?

26How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him?

27And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

28Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath

Madam "i know it all" ~Lady~,
- Was Christ WILFULLY DISOBEDIENT to the law of the sabbath?
- What was the real message in verse 27?

John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

- If Christ had broken the sabbath, "a sin in the old testament", how did HE ascend the cross as the SINLESS ONE?

Colosians 2:16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

~Lady~, was brother Paul also a "silly" christian simply twisting scripture to validate himself?

Shallow "christians" really shld be mindful of what they say.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Shaz(f): 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2008
they are necessary
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Lady2(f): 4:32pm On Aug 04, 2008

se u've forgotten that Christ himself spoke of the Father. Son, and Holy Spirit. Please stop inserting your confusion about Christianity here. Thanks. No one inserts confusion about Islam. The truth about Islam is what is going on.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by olabowale(m): 4:37pm On Aug 04, 2008
@~Lady~:

se u've forgotten that Christ himself spoke of the Father. Son, and Holy Spirit. Please stop inserting your confusion about Christianity here. Thanks. No one inserts confusion about Islam. The truth about Islam is what is going on.

I simply asked for an answer/explanation. Now tell me which one? I know the truth about Islam; One God. Now what about Christianity's Trinity or is it One God, two, like the Muslims?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Aug 04, 2008
olabowale:

@~Lady~:
I simply asked for an answer/explanation. Now tell me which one? I know the truth about Islam; One God. Now what about Christianity's Trinity or is it One God, two, like the Muslims?

Alhaji kindly spare us your drivel, not every thread should be converted to an "answer olabowale or else" session. There are threads on the islamm section needing your attention and explanation too.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by olabowale(m): 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2008
@Davidylan: You are so funny. I have to laugh on that one. Unfortunately, i am not that bright in the matters of religion. Don't worry. I am trying to learn, too. Pele. But truth stands out from falsehoods. Everytime there is light, darkness in all its forms have no leg to stand on.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Lady2(f): 6:02pm On Aug 04, 2008

The question you asked was assuming a false belief of yours. I had to correct you on your false belief. Like I have always said, ask questions about Christianity and not what your beliefs of Christianity are.

You know very well that Christ spoke of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You know very well that he called himself the Son. You have asked us to show you this in the Bible and we have done so. You have resorted to taking a verse out of context and you repeatedly quote it to prove your point, which it does not prove but you are so blind and are extrememly desperate to have us see things your way.
I have repeatedly told you that the Son, Christ is subject to the Father. You keep aking us why Christ said what he said in mark 12 vs. 29 and it disappoints me every time, because it only shows me that basic english you do not comprehend. Christ was not in anyway point that he is not God, and when I questioned you on it, you deliberately skipped my question and have led me to believe you are very deceitful. Every time I encounter in a discussion with you about Christianiy or Islam, you lie to me and it's led me to have less respect for you. As of this time the only reason why I respect you is because of your age and not because of your intellect, and also because you choose to live out of fear and not out of love.

Christians believe in One God. If that is not clear enough for you then try your best to get your money back on your education.
You will ask about how it is that Christ is God and that the Spirit is God.
I tell you that Christ is the Word of God made flesh and that the Spirit is the Spirit of God himself.
You won't comprehend this and then I ask you if you think it is impossible, then explain to me how it is that God is separated from his Word and his Spirit.
You will completely skip that part because you know that you cannot explain it and then you will move on to something else to discredit Christianity, and I will tell you that you can keep trying but God always protects his Church, it is best for you to quit because you won't win. The Church will stand to the end.

You will also bring in your own belief that Jesus was just a word "Be" that God said to Mary just as he said to Adam and it is only a command, and I will inform you that this only supports the belief in Christianity that Jesus is the New Adam, the sinless Adam. You won't be able to dismiss that because it is also the belief in Islam that Jesus is sinless and that he was created as Adam was.
I will also inform you that the word for command in rabic is amr, but the word used to describe Jesus as the word is Kelima and it cetainly does not mean command, I'm sure you understand where I am getting to.

You will also say that Jesus is nothing but a command and a spirit proceeding from God. Then I will ask you to explain how it is that God's Spirit can be anything or anyone other than God Himself. I will remind you that a spirit is the life of the being. How can a being exist without it's life or separate from his life.

But truth stands out from falsehoods. Everytime there is light, darkness in all its forms have no leg to stand on.

This is why Christianity is always seen as the religion of peace and Islam is not. Peace in Islam does not reach to those who are ubelievers but only to the believers. So who is spreading falsehood here? Oh yeah there are verses in the koran that clearly tell that war should be waged againt all infidels.
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by bigfather(m): 9:28pm On Aug 04, 2008
If there is no need for it , God wouldn't have created it . Abi you you dey try question God's authority ?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Lady2(f): 5:14am On Aug 05, 2008
Was Christ WILFULLY DISOBEDIENT to the law of the sabbath?

maybe you missed the part about him being Lord of the sabbath.
So I guess you should also be disobedient to the law

You know what david you are right. The sabath was nullified. Infact we don't have ten commandments, we only have nine.

Infact God's word changes abi? not so david? God is subject to time right david and dats why his word changes eh?

What was the real message in verse 27?

you know what i am the "another 'christian' who is in need of guidance" so please enlighten me yo holiness, the one not in need of guidance.

but please in you quest don't insult God and limit him by claiming that he nullifies his word and in so doing claiming that he lies.
Oya go ahead.

If Christ had broken the sabbath, "a sin in the old testament", how did HE ascend the cross as the SINLESS ONE?

ahhh your know it allness, please enlighten me. I can't wait for you to do so. I am in need of guidance, guide me, pls.

~Lady~, was brother Paul also a "silly" christian simply twisting scripture to validate himself?

nah he wasn't, he was speaking the truth, but you however twist it.

so pls your know it allness, enlighten me the lost one.

and while your at it. Pray tell what are the commandments of God? How many of them are there?
Re: Are The Ten Commandments Really Necessary? by Lady2(f): 5:45am On Aug 05, 2008
The ten commandments are very necessary and are still in effect and never nullified not even by Christ.

Christ himself is the law, he won't nullify himself.

Did Jesus have anything to say about the state of the sabbath after his death?

yes he did. he spoke of an even that would take place after his death

matthew 24:20
pray that your flight not be in winter or on the sabbath.
Obviously Jesus expected the sabbath to be still in place and honoured at that time. That would be strange if his apostles were to abandon it shortly after his death.

Did the apostles keep the sabbath after Jesus' death?

you bet they did.

Acts 13:14
but they passed on from Perga and came to Antioch of Pisid'ia. And on the sabbath day they went into the synagogue and sat down.

Acts 13:44
The next sabbath almost the whole city gathered together to hear the word of God.

Acts 16:13
and on the sabbath day we went outside the gate to the riverside, where we supposed there was a place of prayer; and we sat down and spoke to the women who had come together

Acts 18:4
And he argued in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded Jews and Greeks.

Acts 17:2
Paul, as was his custom, went in to them, and for three Sabbath days reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

Christ never broke the sabbath, he wouldn't be the Son of God if he were to go against the law.
But some self professed pastors will claim that.

The Jews misunderstood the law of the sabbath, Jesus even went further to inform them that they perform circumcision on the sabbath so how can it be wrong that he makes a man whole on the sabbath. John 7:21-23

The apostles continued with the law, with the reading of the word on the sabbath

Acts 15:21
For Moses has been preached in every city from the earliest times and is read in the synagogues on every Sabbath.

Now some people want to misinterpret Paul as saying that the sabbath is nullified. But he didn't.

Hebrews 4:1
1 Therefore, let us be on our guard while the promise of entering into his rest remains, that none of you sem to have failed.
2 For in fact we have received the god news just as he they did. But the word that they heard did not benefit them, for they were not united in faith with those who listened.
3 For we who have believed enter into that rest, just as he has said: "As I swore in my wrath, they shall not enter into my rest" and yet his works were accomplished at the foundation of the world.
4 For he has spoke about the seventh day in this manner, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his works";
5 and again, in the previously mentioned place, "They shall not enter into my rest."
6Therefore, since it remins that some will enter into it, and those who formerly eceived he good news did not enter because of disobedience,
7 he once more set a day, "today," when long afterwards he spoke through David, as he already quoted: "oh that today you would hear his voice: harden not your hearts."
8 Now if Joshua had given them rest, he would not have spoke anfterwards of another day,
9 [size=16pt]Therefore, a sabbath rest still remains for the people of God[/size].
10 Ans whoever enters into God's est, rests from his own works as God did from his.
11 Therefore let us strive to enter into that rest, so that no one ma fall after the same example of disobedience.

Plain and simple the sabbath still stands, even in the new covenant.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is God's Wrath Manifested By Eternal Fire At Variance With God's Love? / Live To Give - Pastor Anita / Allahu Akbar-rare Pictures Of Prophet Muhammed (SWA) Belongings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.