Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,137 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion (8016 Views)

President Buhari Visits Cross River State (Live Updates) / Buhari To Earn N14 Million As Annual Salary, Allowances / NYSC Corpers Serving In Akwa Ibom State Get A Raise In Their Allowance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 9:00pm On Aug 02, 2008
40 million Yorubas get N14,560 billion  while river state get N15,097Billion in may, Including kwara state.

Igbos got  10,431 compare that to akwa ibom state with very very few people of  N8,055Billion

http://.com
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Arnold1(m): 9:14pm On Aug 02, 2008
Oil producing states are receiving 13% derivation that is why they receive more funds
from the federation account ( I thought this was common knowledge).

Rivers state has been receiving the bulk of this because they produce the most oil.

I think this should have been the title of your thread:-

The Yorubas (as well as others) need to work on generating revenue independent of
the federal government (basically independent of oil)
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Fhemmmy: 9:29pm On Aug 02, 2008
This are states that makng all the money fr Nija, let dem be
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 9:47pm On Aug 02, 2008
The 19 state of the north got less than the 6 state of the south south. there is something wrong. you can not have disparity in nigeria.

If you want it to be. Then the correct census figure must be use. Why Akwa Ibom has less population than Ibadan in Oyo state from satellite picture , Akwa Ibom has 31 local govt and Oyo state, not Ibadan has 33 local govt. It has to change.
Edo state is more populated than Akwa Ibom, but edo state has 18 local govt while Akwa Ibom has 31 local govt. Check satellite picture .

Ondo state is more populated than Akwa Ibom state but ondo has 18 local govt while Akwa Ibom has 31 local govt.

Ondo state is twice more populated than Abia state while Ondo state has 18 local govt Abia has 17 local govt .

Ogun state is more populated than Akwa Ibom state , but Ogun state has 20 Lg and akwa ibom has 31.

Ogun state is more populated than Jigawa state. Jigawa has 27 , ogun 20

Ondo state is more populated than Jigawa state ,  Ondo state has 18 local govt , jigawa has 27 local govt.

ogun state is more populated than Kano state , Kano state has 44 local govt and ogun state has 20,

Ondo state is more populated than Kano state , Kano state has 44 local govt and ondo state has 18,
Ondo state is more populated than river state , river state has 23 local govt and ondo state has 18,

Lagos state, ogun state   is more populated than akwa ibom state. Lagos has 20 river has Akwa Ibom has 31 local govt. delta 25, river 23

If you want to keep derivation, real population  should be used. While the north and other state should also be allowed to keep their tax. That is fairness.

We have already put in place a shadow govt in Yorubaland. We want a change to the system.

http://.com
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 10:29pm On Aug 02, 2008
Arnold1  from federal generated revenue expected this years, if the Yorubas are not part of Nigeria, we would be better of financial, than remaining in Nigeria. Yorubas generate more than they recieve from the federal govt. please verify this information from the ministry of finance website. We are at a financial disadvantage remaining in Nigeria. So get your fact right.

First of all, the federal minister of finance is not given them 13% of oil. If you do the calculation, they are getting 13 % of all revenue which is not what was agree. Please verify the information, both non and oil revenue.  Which is wrong. they should not be getting 13% of oil revenue. but you ministry of finance  people is either making a mistake or webmaster or myself making mistake.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Okijajuju1(m): 10:42pm On Aug 02, 2008
What census??
The cows and goats in the North??

If they want more money, they should get off their lazy ass'es and go farm.

Why should the Niger delta keep feeding unproductive states like sokoto, Zamfara and the rest.

That 13% should be 85%.

Infact this country should change to a federal system of govt, then many of these state s would end up like Gongola and Bendel state.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Uche2nna(m): 10:48pm On Aug 02, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

If you want it to be. Then the correct census figure must be use.

What census are U talking about, my brother?

U must be a naturalised Nigerian for U to believe those census figures
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Uche2nna(m): 10:54pm On Aug 02, 2008
Okija

I bow for ur siggy oooooo grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by vigasimple(m): 10:59pm On Aug 02, 2008
Nigeria its is a fraud and corruption, what do you expect from its leaders not to talk of ordinary people.

We are being fed with whatever figures suit the people 'leading' us.

@ okija juju and Uche2nna

Ara ga Gba ndi Ara

what does Okija juju sigantures above means, it sounds somehow
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Okijajuju1(m): 11:02pm On Aug 02, 2008
Uche2nna:

Okija

I bow for your siggy oooooo grin grin grin grin grin

Thanks bro.

Odika ara a gba o ghi!! grin grin grin
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 11:32pm On Aug 02, 2008
Why should the Niger delta keep feeding unproductive states like sokoto, Zamfara and the rest.

That 13% should be 85%.

What do you mean by that statement. Are people in the niger delta planting oil.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Okijajuju1(m): 12:09am On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

What do you mean by that statement. Are people in the niger delta planting oil.

Let tell ourself the truth. Most of Nigeria oil are off the coast of their land. I do not think we produce 25% on their land. Look my brother when you draw the map of river state, do you also include the altantic ocean as part of river state.

Is the sahara desert part of the Northern sates??
Or is river Niger part of Niger state??

Abeg talk another thing.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 12:42am On Aug 03, 2008
When you buy a land close to a River Niger or River Benue . Does that mean you own River Niger or Benue.? na question.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 3:38pm On Aug 03, 2008
Arnold1 ,
You should note that the 13% was never agree upon by the people of Nigeria. 

Just a note. it was abacha that agree to 13%, So that he could become life president of Nigeria at that time. it would be noted. That he hand pick few people to represent the yoruba, even when the majority of yorubas ,did not want or agree to the decision at the conference. which include 6 zone. THE YORUBAS BOYCOTTED THE ELECTION TO THE CONFERENCE. so How can you now force abacha 6 zone and 13% on us.

Let it be know, if justice is not done, we would undo all injustice done to our people by abacha and IBB. Noone can force on us Abacha or IBB laws on our people.

Here is google to comfirm what happen before the conference.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=yoruba+boycott+abacha+conference&btnG=Search&meta=

Here is a statement by the largest human right body in the world the Human Rights watch and links to read, 

""""""'Elections to select 273 of the 369 delegates to the Constitutional Conference (the remainder of whom were government appointees) were largely boycotted in the Yoruba-dominated southwest, the home region of Abiola. On the day of the elections, approximately fifteen human rights and pro-democracy activists were arrested, allegedly for trying to disrupt the elections. They were later released. """"'

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1995/WR95/AFRICA-07.htm

That is why this new conference is important to decide on what we want. If Nigeria agree it is 100% derivation. Good by me. If not.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 5:06pm On Aug 03, 2008
So what is your point? STFU. Nobody is listening.

Nigeria1;;:

You should note that the 13% was never agree upon by the people of Nigeria.

50% is the only constitution that was agreed by the people of Nigeria. Nothing has changed.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by gregg2: 5:57pm On Aug 03, 2008
@Poster (Nigeria1)

You amaze me.
So if you are made president of Nigeria
today you will continue this deep hatred for the zone that produces
80% of the nation's revenue?

You can't win your fight for Yorubas by denying Niger Delta
its fair share of resources from their backyards. Enough of your "badbelly".

You are fanatical. Elders and other true sons of Yoruba won't
support you. Go sample their opinions.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by wirinet(m): 6:12pm On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria1,,

I do not know if you are one Nigeria1(without the ,,) that tries to convince us that he could count the population of each village in Nigeria from satellite photos, but i found that guy interesting and very well informed and educated.

this Nigeria1,, simply defies logic, and i am glad that this is not how majority of my Yoruba brothers think.

Now where do i start dispelling your preposterous suppositions.

Let let me give you a brief lecture of what a viable political/economic entity is. All political entities are formed as a result of economic viability, most villages and towns of ancient Yoruba land was form principally on the basis of agricultural produce with which they feed themselves and trade with neighbours, so gradually the town grew out of agricultural prosperity.

Also the Niger Delta, whose Oil you are desperate to have were faring extremely well before the discovery of oil, they developed their political entities (villages and towns) through fishing, timber and trade with the Europeans. We did not ask for produce from Yoruba Land.

Now enter oil, and you people suddenly realized that the 50% derivation you enjoyed should not apply to oil (the excuse then was money to prosecute the war), and for over 20 years Niger Delta got zero derivation. It then became fashionable to create as many political entities as much a possible, many of them unviable, The motivation was to corner as much of the National Cake as much as possible. So now we have 36 states ans 774 local govt areas and counting.

Now i am not against creation of local Govt and states, if it is economical and the political entity is self sustaining.

And i would say that it is a shame that 40 million Yorubas (according to you) need to GET money from oil to survive with your superior manpower (remember Japan's only resource is its manpower).

You said that abacha that agree to 13%, So that he could become life president of Nigeria at that time. Wow that is the fable of the Century. Abacha did not need to pacify anybody, less the Niger Delta. He would have had his way without the support of anybody. ( if he could shun the almighty Yorubas, then who are the puny Niger Deltans.)

The 19 state of the north got less than the 6 state of the south south. there is something wrong. you can not have disparity in nigeria

Was that statement ment to pitch the North against the Niger Delta? Because honestly, the north is more sympathetic to our plight that most Yoruba Leaders. So you solution should be for the North and West join hands to invade the deltas.

Let tell ourself the truth. Most of Nigeria oil are off the coast of their land. I do not think we produce 25% on their land. Look my brother when you draw the map of river state, do you also include the altantic ocean as part of river state.

So you are waking a dead horse, the issue you raise died a Natural death at the Supreme Court, Except you want to challenge the Supreme court again with your onshore/offshore dichotomy argument.
Furthermore, you should know that Nigeria is made up of it constituent parts (states), without the states there would be no Nigeria. Maybe we should situate all the offshore oil rigs in Lagos State to satisfy you.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 6:44pm On Aug 03, 2008
I hope Skyblue is reading all this. . . . . we can see what the general consensus from the Niger-Delta is.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 7:00pm On Aug 03, 2008
I have said before. There are only 2 option. We outright remove the 13% from the constitution or Taxes like Vat, education, company tax, personnal, PTF . custome duties and others should be collected by the states directly. To check the balance in the 13% derivation. If this is not done. the whole of the north would be at a permanent disadvatange forever.

Here is a statement by the largest human right body in the world the Human Rights watch and links to read, 

""""""'Elections to select 273 of the 369 delegates to the Constitutional Conference (the remainder of whom were government appointees) were largely boycotted in the Yoruba-dominated southwest, the home region of Abiola. On the day of the elections, approximately fifteen human rights and pro-democracy activists were arrested, allegedly for trying to disrupt the elections. They were later released. """"'

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1995/WR95/AFRICA-07.htm
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 7:22pm On Aug 03, 2008
I feel it is better to allow  Taxes like Vat, education, company tax, personnal, PTF . custome duties and others should be collected by the states directly and  allow for more state creation,  than remove 13% derivation  If you fail to do thing, I think the last option would be to total remove the Yorubas from the federation. And you people can keep your oil and develop.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 8:00pm On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

And there was no time in Nigeria that it was agree to have 13% in the constitution. No time,  adbulsalami just put it there. Abacha was the one who agree to it

Firstly, Nigeria agreed to have 50% derivation in the ONLY legal constitution this country ever had in 1960.

Secondly, your statement above is complete bullshit because the offshore Abrogation bill was approved by the House of Assembly in 2002 and signed by OBJ in 2004, entitling Niger Delta to 13% derivation up to a water depth of 200m.

The West African continental shelf drops by 1.2m every 100m, therefore I calculate a 200m depth to be 16.6km offshore.

16.6km is 10.31 miles.

The United Nations Convention of the Law and Sea of 1982 defines 200 miles offshore as the Exclusive Economic Zone.

For instance, the Executive Director of the Environmental Rights Action (ERA) Mr. Douglas Oronto has called for a clarification of the " 200 meters depth isobaths". According to him "The governors should have sat down to educate their people on what 200 meters depth isobaths means…. But those of us who understand what 200 meters depth isobaths means, we are saying that the communities and the people of the Niger Delta… are the losers and are losing".

Most large oil reserves are more than 200m below sea level.

Nigeria1;;:

Here goes the lies again. 80% of the oil in Nigeria does not come from the Niger delta. Only less 20% comes from the Niger delta. 80% of Nigeria oil comes from the Altantic ocean.

The Niger delta only produce just about 20% of Nigeria oil. please verify with shell and other oil comapnies.  And if you are already getting 13% of everything. It mean  the Niger delta is only contributing 7% to Nigeria, that is 20 %  minue 13% = 7 %.  which means derivation at the moment you are recieving from oil is 65% of what is obtain from your land.

13% of 20% is 2.6% of the national oil export. That is what maths wise, you should be getting.

No - 60% of the oil came from Niger Delta land till MEND shut half of them down. Therefore this 20% you are talking of is exaggurated and we still produce at least 30% on land. Plus we produced 60% on land up till only 4 or 5 years ago. Therefore, shall we backdate Nigeria's debts to the Babangida era when we only recieved 1.5% derivation?

On top of that what you claim to be in the Atlantic is within the Contiguous Zone of the Niger Delta as specified in the 1982 UNCLOS by the United Nations. The Contiguous Zone is 24 miles, whilst the Exclusive Economic Zone is 200 miles. Pick one - still you lose.

Therefore, everything you have just said is bollocks.

Find out what your tribesman Gani has to say about this situation and stop bleating on:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-156854.0.html
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 8:05pm On Aug 03, 2008
3 region agreed to 50%, Do we go back to 3 region.

If you want to go back to 1960, you can do so. But you know that constitution only recognized 3 regions. So you would be going back to 3 regions . Is that what Nigerian want. if that is what you want. It is ok by me. But I would ask that Kwara and west part of Kogi should be given the option to decided where they want to be through vote. since they are yorubas.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2008
Look lagos and ogun state should then claim money and recieving oil derivation because 200 nautical off the lagos coast. Nigeria govt is drill. How do you determine which part of the nautical miles is ondo state or delta state. Nigeria is in a govt.

So Balyase and delta are collecting money for ondo state 200 nautical mile. And Lagos and Ogun state based on your defination, have their view within the 200 nautical miles.

Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 8:40pm On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

We produce just about 20% on land. see satellite picture.

hahahaha. . . . . . . you and your satellite picture,  . . . . I give you kudos for your satellite work regarding Naija poulation. . . . but to use satellite to determine how many barrells of oil are being dredged is laughable. . . . funny guy.

Nigeria has total production capacity (total potential production capacity if all oil currently shut-in came back online) of three million barrels per day (bbl/d) including two million bbl/d onshore and one million bbl/d offshore.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/Nigeria/Oil.html

Therefore 66.6% was produced onshore at the time of this article (2007) and 33.3% was produced offshore.

BTW, 200 miles is less than Port-Harcourt to Lagos, so I don't know why your picture is showing Lome and such. That proves nothing. Like the UN said, 200 miles is within the Exclusive Economic Zone, so I don't know why you are arguing.

Nigeria1;;:

3 region agreed to 50%, Do we go back to 3 region.

If you want to go back to 1960, you can do so. But you know that constitution only recognized 3 regions. So you would be going back to 3 regions . Is that what Nigerian want. if that is what you want. It is ok by me. But I would ask that Kwara and west part of Kogi should be given the option to decided where they want to be through vote. since they are yorubas.

It is the only LEGAL constitution we have ever had in Nigeria. full stop. I recognise it over Babangida and Abacha's illegal constitutions if that is what you are asking.

Like Gani said, we need to call a Sovereign National Conference and agree on a new constitution. . . . loosen the strings at the middle and behave like a true federation. All this one you are talking is Agbero mentality which you have developed in Nigeria. Every democratic nation must run under rule of law and do things the way other civilised nations do them.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 8:44pm On Aug 03, 2008
Here is Nigeria state by state 200 nautical mile . the first line is ondo state. then delta, balyase , rivers.   So Delta and balyase are collecting money that they should not been collecting those money belong to Ondo state 200 nautical miles.  Really nearly half of the money delta and Balyase are collecting are money that ondo state should recieve.

Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Okijajuju1(m): 8:46pm On Aug 03, 2008
that looks like a picture from google earth.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 8:48pm On Aug 03, 2008
Nigeria1;;:

Here is Nigeria state by state 200 nautical mile . the first line is ondo state. then delta, balyase , rivers. So Delta and balyase are collecting money that they should not been collecting those money belong to Ondo state 200 nautical miles. Really nearly half of the money delta and Balyase are collecting are money that ondo state should recieve.

Whatever the case, we only get 13% offshore abrogation for 10.31 miles at the moment - so do that one on your Google Earth, lemme see what it looks like.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 9:01pm On Aug 03, 2008
Ibime  now you want to change mouth. No like you said the supreme court have already decide. The only option is to create more state and allow state to collect Taxes like Vat, education, company tax, personnal, PTF , custome duties and others should be collected by the states directly.

Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 9:10pm On Aug 03, 2008
Here is the oil field and map. showing you , that under international law, which you also quoted. Most of the oil field are own by ondo state, because they fall into what the UN defination as part of Yorubaland.   So Yorubaland own those oil, not your Niger delta under the UN international law.  So what Niger delta have been claiming as most of them belong to Yoruba people.

Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 9:20pm On Aug 03, 2008
^^^Firstly, that picture is too small to decipher anything. Enlarge it and get back to me.

Ondo State would be entitled to some derivation under proper International Standards, so would Lagos State - but not as much as the core Niger Delta States. For example, if an oil field lies 80 miles off Ondo state and 20 miles off delta State - and that oil field produced $1million worth of oil a day, then $130,000 will be shared between Ondo and delta State - out of which Delta State would recieve 80% ($104,000) and ondo State would recieve 20% ($26,000) 

You started this thread saying that the people whose land brings forth the oil should not benefit - now you are saying that Ondo should recieve benefits because they may (disputable) have some economic rights. Your argument lacks consistency. You said Niger Delta produces only 20% on land. I proved they produce 66.6%. You said that Nigeria did not pass any dichotomy bill. I proved that Nigeria did - and even that falls short of International standards. Now you are starting to tie yourself in knots. The obvious conclusion is that you do not know what you are talking about. Please do some research first before putting your mouth into what your brain has not processed - the simple fact is that you are trying to eke out an advantage for your tribe, but you lack the knowledge to hold any coherrent argument on their behalf.
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Nigeria17: 9:29pm On Aug 03, 2008
Ibime , why don't you listen to yourself, you sound like 419 my brother. Ondo state get more $104,000 , delta get just $24,000.

So Delta and balyase should be ready to pay back ondo state for all the money they collected . So really nealy 1/3  offshore or close to that, is produce from ondo state. I am not sure,
Re: 40 Million Yorubas Get N14,560 Billion While River State Get N15,097billion by Ibime(m): 9:30pm On Aug 03, 2008
You are right that you are not sure because that was a hypothetic example I used. You can do the simple mathematics yourself. If your land is 80miles away from an oil installation, you should get proportionally less than someone whose land is 20 miles away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Predictions On Today's Senate Bye Election / Banji Folaranmi, Others Arraigned For Death Threat, Forgery / We’re Determined To Establish Peace In South-east – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.