Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,699 members, 7,802,069 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha (949 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Why Ex-niger Delta Militants Attacked Nigerian Embassy In Russia- Ambassador (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by luli4life: 6:21pm On Dec 24, 2013
Why Obasanjo fought me, by Alamieyeseigha

Category: Inside politics Published on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 05:01 Written by Chris Eze, Yenagoa Hits: 3555

⁠View Comments

Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha is the former governor of Bayelsa State who was impeached in controversial circumstances during Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration over corruption allegations. He was later convicted and jailed for similar charges. But he was pardoned by President Goodluck Jonathan, amid allegations of nepotism, as he was the boss of Jonathan when they were running their home state of Bayelsa. In this interview, he speaks on the current face-off between President Jonathan and ex-president Obasanjo and on his personal encounter with the latter. Excerpts:

Chief Diepreye Alamieyeseigha

What is your reaction to the letter written to President Jonathan by former president Olusegun Obasanjo?
I want to start by saying that this is a democratic government. Today it is President Goodluck Jonathan, yesterday it was Umaru Musa Yar’adua, the day before yesterday it was Chief Olusegun Obasanjo. The office of the president of the country is an institution; it is not personified per se, in terms of policies and programmes. The aggregation of our thoughts is that when the president was voted into power he had been mandated to execute state policies on behalf of the citizens. President Jonathan is not a super human being, so if the country is drifting in the eyes of objective and patriotic persons in the country, they can come out and proffer better solutions after identifying the problems. But such criticisms must be constructive and not laced with bias, hatred and sentiment. Such alternative views should be passed on with love and genuine intentions. Once it is perceived that such a criticism has hidden motives outside fairness, then it becomes questionable.
The advice, through a letter to President Jonathan, no doubt is coming from a respected person who has ruled the country both as a military head of state and as a two-time president of a democratic government. Yes, we can concede to him, he has the in-depth knowledge of governance. He has seen it all, and so a letter coming from him should not be taken on the face value. In my objective opinion, I will say President Jonathan and his aides should look at it and make a proper analysis of the content. But my grouse with the entire scenario is that the approach to writing the letter to President Jonathan is very mischievous and there is clear bias and sentiments in the circumstance which has caused it to generate some controversy.
At least as a former governor, I will say that I have encountered Chief Olusegun Obasanjo.
The Obasanjo I know, when he was the president of this country had displayed all the things he is alleging against Jonathan even more than any other leader in the country. There is no issue he has raised in his letter that he did not do when he was at the head of government in this country. That is why I am insisting that Chief Obasanjo is mischievous in his intent of writing the letter to Goodluck Jonathan and leaking it to the press. Chief Obasanjo’s character is that if it is not him it should not be anyone else. He is ‘Mr Know all’. He will call you for a meeting to come and brainstorm to proffer solutions to a problem. He will tell you about the problem and proffer solution without giving you room to make any contribution to what he invited you to. That is his character.
What is your reaction to the aspect of the letter which says that Jonathan should forget 2015?
It surprises me that Chief Olusegun Obasanjo is the one insinuating about the aspiration of President Goodluck Jonathan come 2015. To be precise, on 18th of August 2005, then President Obasanjo called me into his inner office and asked me why I was supporting his Vice Alhaji Atiku Abubakar. He offered to give me whatever I would have benefitted supporting Atiku. He told me that if I don’t work for him it’s possible he would give it to my deputy. He had explained to me that he was not the oldest president in Africa that he wants to continue for an extended tenure in office. He told me not to support a bloody civilian like Atiku Abubakar and that I should work with him to actualise his ambition. Today, he is denying everywhere; that he never wanted a third term in office. I am also very surprised that Chief Obasanjo is talking about drift in governance and development. After Chief Obasanjo assumed office in 1999, he was only globe-trotting; it was Atiku Abubakar who was running the country, nothing had happened. Obasanjo did not achieve anything as a president during his first tenure all in the name of laundering the image of the country.
In his second tenure when he realised that  Atiku Abubaker had already put in structures all over the country to take over from him, he started fighting him. So in his second tenure again he did not achieve anything. He was busy fighting Atiku, Alamieyeseigha and the rest of other persons he suspected were not on his side. So in concrete terms what did he achieve as a president for the eight years he had ruled this country? Today, he is talking about Goodluck Jonathan training snipers or whatever he calls it and having a watch list. How many high profile persons have been killed during Goodluck Jonathan’s time compared to the long list of great men who were killed during his time as president of the country? Has he forgotten about Bola Ige? What happened to Marshall Harry, Dikibo, Funsho Williams? I can go on and on. Who are the sharp shooters that killed all these prominent Nigerians and what has been the outcome of their investigations? If I may ask again, what is the rationale behind Chief Obasanjo copying two former military rulers and T Y Danjuma in his letter? I am sure his reference to Dr (Alex) Ekwueme is only an afterthought. Nigerians should underline this and study it. This is a food for thought for the citizens.
Also know that Obasanjo only promotes himself. In 1992 when Abiola was contesting to become the president of the country, one of his worst antagonists was General Obasanjo. There is nothing he did not do to pull Abiola down insisting that Abiola was not fit to be the president of the country. He even offered himself to be the interim president of the country. When Abacha came, he used the same style to pull him down. Abacha could not stand it, and put him in jail. God, using General Abdulsalami Abubakar, he was brought out from jail and the Yorubas were compensated, particularly the Egba area, and gave them the presidency which he was the main beneficiary. When he emerged as president of the country, what did he do in his second coming as the leader of our dear country?
Are you saying that the letter in its entirety is not worthy of Jonathan’s attention?
There is no man on this earth that knows everything about governance. Even if you have tested power severally, one is still bound to make mistakes. Governance is a very complex thing. The office of the president, if you are not careful, only those who want to tell you what you want to hear will have access to you. I cannot say the content of the letter is entirely rubbish as a Nigerian. You should know that President Jonathan must step on some toes for him to achieve success in the reforms he is embarking upon. He has done certain things that only courageous people can do. The pains for the ultimate realisation of the Nigerian dream can only last for a while. We must concede that at least Jonathan has achieved some great feat. But those things that he has not done well, he should be encouraged and advised in the right way and with good intention and not staying outside to command him as if the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is your subject, you can just seat anywhere to control. Leadership is like a relay race. Goodluck Jonathan should be allowed to run his race.
Do you think the circumstances occasioned by Obasanjo’s letter will affect the fortunes of Jonathan should he decides to re-contest in 2015?
Obasanjo is not Nigeria; he alone cannot tell the citizens what to do. Remember, he lost election in his own village that is how unpopular he is, even up until today or tomorrow. But Nigerians still voted for him. His disposition cannot significantly affect the electoral fortunes of Jonathan. It’s God who gives power: if God so desires that Jonathan should continue in office, then his aspiration will come to fruition. Jonathan has done much more than any other president has done. Let us support and encourage him instead of trying to pull him down by whipping up sentiments.
How would you advise Jonathan to respond to the letter?
If I had to advise him, I would have told him not to respond to Obasanjo’s letter. I am glad both of them met in Kenya. Jonathan should search his conscience, let him discuss with his close aides, let him re-assess those areas that needed to be addressed, he should highlight them and make improvement where necessary. Chief Obasanjo is older than he is, he was there before him; he should concede certain wisdom to him because he is more experienced. He should not insult him as long as that same respect is accorded him as the president of the country.
Source: http://dailytrust.info/index.php/politics/12926-why-obasanjo-fought-me-by-alamieyeseigha
Re: Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by sammwaju: 7:10pm On Dec 24, 2013
Season of letter writing
Re: Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by atlwireles: 7:25pm On Dec 24, 2013
Not bad
Re: Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by Gorrbachev: 7:36pm On Dec 24, 2013
OBJ lost election in his village because people expect him to take everything from Nigeria to develop and spoon feed his people. That's his sin, he was not bias towards the south west, thats why the yorubas are not happy with him.

1 Like

Re: Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by johnmartus(m): 8:19pm On Dec 24, 2013
thief alamieyesigha truly you sound like these? hmmm am not blame you I would not know you can come to public talking rubbish can you talk like these in four years ago?
Re: Why Ex-president Obasanjo Fought Me, By Alamieyeseigha by vicenteze: 8:47pm On Dec 24, 2013
johnmartus: thief alamieyesigha truly you sound like these? hmmm am not blame you I would not know you can come to public talking rubbish can you talk like these in four years ago?
and did he steal more than obj and I still maintain my acclamation...no wonder Abacha wants him dead by all means

(1) (Reply)

Citizens Response To Gej's Response To Obj Letter / President Jonathan appoints FRSC Boss Chidoka as Aviation Minister / State Of Emergency In NE Has Helped Boko Haram (picture Proof)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.