Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,202 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Yoruba Offensive Proverbs - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Offensive Proverbs (14440 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Why Is 'Nigger' Offensive? / Igbos come show your proverbs skills (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Drniyi4u(m): 7:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
but seriously, @ zeemoore, r u a Yoruba or Igbo lady, coz watz on ur profile z unfathomable!
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Nobody: 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2013
Singing in Rihanna's voice#
Where av u byn all my life

What more can I say
U aff make me fall yakata
Ayam sooooo in love
Sum1 plz rescue moa

Dnt worry, u won't die
At least not yet
I gatz to enjoy u nd d kudi 1st cheesy

Nii, ayam ZEE to da MOORE
So u see, my profile can't be fathomable
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Drniyi4u(m): 7:43pm On Dec 25, 2013
zeemoore:
Okay o
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 8:46pm On Dec 25, 2013
Drniyi4u:
r.i.p ni yen oo......
EEWO Jesu! mo ricochette e sinu ogbun tian~tian. Akii gboku edan, akii gboku ile, akii gboku Olodumare. Mo di oju oro tii leke omi, mo di Osibata tii leke odo, mo di apaadi feregede, tii siwaju onifon~na, iku mi o ya kankan. Niwoyi amodun, temi tie a o jo bawon s'ariya. Ng o b'Olofin gbite, ng o b'Oba jo gbantete. Oluwa ni agbara emi mi, nki yo ku bikose yiye. O seewor.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 8:57pm On Dec 25, 2013
zeemoore: Singing in Rihanna's voice#
Where av u byn all my life

What more can I say
U aff make me fall yakata
Ayam sooooo in love
Sum1 plz rescue moa

Dnt worry, u won't die
At least not yet
I gatz to enjoy u nd d kudi 1st cheesy

You are thoroughbred ma queen, I love them a~ puzzling. Arhg. So much to live for now, war and the love of a queen!
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 9:22pm On Dec 25, 2013
Calling families to tell them our number has increase. Zee baby, toast to one love so divine.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 25, 2013
cheesy cheesy
Wetin I no go see 4 NL??
Abeg call them
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 11:43pm On Dec 25, 2013
zeemoore: cheesy cheesy
Wetin I no go see 4 NL??
Abeg call them
You are seeing the love side of nairaland right now... It's beautiful, just the way you are grin
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 7:02am On Dec 26, 2013
My red cap with feather again early this morning. This particular proverb is quintessential for time like this: aini-amoju-kuro lonje keru were po. The proverb is didatic fact of life. Here is it: not having the habit as to ignore things clutter the life of a (crazy) man with junks. Some people are entangled to personal-effects such as antique of clothes, the oldest gadgets and rustic things like that, as if there is future waiting for such. Please box the junks for recycle plant or get it to Guiness book of records as 'oldest personal artifact' or give it out to scavengers if conscience wont allow you to give it out to someone close to you. Prepare a place for fresh increase today. Go ahead and do it now, hmmmn and thank me later (someone on my mind again!). That's also a proverb: amukoko kii gbagbe isanor.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Nobody: 8:36am On Dec 26, 2013
Aini amojukuro lonje keru were po
I have to show this to someone
Thanks Ladi
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 9:56am On Dec 26, 2013
zeemoore: Aini amojukuro lonje keru were po
I have to show this to someone
Thanks Ladi
Hey my zee baby, I've set forth at dawn cruising on my new yatch. Hop in, baby, we gotta go, I gwanna puff ma cuban cigar in tha hood!
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Nobody: 1:49pm On Dec 26, 2013
Ni yoruba?
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
zeemoore: Ni yoruba?
Wobi Omo to shan kilo nshele? lati idaji ni mo tin jekiri, pelu oko alafe mi tuntun lori omi. Tawole jareh, Orekelewa, jeka malor jor, mo fe lo fa siga kuba mi l'abete.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2013
Another beautiful day from The Spring of Life. Glory be to God in the Highest, Amen. Here comes one of the most beautiful Yoruba proverb that I know: 'Ori lonise, eda layonmor'. Yes I know its musical, remember? So do I. So what does the mantra have for us?
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 11:25am On Dec 27, 2013
The significance of the above mantra is this: Ori lonishe, Eda la yan mor. it means "to the head belong deeds, but to the creation is what pertains with each of them". Put more aptly, "Man propose, God disposes". Honestly, I often wonder if some folks before us were responsible for creating proverbs that look alike in different cultures through comparative studies. But some proverbs are unique and how it connect to other culture is of a different angle.

The main idea is, ori-lonishe, eda-layonmoh is the best alternative to man propose, God dispose. But "through comparative studies" that I just talked about is real, from it we got "riro ni t'eniyan, sise ni tolorun". In light of this, some folks had actually interpreted "man propose, God dispose" as "riro ni teniyan, sise ni tolorun" at a point in time. That means when we came in contact with western ideas we created a variant of their thought that impress us.

But beneath that, there is similar thought of the same value tucked somewhere in our own language, I don't know if I'm communicating. How that came to match I don't know, (though I used to know in the old world, where I am coming from. But I got to be free here lest I bring my flame everywhere I go!) undecided
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 12:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Now this is where it gets "voodooical". Everybody is interested here.

Ori is Yoruba equivalent for God, as used in the proverb, ori lonishe... Note that they did not say "Ori-nu", (translated roughly as luck or individual aura) which is different from "Ori" that is Head. Whenever we see Ori- and -Eda together, we know its duality of man and his creator. To the Yoruba, this goes together: Ori mi ye o jah! Ja funmi, eda mi ye o jah! Ja funmi.

Oni kaluku lo leleda tie

Everyone has his or her own Creator? Not particularly. Olorun-Eleda is an established phrase in Yoruba lexicon. People says, Tobaw'oluwa, Tobaw'Ori, Tobaw'Eleda mi. Eda is Yoruba homonym for replica or copy of the original. We are all replica of the creator, that make us his creation or each of us is a copy of the maker. When the Yoruba says Onikaluku lo leleda tie, (everyman with his own god?) they were saying everyone represent his maker, or everyone is a replica of the maker.

Its simple but not really simple once personal agenda is heavily enmeshed. But the truth should not always elude us forever, the value of the truth is to be found when needed, not when it's need is stale.

Ok for now. Again my name is Ladi, this is what I do, "word processing". It is a sweet science.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 9:08am On Dec 28, 2013
Gracious Creator, thanks for this beautiful day. Let take a sip from the drinks reserved in the ancient cistern again. The proverb on my mind says 'arise larika, arika baba iregun' What this means is telling: 'we got to do, hence we've got to read, we've got to read begot recrimination.' meaning: it is because of the available acts that recording was devised, and from records that one read springs recrimination.

The proverb ends with 'oun aba se loni, oro itan ni l'ola (whatever we do today is material for the records tomorrow). In my days here on the planet, I've seen recrimation spring from records, but I do believe we have power over all our weaknesses.

'If we choose to live in the present', warned the ancients, 'still mindful we must be of the future!'. Today is transient, the future counts. Whatever you do or rather, wherever you go... please, drink with wisdom today, okay? It's not a command, it's an advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 7:31am On Dec 29, 2013
This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

Today in Yoruba is called 'ojo aiku' meaning, the day of 'undo-death' or the day of resurrection. It's now clear that 'matching' of Christian doctrine underlay some Yoruba christian or doctrinal word, and one was adopted by Crowther? to match with 'Sunday', in 'seven-day-progression' week of the Anglo/christian calendar.

the Yoruba has a loose or flexible calendar, they do take reading for an event after it occur and count three, five seven and fortnight, and then to forty one days. Ita, Orun, Ije, Itadogun, Ogoji Ojo and so on.

It never occur to Christian Yoruba that traditional Yoruba has the concept of Resurrection, so they coin the term AJINDE for the same word that has just been given as Resurrection. But there in the language is the concept of "Aiku" unattended to. Do you see the 'word and feedback' process in all this?
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by ladionline: 7:52am On Dec 29, 2013
The above is pertinent to this proverb: Ori eni la ba bo, a ba forisha sile. Igba tiku npani, nibo lorisha nwo? meaning: it is better to worship one's maker and leave the gods alone. Where were the gods when one is being killed by death? In Yoruba cosmology, death is not the end, ressurection is. So they would say 'aiku pari iwa'.This mantra means 'undoing of death is the end of existence'. Thank you Yoruba, thanks Crowther, thank you Jesus, you all get to me. I'm off to church.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by Ravenglass: 7:04am On Jul 05, 2018
ladionline:
The above is pertinent to this proverb: Ori eni la ba bo, a ba forisha sile. Igba tiku npani, nibo lorisha nwo? meaning: it is better to worship one's maker and leave the gods alone. Where were the gods when one is being killed by death? In Yoruba cosmology, death is not the end, ressurection is. So they would say 'aiku pari iwa'.This mantra means 'undoing of death is the end of existence'. Thank you Yoruba, thanks Crowther, you Jesus, you all get to me. I'm off to church.

HI Ladi...

You stopped updating.. Why?

Its such a cool thread.
Re: Yoruba Offensive Proverbs by budaatum: 5:52pm On Jan 11, 2019

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Oba Of Benin 7th Virgin Wife Crowned Queen, 1st 3wives To Live As Outcasts / Why Do Nairalanders Have An Obsession With Skin Tones? / The Gad & Eri Lie And The Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.