Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,852 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

2013/2104 Season Winter Champions For Europe’s Top Leagues And Predictions. - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / 2013/2104 Season Winter Champions For Europe’s Top Leagues And Predictions. (977 Views)

Weekend Soccer fixtures, Preview, And Predictions. also Make Your Predictions / Europe’s Top Clubs Spend Billions In Player Bonanza / TRANSFER UPDATE: Latest Transfers From Top Leagues In Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2013/2104 Season Winter Champions For Europe’s Top Leagues And Predictions. by itsrandeeboi(m): 1:21am On Dec 25, 2013
So Christmas and the end of the year is upon us and, at the same time, the season is almost at its half-way point (already at it in some leagues). I’ll just list the teams who are currently top of the log at Christmas and how historically, they fared after being top at the end of the year in previous years:

English/Barclays Premier League:

Christmas Champions (There is still a match left in the EPL before the year ends so we can’t say who the winter champions are yet as Arsenal can still take top spot going into the new year if Liverpool lose to city on Thursday and Arsenal win against West Ham): Liverpool FC.

Runner-up: Arsenal FC

The History: In the premier league era (1992 to date), no team has ever won the premier league being lower than sixth position on Christmas day, so Manchester United fans might have cause for despair as to their team’s chances of retaining the league title this season. Arsenal, who must have been sore to see Liverpool leapfrog them into top spot on the log can take solace from history as Arsenal have never won the premiership in modern era after being first at Christmas day. The three times they have won the Barclay’s Premier League have seen them in second place twice and in sixth place once so they can take some faith from that. Liverpool have never won the EPL in modern times so they might as well disregard history and give the title a shot.

End of Season Predictions: Well, at the start of the season (on another blog), I predicted that City, Man United and Chelsea would struggle for consistency (which they have) and that it was Arsenal and Liverpool’s chance to take (which they are doing). I predict a heart-stopping finish to the season with at least five clubs jostling for the top four spots in the EPL. Arsenal, Liverpool or City to win the league.

Spanish La Liga:

Winter Champions: FC Barcelona

Runner-up: Athletico Madrid

The History: I’ve been trying to get detailed stats on how Barcelona has fared on being Champions at the winter break but in recent times, Barcelona has gone on to win the league title much of the times they were top of the league at Christmas. Not that Madrid haven’t found themselves behind at mid-season and still went on to win the league before so they would be hoping to pull that off this season.

The Prediction: Madrid are still fairly inconsistent as far as local results are concerned and seem to fixed on European attentions, the result being that not just Barcelona, but Athletico Madrid are ahead of them on the log. I predict that they longer they progress in Europe, the more ground they will give to Barcelona. Athletico Madrid might finally finish ahead of Real for the first time in quite a while and I predict them to keep up the tempo all the way to the end of the season. La Liga this year is more likely to be a three horse race than the two of previous years.

http://randeerandle.ga/footie-footie/2013/12/20132104-season-winter-champions-for-europes-top-leagues-and-predictions/
Re: 2013/2104 Season Winter Champions For Europe’s Top Leagues And Predictions. by itsrandeeboi(m): 1:25am On Dec 25, 2013
Italian Serie A:

Winter Champions: Juventus (unsurpisingly)

Runner-up: AS Roma

The History: Juventus have finished as winter champions sixteen times in their history and have gone on to win the league thirteen of those sixteen times. AS Roma, of course, are quite familiar with not being winter champions but have gone on to win the league several times even while not being winter champions for those seasons.

The Prediction: Juventus is very likely to retain the league with little trouble and if they lose it to any of their title rivals, it would be more likely down to their own failures than to their opponent’s strengths. AS Roma and Napoli WILL provide a strong test on the way though but I expect the Bianconeri to see of their challenge to clinch this seaosn’s title.

German Bundesliga:

Winter Champions: Bayern Munich (unsurprisingly too)

Runner-up: Bayer Leverkusen (surprisingly)

The History: Bayern are no strangers to being winter champions and going on to eventually clinch the title. However, so are Borussia Dortmund and in the last few years, both clubs have been both winter champions and eventual league winners.

The Prediction: Barring the most epic collapse in world football history, Bayern will walk away with the league title this season. They are seven points clear at the top of the table and still have a game in hand (which we all expect them to win) so there’s that. I expect Borussia Dortmund to recover from their surprising slump to finish the season strongly. They currently lie in 4th place, eleven points behind Bayern Munich (potentially 14 pints) and behind both Bayer Leverkusen and Borussia Monchengladbach. Second place might be a bit of a battle this season.

French Ligue 1:

Winter Champions: Paris Saint-Germain (PSG)

Runner-up: AS Monaco

The History: Well, as far as the midway point in the season in France and history go, I am pretty uneducated on that subject. I would like anyone who knows more about it to supply the stats.

The Prediction: From the start of the season, I predicted that the battle for the league title would be a close run race between PSG and Monaco; and so it has turned put. What I didn’t see is Lille stealing a march on the other sides in the league like Lyon and Marseille to position themselves in third, four points behind leaders, PSG and firmly in title contention. Definitely, one of PSG or Monaco will win the league. I tip PSG to win as they have had more time to play as a team than Monaco and will very well get through the fatigue periods of the season. However, history does not favour them as no French league champions have won the title back to back since Lyon relinquished the title in the 2007-2008 season. Incidentally, no team has also finished second back-to-back in the same time frame.

And that’s it; the winter champions for the 2013-2014 season and my predictions on how the season will finish. Have a different opinion? Add your comment!

http://randeerandle.ga/footie-footie/2013/12/20132104-season-winter-champions-for-europes-top-leagues-and-predictions/

(1) (Reply)

Who's Better Ronaldinho Or Henry / Which League Is The Most Entertaining? / Man Utd Fan Drove Bus Into Barca Fans, 4 Dead - A Nation Of Idiots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.