Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,171 members, 7,807,547 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Reverend Defrocked After Conducting Son's Gay Wedding - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Reverend Defrocked After Conducting Son's Gay Wedding (489 Views)

Photos: Brazil Hosts Mass Gay Wedding For 130 Couples / Shocking: 200 People Attend First Gay Wedding in South African Town (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Reverend Defrocked After Conducting Son's Gay Wedding by Ojowanle: 1:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
A United Methodist pastor from central Pennsylvania who officiated his son’s gay wedding in Massachusetts has been defrocked according to Sky News.

The Reverend Frank Schaefer disobeyed calls from church officials to follow the denomination’s Book of Discipline, saying it discriminated against gay people.

Rev Schaefer, who was already serving a suspension, said earlier this week he would not voluntarily surrender his credentials despite church officials calling for his resignation.

Following a short meeting on Thursday, church spokesman John Coleman said officials decided to defrock the reverend.

“When I went into the hearing this morning … I was hopeful it wouldn’t come to what it has come to – my defrockment,” Rev Schaefer said at a news conference.

“I said to myself: ‘I can’t see them taking my credentials. What I did was an act of love.’”

Rev Schaefer said several officials were in tears after the meeting and told him they still supported him but that they had to make the decision to ban him.

“I am upset and I am disappointed, but I am not upset at my colleagues or the church,” he said.

“I’m upset at the exclusionary policies that we have in place, and we must change those policies.

“I will not give up the fight. I am still a minister in my heart, and I will continue to minister and to be a voice for the LGBT community.”

Rev Schaefer initially was handed a 30-day suspension for officiating the 2007 wedding of his gay son in Massachusetts, where same-sex unions are legal.

Although the Methodist church accepts gay and lesbian members, it rejects the practise of homosexuality as “incompatible with Christian teaching”.

- See more at: http://www.urnaija.com/reverend-defrocked-after-conducting-sons-gay-wedding-in-the-us/
Re: Reverend Defrocked After Conducting Son's Gay Wedding by Nobody: 2:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
Ojowanle:

Although the Methodist church accepts gay and lesbian members, it rejects the practise of homosexuality as “incompatible with Christian teaching”.

if they can accept them as MEMBERS which is incompatible with christian teachings why should they suddenly dissallow their marriage and give excuse as been incompatible with christian teachings
Re: Reverend Defrocked After Conducting Son's Gay Wedding by ckkris: 3:02pm On Dec 26, 2013
Sheykul Islam:

if they can accept them as MEMBERS

You are also aware homosexuals in Kano and the Moslem part of Northern Nigeria, the dan daudu.

(1) (Reply)

Ukranian Troops Abandon Luhansk Airport After Clashes Rebels Vow To Recapture / Is Peace Or War At Hand? — Paul Craig Roberts / Us Gay Marriage: Robert Mugabe Asks Obama To Marry Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.