Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,863 members, 7,806,445 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter (1109 Views)

APC Reveals Transition Committee’s Terms Of Reference That Earned Buhari FG Rebu / Ajimobi, New Re-Elected Oyo Governor Got A Kiss From His Wife. / Reference Letter Written By Schindler Jews To Oscar Schinlder In 1945 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by Francis5: 7:54pm On Dec 26, 2013
Miracles do happen. I have been in the US for 4.5 years now and have been working and living somewhere in the Mid West (MW), in a town where you can count the number of ''black'' people, let alone Nigerians. I got bored of the MW and have been looking to change my job since June.

I applied for a dream job in Washington DC and after 4 months of waiting I was called for an interview; flights, airport shuttles and hotel accommodation at The Marriot xxxx Hotel were all arranged and paid for by the organization. In the interview I made a PowerPoint presentation of my interests and what I am bringing to the organization and was subsequently interviewed by four persons, including the head of the organization. Among other questions, I was asked what I could do with one million dollars if given that sum as an operational budget.

Anyways, I impressed them so much that I immediately knew I had the job; I would have been shocked to the bone marrow if the job was not offered me.

So a week ago I got the much-awaited news: job offered with total remuneration package of about $135K per annum. Lots of travel including to Africa -Travel Insurance premium all to be paid for. Hm!!!! Seems my American dream is coming to pass slowly.

What was most surprising to me was that I did not provide any referee names on my CV, no reference letters were requested for, and non was provided by me or on my behalf by anyone. I was actually waiting to be asked to supply the names of ''three referees'', as usual. Nevertheless, I am quite visible on the internet, so they might have googled me and seen me for what I am.

Still, this is a miracle though for America, where multiple recommendation is key to virtually every form of employment, not less for a ''bloody'' (lolz) Naija man like me. I have till 15th Jan 2014 to accept the offer, and although $135 K is a very great remuneration even in DC, especially for a ''small fry'' like me, I am thinking of asking for a raise to $150K. Yeske, I wan bluff them small now. Hhahaha!!! But if they fall ''mugu'' and accede to my request, man go chop now.

God (Chukwu) is great.

5 Likes

Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by Francis5: 8:02pm On Dec 26, 2013
And hey, the highest salary I earned in Nigeria back then (just a few years ago) was a ''paltry'' (by American standard) 4000 dollars per annum. Still big money for me back then as a fresh graduate.
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by slikcipher(m): 8:26pm On Dec 26, 2013
That's great.

Be a good ambassador. Rep Naija wella.

God bless.

if I may ask.... how did you answer the question of 1mill USD. Thanks
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by critique101(f): 8:28pm On Dec 26, 2013
135 thousand dollars?! Nna are u ready to mingle? Lol. Mehn
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by Obascoetubi: 8:33pm On Dec 26, 2013
it may be cultis job
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by dejt4u(m): 8:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
Obascoetubi: it may be cultis job
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by fyneguy: 8:57pm On Dec 26, 2013
critique101: 135 thousand dollars?! Nna are u ready to mingle? Lol. Mehn

He's not ready. Please dont distract him grin

1 Like

Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by Wallie(m): 9:25pm On Dec 26, 2013
@Francis

References are not always checked and most of the time you can just give the names of your family members if you have no other references. Even when they call, the questions they ask are very mundane like how long have you known X and would you hire X. Anyway, you're slowly making your way to become an HENRY (High Earners, Not Rich Yet). cheesy Good luck with your new job!
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by redsun(m): 9:30pm On Dec 26, 2013
To get a high flying job without verified reference sounds a little shady.You better make sure you are not falling for one of those psychedelic companies that springs up today and the nest day they are gone.

A white can get away without reference,but for a blackman in a genuine organization,it will take you to be an einstein to be easily overlooked.
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by fyneguy: 11:32pm On Dec 26, 2013
redsun: To get a high flying job without verified reference sounds a little shady.You better make sure you are not falling for one of those psychedelic companies that springs up today and the nest day they are gone.

A white can get away without reference,but for a blackman in a genuine organization,it will take you to be an einstein to be easily overlooked.

That;s why he called it a miracle.

I have several of such. I was supposed to get Mountain Dew franchise for Nigeria but I blew the opportunity because it looked too good to be real
Re: This December I Got A High-paying Job In The US Without A Reference Letter by ChrisOD: 3:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Congrats Bro.

(1) (Reply)

Malala In Nigeria, Asks Boko Haram To Free Chibok Girls. / $15bn Coastal Rail Project ‘ll Boost Nigeria’s GDP / "Boko Haram Are Justice Fighters" - PDP Chairman 'bamanga Tukur'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.