Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) - Fashion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) (858295 Views)

Run Way Photos From Valisimo Fashion Show.Enjoy / Lagos Party...........get Inspration On Styles To Sew.......(valisimo Fashions) / Fashion School Practicals......enjoy The Pics (from Valisimo Fashion School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (74) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by toytuns(f): 5:42am On Dec 31, 2013
nice job following
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Wendy80(f): 11:21am On Dec 31, 2013
Thaanx Dear Efosa, wht I appreciate most abt Ur thread is the fact that uteach evrythn here and not refering us 2ur blog which makes it easy n fast....and taking it from †ЂΞ scratch .thanx once more......

7 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
Wendy80: Thaanx Dear Efosa, wht I appreciate most abt Ur thread is the fact that uteach evrythn here and not refering us 2ur blog which makes it easy n fast....and taking it from †ЂΞ scratch .thanx once more......

Supper hugs for you all my pips,and God bless you.you all inspire me.and thanks

Toytuns I see youwink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by aurora(f): 2:27pm On Dec 31, 2013
Efosa, thank you for taking time to do this. You don‘t know how much you have impacted my life by this thread. Definitely following smiley

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
aurora: Efosa, thank you for taking time to do this. You don‘t know how much you have impacted my life by this thread. Definitely following smiley

Thanks so much aurora,hope you all had a wonderful cross over.I did at my watch night service we were told to upgrade our capasity to love and and help others,so watch out folks coz am gonna be showing some real upgraded love this year (yes I rep Daystar all the way)cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 3:04pm On Jan 01, 2014
*********back to class

Its time to start sewing.we are going to start with a simple stright skirt

Remember our measurement class and our block ,we would be needing it now to make our skirt.

Areas to measure

Waist circumfrence
Hip circumfrence
Length from waist to the kneews

On our block construction. The skirt will have just two basic blocks.front and back block

4 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Wendy80(f): 3:05pm On Jan 01, 2014
Following, my material ddon ready

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by bafm(f): 3:51pm On Jan 01, 2014
EFOSA VAL: Now that we are almost done with most of these fashion concepts get your fabrics ready coz the sewing shall soon start wink

In the main time pls send in pictures and name the shapes.remember its the let's sew for fun class.........oya cheesy
Kudos to u Efosa,can't wait to start sewing..
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by babs2011(f): 4:43pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy new year folks!

Thank you so much Efosa for starting this online class. One of my new year goals is to learn how to sew and I have had my equipment (standard sewing machine and a mini one I bought in October) all set with the other tools for a few months now. Hubby has been bugging me about when am i going to start learning etc..
So far I've just been researching online how to go about starting so this thread is timely indeed.
Taking notes and following along closely!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by nikkie90(f): 4:52pm On Jan 01, 2014
@ Efosa, pls I'd love to ask if we're going to be cutting using pattern or free hand?tnks a bunch smiley
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tolukem(f): 2:47am On Jan 02, 2014
Thank u sooo much Efosa, sending u an E hug, u broke everything down like the pro u are,I have my material for the skirt already, can't wait to make it, happy new year to you and your family, may this year be a profitable and prosperous one for u!

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by ibufunky: 9:33am On Jan 02, 2014
kissHi efosa,ds is rili a nyc thread I mst say,nd to think dt u started frm d 'abc' of sewin,thank u soo mch..I am sooo followin ds thread
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
Bafm,Tolukem,weddy80,babs2011 thanks to you all.am really glad that this thread has helped you individually.stay true to your passion coz one day it will make ur dreams come true smiley

nikkie90: @ Efosa, pls I'd love to ask if we're going to be cutting using pattern or free hand?tnks a bunch smiley

Nice question dear,we will be useing the two,for a beginner most times to really understand the concept of cutting to size,style and functionality,learners tend to use up more than the necesarry fabric for each task,then came the briliant idea of using paper for pattern drafting frist before placing to cut out on your fabric.so if you are sure of ur cutting you can skip the pattern,but if you are new to this I storngly suggest that u use pattern before you cut ur fabric.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by beriangel(f): 9:03pm On Jan 03, 2014
Rli luvin dis.............just came upon dis.........staarted sewin classes few mths bak nd dis wil go a long way 2 help m perfect my work.
Closely followin....................tanx 4 dis Efosa

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
How una dey grin

beriangel: Rli luvin dis.............just came upon dis.........staarted sewin classes few mths bak nd dis wil go a long way 2 help m perfect my work.
Closely followin....................tanx 4 dis Efosa

Thanks to u too for joining us here
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
EFOSA VAL: *********back to class
Its time to start sewing.we are going to start with a simple stright skirt
Remember our measurement class and our block ,we would be needing it now to make our skirt.
Areas to measure
Waist circumfrence
Hip circumfrence
Length from waist to the kneews
On our block construction. The skirt will have just two basic blocks.front and back block

Hope you've got your fabrics and brown paper ready for this,I would like to work with a time frame so that we always have some thing new to dowink

My Measurement Areas

Waist circumfrence-36
Hip circumfrence 42
Length from waist to the kneews 27

My pattern construction calculation

To get this remember we are having 2 blocks here the front and the back part of the skirt.so it means my waist and hip measurement will be divided into 2 equal parts.

Waist is 36÷2 =18
Hip is 42÷2=21

Between the hip and the waist the hip is more so we use that to cut out our material placed on fold.so I would have my material cut out this way 21 by 27.the 21 is the hip measurement I divided into 2,while the 27measurement is for the lenght of my skirt.

Pictures and diagrams. Coming soon.in the main time do yours using your measurement

Note that I did not talk about seam alowance now.its delibrate and I will explain why.wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by nikkie90(f): 10:02am On Jan 04, 2014
Ok na, tnks...wnted to ask abt seam allowance.
I av a question pls, 21 by 27 placed on fold,by the time we open up d fold its goin to be 42 by 27 right?which means it has covered both front and back

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by estyy2(f): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
@nikkle90,yes it's 4 front&back block bt remember no seam&dart allowance yet as Efosa had said

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by igbi: 4:27pm On Jan 04, 2014
hi efosa,i did a 3months sewing class and want to buy my machine pls where can i buy these type that come with 14-20 stiches and where i stay in abuja,saw some on aliexpress but not sure,i already have this normal black head but want to upgrade,pls advice,thanks

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by JECU: 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2014
@Efosa pls what is d cost of aquiring this normal butterfly machine?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Evahomon: 8:42pm On Jan 04, 2014
dis is d best gift for d new yr.thanks valisimo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by KBARBIE(f): 12:23am On Jan 05, 2014
thanks efosa really gained a lot...gd nyt...i ope classes resumes tomao.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:16am On Jan 05, 2014
estyy2: @nikkle90,yes it's 4 front&back block bt remember no seam&dart allowance yet as Efosa had said

Estyy2 cheesy Fantastic anwser dear,thanks so much. Nikkle90 don't worry dear as soon as I post diagrams it will all be clearwink

Sewing machine questions

Igib I am not too familiar with abuja so I may not be able to tell you of where to buy in abuja,but as for lagos I can coz I stay here in lagos.you can get at agege,mushin ,begger,and lagos idumuta.

Jecu the price of butter fly is between 18-22k depending on where you go to buy urs,but if its other names you can get them at 17-19,5k

Evahomonand and kbarbie. For real guys you all have blessed me more with all your prayers.thanks so much, I am so happy that you guys are out there keeping the fire and passion for fashion designing alive.God bless you all.cheesy

Kbarbie,.***********class starts now cheesywink

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:39am On Jan 05, 2014
EFOSA VAL:
Hope you've got your fabrics and brown paper ready for this,I would like to work with a time frame so that we always have some thing new to dowink
My Measurement Areas
Waist circumfrence-36
Hip circumfrence 42
Length from waist to the kneews 27
My pattern construction calculation
To get this remember we are having 2 blocks here the front and the back part of the skirt.so it means my waist and hip measurement will be divided into 2 equal parts.
Waist is 36÷2 =18
Hip is 42÷2=21
Between the hip and the waist the hip is more so we use that to cut out our material placed on fold.so I would have my material cut out this way 21 by 27.the 21 is the hip measurement I divided into 2,while the 27measurement is for the lenght of my skirt.
Pictures and diagrams. Coming soon.in the main time do yours using your measurement
Note that I did not talk about seam alowance now.its delibrate and I will explain why.wink

Ok smiley
Here are the diagrams I promised.
The frist one is ur fabric cut out with the biggest part which is the hip plus the lenght

4 Shares

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 1:46am On Jan 05, 2014
The second diagram is the waist shaped out of the hip by adding darts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 5:53am On Jan 05, 2014
Thanks Efosa... Pls kia kia oh, let's start cutting and m waiting for the seam allowance explanation. Adrenaline rush. Thanks.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:21am On Jan 05, 2014
INDESTRUCTABLEX: Thanks Efosa... Pls kia kia oh, let's start cutting and m waiting for the seam allowance explanation. Adrenaline rush. Thanks.

No probs dear,you will today cheesy

Now class I hope the front is clear with the diagram? Coz we moving to the back
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2014
Back Block construction,

Remember we divided my waist and hip circumfrence into two,and we only worked with the front side.now we would calculate for the back using the same measurement.

Waist. 36 ÷2 =18
Hip. 42÷2 = 21
The length remain 27

At this point its time to make space for our zip at the back of the skirt.21 is the fullest part and will still use it.when you place that on fold you will have 10.5

To that 10.5 you will add zip space .I want to use 2inches for that
So I will have 10.5 + 2= 12.5 by 27 for my fabric placed on fold.

see diagrams below

3 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Nobody: 9:55am On Jan 05, 2014
Thank u for all ur efforts Efosa, God bless u. Please how do I measure d gap between the waist and hip? Frm d diagram, it looks as if u shape out d back side

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
Èlèyinju Ègé: Thank u for all ur efforts Efosa, God bless u. Please how do I measure d gap between the waist and hip? Frm d diagram, it looks as if u shape out d back side

Very nice question Ege wink
That gap is called the Hip Depth
And to get this, Measure from the side of your waist to where the widest part of your hip is.

As for the shape on the waist,yes the measurement gave us the shape.since we used the hip measurement which is 21,hence at the waist we must reduce it to 18.that's why I introduced the dart in order to make it 18.

Now, to get the length of the dart divide what ever you get from the Hip Depth in two that will be the lenght of your dart from waist down.

Seam allowance
To get this, place the pattern you've made on paper (that's the front and back block ) on the main material you intend to use for skirt project.

On the sides add 1inch or 1.5 for seam allowance.at the center of the waist go down by 1inch and cut out for the shape required at the tommy part.the seam allowance on the waist can be half inch while at the down part where your legs are we can use 1inch for seam there. Mark all these places out and on the main fabric and cut out.

Yes people we are ready to sew nowcheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by elektra(f): 1:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ah Efosa, how do I thank you? You are concise and clear in your explanations.
please do we need linen for this project?

4 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
elektra: Ah Efosa, how do I thank you? You are concise and clear in your explanations.
please do we need linen for this project?

Thanks so much elektra,as for the linen,not yet lets do this one with out.

The last thing we would need to cut on this skirt is the band.to do this use the circumference of the waist to get it and add 2inch for seam and botton/band overlap

Edited January 2017 to add the following information

You can watch all this process at home by just getting my DVD.its so detailed and it's also very cheap too. wink at 5k per volume undecided
The volume 1and 2 is 10k grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (74) (Reply)

Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles / Best Skin Lightening/toning Soap / ~ The Hair Gallery For Short,Natural,Weave Or Braids ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.