Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 AM

Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) - Fashion (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) (858261 Views)

Run Way Photos From Valisimo Fashion Show.Enjoy / Lagos Party...........get Inspration On Styles To Sew.......(valisimo Fashions) / Fashion School Practicals......enjoy The Pics (from Valisimo Fashion School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (74) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Tirham1: 10:05pm On Oct 25, 2014
nobledeals:
well done ma, please where will one stop in measuring the half lenght
somewia around d knee i think

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tapingil(m): 10:45pm On Oct 25, 2014
tapingil:

I shud be 1 inch b4 the navel...(I think)...others shud say sumtin na

I said this thinking it was for blouse oo.. Sorry..
#Mymistake

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by omoaderuwe(f): 12:44am On Oct 26, 2014
tapingil:

The half length she's talking about is actually on d skirt and it is usually measured @ a point above d knee..........this part is very improtant cos it helps easy movement and prevent knee lock. I was tot dat it is 19 inches from d waist

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by nobledeals(f): 3:41am On Oct 26, 2014
tapingil:

thanks sis, I meant for the skirt
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by nobledeals(f): 3:45am On Oct 26, 2014
omoaderuwe:

The half length she's talking about is actually on d skirt and it is usually measured @ a point above d knee..........this part is very improtant cos it helps easy movement and prevent knee lock. I was tot dat it is 19 inches from d waist

OK
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by charispersnifid: 8:33pm On Oct 26, 2014
I shud be 1 inch b4 the navel...(I think)...others shud say sumtin na[/quote]

grin[quote author=tapingil post=27452768]
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jslimz(f): 9:33am On Oct 27, 2014
Though I'm a silent follower, please I need help from the members of the house.

I have issues sewing on a zip with my machine. Please, could someone help explain it for me. Or do I have to buy a zipper foot for my machine?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by noncy21: 10:51am On Oct 27, 2014
jslimz:
Though I'm a silent follower, please I need help from the members of the house.

I have issues sewing on a zip with my machine. Please, could someone help explain it for me. Or do I have to buy a zipper foot for my machine?
I av the same problem so I changed my needle from size 14 to size 16. Since then, I av never encounter problem on sewing a zip. I suggest u do the same.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jslimz(f): 2:17pm On Oct 27, 2014
noncy21:
I av the same problem so I changed my needle from size 14 to size 16. Since then, I av never encounter problem on sewing a zip. I suggest u do the same.

Thanks, I just bought a size 16 needle a few days back. Will give it a try.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by mariposa01: 5:54pm On Oct 27, 2014
Ladies I am so late with my assignments.

The free dress

The peplum top ( I made this few months ago though grin)

The gathered skirt

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:04am On Oct 28, 2014
Hummm so nice to see this is interactive. grin

And moriposa01 finally you made it in.very cool well done ladies
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:24am On Oct 28, 2014
EFOSAVAL:
My measurement is
Waist 37
Hip 44
Half length 18
Full length 43
Now I have 3 yards for this project that means I
have 36 ×3=108 inches to work with.thats what I will use for my folding.also note that 6 piece skirt would have 7 different pieces coz the center back will be cut into two for the zip.

I think I want to add more fabric cheesy
So now I will work with 4 yards instead of 3
Remember its the same process
All you do is multiply the yards by the number u have.

36x4=144

Now as I was explaining b4,in a six piece skirt that would have the zip at the center back the cuts would be seven not six just to accommodate the zip at the center back and at the end the skirt is still called a six piece skirt **---- grin

But a six piece skirt that would have the zip at the side would have just six cuts without extrals
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 8:17am On Oct 28, 2014
Now the division part of my skirt

There is a simple rule here.....the biggest part of the measurement is the most important out of all.let's divide first, I will explain what I mean later.

I only need to divide all that is measured round the body not the length.. They are the waist and hip as well as the total yards am using which forms the circumference area.

Waist 37÷6 =6.1
Hip. 44÷6 =7.3
Circumference 144 ÷6=24.

Now remember what I said about the biggest part being the most important.... Its because out of the biggest measurement you can get the smaller ones

Here the biggest part is the 24. This means each panel will be 24 and I can get my waist 6.1 and my hip 7.3 with seam allowance for these parts out of the 24.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by icebebe(f): 8:28am On Oct 28, 2014
EFOSAVAL:
Now the division part of my skirt

There is a simple rule here.....the biggest part of the measurement is the most important out of all.let's divide first, I will explain what I mean later.

I only need to divide all that is measured round the body not the length.. They are the waist and hip as well as the total yards am using which forms the circumference area.

Waist 37÷6 =6.1
Hip. 44÷6 =7.3
Circumference 144 ÷6=24.

Now remember what I said about the biggest part being the most important.... Its because out of the biggest measurement you can get the smaller ones

Here the biggest part is the 24. This means each panel will be 24 and I can get my waist 6.1 and my hip 7.3 with seam allowance for these parts out of the 24.
pls wen u say circumference do u mean frm d kneel downward(flare)?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by bimbam(f): 1:06pm On Oct 28, 2014
icebebe:

Circumference here refers to the hemline (the bottom of the skirt near the floor). Each panel's hem width will be 24, making for a very, very full flare below the knees.

HTH

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by mariposa01: 1:20pm On Oct 28, 2014
icebebe:

Remember the circumference depends on the amount of material you have. Val has 4 yards which is 144 inches, you may have less than that so you have to measure accordingly. Typically the more material you have, the fuller your skirt.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by adwabs: 3:58pm On Oct 28, 2014
Jst joined, hope A̶̲̥̅♏ nt too late. Really love what Ɣ☺ΰ̊ re doing Val. I wish Ɣ☺ΰ̊ strength upon strength.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by babenu(f): 7:23pm On Oct 28, 2014
I just join 2, thanks 4 d good work.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by babenu(f): 7:24pm On Oct 28, 2014
I just join 2, thanks 4 d good work. This thread is d best!
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Moradeeke(f): 8:14pm On Oct 28, 2014
tapingil:

I said this thinking it was for blouse oo.. Sorry..
#Mymistake

I thank God for d mistake, cos d info was for me. av bn searching for accurate measurement for long. thank God once again, Alhamdulillahi. kudos to u, i really appreciate d #mistake
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by tapingil(m): 9:47pm On Oct 28, 2014
Moradeeke:

I thank God for d mistake, cos d info was for me. av bn searching for accurate measurement for long. thank God once again, Alhamdulillahi. kudos to u, i really appreciate d #mistake

Well... Am really happy it cud be of use to u. Its 1 of the few advantages of ths been an interractive class.

#everymistakeablessing

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by pishon: 10:43pm On Oct 28, 2014
ve been away for sometime no thanks to my phone. @Efozal, congratulation on your success ma I'm very sure this is just the begining of good things for you cause you've payed the price in a big way. I'm so glad with this 6 pieces skirt o. But please I have a question as per the breast cut top: with what I'm seeing this look like a princess dart to me except for the cut at d armpit can you pls throw more light on this or what is the difference between this and a princess dart stlye. I'm sorry for taking us back thanks.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by winie(f): 3:19pm On Oct 29, 2014
My straight skirt.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:38pm On Oct 29, 2014
Hello to all. cheesy hope you all had a great day

Welcome to all that are just joining us wink

Now let me remind us where we are on the six piece skirt.we were at the division part of our project.i see some questions were raised As regards the circumference and it's been answered perfectly too grin Thanks guys.

now before I continue let me quickly answer the bust cut questions

Bust cut, Princess cut/line b.r.e.a.s.t pad, etc they are all names used to describe the process of dart manipulation.dart manipulation on the bust is the process of creating space for the b.r.e.a.s.t .The ideal shape of a woman is for the bust to be bigger than the waist and the hips in bigger than the bust
You as the designer will determine how you want to crate space for the bust.and when you cut be sure to add seam allowance to it for joining it back.see the diagram below

5 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by pishon: 8:17pm On Oct 30, 2014
Wow! Thanks ma.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Nobody: 9:06pm On Oct 30, 2014
pls Efosaval, how do I determine how many yards I need for a particular style? wat body measurement do I take to determine how many yards I need? Thanks
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by winie(f): 11:26am On Oct 31, 2014
Rocking my cowl neck. Thanks Efosa!

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Blessedmum(f): 2:56pm On Oct 31, 2014
@Efosa,I must say dat u're doing a very gud job with this online training may God continually bless you.Plz I need u to help explain the cutting of flare skirt/gown(dunno if u av treated it already),I got confused while making attempts to cut it. Plz if any other person knows it I don't mind if u explain.Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by winie(f): 8:11pm On Oct 31, 2014
Blessedmum:
@Efosa,I must say dat u're doing a very gud job with this online training may God continually bless you.Plz I need u to help explain the cutting of flare skirt/gown(dunno if u av treated it already),I got confused while making attempts to cut it. Plz if any other person knows it I don't mind if u explain.Thanks.
I had t go back and copy an earlier post by Efosa. Here goes: "My waist is 37.i fold my fabric into four to cut.i want my peplum to have big pleats so I will cut my waist area to be more than 37 inch in the end ". For the length, let's assume the length of your skirt is 25" then you will have to measure 27" from your waist. The extral 2" is for seam allowance at the waist and the hemming at the base. I hope this helps. Please ladies, help with more clarification in case I'm not on point. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Blessedmum(f): 8:33pm On Oct 31, 2014
@Winie,Thanks for d response,I actually understand dat part,where I got confused is how to fold into triangle shape&measure d length from d radius so it ll be even.D one I cut didn't give me equal length.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 10:05pm On Oct 31, 2014
Blessedmum:
@Winie,Thanks for d response,I actually understand dat part,where I got confused is how to fold into triangle shape&measure d length from d radius so it ll be even.D one I cut didn't give me equal length.

Just make sure your fabric is folded equally b4 you cut

Don't worry we will look at this topic again soon.lets finish with the skirt .I got my fabric today.that has been what's been delaying my post on the skirt so I will cut and post some stuffs on it tomorrow by God's grace.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
My fabric grin

Have u gotten yours yet? Pls post it

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (74) (Reply)

Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles / Best Skin Lightening/toning Soap / ~ The Hair Gallery For Short,Natural,Weave Or Braids ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.