Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:14 AM

Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) - Fashion (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) (857943 Views)

Run Way Photos From Valisimo Fashion Show.Enjoy / Lagos Party...........get Inspration On Styles To Sew.......(valisimo Fashions) / Fashion School Practicals......enjoy The Pics (from Valisimo Fashion School) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (74) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by bukkie80(f): 10:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
[quote author=EFOSAVAL post=20481179]You are welcome to this sew for fun thread.My name is Valerie Boglo the CEO of www.valisimofashions.com

I own a fashion school in lagos and I have trained many people who are now successful designers in their own esterblishment.

as my little way of giving back to my society I will love to help others who have interest in the profession to either start learning or perfect their skills.

Personally,it will be a thing of joy to me if I can help one ore two people like you out there to see the beauty in the art of making garments.

In my spear time I shall be posting picture of designs that we would all sew together.remember this is all for fun winkcheesy

More details coming soon.[/quote
Pls can we do some men's clothing?

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Ejuski: 7:32pm On Nov 25, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

I discuss female clothing more because that's my niche.
But at Valisimo fashion school We teach male female and kids.

To set up a fashion outfit alot of things must be put under careful consideration.

U must identify the area of tailoring you want to go into. Then become a master on that particular aspect because the quality of your service is directly related to the level of expertise you have also don't forget that generally a clients pay for value. ..Once they pay at first and you don't give value they will never come back.

Your location is also very important because this determines the kind of clients you would get and also how much they will be willing to pay for an outfit.

brand identity. Depending on how big or how u want to start you may require some Form of brand identity such as business name, call cards, fan pages, website, labels or tags. Branded bags etc all are ways to say I am here and ready to do business.

Professionalism is key to any business success, let your yes really mean yes avoid disappointing your clients.

Sometimes do promos and free gifts it just helps to build brand loyalty.

Before you start understudy some one first. i tell my students after their programme make sure you go for tailor wanted first this way you will see how they operate and you will be able to learn one or two things that will be useful to you while you are ready to set up
yours.

Have a good customer relationship. A clients will only be comfortable coming back if they feel they were attended to very well.

If I remember more I will post them but these few pointers are very necessary.

eye opener.....
thank you.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by MjveeQe: 10:51pm On Nov 25, 2014
Hello Mrs Valerie
Pls ma, are u going to start from the begining of last class
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 11:37pm On Nov 27, 2014
Hi every one cheesy wink.

Yes we were to make an off shoulder blouse for the 6 piece skirt we made last.
But been too busy to even do mine. embarassed

I did this off shoulder dress for a client recently.thank God I took some photos grin so I might use this dress to explain the concept of off shoulder. I just pray I have some time to spear this weekend so I can go over it well.

The off shoulder class by God's grace will start here on Sunday. So get ur fabrics ready for it.also note that you can make yours as a top or a dress.

3 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:05am On Nov 28, 2014
To those asking of Alison smiths book on dress making so sorry we still don't have it yet but we have good news for you ,Valisimo fashion school is presently working on an instructional DVD that on can watch at any comfortable time.selected topics will be on the DVD .

The good thing about this is that unlike the book that you can't finish reading in one day the CD u can Watch in one day if you want.u can plus play a d even rewind to ur own pace

.more details on this tomorrow wink

7 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Diijah: 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2014
estyy2:
@Kemmy06&Diijah, from my lil' knowledge,dis is how I draft my own armhole&it's been wrkin fyn for me

Thanks a lot. Very helpful
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by estyy2(f): 6:59pm On Nov 28, 2014
You are welcome, glad I cld b of help
Diijah:

Thanks a lot. Very helpful
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jadelyn007(f): 5:20am On Nov 29, 2014
Hello claSs, I have just found this thread a few days back n have bEen addicted, I must say u r doing a good job madam Efosaval n I pray that God bless you real good for your kind gesture.

I hv had a butterfly machine for long tho I only used it for amendments. I tried the skirt tutorial yesterday and I could actually cut out the pieces but the machine doesn't sew the fabric, I need advice on what to do please?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jadelyn007(f): 5:23am On Nov 29, 2014
EFOSAVAL:
To those asking of Alison smiths book on dress making so sorry we still don't have it yet but we have good news for you ,Valisimo fashion school is presently working on an instructional DVD that on can watch at any comfortable time.selected topics will be on the DVD .

The good thing about this is that unlike the book that you can't finish reading in one day the CD u can Watch in one day if you want.u can plus play a d even rewind to ur own pace

wow! This is a better idea, I'd prefer the CD method of learning. I hope we won't have to wait to long tho

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by hildajid(f): 10:17am On Nov 29, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

Wow dat wuld be nice am so intrested in d dvd concept , i hope it comes out soon and pls keep us posted

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
Thanks to all for all your support. Will definately keep every one posted..

]OFF SHOULDER BLOUSE

Our off shoulder class starts tomorrow Sunday as I earlier promised.hope your fabrics are ready.

Here are my measurement areas

Back 15
Neck 8
Sleeve 4
Arm 10
Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Point to point 8
Waist 36
Hip 44
Blouse half length 17
Full length 26

4 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jadelyn007(f): 3:56pm On Nov 29, 2014
EFOSAVAL:
Thanks to all for all your support. Will definately keep every on posted..

Our off shoulder class starts tomorrow Sunday as I earlier promised.hope your fabrics are ready.

Back 15
Neck 8
Sleeve 4
Arm 10
Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Point to point 8
Waist 36
Hip 44
Blouse half length 17
Full length 26
please advice me on how to sew a stretch material, d material I bot to practice d straight skirt is stretchy, my machine is not sewing it, how do I set it?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 4:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
jadelyn007:
please advice me on how to sew a stretch material, d material I bot to practice d straight skirt is stretchy, my machine is not sewing it, how do I set it?

U may need to add brown paper under the fabric and another on top of the fabric before placing it no the machine to sew.try this method and let's know if it works.also make sure you not sewing on gathers.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by jadelyn007(f): 4:50pm On Nov 29, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

U may need to add brown paper under the fabric and another on top of the fabric before placing it no the machine to sew.try this method and let's know if it works.also make sure you not sewing on gathers.
ok, thanks ma'am. I will let you know the outcome
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Moradeeke(f): 11:41pm On Nov 30, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

Back 15
Neck 8
Sleeve 4
Arm 10
Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Point to point 8
Waist 36
Hip 44
Blouse half length 17
Full length 26

Madam Efosa,am still awaiting our sunday off shoulder class as u promised.

av bn opening nairaland since morning to follow d class lesson. hope dr is no problem, ma?
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:09am On Dec 01, 2014
Moradeeke:

Madam Efosa,am still awaiting our sunday off shoulder class as u promised.

av bn opening nairaland since morning to follow d class lesson. hope dr is no problem, ma?

Oh dear had to attend an event with my husband "LAIF AWARDS" we got back so late that I just slept off....so sorry .But here we go cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 6:15am On Dec 01, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

Back 15
Neck 8
Sleeve 4
Arm 10
Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Point to point 8
Waist 36
Hip 44
Blouse half length 17
Full length 26

When making an off shoulder dress or blouse sleeve and neck is usually cut out .In order words we make a tube first and then return a portion of the sleeve back considering the length you want

Some people do the cutting as if they are cutting a normal on - shoulder blouse and then cut out the shoulder area, their reasons for doing it this way they say is to make them get the accurate cut but I think it's a waste of time and fabric [s]like one tailor I used to have those days hummmmm he would even go through the process of ironing airstay and warding only for him to cut it out again[/s] shocked that just gets me like dude stop wasting my resources jare shocked

The truth is all you need do is calculate the difference out and subtract that difference before u cut so u manage ur resources. wink

Now let's use my calculations to get the tube area.

4 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Kemmy06(f): 11:09am On Dec 01, 2014
first project i did,am so happy i could thanks to everyone God bless you all.

4 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:16pm On Dec 01, 2014
Kemmy06:
first project i did,am so happy i could thanks to everyone God bless you all.

grin grin grin well done. ....I am clapping for you dear.just keep it up wink

2 Likes

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:38pm On Dec 01, 2014
EFOSAVAL:

When making an off shoulder dress or blouse sleeve and neck is usually cut out .In order words we make a tube first and then return a portion of the sleeve back considering the length you want

Some people do the cutting as if they are cutting a normal on - shoulder blouse and then cut out the shoulder area, their reasons for doing it this way they say is to make them get the accurate cut but I think it's a waste of time and fabric [s]like one tailor I used to have those days hummmmm he would even go through the process of ironing airstay and warding only for him to cut it out again[/s] shocked that just gets me like dude stop wasting my resources jare shocked

The truth is all you need do is calculate the difference out and subtract that difference before u cut so u manage ur resources. wink

Now let's use my calculations to get the tube area.

Back 15
Neck 8
Sleeve 4
Arm 10

Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Point to point 8

Waist 36
Hip 44

Blouse half length 17
Full length 26

To do this tube I need my bust area and my half length.
The fullest part of the bust is what I will consider first coz out of it I can get the other measurements.

42 is the fullest part of my bust so I will divide that into two to make my front and back block
42 ÷2= 21
The half length is 17 but I will cut less than 17.its time I deduct my neck which is 8.i must consider seam allowance to sew the tube too so instead of cutting 8 I will cut 7.5 out. At 8 I am going for a very low neck off shoulder if not u can do 6 or 7 for your self

So I have removed 7.5 from 17 what I have left is 9.5
Next I use my 9.5 to length left to form the tube.

then I mark out my upper bust bust and under bust so I can shape out the bust cut. I also mark out the arm pit area going down by 2.

remember my bust is 42 and we divided that into 2 giving us 21.

now out of the 21 in front I want to make the center 8 while the 2 sides will be 13 ÷2=6.5 each.

In the picture below I placed the fabric on fold.so the center is 4.5 placed on fold.the half inch on the 4 is for seam allowance. Then the sides are instead of 6.5 which is the exact I add 2 inches extra making 8.5

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:47pm On Dec 02, 2014
After cutting fabric spread out looks like this

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 2:59pm On Dec 02, 2014
The back is easier all I did is place that my 21 for the back on fold then add allowance for zip on one side and add side seam allowance on the other side

then I marked out where my dart will be.
The picture below shows it all.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 3:05pm On Dec 02, 2014
Because I am using 2 different fabrics for this skirt and blouse I want to make the blouse have some element of the skirt.so I will add band using the fabric on the skirt.then I will make the sleeve area also with the fabric of the skirt.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 3:11pm On Dec 02, 2014
Next is the flear part.i place my fabric on 4 folds then measure out my waist measurement 36 plus extra because I want gathers on it

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 3:18pm On Dec 02, 2014
Placing all the cut out parts together I have this

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Kemmy06(f): 6:20pm On Dec 02, 2014
Pls don't understand how u get this measurement Upper bust 8 -39
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Thanks.
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by bimbam(f): 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2014
Kemmy06:
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Thanks.

Upper Bust: from her shoulder, measure 8" down, at that point, take the measurement around the body which will be 39

Bust: again from the shoulder, measure 11" down, at that exact point, measure around the body and you get 42

Under Bust: from the shoulder, measure 15" down, at that point, measurement will be 37" around the body

Those 3 numbers will be transferred to the fabric (how far down and how wide)...

HTH

These are her own measurements,... your own results will be different.

1 Like

Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by EFOSAVAL(f): 7:02pm On Dec 02, 2014
Kemmy06:
Bust line. 11-42
Under bust.15 -37
Thanks.

There are two types of measurement by length and the other is by circumference
From your shoulder down....We have upper bust length and under bust length. My upper bust is 8 bust 11 under bust 15.while the circumference are the 39 42 37
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by debbydominic(f): 5:58am On Dec 03, 2014
Please could you. Explain how you achieved the slant at the arm hole.and please could. You explain the other cuts and the allowance you used,is it the sam measurement as the princess seam.thank you
EFOSAVAL:
After cutting fabric spread out looks like this
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by debbydominic(f): 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
And please what calculation did you use for the sleeves

debbydominic:
Please could you. Explain how you achieved the slant at the arm hole.and please could. You explain the other cuts and the allowance you used,is it the sam measurement as the princess seam.thank you
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by Kemmy06(f): 5:39pm On Dec 03, 2014
Thanks so much God bless you and your family. cheers
Re: Let's Sew For Fun (**valisimo Fashion School Online Classroom**) by mariposa01: 9:56pm On Dec 04, 2014
Val I'm a little confused, you said you measured 7.5 for the neck yet you placed your tape at 6. Could you please explain? Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (74) (Reply)

Pictures Of Various Ankara/kente Styles / Best Skin Lightening/toning Soap / ~ The Hair Gallery For Short,Natural,Weave Or Braids ~

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.