Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,889 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies (32677 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Ugosample(m): 1:25am On Dec 27, 2013
Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ifegy: 2:41am On Dec 27, 2013
Ask here:
https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4

It is very difficult these days to settle in the UK after studying.

You should consider places like Canada and Australia:

https://www.nairaland.com/1475467/travelling-canada-part-5

https://www.nairaland.com/1032530/general-australian-visa-enquiries

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by claremont(m): 12:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
I wouldn't advice any international student to come to the UK at the moment, especially those who have plans to settle here. This is because of the current hostile immigration climate. You would be better off going to places like Canada, USA, or Australia where they have a much more friendly immigration policies.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by justwise(m): 12:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ugosample: Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.

Staying back legally?....good idea, illegally? Don't think about it.

7 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 5:38am On Dec 28, 2013
justwise:

Staying back legally?....good idea, illegally? Don't think about it.

Why shouldn't he think about it? Are you his Oga or something ? Relax

Though staying in the UK without papers is not ideal, however, you have to weigh your options. If you can go to school in the UK go ahead and do it and deal with the rest later.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by abbakacici: 6:43am On Dec 28, 2013
The problem is that even if you manage to find a job, the wages are very low as compare to their cost of living, if you study in Russell group university your wage after graduation will be like 24k, but it look like you are going to a ok school, so wages will be like 18k, I have friend that was lucky to find a job last year, after finishing msc financial management his wages was like 18800 per year, his paid like 6000 accommodation bills included for a room in a house with four other guys he spend like 4000 on food paid tax like 2000 he own a car his spend like 2500 on fueling insurance and taxes , other stuff like teeth peste, body spray, soap, laundry etc he spend like 1000 and he go back to naija for his annual leave where he spend like 1000 on ticket and few toys he bought his nice and nephew so when he want back to uk after his annual leave he check that he has only 400 pounds in his name, so he resign and went back to naija

11 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by justwise(m): 8:13am On Dec 28, 2013
abbakacici: The problem is that even if you manage to find a job, the wages are very low as compare to their cost of living, if you study in Russell group university your wage after graduation will be like 24k, but it look like you are going to a ok school, so wages will be like 18k, I have friend that was lucky to find a job last year, after finishing msc financial management his wages was like 18800 per year, his paid like 6000 accommodation bills included for a room in a house with four other guys he spend like 4000 on food paid tax like 2000 he own a car his spend like 2500 on fueling insurance and taxes , other stuff like teeth peste, body spray, soap, laundry etc he spend like 1000 and he go back to naija for his annual leave where he spend like 1000 on ticket and few toys he bought his nice and nephew so when he want back to uk after his annual leave he check that he has only 400 pounds in his name, so he resign and went back to naija

Even if your friend earns 1m pounds he will still struggle to manage, if you earn 18,000 pound a year in London you got no business buying a car or living in London, move to a city outside London and drive 45 to 1hr to London for work OR live in London and use public transport until your salary improves. 400 pound on food alone? He was born to eat.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by abbakacici: 8:43am On Dec 28, 2013
justwise:

Even if your friend earns 1m pounds he will still struggle to manage, if you earn 18,000 pound a year in London you got no business buying a car or living in London, move to a city outside London and drive 45 to 1hr to London for work OR live in London and use public transport until your salary improves. 400 pound on food alone? He was born to eat.
nop he spend like 40 pounds on food per week and another 10 on energy drink, tea and coffee which is like 200, but the problem is buy lunch at his place of work which is like 5 to 10 pounds per day for 5 days a week thus like 150 per month, but yes I agree with you there are many ways to save cost, I know two Ghanaian . one British Ghanaian earn something similar to him, work in London but live in luton, he drive an 1 30 to work, and paid only 4000 per year for accommodation, while the other Ghanaian guy share a room with his frd, they both paid like 250 per month, thus like 3000 per month, he spend like 40 pounds per week on transport bus pass and train, thus like 2000 a year,

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Agent8706(m): 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
If I would advice you candidly, why not work like say five years or more, then gather any amassed bounty and head back home for settling, that way you will be contributing back to your mother land when you set up your own business and create job opportunities.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by akereconfi: 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Most of my friends studying in the UK are living on 400 pounds a month for upkeep and 400 a month for accommodation. And they are doing well without complain. One of them finished well in pharmacy and was absolved by the school. By God's grace I should be there this January

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Andyblaze: 12:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
If you get a good job offer that offers you a chance of legit stay, why not! Stay in a country that'll respect most of your 'official' rights, Bruva! angry angry
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by piratedcopy(m): 12:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
[color=#000099][/color] cheesy cheesy cheesy

oh my God, i made front page *tear cloths*, *remove boxers and run unclad in the street*

i wanna give a shout out to all the demehins out there, to all mech 12 people seeing this right now.

I wanna give a special shout out to ifect and my next gf i hope you're hot and have brain too

i wish everyone a happy new year ahead

peace out

6 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by vizboy(m): 12:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
cry sorry I stay in Nigeria
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by molydonhenry(m): 12:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Settling in UK entails a lot, I wud advise u consider places with lesser immigration laws. Beside u can still succeed in Nig if God b wid u

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrPresident1: 12:53pm On Dec 30, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Mishydoo(m): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
@OP...I am in the same situation with u.though I got addmission fr msc to a uk uni av apllied fr studies in canada.I would get response frm dem by march.

I dnt wnt to consider uk cos I hv two cousins who after schooling(msc) cldnt get jobs der,they had to work their way to canada in search of jobs.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by promisechild(m): 12:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
Bro what you are looking for in sokoto is in your "sokoto" why thinking of settling in uk after your studies, ask those who are there presently and they will tell you the hell they are going through there. do u think ur certificate can secure u a white comfortable colar job in UK as a black man am sorry to tell na gate man that ur certificate fit give u there as a black man.

Bro after ur programme in UK come down to Nigeria and submit ur cv to various companies I bet u within two months u will have ur appointment letter with you.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by BabaOlowo: 12:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
Don't pls, go back home. U ll be frustrated in the UK. Just come for holiday!
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by 1forall: 12:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
claremont: I wouldn't advice any international student to come to the UK at the moment, especially those who have plans to settle here. This is because of the current hostile immigration climate. You would be better off going to places like Canada, USA, or Australia where they have a much more friendly immigration policies.

This is as good as the best advise you will get anywhere. Take it gracefully and apply it.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Sarcoc: 12:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Like most things in life you will only be fully convinced once you ve tried it and not before. I have lived in the UK for near 15 years and have met various people in that time.

My advise - stay steady in Nigeria and you are by far better off. If you and your family can raise £9-15k for your tuition I will strongly suggest that you invest it in a good business. If u are not an entrepreneur get a good job invest then money in say land for instance and you will be onto a winner.

I ve advised a few ppl to go this way but they all end up in the Uk weeks later. I suspect you will do same too but you will surely remember reading this down the line.

Just to portress my point further, I am relocating back to Nigeria next year by God's grace. Oh just to add I am a full UK citizen by birth but still feel this way and can tell you that it is worse for none citizens.

20 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Mavor: 12:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
I advise you choose a Canadian school instead. Easy to settle and lots of good jobs, within 3 years if you can show you've been productive, you can get your papers. Only problem is it gets very cold sometimes.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by greatestman(m): 1:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
I have no option than to stay in NAIJA and make it. Then travel for vacation to any country of Choice at my discretion UK inclusive

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by lillies: 1:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
abbakacici: other stuff like teeth peste, body spray, soap, laundry etc he spend like 1000

£1000 on all these? Na car wash dey help am brush the teeth ni?

6 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by maxtamazin: 1:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ugosample: Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.

My good friend, go to any other country expect UK. After you spent all your money to get post graduate, 1. you have zero chance of getting a job.
2. you have zero chance of getting visa(they have stopped giving post graduate visa to work). 3. please dont plan to stay on as illegal, you will regret it.

My 2pence.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Fadelex(m): 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
I haven't been to UK but d info getting from friends over there isn't encouraging. I'll say stay back in Nigeria after your youth service and use that money for biz. the truth of the matter is that nobody will even employ you with msc without working experience. but the situation here is so bad that even as a scholar you're not guaranteed job in your school. saw a very brilliant classmate of mine few days ago riding motorcycle. felt so bad but goin out there will not give u permanent solution
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ocheejemb: 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Of the 40 or so International Students that did their MSc in Computer Science with me, i think less than 5 were able to find something worth doing after the MSc.

The current anti-immigration stance of the government isn't helping. Even if the opportunities exist (and they do), companies would much rather give them to a UK or EU citizen first, just because of the wahala involved in sponsoring an international.

If you are looking for a place to settle, then I think the US or Canada is currently a better option for you. If you are looking for a great place to study in an expedited manner, UK all the way.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by AK481(m): 1:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
Sarcoc: Like most things in life you will only be fully convinced once you ve tried it and not before. I have lived in the UK for near 15 years and have met various people in that time.

My advise - stay steady in Nigeria and you are by far better off. If you and your family can raise £9-15k for your tuition I will strongly suggest that you invest it in a good business. If u are not an entrepreneur get a good job invest then money in say land for instance and you will be onto a winner.

I ve advised a few ppl to go this way but they all end up in the Uk weeks later. I suspect you will do same too but you will surely remember reading this down the line.

Just to portress my point further, I am relocating back to Nigeria next year by God's grace. Oh just to add I am a full UK citizen by birth but still feel this way and can tell you that it is worse for none citizens.

oga keep hthis nonsense to yourself......

op,pls anwser these few questions:

1.do you have a person that you believe can accomodate you comfortable temporarilly
2.life in london can be a bit expensive but other city like leiceter city is ok
3.op the bottom line is that wen you start to work,try to send a little money down here for investment,the more the stupidity of this country is increasing the more it favours the smart onces sending money back home....
today 1 pound=260,tommorrow it is 270.it hardly ever comes down....dats ur advantage,suffer,starve urself there just to squeze pounds for investment.

the bigining is always tough but at the end you will just make it in a way that you ll tell people '' its a long story''

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by GeneralShepherd(m): 1:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Sarcoc: Like most things in life you will only be fully convinced once you ve tried it and not before. I have lived in the UK for near 15 years and have met various people in that time.

You've lived in UK for 15years and you don't know, you 'buttress a point' not portress it

20 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Booty4me: 1:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
lol from frying pan to fire... come we dey wait fot you..

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by israel007: 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Depennds
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by ocheejemb: 1:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Why shouldn't he think about it? Are you his Oga or something ? Relax

Though staying in the UK without papers is not ideal, however, you have to weigh your options. If you can go to school in the UK go ahead and do it and deal with the rest later.

There's nothing to weigh, do not ever stay in the UK illegally. It is not worth the mental, physical, emotional or monetary stress.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rumuokwurusi Flyover, Port Harcourt Partially Collapses (Video) / Car Accident At Ogba, Lagos (Photos) / Breathtaking Pictures Of Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.