Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:08 AM

Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies (32694 Views)

Lady Narrates Experience Shopping For Peppers In United Kingdom / Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / United Kingdom To Deport Nigerians On 24th March 2015 With A Chartered Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 3:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

This is why I tell people to take the risk because it will most likely payoff. You have people here always telling everyone stay

in Nigeria, that there are no jobs in the U.k, U.S, and Nigerians are suffering there and blah blah blah. I believe those people

have peasant mentality. They are the same people that believe that God will come down and take the risk for them

and give them the rewards, peasants.
you are chatting bullocks by mentioning God, will that your God come down to rescue you in UK, i guess you know very little about this issue so my candid advise is for you to keep quiet
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by pappilo(m): 3:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Sarcoc: Like most things in life you will only be fully convinced once you ve tried it and not before. I have lived in the UK for near 15 years and have met various people in that time.

My advise - stay steady in Nigeria and you are by far better off. If you and your family can raise £9-15k for your tuition I will strongly suggest that you invest it in a good business. If u are not an entrepreneur get a good job invest then money in say land for instance and you will be onto a winner.

I ve advised a few ppl to go this way but they all end up in the Uk weeks later. I suspect you will do same too but you will surely remember reading this down the line.

Just to portress my point further, I am relocating back to Nigeria next year by God's grace. Oh just to add I am a full UK citizen by birth but still feel this way and can tell you that it is worse for none citizens.

I came to the UK as a student in 2002 and unlike the OP, my mind was made up to stay back. I finished Uni in 2003 and started working in a call centre 6 months later while mixing it with a part time match day steward job. You may not believe this but that period has to date been when I managed to save the most money even though my total income was just about £17,000.

I bought my first car, it was a 4 year old car, 26 months after I arrived and my first flat just under 3 years after I arrived. Bear in mind I had no dependants and my parents/siblings didnt depend on me so all my money was mine. I should also make it clear that I lived with my girlfriend at the time (now wife) and we had a financial association which makes things a bit easier.

I could go on and bore you with what I have achieved so far but what would be the point? You shouldnt discourage the young man just because it didnt work out for you. There are thousands of Nigerians who migrated to the UK and havent looked back ever since.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 3:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ugosample: Hello house, please i need your opinion on this issue, especially those settled there already. I'm an undergraduate student due to graduate SOON. ASUU strike has disorganised things but we have to keep moving... I've been shopping for schools in the UK, picked one, analysed the fees and i, with the support of my family are raising funds for a post graduate degree in finance. Things are going fine with respect to raising the funds. But to be honest, i intend settling in the Uk after my studies and starting a new life there. Please house. Is this advisable? What are the potential challenges i may face be it immigration, money or unemployment problems? Please i need your opinion. Thank you.

there are job everywhere in uk depending on where and what you studied, but the best possible solution is when you finished an undergraduate degree course and not Msc that is when you are almost 100% assured to secure a job after maximum of six month, do your research.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 4:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
ezehr: This post has really been educative and informative. I'm in a similar situation like the OP. From the comments so far, i'm turning my radar away from UK schools to focus on Canada, USA and Australia.

Dont give up on going to U.K just because of people on Nairaland. Some of them probably went there to do 419.

You have nothing to loose.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by pappilo(m): 4:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
I also cant understand this no job stuff. Where I work there is a new Aussie or Kiwi fresh of the plane starting a £300/day contract job almost every other week.

There are many young Nigerian boys I know personally making mega bucks up doing contract work on unbelieveable daily pay rates.

And finally, I find it funny that the people that say try US, Canada or Australia have actually never been to these places so know Bleep all about life in those countries.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 4:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:
you are chatting bullocks by mentioning God, will that your God come down to rescue you in UK, i guess you know very little about this issue so my candid advise is for you to keep quiet

Am confused; how did you get anywhere in my post that i expect God to come down and rescue me in the U.K?

I know enough about this issue to know more than you my friend.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 4:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Dont give up on going to U.K just because of people on Nairaland. Some of them probably went there to do 419.

You have nothing to loose.

my advice is the OP should invest his £20.000 tuition + living exp on business rather than going broke again after 1 year in UK and visa eventually expired smiley
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by justwise(m): 4:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
pappilo: I also cant understand this no job stuff. Where I work there is a new Aussie or Kiwi fresh of the plane starting a £300/day contract job almost every other week.

There are many young Nigerian boys I know personally making mega bucks up doing contract work on unbelieveable daily pay rates.

And finally, I find it funny that the people that say try US, Canada or Australia have actually never been to these places so know Bleep all about life in those countries.

Your status matters a lot, you can't do all that with student visa.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 4:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:

my advice is the OP should invest his £20.000 tuition + living exp on business rather than going broke again after 1 year in UK and visa eventually expired smiley

I understand, but why do you think your advice will yield an automatic success for him?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

Am confused; how did you get anywhere in my post that i expect God to come down and rescue me in the U.K?

I know enough about this issue to know more than you my friend.

But you type as if you have little knowledge about this, how can you advise someone blindly by advising them to go UK and struggle even without concrete foundation and no assurance of visa after graduation.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 4:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I understand, but why do you think your advice will yield an automatic success for him?

Depending on what you regard as Success.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 4:29pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:

But you type as if you have little knowledge about this, how can you advise someone blindly by advising them to go UK and struggle even without concrete foundation and no assurance of visa after graduation.

I fail to see the blind advice you are referring too, this was my advice to him
Though staying in the UK without papers is not ideal, however, you have to weigh your options. If you can go to school in the UK go ahead and do it and deal with the rest later.

^^^^^^
I told him staying in the U.k without papers is not ideal, am i wrong? Then I told him to at least go to school there then

deal with the rest later. Where is the blind advice? But why do you think that if he stays in Nigeria he will automatically succeed?

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Personally, I feel the OP should follow his heart and do what he believes will be in his best interests, committing it to God too,coz like everything there's the probability that it will or won't turn out as planned,there are loads of Nigerians that have been sponsored in this harsh immigration climate as u guys say,i know of quite a few,its a good opportunity to school overseas coz at the end u have an additional degree that will help u further back in naij. If u come,start working early,plan,dont spend carelessly coz if u manage well and work for the six months after u graduate u should have lime at least £2000 in case things don't turn out well. I understand people being pessimistic coz the reality on ground is that it's tough but my guy Naij tough 2, so come as u enter start applying for both temp and permanent jobs before u graduate u will start having interviews and apply for coys on the UKBA list of sponsored companies,although others not on the list can join so they sponsor u(same happened to my friend). So friend,do all side,naija,jand,australia etc u don't know the one that will enter,but to me coming to England is a risk one should take,with planning they will be no tears. And everything m talking about is legal tins o,illegal don't try it

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 4:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

I fail to see the blind advice you are referring too, this was my advice to him

^^^^^^
I told him staying in the U.k without papers is not ideal, am i wrong? Then I told him to at least go to school there then

deal with the rest later. Where is the blind advice? But why do you think that if he stays in Nigeria he will automatically succeed?

Right, will tell you what you need to know firstly automatic success is not guaranteed anywhere in the world so you use or work based on the information you have. secondly Nigerian's population is a big resources on it's own either you are into buying and selling you still have your own customer, i think you can expand this on your own. lastly the reasoning should be, what and which country can one invest £20,000 and get a good return under 1 year.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by LyfeJennings(m): 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
I never go UK before but I swear Nigeria is better than UK,i never hear anything good about that place b4.d only thing good about it is their passport.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by LyfeJennings(m): 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:

Right, will tell you what you need to know firstly automatic success is not guaranteed anywhere in the world so you use or work based on the information you have. secondly Nigerian's population is a big resources on it's own either you are into buying and selling you still have your own customer, i think you can expand this on your own. lastly the reasoning should be, what and which country can one invest £20,000 and get a good return under 1 year.

No where but Nigeria,the only country in the world anything is POSSIBLE... U can be billionaire in just a blink of an eye
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Segzy23: 5:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
abbakacici: The problem is that even if you manage to find a job, the wages are very low as compare to their cost of living, if you study in Russell group university your wage after graduation will be like 24k, but it look like you are going to a ok school, so wages will be like 18k, I have friend that was lucky to find a job last year, after finishing msc financial management his wages was like 18800 per year, his paid like 6000 accommodation bills included for a room in a house with four other guys he spend like 4000 on food paid tax like 2000 he own a car his spend like 2500 on fueling insurance and taxes , other stuff like teeth peste, body spray, soap, laundry etc he spend like 1000 and he go back to naija for his annual leave where he spend like 1000 on ticket and few toys he bought his nice and nephew so when he want back to uk after his annual leave he check that he has only 400 pounds in his name, so he resign and went back to naija

His salary will depend on the what sector or type of career he is into i.e. some sector are more lucrative. Yes it could be rough in the first 6 months and without a job or a proper job, but the first Job is always a stepping stone. You shouldn't make it your comfort zone. It also depends on who you stay with, like someone said, if you stay with those who do not have high ambitions, you are more likely to be like that, but if you meet up with those who are ambitious and hard working, you will make it. Just because it doesn't work for A does not mean it will not work for B. No doubt, it is harder these days, but people are still finding a way (legit way). If you are just starting, there is no near to be spending a fortune on luxury and non-essential things, you need to be comfortable first before splashing out on luxury items. A car may be a luxury item for someone who has just started working and does not earn enough to comfortably afford the expenses associated with owning a car. On the other hand, if he requires a car to get a job, he can still buy something nice which is affordable and won't be a drain on his finances

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Segzy23: 5:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
promisechild: Bro what you are looking for in sokoto is in your "sokoto" why thinking of settling in uk after your studies, ask those who are there presently and they will tell you the hell they are going through there. do u think ur certificate can secure u a white comfortable colar job in UK as a black man am sorry to tell na gate man that ur certificate fit give u there as a black man.

Bro after ur programme in UK come down to Nigeria and submit ur cv to various companies I bet u within two months u will have ur appointment letter with you.

Sir, with all due respect, there is no credibility whatsoever in your post above. I don't know what your definition of hell is, but if it didn't work for you or people you know, then say so. Indians, blacks with qualifications are still getting plenty of white collar jobs in the UK. It depends on how you present yourself, it is harder for new graduate of any colour, but people are still getting jobs. it may be harder for those on student visa after completing their programmes, but it is not as bleak or near impossible as you portrayed it to be. Besides, if he get his qualifications in the UK, it opens more door for working in another foreign country

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 5:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
wayforward:

An investment that will give a good return in one year is not really that impressive. A good investment has longevity,

stability, and predictability. Can Nigeria offer all these consistently at a satisfactory level?
Business people dont look short term.

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Segzy23: 5:19pm On Dec 30, 2013
LyfeJennings: I never go UK before but I swear Nigeria is better than UK,i never hear anything good about that place b4.d only thing good about it is their passport.

You have never been to the UK before, and you think Nigeria is better, explain.

And why is their passport good? Please tell me

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by MrKnowitall: 5:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
LyfeJennings: I never go UK before but I swear Nigeria is better than UK,i never hear anything good about that place b4.d only thing good about it is their passport.

You never been to U.K before but you swear Nigeria is better? The Nigerian education system has failed you my friend.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by clapham(m): 5:27pm On Dec 30, 2013
pappilo: I also cant understand this no job stuff. Where I work there is a new Aussie or Kiwi fresh of the plane starting a £300/day contract job almost every other week.

my friend didnt finish his degree at OSU but he earns £350 per day in london, you are right, i just start my degree course, wont disclose my package but am happy .
Its your mind set
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by clapham(m): 5:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
cant find my comment, dem don vex for me.
na bad thing to talk true again
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by justwise(m): 5:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
clapham: cant find my comment, dem don vex for me.
na bad thing to talk true again

I removed your post because you started by asking the OP to contact you, there is no need for that and i don't trust people who are quick to take discussion like this offline.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by clapham(m): 5:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
justwise:

I removed your post because you started by asking the OP to contact you, there is no need for that and i don't trust people who are quick to take discussion like this offline.

Ok, no lele
was only trying to be nice, no hard feeling
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by Chinwem(f): 5:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
What are the prospects for an immigrant getting a job after writing PLAB??

@everyone residing in UK

Cheers.
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 6:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
Mr Knowitall:

An investment that will give a good return in one year is not really that impressive. A good investment has longevity,

stability, and predictability. Can Nigeria offer all these consistently at a satisfactory level?
Business people dont look short term.

Education is subject to business isn't it, so how can one find all the grammar and consistency you just mention above in 1 year in UK especially when you are not a citizen smiley
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by POSIBILITY(m): 6:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
I will also advise the OP not to come to UK since his intention is to settle in UK after study. Please RUN to Cannana. These are my reasons:

1. UK Post-study work visa (PSWV) which gave 95% of those that settled in UK the opportunity to secure professional jobs has been cancelled. You will get between one to three years automatic PSWV in Cannada depending on the duration of your course.

2. UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) has also been scrapped. Federal and Provincial nominee HSMP is still available in cannada though not automatic but if you meet certain conditions, you will get it. Please research further on this.

3. Even if you want to marry 'oyinbo' to regularize your stay in UK after study, the rules have been tightened as well. I don't know much about their marriage rule in Cannada, but I presume it cannot be as hard as UKmarriage rule.

Moreover, for your information, without a valid visa with right to work in all the first world countries, you are better off in your home country.

Just to let you know,I came to UK to study Msc Finance with similar intentions like yours but the realities on ground are better imagined than experienced. So I am already packing my bags and baggages to return home.

Only If could turn back the hand of the clock, I would genlty stay back in Naija or move to Cannada.

My two cents.

(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like)

3 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
POSIBILITY: I will also advise the OP not to come to UK since his intention is to settle in UK after study. Please RUN to Cannana. These are my reasons:

1. UK Post-study work visa (PSWV) which gave 95% of those that settled in UK the opportunity to secure professional jobs has been cancelled. You will get between one to three years automatic PSWV in Cannada depending on the duration of your course.

2. UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) has also been scrapped. Federal and Provincial noninee HSMP is still available in cannada though not automatic but if you meet certain conditions, you will get it. Please research further on this.

3. Even if you want to marry 'oyinbo' to regularize your stay in UK after study, the rules have been tightened as well. I don't know much about their marriage rule in Cannada, but I presume it cannot be as hard UK marriage rule.

Moreover, for your information, without a valid visa with right to work in all the first world countries, you are better off in your home country.

Just to let you know,I came to UK to study Msc Finance with similar intentions like yours but the realities on ground are better imagined than experienced. So I am already packing my bags and baggages to return home.

Only If could turn back the hand of the clock, I would genlty stay back in Naija or move to Cannada.

My two cents.

good one bro but people should please stop advising anyone to try other western world, Canada, USA or whatsoever if you or your household don't have enough funds in balance after your study abroad and if you are gathering money like the OP to study abroad then you are on your own.

(Quote) (Report) 1 Like (Like)
Re: Is It Advisable To Settle In The United Kingdom After Studies by wayforward: 6:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
POSIBILITY: I will also advise the OP not to come to UK since his intention is to settle in UK after study. Please RUN to Cannana. These are my reasons:

2. UK Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) has also been scrapped. Federal and Provincial noninee HSMP is still available in cannada though not automatic but if you meet certain conditions, you will get it. Please research further on this.

3. Even if you want to marry 'oyinbo' to regularize your stay in UK after study, the rules have been tightened as well. I don't know much about their marriage rule in Cannada, but I presume it cannot be as hard UK marriage rule.

My two cents.

good one bro but people should please stop advising anyone to try other western world, Canada, USA or whatsoever if you or your household don't have enough funds in balance after your study abroad and if you are gathering money like the OP to study abroad then you are on your own.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rumuokwurusi Flyover, Port Harcourt Partially Collapses (Video) / Car Accident At Ogba, Lagos (Photos) / Another Plane Crash In US Claims Several Lives Weeks After Wigwe's Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.