Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,858 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:22 AM

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) (38868 Views)

This Story How My Sister Got A Good Job Will Inspire You If You Are Unemployed / How My Faith & Prayers Helped Me Get A Very Good Job Through Nairaland Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 1:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
Seen a lot of threads like this in the past, and been praying for a time when I will have a reason to post something like this.
I intend to use this thread to give God the glory for his faithfulness, and also stand as an evidence that it is indeed possible to have the coolest entry level job in one of the coolest multinational companies without any connection.
I started a 7 stage recruitment exercise with my coy some time in august. The information gotten on this platform was simply indispensable.
Nairaland gave me the opportunity of meeting some wonderful people that really helped in ways time will not permit me to mention. A bbm group for this recruitment was formed, and this brought us even closer smiley

So in my way of giving back to a platform that has helped me tremendously, I intend to give my own advice for folks still in the "favor" market wink

1) Attitude is everything
I learned a long time ago never to ask a failure for advice; They normally have nothing good to say. So the next time you are about to apply for that big job, and your friend who has failed 10 times comes to discourage you, give a him a good 10 mile radius and tell him you both answer different last names wink
Also, there may come a time when you start doubting yourself , when you start questioning whether you're really as good as you thought you where (I went thru such wilderness myself), change your mental attitude, it will determine the recruitment altitude you finally obtain.

2)know your problem
A problem known and fully understood is half solved. (Hehehehe well if your problem is from your village,... Then your on ya own oo grin)
But seriously though, borrowing a quote from Tzu Sun's art of war "ultimate victory is assured only when you fully understand yourself and your enemy". I have broken people with job challenges into different categories.

Application failures

People in this category don't get pass the initial application phase. There are number of different reasons for this, some of which include;
Poor cv or cover letter writing skills.
Lack of patience when filling or answering application essays.
Age limitation, etc and etc

My advice for any nysc member reading this is to start EARLY! I can't over emphasize this. I started applying for jobs 6 months to the end of my service year. Doing this gave me 6 months of trial and error to learn how to apply properly without pressure or the desperation that comes after nysc.

aptitude test drop outs

cry I sadly belonged to this class. Believe me when I say that exams are not really a true test of knowledge. Some people J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ do better in aptitude test than others I guess. If you fall into this category then you have your work cut out for you. I will suggest starting from scratch. Get your hands on all popular formats(NL can help you here). Then work work work because there is no substitute.

Interview drop outs

I discovered that while I was jonsing in my aptitude test there where certain monikas here on NL that where always getting to this stage in almost all threads I saw them in. I put these ones in this group. They scale thru the aptitude test with ease, but don't know what they do wrong in interviews.

But sadly I feel this group is much more difficult to solve than the previous category. I say this because whereas peeps with aptitude test problems can improve with constant practice, well I feel interview skills (communication, diction, natural intelligence, confidence, etc ) are not things you J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ "jack" over night but rather are things you develop over time and come to certain people naturally. Before this recruitment process, I hadn't had a single interview before, but I scaled through over 4 interview stages quite easily, stuff J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ came naturally.
assessment day drop outs

Here, its God all they way. If you can get to this stage in any recruitment process, then best know you're surrounded by the best. The only differentiating element is God and INFORMATION!! Read wide! Know the company like you've been working there for ages. Know the spirit of the company and what they stand for. And in all you do through out that day, try and let the company values or principle shine through

3) The God Factor
All I can say is what is yours is yours. Am sadly far from the most righteous person, but I could definitely see the hand of God in causing me to be one of 8 people selected from a pool of over 5000 applicants (including applicants from west africa, and from other parts of the globe).
final advice to undergraduates and serving corps members

To my corper wee!! Like I said earlier, start early. If you are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ finding out how to write a cover letter one month after service, then something is really wrong with you!

To my undergrads, DON'T RUN AWAY FROM RESPONSIBILITY!!
I can't over stress this. You have no Work experience, so during your interview, all you have to fall back on is whatever things (leadership, teamwork ,etc) you learned through school or What you volunteered for.

Finally, if you know you don't have "THE CONNECTION", or "LONG LEG" or you can't finish with a 1st class, please try to leave with a 2-1.
The labour market is bloody. Even we with 2-1's are barely seeing enough elbow room and breathing space, how much so you with a 2-2 or 3rd class with no connection?

God bless and help us all as we push to the top

75 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Brite02(m): 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
That is inspiring...... NOTED!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 1:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Congrats Bro!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by donigspain(m): 1:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
Wow, this is just the kind of testimony my soul needs at this stage of my life. I wholeheartedly claim, with faith, this testimony of yours upon my life in Jesus Christ name, amen.
Congratulations to you my victorious brother.

EDITED:
Funny how time flies. Got a job exactly ONE month after the confession above. smiley

17 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 2:06pm On Dec 27, 2013
Titiluvly: Congrats Bro!
Ŧa̶̲̥̅̊ƞk̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇:::: dear
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
donigspain: Wow, this is just the kind of testimony my soul needs at this stage of my life. I wholeheartedly claim, with faith, this testimony of yours upon my life in Jesus Christ name, amen.
Congratulations to you my victorious brother.
As in bro, we were among the least in the aptitude test. It was right here on NL were some people where getting 90% and were kinda oppressing others that I reminded some peeps that the race isn't for the swift ooo!
Anyway I barely made d cut off which was about 68%.... I think I had like 69%.
They were calling in terms of highest.. It took them like 4 days to mail me, by then I had given up completely..was so pissed that I couldn't apply for any other stuff. Starting applying for my masters.
Well 2 cut the long story short, the mail came on a Thursday to come down to lagos for an adexen assessment on saturday.
Almost didn't want to travel from ph cos of. The suddenness, but borrowed money and traveled on friday...the rest as they say is history cheesy

4 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by ecolime(m): 5:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
congrats bro
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
ecolime: congrats bro
Ŧa̶̲̥̅̊ƞk̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇:::: man

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by zelexotunla(m): 6:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Congratulation my broda do have a sucksexful career.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by davide470(m): 7:25pm On Dec 27, 2013
Chess guru, you are a correct man! Wanna be like u when I finish service cheesy but I don't want BAT oo, na oyel coy grin

Have a good one, and cheers!
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by promisechild(m): 8:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
Nice one op
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Darkhorse007(m): 9:36pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Darkhorse007(m): 9:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
BATMAN, Respect bro.
Didn't come as a surprise though... I knew it.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 9:49pm On Dec 27, 2013
davide470: Chess guru, you are a correct man! Wanna be like u when I finish service cheesy but I don't want BAT oo, na oyel coy grin

Have a good one, and cheers!
grin grin grin
@ david ur way pure pass. the level of info you already have despite the fact ur still serving is. Commendable.
Hehehehe abeg ow u know say nah BAT grin
I know say I know mention am grin
Menh am a chemical engr. The reason I chose chem over pet is becos of versatility! Am guessing u read pet engr, so I see why ur so into oyel grin
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by topygel: 9:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
Hmn, congratulations bro, have a sucessful career.

Bros, concerning the age limit, what can one do about it? Because I have a brother who is constantly disturbed about this.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
topygel: Hmn, congratulations bro, have a sucessful career.

Bros, concerning the age limit, what can one do about it? Because I have a brother who is constantly disturbed about this.
Hmmmmm brodaly what other choice do they leave us than 2 falsify our age cry
Its surprisingly easy 2 do it in a court.
Its not right but age restriction isn't used 2 screen best performers, but to help reduce number of applicants
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by topygel: 10:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
Thank you sir, I wish you the best in life, more greater things to come.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 10:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
topygel: Thank you sir, I wish you the best in life, more greater things to come.
*amen*
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 7:44am On Dec 28, 2013
Darkhorse007: BATMAN, Respect bro.
Didn't
come as a surprise though... I knew it.
Hmmm sir darkhorse, am feeling u are also in the BAT bbm group.
Thanks......2014 can only be bigger for all of us!

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by alotofgrace(m): 9:33am On Dec 28, 2013
congratulobia
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by detee2: 11:39am On Dec 28, 2013
I so much love this testimony...more dan inspiring. Congratulations bro...greater achievements ahead.....@David, am suprised u still in service o cos u re always making meaningful contribution in most career thread ve been, thats great. Nice preparation.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 4:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
de-tee:
I so much love this testimony...more dan inspiring. Congratulations bro...greater achievements ahead.....@David, am suprised u still in service o cos u re always making meaningful contribution in most career thread ve been, thats great. Nice preparation.
Ŧa̶̲̥̅̊ƞk̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇:::: bro

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by davide470(m): 9:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
de-tee:
@David, am suprised u still in service o cos u re always making meaningful contribution in most career thread ve been, thats great. Nice preparation.
Thanks bro.. I remove head-dress for U.

@chess guru, me too na chemical engineer oo. Na God's favour we are all looking up to. Hope they don't post you to 'Quality Testing' department grin

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by realbomax: 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2013
I can now understand the reason why there is a problem in dis country wrt employment. U can imagine a situatn where more dan 5000 pple were fighting for just 8positions leaving 4992 1st class+2.1 and d rest dt were nt invited continue d struggle in d market. may God save naija

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by deturla: 10:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
You are the biggest testimony...of the year,Ghost,,,,...I have a reason for this and I'm so incredibly proud of you man,friend and bro from another mother,people like you continually giv us the inspiration and zeal..to continue to fight hard and hard,so that we'll be picked in the pool of 10000 or more candidates....CONGRATS CHESS,GHOST....................

We Love You!!!.......................don't forget my 2bottles of Odeku and Nkwobi,come january ooo!!!.....BADTMAN!!!#winks...where DeeBoy and KayCee@!!!cum let's celebrate our broa from another ma***........can't remember d lasttyme I posted ,on nairaland....I'm doing all of this for u bro,and this time...ur testimony ll b a focal point for my testimony!!!...1love Bro....
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by bjjbam: 8:27am On Dec 30, 2013
Congrats dude! Like I always say, ppl still get jobs in ds country on merit cos I did too. That ppl use long legs all d time shudnt prevent one from applying for that d dream job. Congrats once again!

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 8:39am On Dec 30, 2013
davide470:
Thanks bro.. I remove head-dress for U.

@chess guru, me too na chemical engineer oo. Na God's favour we are all looking up to. Hope they don't post you to 'Quality Testing' department grin
Hehehehehehehe well we go "test" noni nah grin
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 8:45am On Dec 30, 2013
deturla: You are the biggest testimony...of the year,Ghost,,,,...I have a reason for this and I'm so incredibly proud of you man,friend and bro from another mother,people like you continually giv us the inspiration and zeal..to continue to fight hard and hard,so that we'll be picked in the pool of 10000 or more candidates....CONGRATS CHESS,GHOST....................

We Love You!!!.......................don't forget my 2bottles of Odeku and Nkwobi,come january ooo!!!.....BADTMAN!!!#winks...where DeeBoy and KayCee@!!!cum let's celebrate our broa from another ma***........can't remember d lasttyme I posted ,on nairaland....I'm doing all of this for u bro,and this time...ur testimony ll b a focal point for my testimony!!!...1love Bro....
My head dey burst oo boss. I remember when I thought I had already failed during the aptitude test and you encouraged me...all. Ŧa̶̲̥̅̊ƞk̶̲̥̅̊ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇̇:::: to you bro.
That's what real friends do; They don't dissipate negativity but infuse positive energy..much love bro.
No worry deeboy go soon show cheesy
@ the nkwobi cheesy, that nah "constant K" cheesy
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
MINDSET..

Copy this testimony, print n frame it. Hang 1 for ceiling and anoda 1 for door so dat e go b d 1st tin u c b4 leaving d houz n d last tin b4 u sleep grin

Bros i thank God 4 ur matta..mor success stories await u in d nearest future. Wish u all d best as u build ur career.

Reppin' Batch A 2013..Feb 13 P.O.P in view. cool Baba God no 4get me oo cheesy

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by chessguru1(m): 2:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
Monsieur Pete: MINDSET..

Copy this testimony, print n frame it. Hang 1 for ceiling and anoda 1 for door so dat e go b d 1st tin u c b4 leaving d houz n d last tin b4 u sleep grin

Bros i thank God 4 ur matta..mor success stories await u in d nearest future. Wish u all d best as u build ur career.

Reppin' Batch A 2013..Feb 13 P.O.P in view. cool Baba God no 4get me oo cheesy
Nothing do you bros!!
Me sef be batch B 2012 cool
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by wroskian(m): 3:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
chess guru: Seen a lot of threads like this in the past, and been praying for a time when I will have a reason to post something like this.
I intend to use this thread to give God the glory for his faithfulness, and also stand as an evidence that it is indeed possible to have the coolest entry level job in one of the coolest multinational companies without any connection.
I started a 7 stage recruitment exercise with my coy some time in august. The information gotten on this platform was simply indispensable.
Nairaland gave me the opportunity of meeting some wonderful people that really helped in ways time will not permit me to mention. A bbm group for this recruitment was formed, and this brought us even closer smiley

So in my way of giving back to a platform that has helped me tremendously, I intend to give my own advice for folks still in the "favor" market wink

1) Attitude is everything
I learned a long time ago never to ask a failure for advice; They normally have nothing good to say. So the next time you are about to apply for that big job, and your friend who has failed 10 times comes to discourage you, give a him a good 10 mile radius and tell him you both answer different last names wink
Also, there may come a time when you start doubting yourself , when you start questioning whether you're really as good as you thought you where (I went thru such wilderness myself), change your mental attitude, it will determine the recruitment altitude you finally obtain.

2)know your problem
A problem known and fully understood is half solved. (Hehehehe well if your problem is from your village,... Then your on ya own oo grin)
But seriously though, borrowing a quote from Tzu Sun's art of war "ultimate victory is assured only when you fully understand yourself and your enemy". I have broken people with job challenges into different categories.
Application failures
People in this category don't get pass the initial application phase. There are number of different reasons for this, some of which include;
Poor cv or cover letter writing skills.
Lack of patience when filling or answering application essays.
Age limitation, etc and etc
My advice for any nysc member reading this is to start EARLY! I can't over emphasize this. I started applying for jobs 6 months to the end of my service year. Doing this gave me 6 months of trial and error to learn how to apply properly without pressure or the desperation that comes after nysc.

aptitude test drop outs

cry I sadly belonged to this class. Believe me when I say that exams are not really a true test of knowledge. Some people J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ do better in aptitude test than others I guess. If you fall into this category then you have your work cut out for you. I will suggest starting from scratch. Get your hands on all popular formats(NL can help you here). Then work work work because there is no substitute.

Interview drop outs
I discovered that while I was jonsing in my aptitude test there where certain monikas here on NL that where always getting to this stage in almost all threads I saw them in. I put these ones in this group. They scale thru the aptitude test with ease, but don't know what they do wrong in interviews.
But sadly I feel this group is much more difficult to solve than the previous category. I say this because whereas peeps with aptitude test problems can improve with constant practice, well I feel interview skills (communication, diction, natural intelligence, confidence, etc ) are not things you J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ "jack" over night but rather are things you develop over time and come to certain people naturally. Before this recruitment process, I hadn't had a single interview before, but I scaled through over 4 interview stages quite easily, stuff J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ came naturally.
assessment day drop outs
Here, its God all they way. If you can get to this stage in any recruitment process, then best know you're surrounded by the best. The only differentiating element is God and INFORMATION!! Read wide! Know the company like you've been working there for ages. Know the spirit of the company and what they stand for. And in all you do through out that day, try and let the company values or principle shine through

3) The God Factor
All I can say is what is yours is yours. Am sadly far from the most righteous person, but I could definitely see the hand of God in causing me to be one of 8 people selected from a pool of over 5000 applicants (including applicants from west africa, and from other parts of the globe).
final advice to undergraduates and serving corps members
To my corper wee!! Like I said earlier, start early. If you are J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ finding out how to write a cover letter one month after service, then something is really wrong with you!
To my undergrads, DON'T RUN AWAY FROM RESPONSIBILITY!!
I can't over stress this. You have no Work experience, so during your interview, all you have to fall back on is whatever things (leadership, teamwork ,etc) you learned through school or What you volunteered for.
Finally, if you know you don't have "THE CONNECTION", or "LONG LEG" or you can't finish with a 1st class, please try to leave with a 2-1.
The labour market is bloody. Even we with 2-1's are barely seeing enough elbow room and breathing space, how much so you with a 2-2 or 3rd class with no connection?
God bless and help us all as we push to the top
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria (Nairaland Helped Me Get A Job) by wroskian(m): 3:30pm On Dec 30, 2013
@Chess Guru, ur testimony is really inspiring and soul lifting, may it be permanent in Jesus name. Just like you said, I have tried assessing myself several times to know the particular point where i got it twisted. But I know God dey sha. The competition is tense,with hardwork and prayers God will see me through.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wema Bank Is Currently Accepting CV / How I Managed Till I Got My Dream Job / How Do I Greet My Panel Of Interviewers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.