Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,577 members, 7,809,096 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians (5465 Views)

APC Activist Omojuwa Criticises Buhari Government. / APC Tasks Jonathan On Enugu’s Coal, 2nd Niger Bridge, Others / Fashola Tasks LCCI On Okada Riders Business Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
NAIJA HOTTEST GIST – The founder of Change Movement Nigeria, Mr. Olu Adegoke, has thrown his weight behind the ongoing campaign by the Human Rights Writers’ Association of Nigeria (HURIWA) for the boycotting of Access Bank. The bank stands accused of sacking hundreds of workers only to spend about N200 million to bring in an American singer, Mariah Carey, to perform at its Christmas concert.
“In solidarity with the sacked 200 staff of Access Bank, I am calling on all my friends to close down their accounts with Access Bank. Let us stand with HURIWA on this cause. Enough of taking bull shit from these corporate robbers. It is wicked to sack 200 workers only to spend 200 million to host a musician,” the Ibadan-based Adegoke said in a message posted on his Facebook wall yesterday.
Change Movement Nigeria prides itself as “the Voice of the Voiceless, the Conscience of the nation and the future of the country.”
“We are committed to adopting non-violent means to actualize our goals of a new country devoid of tribalism, mediocrity, religious fundamentalism, no-colonialism and corporatocracy,” says a message on the group’s website. “We call for an open-government, accountable leadership and informed political space. We demand a nation where the resources of all shall be distributed within limits of agreed justice. We call for the end of poverty.”
As reported yesterday by News Express, the Abuja-based HURIWA last Friday flagged off a campaign to boycott Access Bank’s services over its anti-poor management strategy.
“Today we served Access Bank notice that we will on Monday severe all business relationship with them by closing down our accounts. As a struggling NGO we have very insignificant transactions with Access Bank but we appeal to good spirited Nigerians to pull out their savings because of the inhumane action of sacking 200 staff and at the same time coughing out N200 million to hire foreign musician recently,” HURIWA’s National Coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko, said.
News Express sought to get the reaction of Access Bank but the Corporate Affairs Manager, Segun Fafore, did not respond to text messages sent to his phones on Saturday and yesterday.

2 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 6:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
UPDATE

NEWS EXPRESS – More customers are closing their accounts with Access Bank Plc following the example and call of an Abuja-based rights group angered by the bank’s insensitivity in sacking hundreds of workers only to use the money thus saved to host a foreign musician.
RELATED POST:Close your account with Access Bank – Activist tasks Nigerians
The campaign to boycott Access Bank over the issue was launched exactly a week ago by the Human Rights Writers’ Association of Nigeria (HURIWA), whose National Coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko, said last week Friday:
“Today we served Access Bank notice that we will on Monday severe all business relationship with them by closing down our accounts. As a struggling NGO we have very insignificant transactions with Access Bank but we appeal to good spirited Nigerians to pull out their savings because of the inhumane action of sacking 200 staff and at the same time coughing out N200 million to hire foreign musician recently.”
HURIWA’s call was promptly backed by Change Movement Nigeria, whose founder, Mr. Olu Adegoke, said: “In solidarity with the sacked 200 staff of Access Bank, I am calling on all my friends to close down their accounts with Access Bank. Let us stand with HURIWA on this cause. Enough of taking bull shit from these corporate robbers. It is wicked to sack 200 workers only to spend 200 million to host a musician.”
Checks by News Express showed that a growing number of people responding positively to the boycott call. Below are some of the responses:
Adimora Umennabuike: i ve close my account wt wuse br.
Jonathan Justin: Its done
Tunde Akpeji: I have similarly communicated my plans to close my account with this bank especially when they are paying a foreign artiste some mind blowing cash to perform in the wake of these lay offs
Kennedy Onyegbado: I wil just hv to close my financial relationsip wit them
Osagie Christian: Aburime My account with this Bank will be closed forthwith
Omoba Kenneth: Comrade My broda tanx for the clarion call. We will ascent to it immediately.
Awhgum Dugkess: My NGO-Dugkess Foundation wil join yos 2 close our account though nt a significant acct if l may borow ur words against dis inhuman act-
Daniel Stanley: I totally support this concerted approach to eliminate unhumanity in Access Bank.
News Express reports that Access Bank has yet to react to the development despite efforts to get its Corporate Affairs Manager, Segun Fafore, to state its side of the story.

There is a need to stop this corporate irresponsibility!!!,!

3 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Nobody: 6:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
I have been planning on doing that since.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 6:37pm On Dec 27, 2013
What is the essence of sacking staff and you are declaring billions as profit and the MD will be riding on private jets all over the world?

What is the essence of sacking staff and you are organising some frivolous concerts?

There is a need for all of us to come together as one and address this. The banks are actually taking Nigerians for a ride.

4 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by moststylish(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
nigerians ar just too dullsy
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by mankand(m): 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
Well before he set it into motion, i already memo our head office that all accounts of the company for both local and foreign currency are going to be shut down and we are banking with GTB and Stanbic from 2014.

Nigerians are naturally dull, this is why Lagbaja said we are in a mumu republic

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 6:59pm On Dec 27, 2013
The Head of Hr and Head of Corporate Affairs should be sacked.

How on earth, will they throw 200people with families and dependants into the street, just because they want to host Ferguson and Mariah Carey. That is being heartless and without fear of God.

The bank needs us and we have a choice. Let us register our displeasure over this.

Enough is enough of all these corporate irresponsibility and rascality.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by olabukola: 7:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
I have 22k remaining and will withdraw all early next yr. this is absolute madness.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 7:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
Actually, any Nigerian that attended that concert or programme, ought to ask for forgiveness from God.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by chymystique(f): 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
Me ve bin planning on doing that.. Access bank is Wack! Am tired of thr Spam msgs.. Ets onli God that will judge the bank Management..

We Nigerians r d architect of our own probs. undecided
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by chymystique(f): 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by jamace(m): 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
Even banks are helping to ridicule Nigera. Now somebody tell me how Mariah Carrey will help attract customers to Access Bank. Is the bank telling us that Nigerian musicians are second rate?

Soon some GEJ haters will blame GEJ for this.

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2013
Mtscheew...I just opened a special account with them today....who cares ?

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 8:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
This is not good for the PR of AIG at all and he is lobbying for CBN Gov. We will wait for him at National Assembly.

If he can do this to Nigerians, what will he do when he become the CBN governor. I am.sure, he will kill us with anti-people policies.

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Isiterere(m): 8:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
I must be high on some sub_standard liquor for me to have account with them;anyway I have zero naira with them. I'll close the account early next year .

GTB and First Bank got my back all this year

ALL IZZ WELL
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Olugbenger(m): 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
I must close the account i didn't open with them undecided

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Brimmie(m): 11:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
FirstBank and GTB Rocks!!

Thunder Fire Other Banks.. Most Especially UBA!!

2 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Waspy(m): 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
Access bank f-ed up, but if they lose customers cos of this, all coporate business orgs will sit up and tight. Got a bad eye on DSTV's Multichoice. angry angry

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by egift(m): 11:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
When they kept deducting my money on yeye charges, I stopped putting in that account. Now i get spam sms daily.

1 Like

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by chymystique(f): 8:45am On Dec 28, 2013
egift: When they kept deducting my money on yeye charges, I stopped putting in that account. Now i get spam sms daily.

Same here angry
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by basisop(m): 9:21am On Dec 28, 2013
All of una father there! Are u guys trying to cause more harm? If people start complying by closing their accounts Access Bank's profit will nosedive and more staff would be sacked in thousands not hundreds.

This is a silly move. Access Bank has more staff in its employ than Gtbank and Diamond Bank put together. Think!!!

3 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by revolt(m): 10:12am On Dec 28, 2013
basisop: All of una father there! Are u guys trying to cause more harm? If people start complying by closing their accounts Access Bank's profit will nosedive and more staff would be sacked in thousands not hundreds.

This is a silly move. Access Bank has more staff in its employ than Gtbank and Diamond Bank put together. Think!!!
don't mind these occupy ojota goats. That's how they champion stupid retrogressive causes. what did they expect access bank to do after buying up intercontinental, retain all their staffs too. intercontinental should have thought of the implications of their organisation falling before running illegal operations.

I bank with access and don't see any difference BTW them and other avarice driven banks.

so when we boycott them, who bears the brunt?
lousy black folks.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by egift(m): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2013
basisop: All of una father there! Are u guys trying to cause more harm? If people start complying by closing their accounts Access Bank's profit will nosedive and more staff would be sacked in thousands not hundreds.

Are you asking us to give them more money to squander while sacking more staff at the same time?

Guy, never reward evil.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by superstar1(m): 11:41am On Dec 28, 2013

You must be a boot licker.

They sacked people and went ahead to organise a stup1d 200millon worth of jamboree for Mariah Carey and Fergie and we should keep banking with them for lack of human feelings.

Such organisation does not deserve out money in anyway. An organisation that does not have repsect for its staff, can never respect we the customers.

This is our power of protest against this corporate rascality.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by otokx(m): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2013
You guys are just making me laugh, close bank account ni, close bank account ko.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by solomon111(m): 12:09pm On Dec 28, 2013
This is the kind of activism that i support.
Access bank goofed big time.
I don't have an account with them or i would've closed it long ago.
Nigerians should teach them a lesson.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Boss13: 12:12pm On Dec 28, 2013
@OP I think you should redirect your protest to the government. Every corporate organisation have the right to downside. True it affects families, however, in the business world sentiments cannot be attached. If only our economy was properly managed, many of the affected families would have moved on to better job offers or start their own business (and I pray they are doing likewise too).

Rather still, why don't you and your NGO go stand in front of National Assembly or Aso rock and demand for good and responsible government.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by bestads(m): 12:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
Mr Moderator or what are you called Please take this thread to the Front page immediately.

IF it was about celebrity gossip,sex or romance it would have since been in front page
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by samilo88(m): 12:26pm On Dec 28, 2013
I ll open an account and close it immediately just to comply with the protest.
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by professore(m): 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2013
Seated in front of the auditorium,in case we enter front page grin
Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by solomon111(m): 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2013
Boss13: @OP I think you should redirect your protest to the government. Every corporate organisation have the right to downside. True it affects families, however, in the business world sentiments cannot be attached. If only our economy was properly managed, many of the affected families would have moved on to better job offers or start their own business (and I pray they are doing likewise too).

Rather still, why don't you and your NGO go stand in front of National Assembly or Aso rock and demand for good and responsible government.
Nonsense.
Stop trying to be smarter than you are.
Yes,every organization has a right to downsize if they're running bankrupt or can't sustain the expense.
But it becomes callousness and cooperate irresponsibility when that same organization goes ahead and publicly spend irresponsibly on frivolities in a bid to insult our sensibilities and intelligence.

3 Likes

Re: Close Your Account With Access Bank – Activist Tasks Nigerians by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
I like this spirit.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Want To Become President In 2015, But APC First -buhari / Anambra Arrests 250 'illegal Revenue Collectors'- Official / Six Reasons Why The Niger Delta Remains Neglected By The Nigerian State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.