Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,678 members, 7,801,960 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World (15452 Views)

List Of Banned Babies Names Around The World. / 9 Baby Names Banned By Governments / Modern Igbo Baby Names (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by nanizle(m): 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
A number of countries around the world have strict regulations on what you cannot and can name your children.

Most of these restrictions are sensible (and in the best interest of the child), though it's interesting to know that you cannot name your child Africa in Portugal

Here's a compilation of illegal baby names:

banned name - country

[b]Jerusalem - Belgium

Lucifer, Adolf Hitler, sex fruit, Chief, Christ, Mafia No Fear cheesy, H-Q, Rogue, Princess, Queen, Eminence, King, Lady, Lord, in short all royal monikers are banned - New Zealand

Venerdi (Friday) - Italy

Brfxxccxxmnpcccclll mmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 (pronounced Albin) - Sweden

007, Chow Tow (smelly head) undecided - Malaysia

Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler lipsrsealed - Germany

"@" - China

Anus, Monkey, Pluto - Denmark

Africa - Portugal angry

Akuma (Devil) - Portugal

Daemon (A character in Vampire Diaries) - France

Maradona angry, Tom, Angel, Brain, Candy, Daisy, Coral, Dart, Eden, Gal, Brain - Portugal

Gesher (Bridge) - Norway

Metallica, Superman cool, Veranda, Ikea, Elvis - Sweden

Saddam Hussein - Brazil

"." (Full Stop) - New Zealand
[/b]

A court in New Zealand ordered a parent who named their baby girl "Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii" to rename her 9 years later. A lawyer acting for the girl claimed she was so embarrassed by her name that she had kept it from her friends sad.

**Portugal has an 80-page document outlining acceptable and unacceptable names shocked, Portugal basically gave birth to the practice of banning names. For a long time in the country, only biblical or Christian names were allowed. Foreign and foreign-sounding names—say, Pablo, Olaf, Nirvana or Kennedy—all no-gos.

**In Germany, you must be able to tell the gender of the child by the first name, and the name chosen must not negatively affect the well being of the child. Also, you cannot use last names or the names of objects or products as first names.

**New Zealand earlier this year released an updated list of 77 unacceptable baby names which includes punctuation marks such as a period and asterisk and the use of slashes or bracket.

**In Denmark, parents can choose from a list of 7,000 pre-approved names. If you want to name your child something that isn't on the list, you have to get special permission from your local church, and the name is then reviewed by governmental officials.

**In China, new babies are now basically required to be named based on the ability of computer scanners to read those names on national identification cards. The government recommends giving children names that are easily readable.

**Benson and Hedges cool (for a set of twins), Midnight Chardonnay, Number 16 Bus Shelter and Violence are approved names in New Zealand

**As for our beloved Nigeria... We've got 99 problems and baby names aint one of them grin
But I suggest "Purity" should be banned in Nigeria. What if she the baby grows up and turns out to be a lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Just kidding tho!

Sources: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/05/03/12-countries-where-the-government-regulates-what-you-can-name-your-child/

http://www.wdsu.com/news/entertainment/-/9853140/20362280/-/5q7lwv/-/index.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/25034/8-countries-fascinating-baby-naming-laws

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Nobody: 7:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
It's funny how one of the banned names portrays the country's sentiment against a whole continent.

Hmmmm... Any ways sha... FTC cry

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Nobody: 7:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
STC. Comment later!!!!!
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
Pls who bears “anus” or even “superman”??

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
ROTFL @ benson aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ ‎​ hedges
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by nanizle(m): 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
ivy21: Pls who bears “anus” or even “superman”??

You would be surprised/shocked at what some oyinbo parents what to name their babies.
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by freda506(f): 8:02pm On Dec 27, 2013
nanizle:

banned name - country

[b]Jerusalem - Belgium undecided

Lucifer, Adolf Hitler, sex fruit, Chief, Christ, Christ, Mafia No Fear, H-Q, Rogue, Princess, Queen, Eminence, King, Lady, Lord, in short all royal monikers are banned - New Zealand grin

Brfxxccxxmnpcccclll mmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116 (pronounced Albin) - [color=#990000]Sweden
grin

Chow Tow (smelly head) undecided - Malaysia shocked

Osama bin Laden, Adolf Hitler lipsrsealed - Germany cheesy grin

Anus, Monkey, Pluto - Denmarkholy cow shocked

Africa - Portugal angryracists angry

Akuma (Devil) - Portugal shocked

Daemon (A character in Vampire Diaries) - France undecided

Maradona angry, - Portugal cheesy

Gesher (Bridge) - Norway cheesy

Superman cool, Sweden cheesy

Saddam Hussein - Brazil grin

"." (Full Stop) - New Zealand
[/b]who does this [/url]
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
Friend: Name of person, name of person. Me: "AFRICA". Friend: what? Dt shld b under continent. Me: Buhahahahahaha. Africa self b name? Bunch of confused hypocrite. Mstchew
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Emmyk(m): 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
Full stop?? This is absolutely redonkulous. cheesycheesy
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by jumzzy448: 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
full stop, anus, smelly head grin wetin person no go hear.
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Olugbenger(m): 10:10pm On Dec 27, 2013
thrash undecided
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Krasid2: 10:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
Which normal parent will name their child lucifer
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Guykhena(m): 11:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
In Nigeria all ibo names and calabar names should be banned,
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Decapo: 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
What of on nairaland? Name like sexkillz
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by nanizle(m): 12:06am On Dec 28, 2013
Lolaabokoku: ROTFL @ benson aΩ̴̩̩̩̥d̶̲̥̅̊ ‎​ hedges

HEy... meet my twins... Benson and Hedges. undecided
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by AderibigbeAAA(m): 12:22am On Dec 28, 2013
nawa o
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by lepasharon(f): 5:17am On Dec 28, 2013
What ?.. LOL
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by angelTI(f): 9:16am On Dec 28, 2013
This is a funny and revealing article. Oga MOD, FP o
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Temismith(f): 10:26am On Dec 28, 2013
In naija.... Obasanjo,abacha,alameseya etc
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by IAMBREEZY: 10:48am On Dec 28, 2013
Lol gringringrin at the names.gringringringringrin
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by joywendy(f): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2013
lol!! dis names are funny!
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by jmoore(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
Jezebel banned in Nigeria(Unwritten law)

2 Likes

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by wheesin(m): 12:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
. tongue
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by SuperSuave(m): 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2013
incase of fp
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Coldblooded(m): 1:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
"Berlin,Nigeria, Police,Who-knows-God,Governor,Inspector etc" . These are some of the names I saw people bear in Bayelsa

Nigeria should take note and check-mate the kind of names they bear in that great state. embarassed

If you've been to Bayelsa u can attest to this

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by SlyIg(f): 1:50pm On Dec 28, 2013
Cold blooded: "Berlin,Nigeria, Police,Who-knows-God,Governor,Inspector etc" . These are some of the names I saw people bear in Bayelsa

Nigeria should take note and check-mate the kind of names they bear in that great state. embarassed

If you've been to Bayelsa u can attest to this
Know as you d mention that state for internet o o. Seun hand no dey dia o o... Lol...

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by nanizle(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2013
Cold blooded: "Berlin,Nigeria, Police,Who-knows-God,Governor,Inspector etc" . These are some of the names I saw people bear in Bayelsa

If you've been to Bayelsa u can attest to this[/b]

shocked shocked shocked
I think I've heard of Governor. But Inspector? Police?? Nigeria

Ndi south south...
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Dhelake: 3:10pm On Dec 28, 2013
nanizle:

shocked shocked shocked
I think I've heard of Governor. But Inspector? Police?? Nigeria

Ndi south south...
there are even many more like government, Bournvita, tomorrow , polycarp
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Dhelake: 3:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
One name you sure can't name your child in Nigeria is Jesus

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by nanizle(m): 3:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
I can categorically say that south-south parents have the worst baby naming record in Nigeria....

How would you explain naming your baby Bournvita to him/her in future?

Bournvita ko, Ovaltine ni
Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Coldblooded(m): 5:21pm On Dec 28, 2013
Thank God people can attest to what I said. I served in that state so I saw things for maself. I wonder y someboby should name his/her beloved child "Nigeria" and expect the child to be normal cry

1 Like

Re: List Of Banned Baby Names Around The World by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 28, 2013
^^^rotfl

Av always bin saying it right 4rm time, Pple shouldnt name their children king, princess, queen, prince etc. dis is really common among naija folks...dey are titles not names￴.

During my secondary skul days, dere was dis girl in my class whose name was queen, d girl would always faínt nd stuffs like dat, she would b absent 4rm skul 4 like wks cos she had to sleep in church nd all dat￴. One term like dat, she resumed skul nd told evryone her pastor said she should stop answering to the name queen, dat we should start callin her Sarah. It was kinda hard at first but we later got used to it. God knows am not lying, after we started calling her dat, dere were positive changes, no more sickness, fainting and all that.

Sometimes these names av negative effects on the children....￴some pple are oblivious of the meaning of the names dey give dere children. ￴

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Husband Is Gay! / I Am Looking For My Dad: Emeka Kanezi / Male Child Versus Female Child,which Is Difficult To Raise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.