Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,730 members, 7,802,208 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Java Vs C Family - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Java Vs C Family (815 Views)

Java Vs C# Which Do You Prefer? / Java Vs PHP: Which Has The Brightest Future? / Java Vs C Sharp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Java Vs C Family by Knownpal(m): 8:26pm On Dec 27, 2013
My question goes thus, to those who have the knowledge, have earned with it and have gained a lot of information
on it or anyone that can help on the topic. Please is java and c family are on the same level, when talking about what they can do.
Like most of what I've
been thinking are as follows:

C used for - Memory, System, Utility in short deals with system programming (let me use that word)
Java - Organization's stuffs like payroll and desktop programs etc.

Please explain what I don't know, can java do what c and c++ do, and is there any abilites java can't do and c family
can do.
Re: Java Vs C Family by saemmanuel(m): 8:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
yup
Re: Java Vs C Family by kambo(m): 8:53pm On Dec 27, 2013
Java cant acess memory directly. The other languages can thru pointers.
The other languages can tell you ,programmatically,the size of a data type, java cant.
For feature by feature comparison and differences, google is your friend.
Re: Java Vs C Family by xager(m): 11:50pm On Dec 28, 2013
memory and speed differs
Re: Java Vs C Family by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:13am On Dec 29, 2013
Lets use car analogy, java is like automatic car while c/c++ is manual. In java a lot of things are already done for you saving from the stress of implemeting them but giving you less choice and less control. That is the reason while the standard java library is colossal. In C/C++ just the basics are done for you leaving you to take control and make your own choice, which can introduce nasty bugs due to silly mistakes. But the truth that is not told to most beginning programmers is that C++, in particular, has third party libraries that provide aboundant functionalities to save you the stress of implementing somethings youself.

And finally, java virtual machine is written in C/C++ ( correct me if I'm wrong)
Re: Java Vs C Family by ektbear: 2:17am On Dec 31, 2013
If you want to write an operating system, device driver or a real-time video game, you need C or C++.

But for most other tasks in computing, (e.g. internet servers/apps, desktop applications, distributed computing, etc), I think Java is performant enough, and also substantially safer (easier to write bug-free code) and requires less time to program the equivalent task than in say C or C++.

(1) (Reply)

The Best Programming Languages That You Should Learn First / What Programme To Know 1st As A Programming Beginner/novice / Computer Programming Experts #urgently Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.