Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,937 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:24 AM

Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training (6316 Views)

Subsea Engineering Easter Training Promo with Free HSE Training & Certification / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone / Pipeline Vs Subsea Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 2:46am On Dec 28, 2013
This is not an advert but a market survey to find out what the average Nigerian thinks about this topic.

Following the Nigerian Local Content requirements for oil and gas training to be done indigenously, I and some of my friends are considering doing Orcaflex and Ansys training in Nigeria. From my personal research, I have not really seen any company that does this training, even though these software packages are the major offshore subsea/naval engineering softwares used in the oil industry for design and analysis of offshore risers, flowlines, mooring lines and general floating platform hydrodynamics.

Please young Nigerian, what do you think? if we bring a training program of this nature will you guys pay to be trained? and how much will you be willing to pay?

Note that these software packages are used in companies like Shell, Total, Chevron, Addax, ExxonMobil, Technip, Saipem, etc. The 1 month training may therefore be able to increase your employability when you add to your CV and improve your general subsea and naval engineering I T proficiency.

I would like to know what you guys think; would such a training interest you and if so how much would you be willing to pay? You can google both software packages to know about them (Orcaflex and Ansys).

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by hm1222: 4:21am On Dec 28, 2013
Well i am interested in the training.. Where are you and how can we get this done? Waiting to read from you soon.. Thanks/
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by cemeka: 10:13pm On Dec 28, 2013
@ojcode247 Its a good idea and I am really interested in the training and will like to hear from you my email add: cemekaobi@gmail.com. hope to hear from you ASAP
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 3:19am On Dec 29, 2013
Thanks a lot cemeka and hm1222 for your response. We are currently in the process of doing all the paper work, necessary accreditation and logistics for this training program.

We are currently based in Glasgow, UK and we are a Nigerian company made up of Nigerian UK and US trained engineers, most of us with PhDs and years of oil and gas experience.

Hopefully we are looking at doing our first training before the end of the first quarter of next year, so maybe by April 2014. The advert for the training will be in newspapers and relevant Nigerian online job boards.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by cemeka: 9:53am On Dec 29, 2013
[quote author=ojcode247]Thanks a lot cemeka and hm1222 for your response. We are currently in the process of doing all the paper work, necessary accreditation and logistics for this training program.

We are currently based in Glasgow, UK and we are a Nigerian company made up of Nigerian UK and US trained engineers, most of us with PhDs and years of oil and gas experience.

Hopefully we are looking at doing our first training before the end of the first quarter of next year, so maybe by April 2014. The advert for the training will be in newspapers and relevant Nigerian online job boards.

Do you have a number or email add that I can use to contact you for further questions and I believe people will like to know the cost of the course and also will also want to know if there is a prerequisite for the course. Thank you for your time and hope to here from you ASAP[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by isi4(m): 10:53pm On Dec 29, 2013
@ OP pls let us know when you are to carry out the training!!! im so interested!
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by tafrica(m): 11:20pm On Dec 29, 2013
People will be more interested if your training school can lias with companies such that students can have practical experience in form of internship about what they learnt. I, as a person, am still looking for a company that does that. Many people undergo courses like these and never have the chance to put it to use till they gradually forget all.
My 1cent.

By the way, do you a website or perhaps any avenue people can use to keep track on you?
Thanks
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 12:48am On Dec 30, 2013
Thanks tafrica and isi4. I see your point tafrica, it is a major concern for me personally, as you have said it would not be nice if you pay so much for a software training and still keep looking for a job and never get to use the software.

This is one of the reasons we are taking our time to do all the logistics and necessary accreditation. At the end of the training we will issue you a certificate of training and a recommendation letter to companies you are applying to, stating that you are proficient in the software and list the things you can use the software for to contribute to their work.

You guys should also note the following;
companies are looking for young graduates that can actually DO something, so the question is what can you do? your degree may not be enough to get you a job and you obviously know that the trainee positions are very very competitive in Nigeria.

The subsea/naval engineering software training will make you proficient in doing subsea pipe design and analysis, floating platform hydrodynamics, mooring lines and riser static and dynamic analysis, amongst other very important offshore marine system analysis.

After the training, these are things you can tell a company you can do and your proficiency in this software will increase your employability and give you an edge ahead of your colleagues.

We are still in talks with some agencies like the NCDMB and some small companies in the Niger Delta with marginal field operations, so maybe by the time we start the training we may be able to offer our best trainees job placement. This is however not confirmed yet.

We are also still working on our website. Once everything is ready, I will post the web address on this forum.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 1:09am On Dec 30, 2013
[quote author=cemeka][/quote]

you can reach me on o.ojieh@subnave.com

we are yet to do the costing for the training because we are still designing the brochure, however the standard cost for such training would be in the range of 300 to 500 GBP.

Because of the high technical content of the software algorithm, we are unable to accept any trainee without at least a 2.2 BEng, BSc or HND in Engineering, Physics or Mathematics (any technical or mathematical degree)

we also require you to do an extensive study on what Orcaflex software is used for, so that if its something that does not interest you there is no need to apply for the training.

We are preparing a training facility somewhere on the Island in Lagos for only 20 trainees each month, so it would be on a 1st come 1st serve basis. However we will make it possible for you to register in advance in case your month of interest is already fully booked.

Hope this answers your questions cemeka.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by tafrica(m): 6:18am On Dec 30, 2013
Thanks.
Waiting patiently and hopefully. But please do something about the internship issue, it really aches our heads Sir.
I know I will get there one day.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by Juvante(m): 9:59pm On Dec 31, 2013
I am interested. Tick my name as long as the price is competitive and the training content is encompassing.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 11:32am On Jan 01, 2014
Juvante: I am interested. Tick my name as long as the price is competitive and the training content is encompassing.

Thanks Juvante for your reply.

Make sure you keep in touch so you know when we start, hopefully between March and April. The training will be well structured such that after the 3 or 4 weeks training you will be well equipped as a subsea/naval system software engineering analyst, proficient in Orcaflex software and have a fundamental knowledge of subsea engineering and naval architecture.

As I said earlier, the cost for the training would be in the range of 300 to 500 GBP. Acceptance to the training would be by application first. We would need to see your CV first so that if the training is something you do not require it would be best not to waste your time doing it.

Happy new year and warm regards.

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by samilo88(m): 1:41pm On Jan 01, 2014
Nice initiative.. Keep up the good work.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by tafrica(m): 2:11pm On Jan 01, 2014
samilo88: Nice initiative.. Keep up the good work.

Oga Sammie, I sight u.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by cemeka: 2:42pm On Jan 01, 2014
@ojcode247 if I understand we will be able to train with the actual software and it will be installed on our PC's so we can also use it after the training.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2014
cemeka: @ojcode247 if I understand we will be able to train with the actual software and it will be installed on our PC's so we can also use it after the training.

Happy new year cemeka!

Yes, you are correct, the license we paid for gives access to 20 users, so you can run your own static and dynamic analysis on the PC in our training facility. After the 3 weeks training the trainee will no longer have access to the actual licensed version of the software since it will only be available on our company owned PCs.

However, if the trainee has a laptop, we can help you install a free trial version so you can practise on your own. Even after your training we can make access available to the licensed version at a fee, so you can come into our office to run actual timed simulations for your analysis work.

When we start these are some of the concerns we will address amongst other things.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by Juvante(m): 11:54am On Jan 02, 2014
I have a B.Eng in Petroleum Engineering,and planning for an Msc in winter semester. If the organisers can assure me on internship opportunities after training, send further info to abseileru@spemail.org
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by viruz007(m): 6:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
Nice idea but but i need to ask, how about those that are not based in Lagos? Say sum1 like me who is in PH, how do we go about it?
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 6:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
Juvante: I have a B.Eng in Petroleum Engineering,and planning for an Msc in winter semester. If the organisers can assure me on internship opportunities after training, send further info to abseileru@spemail.org

Juvante, at the moment we are unable to confirm any internship positions. If you are going to base your decision to attend the training on availability of internships it may be that our training may not be suitable for you at this time, it may be better for you to apply for internships with companies that offer internship positions.

However we will look at beginning internships for some of our very outstanding trainees probably towards the end of the year.

All the best with your MSc later the year.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 6:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
viruz007: Nice idea but but i need to ask, how about those that are not based in Lagos? Say sum1 like me who is in PH, how do we go about it?

You have raised a very good question. We do have plans to establish offices in PH and Warri over the next few months, probably in about a year or so. The delay is due to logistics and high capital expenditure; we are a global company not a roadside firm, so we invest quite a lot in our infrastructure and human resources.

If you are quite enthusiastic about attending the training by April in Lagos, you can travel down and maybe stay with friends or relatives during the duration of the training (most likely 3 weeks).

Only on a personal basis will we offer you some concession/discount because you are coming from another city. I cannot confirm any amount but we may be able to do something for you regarding your transport fare. However I cannot confirm yet.

As long as you have a passion to learn and become a subsea/naval engineering software analyst, remember that you are gaining knowledge and skill, nothing should be an obstacle to what you want to achieve, not even distance.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by Greenlighthse(m): 8:03pm On Jan 02, 2014
this is my email address steve@greenlighthse.com i look forward hearing from you.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by tafrica(m): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
Do we need to drop our email addy's for future reminder?
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by tafrica(m): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
Do we need to drop our email addy's for future reminder?
I wanted to drop it, but it wil become a trend on this thread very soon.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 2:35am On Jan 03, 2014
tafrica: Do we need to drop our email addy's for future reminder?
I wanted to drop it, but it wil become a trend on this thread very soon.

tafrica thanks for your question.

Yes it occurred to me that some of you already on this forum would want to be the first to benefit from the training. You can drop your email addresses so that you can be given priority over the general public. (check for my email in previous post)

As I said earlier, our training facility can only accommodate 20 trainees for each 3-week training session, so it would be on a 1st come 1st serve basis.

Just today we started talks with the Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) here in the UK. If our application is successful then the certificate of training we would issue to trainees after the training would state that the training is accredited by the institution.

We are working very hard to make sure that after the training, apart from the knowledge and skills trainees will gain, you should be able to use the training certificate and recommendation letter to secure a job in the oil and gas industry in Nigeria. That would be our real success and we are passionate about helping and empowering the Nigerian engineering graduate.

We are also going to keep all trainee details on file for future recruitment. We hope to expand to every major city in Nigeria and provide consulting services in the area of subsea and offshore design and analysis using these softwares and also providing expert subsea engineering training for oil and gas workers. Some of our trainees will be hired for these jobs.

I hope you see the big picture, its not just about the training, its about empowering you for real-time oil and gas work, but more information would be given during the training session.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by cemeka: 9:16am On Jan 04, 2014
@ojcode247 let me commend you the way you attend to everyone's issues explicitly it is really cool. My email is cemekaobi@gmail.com . Then my next question is learning oracflex is not the issue but learning the principles of the design is the issue e.g it will be quite simple to perform an anlysis for a stinger or a riser with the software but if we don't know the principles the software will be teaching us and thats not what the case is suppose to be so my question is will there be theory teaching so we can know the basics of the design and be able to really understand the output of the software and know what to look for so incase the software is down I can manually calculate what I want with a spreadsheet. Thank you sir.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 10:45am On Jan 04, 2014
cemeka: @ojcode247 let me commend you the way you attend to everyone's issues explicitly it is really cool. My email is cemekaobi@gmail.com . Then my next question is learning oracflex is not the issue but learning the principles of the design is the issue e.g it will be quite simple to perform an anlysis for a stinger or a riser with the software but if we don't know the principles the software will be teaching us and thats not what the case is suppose to be so my question is will there be theory teaching so we can know the basics of the design and be able to really understand the output of the software and know what to look for so incase the software is down I can manually calculate what I want with a spreadsheet. Thank you sir.

Thanks for the question.

Yes, there will be theory teachings, that's why the training is for 3 weeks, typically 8am to 5pm everyday with a one hour lunch break, lunch would be provided. It is pointless for you to know how to use a software without understanding the algorithm behind the applications. We would cover areas like types of risers and mooring line configurations, different types of floating platforms currently being used in offshore exploration and production (FPSO, semisubmersible, spar, top tensioned platform, etc), and then the equations behind the analysis like morrisons equation, navier stokes equation and then metocean data like the Jonswap and stokes 5th.

We would do a lot of classroom work, courseworks, group projects, software practise and assessment tests. The best trainee with the highest scores by the end of the training would be retained and offered a job with us, with good entry-level pay and some benefits (after a 6 month probation period).

So in summary, the 3 weeks would not only be to practise the orcaflex software but to properly understand the rudimentary theory behind the application.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

ojcode247
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by SundayPhilip: 11:21am On Jan 05, 2014
Thank you sir for this. What do u mean by 300 To 500 GBP. This si my email for further info. Sunday.attamah@yahoo.com. Am eager to receive your reply
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 5:22pm On Jan 05, 2014
Sunday Philip: Thank you sir for this. What do u mean by 300 To 500 GBP. This si my email for further info. Sunday.attamah@yahoo.com. Am eager to receive your reply

300 to 500 Great British Pounds (GBP)
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by cemeka: 5:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
ojcode247:

Thanks for the question.

Yes, there will be theory teachings, that's why the training is for 3 weeks, typically 8am to 5pm everyday with a one hour lunch break, lunch would be provided. It is pointless for you to know how to use a software without understanding the algorithm behind the applications. We would cover areas like types of risers and mooring line configurations, different types of floating platforms currently being used in offshore exploration and production (FPSO, semisubmersible, spar, top tensioned platform, etc), and then the equations behind the analysis like morrisons equation, navier stokes equation and then metocean data like the Jonswap and stokes 5th.

We would do a lot of classroom work, courseworks, group projects, software practise and assessment tests. The best trainee with the highest scores by the end of the training would be retained and offered a job with us, with good entry-level pay and some benefits (after a 6 month probation period).

So in summary, the 3 weeks would not only be to practise the orcaflex software but to properly understand the rudimentary theory behind the application.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

ojcode247

Please @ojcode247 when you say 3 weeks, is it 3 full weeks i.e..e(Mondays - Saturdays) or 3 weekends i.e.(Saturday and Sunday). Am asking because you said 3 weeks 8am to 5pm everyday and if that is the case we that are working won't be able to attend the course so please explain so i can be clear on this issue. thank you very much
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 9:47pm On Jan 06, 2014
cemeka:

Please @ojcode247 when you say 3 weeks, is it 3 full weeks i.e..e(Mondays - Saturdays) or 3 weekends i.e.(Saturday and Sunday). Am asking because you said 3 weeks 8am to 5pm everyday and if that is the case we that are working won't be able to attend the course so please explain so i can be clear on this issue. thank you very much

The training would be full time, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm everyday. If you are working and you still want to do the training, we will give you an opportunity to contact us to discuss an available option that fits your schedule.
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
I
Re: Offshore/subsea Engineering Software (orcaflex) Training by ojcode247: 5:41am On Jan 08, 2014
harde2lah: I am interested in this software training. I recently finished my master's program at the institute of Petroleum Studies (IPS), and I am very eager to further my knowledge and interest in Offshore and Subsea Engineering. Please keep me posted, my email address -opeyemi.adetula@ymail.com. Thanks!

Congrats on the completion of your masters at IPS. Once we sort out the logistics for the training I will post the website address for you to register for the training.

Regards

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Experience As A Sales Man / Masters Degree Or Continue With Present Job / 12 Ways Of Building Team Spirit In An Office Environment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.