Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors (6277 Views)

Nigerian Central Bank Rejects Sanctions On Stanbic IBTC Bank / Emefiele And The (near) Impossibility Of Governing A Nigerian Central Bank / Naira Slumps As Nigerian Central Bank Aims To Protect Reserves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:05am On Dec 28, 2013
Let us closely examine the past CBN Governors and juxtapose their resumés. Moreso as the rumour is gradually becoming a reality that Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has been placed on a compulsory retirement to be effective on or before March 2014....

Mallam Aliyu Mai-Bornu: First indigenous CBN Gov from Bornu. He was a teacher and was made Dep CBN Gov just 6 years after studying Economics and with no proven background in finance or economics

Clement Isong: Had PhD from Havard. Was econ9omics teacher at UI and worked as an Adviser at IMF before been appointed as CBN Gov

Adamu Ciroma: No discernible academic or industry qualifications.

Ola Vincent: Sudied economics and taught at UI and started working in finance from 1959. Joined CBN in 1963,, left and became VP OF African Development Bank. Returned to CBN in 1973 and was made Gov in 1977. 18 years after he started working in finance

Abdulkadir Ahmed: No industry experience.Graduated 1972 was made commissioner of Finance in Bauchi in 1976 and in 1977 was appointed Dep Gov CBN JUST 5 YEARS AFTER graduating South West London College.

Paul Ogwuma: graduated in 1962. Worked as an accountant in London from 1966. Became CBN Gov in 1993, that is 31 years after graduating!

Joseph Oladele Sanusi: Graduated in 1965,, joined CBN IN 1966 and became Gov in 2004, that is 34 years after graduating!

Dr Soludo: Graduated with 1st class in 1984. Worked at IMF , the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford and a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA). He has also worked as a consultant for a number of international organizations, including The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme. He became Gov 20 years after graduating

Sanusi Lamido: studied Islamic studies from Sudan, wrote for Gamji a Hausa blog, mostly about Sharia, worked at Ministry of foreign affairs and was made CBN GOV 10 YEARS after joining the banking industry
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Taiwo20(m): 8:11am On Dec 28, 2013
Notherners sabi politics die.
After lemme hear you complain about the North......they hold over 50% of Nigeria's poitical powers

3 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by bigfree: 8:23am On Dec 28, 2013
nice update
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by AderibigbeAAA(m): 8:26am On Dec 28, 2013
Sanusi studied Economics in ABU (Bsc and Msc) before getting a PHD in shariah and islamic studies from Sudan .

Sanusi never worked in ministry of foreign affairs. His
father was a Permanent Secretary in
the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the
1960s.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:27am On Dec 28, 2013
So who is next?

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:34am On Dec 28, 2013
bigfree: nice update

Thank you
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Sigoal(m): 8:40am On Dec 28, 2013
Fp tinz joor
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Sigoal(m): 8:45am On Dec 28, 2013
Taiwo20: Notherners sabi politics die.
After lemme hear you complain about the North......they hold over 50% of Nigeria's poitical powers
Bt dey ar not wel educated like Yoruba nd dey take d lion's share in d politics of naija. I wonder hw dey speak english,80% of dem can't speak english fluently

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 8:49am On Dec 28, 2013
Sigoal:
Bt dey ar not wel educated like Yoruba nd dey take d lion's share in d politics of naija. I wonder hw dey speak english,80% of dem can't speak english fluently

grin

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by IleIfe2(m): 8:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Dada-Stephen:

Dr Soludo: Graduated with 1st class in 1984. Worked at IMF , the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford and a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA). He has also worked as a consultant for a number of international organizations, including The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme. He became Gov 20 years after graduating

Sanusi Lamido: studied Islamic studies from Sudan, wrote for Gamji a Hausa blog, mostly about Sharia, worked at Ministry of foreign affairs and was made CBN GOV 10 YEARS after joining the banking industry

So who should be the next CBN governor, Peter Obi's wife, Eze ego of nairaland or OKonjo Iweala? grin grin grin You guys will never change. brief and wrong information about others but did not fail to mention Soludo had a first class degree.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by yoddy(m): 9:00am On Dec 28, 2013
Are you sure of this? Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was MD of First Bank Nigeria before he was made CBN governor. He's a seasoned banker. This single error discredits your post.

In 1985 Sanusi joined Icon Limited (Merchant Bankers), a subsidiary of Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank of New York, and Baring Brothers of London. He moved to the United Bank for Africa in 1997 in the Credit and Risk Management Division, rising to the position of a General Manager. In September 2005, he joined the Board of First Bank of Nigeria as an Executive Director in charge of Risk and Management Control, and was appointed Group Managing Director (CEO) in January 2009. He was also the Chairman, Kakawa Discount House and sat on the Board of FBN Bank (UK) Limited.[1] Sanusi is recognized in the banking industry for his contribution towards developing a Risk Management culture in the Nigerian banking sector.[5] First Bank is Nigeria's oldest bank and one of the biggest financial institutions in Africa.[6] Sanusi was the first Northerner to be appointed CEO in First Bank's history of more than a century.[7]

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanusi_Lamido_Sanusi

It shows you're trying to imply a particular section of the country do not merit what they get.

Why don't you look for more positive things to write about. Even if you want to dwell on our differences, highlight the positive aspects also.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Sigoal(m): 9:10am On Dec 28, 2013
yoddy: Are you sure of this? Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was MD of First Bank Nigeria before he was made CBN governor. He's a seasoned banker. This single error discredits your post.

In 1985 Sanusi joined Icon Limited (Merchant Bankers), a subsidiary of Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank of New York, and Baring Brothers of London. He moved to the United Bank for Africa in 1997 in the Credit and Risk Management Division, rising to the position of a General Manager. In September 2005, he joined the Board of First Bank of Nigeria as an Executive Director in charge of Risk and Management Control, and was appointed Group Managing Director (CEO) in January 2009. He was also the Chairman, Kakawa Discount House and sat on the Board of FBN Bank (UK) Limited.[1] Sanusi is recognized in the banking industry for his contribution towards developing a Risk Management culture in the Nigerian banking sector.[5] First Bank is Nigeria's oldest bank and one of the biggest financial institutions in Africa.[6] Sanusi was the first Northerner to be appointed CEO in First Bank's history of more than a century.[7]

It shows you're trying to imply a particular section of the country do not merit what they get.

Why don't you look for more positive things to write about. Even if you want to dwell on our differences, highlight the positive aspects also.

I tink you ar 4rm northern part of d country. cheesy
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 9:12am On Dec 28, 2013
yoddy: Are you sure of this? Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was MD of First Bank Nigeria before he was made CBN governor. He's a seasoned banker. This single error discredits your post.

Noted. But fact remains that SLS has only a first degree in Economics while other qualification was on Islamic studies.
I also admit i skipped his Firstbank job but it was unintentional.
This post wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. I was concerned about the academic qualifications

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 9:20am On Dec 28, 2013
It shows you're trying to imply a particular section of the country..... [/quote]

Well, i am sorry, but based on the fact on ground and their performance in office , i'm afraid i will have to agree.
Just look at Adamu Ciroma for instance.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by FrankC3: 9:21am On Dec 28, 2013
Sanusi has just a B.Sc in Economics and another in Islamic Studies in Sudan. He has neither M.Sc nor PhD in anything. He lectured B.Sc aspirants in ABU with B.Sc. We have discussed this guy severally here and if anybody wants to contradict my claim, it should be very easy to prove.

That was actually my problem with the guy and the system that made him CBN governor. That's really why he can believe that $50b can get lost from the nations coffers in 18 months. Most 3rd year Economics students will not even agree with such crap.

We need a replacement that has global exposure in this fast globalizing world. I really felt that Mansur Mukhtar woulve have been a better nominee but Yar'Adua felt otherwise and brought Sanusi. Now is the time to fix that problem and bring in an exposed man/woman. Anyway, the new CBN governor is very qualified. You will confirm this when he is announced. In my opinion, anyone who has not had stint in the top 20 business schools in the world nor the major multilateral UN level agencies should never near that office again.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 9:34am On Dec 28, 2013
Frank-C:
Sanusi has just a B.Sc in Economics and another in Islamic Studies in Sudan. He has neither M.Sc nor PhD in anything. He lectured B.Sc aspirants in ABU with B.Sc. We have discussed this guy severally here and if anybody wants to contradict my claim, it should be very easy to prove.

That was actually my problem with the guy and the system that made him CBN governor. That's really why he can believe that $50b can get lost from the nations coffers in 18 months. Most 3rd year Economics students will not even agree with such crap.

We need a replacement that has global exposure in this fast globalizing world. I really felt that Mansur Mukhtar woulve have been a better nominee but Yar'Adua felt otherwise and brought Sanusi. Now is the time to fix that problem and bring in an exposed man/woman. Anyway, the new CBN governor is very qualified. You will confirm this when he is announced. In my opinion, anyone who has not had stint in the top 20 business schools in the world nor the major multilateral UN level agencies should never near that office again.

THANK YOU!
Nigerians are full of unnecessary sentimental attachment to issues.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by 4Play(m): 9:44am On Dec 28, 2013
I have always felt that Nigeria requires someone with an economics PHD at the helm of the CBN. It's okay to have a diversity of educational backgrounds at board level but the CBN governor should be a top notch economist.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Archmage(m): 10:04am On Dec 28, 2013
Sigoal:
from my observations, hausas are quite intelligent. Those that get educated really do well. Except for the p and f ish.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by yoddy(m): 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2013
Sigoal:

I tink you ar 4rm northern part of d country. cheesy

ℓ☺ℓ I'm a yoruba boy that dreams of a great Nigeria where merit is exalted

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
sanusi lamido sanusi is the worst of them all

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by okoomoge2(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2013
Your academic qualification does not necessarily determine your career altitude.
Go firgue !!!!

No wonder Nigerians are classified as professional students here in the western world.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by IGBOSON1: 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ile-Ife:

So who should be the next CBN governor, Peter Obi's wife, Eze ego of nairaland or OKonjo Iweala? grin grin grin You guys will never change. brief and wrong information about others but did not fail to mention Soludo had a first class degree.

^^^I think the glaring difference between the career progression of Sanusi and Soludo is that whereas Sanusi got to the pinnacle of his career mainly by virtue of where he's from (ie- his princely status, Daddy and Uncles connections, and the fact that Hausa/Fulani 'owned' Nigeria for decades); Soludos' success on the other hand owes more to individual effort, hardwork, and burning the midnight candle.....his Dad wasn't a rich man, nor had the necessary connections that Sanusi was lucky to have!

This is not to say that Sanusi isn't brilliant in his own right. But for the 'connections' he had, i doubt he would have been fast-tracked to the highest office in banking at such an astronomical rate!

4 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by MAYOWAAK: 3:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
Before some people speak or write on any issue, you can predict precisely what their position would be. It must always be to defend or project sectional interest. Yet, for all intents and purposes, no ethnic group can claim innocence in the brigandage going on in Nigeria and the mismanagement of the country. To think one ethnic group is “clean” and the others are “evil” is to ignore fact and glamorise fiction. It is human beings, not ethnic groups, that are bad.

I cringe anytime I remember the day Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was nominated as the governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria. A colleague, who knew nothing about Sanusi, screamed: “So they are going to bring this illiterate Malam to come and destroy everything Soludo has built?” The colleague in question does not have half of Sanusi’s education or a quarter of his competence, but such were the prejudices we inherited from the foundation of Nigeria. We never bother to question these prejudices and face the facts. We mostly fail to judge everyone by his or her character. We simply pass the prejudices on to the next generation. This nonsensical stereotyping feeds our mind-sets. Yorubas are traitors and cowards; Hausas are illiterates and dumb; Igbos are fraudsters and money worshipers. Isn’t it refreshing that in football, we judge every player by his ability and performance, rather than by his ethnic origin?

By the way Adamu Ciroma studied History at the University of Ibadan.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DahomeyAmazon(f): 3:04pm On Dec 28, 2013
Soludo the thief indicted in the polymer scandal also has a case with the efcc
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 3:29pm On Dec 28, 2013
I'm actually enjoying the thread. I posted this without bias o prejudice, and i'm learning from the arguments from diverse angles
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DahomeyAmazon(f): 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dada-Stephen:
I'm actually enjoying the thread. I posted this without bias o prejudice, and i'm learning from the arguments from diverse angles
Lair, you deliberately hid Lamido's first bank credentials same for other northerners and you are not bias.
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Oyedey4u(m): 7:03pm On Dec 28, 2013
So we wait for the next technocrat to be appointed into the position. I think an unknown but sound economist will do better at this time.
Merry Xmas 2 u all
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by 36STATES: 8:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
If any of you writing these things here had lost money in the stock market crash of 2008 you would have known that Soludo was a disaster. Solude is a big time crook and doesn't have the qualification and the uprightness to run a sensitive institution like CBN. Sanusi is the best thing that happened to the central bank ever. Though a lot of corruption is still going on there, but that is a discussion for another day. Soludo was 100% aware of all the thieving happening in the banks by people like Mrs Ibru of Oceanic, Erastus Akingbole of GTB etc. OBJ, Soludo and Ndi Onyiuke was real axis of evil for investors in Nigeria when they were heading there respective offices.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by adconline(m): 8:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
36STATES: If any of you writing these things here had lost money in the stock market crash of 2008 you would have known that Soludo was a disaster. Solude is a big time crook and doesn't have the qualification and the uprightness to run a sensitive institution like CBN. Sanusi is the best thing that happened to the central bank ever. Though a lot of corruption is still going on there, but that is a discussion for another day. Soludo was 100% aware of all the thieving happening in the banks by people like Mrs Ibru of Oceanic, Erastus Akingbole of GTB etc. OBJ, Soludo and Ndi Onyiuke was real axis of evil for investors in Nigeria when they were heading there respenctive offices.
Since SLS brought his expertise and Midas touch to bear, why haven't stocks risen like in other global markets?

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by DadaStephen1(m): 9:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
Dahomey Amazon:
Lair, you deliberately hid Lamido's first bank credentials same for other northerners and you are not bias.

Are you kidding me?! You are so narrow and shallow minded that you cannot decipher the truth from deception?
What's my business with Lamido or whatever name he's called?
Bros abeg respect yourself o, no go let me wash you o. sad
Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by Nobody: 9:20pm On Dec 28, 2013
Preventing an imaginary crisis is the easier thing in the world

with that we can all be heroes

Sanusi solved no banking crisis

its all in his dreams

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Central Bank Governors by sulakishop(m): 8:18am On Dec 29, 2013
mikeansy: Preventing an imaginary crisis is the easier thing in the world

with that we can all be heroes

Sanusi solved no banking crisis

its all in his dreams

gbam!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biafra A Village In Portugal! / AGF, IGP To Decide Magu’s Fate / Graphic Pictures of Dora Akunyili's Husband, Killed By IPOB ESN.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.