Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32549 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by tpia5: 5:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
Digressing

If yoruba girls are as ( insert your usual lingo here) as some ranters say, then how is it the ones you know keep hopping from bed to bed, meaning how can they keep changing lovers like clothes if they are (insert usual lingo here).

Just curious.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 5:40pm On Dec 30, 2013
An igbo guy once told me that he is proud of Yoruba ladies because they are so devoted and will never see money as a priority over love, Very tolerant and enduring.

I guess its as a result if the culture they have imbibed. Bride price are returned because our parents place no value on money and they also believe their daughters are worth more than silver and gold.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChykG(m): 5:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
Like seriously??! Anoda reason i must marry a yoruba gal

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by picoba(m): 5:48pm On Dec 30, 2013

Ibo collect nothing less than 300,000.00 Naira.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Toks2008(m): 5:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
Chyk G: Like seriously??! Anoda reason i must marry a yoruba gal

just show her real love and care with enough shagging and you will not believe how clingy and devoted she will be.Money is never a priority. If you have it they will help you manage it very well and if you don't have they will manage.90% of Yoruba ladies are Very Humble,submissive,sexy and mostly educated.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Noneroone(m): 6:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Christy G: more yibboe animals ranting,u pple and dumb analysis
first bullet..........ODESHI
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Seempliehuman(m): 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
nekaa: cause the money is too small to be used for anything actually....

Before you start barking and biting; I am a yoruba gal smiley
yup, you're probably absolutely right.
But supposing you were wrong, being 'a Yoruba gal' dosent give you the right to insult the culture.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Seempliehuman(m): 6:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
nekaa: cause the money is too small to be used for anything actually....

Before you start barking and biting; I am a yoruba gal smiley
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by meforyou1(m): 6:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
picoba:

sharap. In my town in imo state, it's 75 naira if both bride and groom are my townsmen. And 150 naira if the groom is not from our town. That apart, there are compulsory things to buy for the bride's family which Yoruba and hausas also do
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by iconize(m): 7:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
Christy G: why are u describing ur hairy,yam legged women,we already know that.dem full for dat market.e.g afrocandy and cossy.keep d story to urself abeg
You're very uncouth...
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by reachmejane: 7:14pm On Dec 30, 2013
BC they know they know they know the woman won't stay long in d man's house BC their case is for better we stay, for worse we go.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by PastorOluT(m): 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2013
Omooba77: Biblically Bride price is compulsory; though most Yoruba family collect and return it immediately to groom's family.

No sir, there is nothing like that biblical, its just an old tradition in the east which God find nothing wrong with.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 8:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
iconize:
You're lady so stop being uncouth.
abeg face front joor.so u see nothing bad with d person i was replying,na my own u come see abi?mthceeew

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
Most yoruba do that, because they try to make sure the groom takes good care of their daughter. Also to make sure he views her as he's wife, and not he's bitch.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by jahlove4jah: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2013
The question was why yoruba's return theirs and not why Igbo's don't return theirs.E- terrorist/Racist should start yawning nonsense.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by aryzgreat: 8:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
In igbo culture, returning bride price means marruage annulment. If u think collecting bride price means selling ur daughter as many are insinuating, then ur ladies are so cheap to be sold for 1000 naira. Do u also return d rice u ate? D items d groom brought? Bride price is symbolic and is returned when marriage hits d rock.

My town bride price is 1500, if u call dat selling of daughter then u r a wretched and poor creature.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by aryzgreat: 8:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
Toks2008: An igbo guy once told me that he is proud of Yoruba ladies because they are so devoted and will never see money as a priority over love, Very tolerant and enduring.

I guess its as a result if the culture they have imbibed. Bride price are returned because our parents place no value on money and they also believe their daughters are worth more than silver and gold.

Oh! Shut it! Wot is d fraction of d bride price to d owambe party d groom throws? U guys are hypocrite! Bride price of 1000 compared to 1million naira owambe.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by superstar1(m): 9:01pm On Dec 30, 2013
nice thread.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by 300wayne: 9:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nobody is answerin d question d op av askd instead ya all shearin ya xperiences##me awanna knw#. Uhmm b4 ah forget pls single yoruba ladies can PM cuz ah can reinvest dat money ooo#usin one stone to kill three bird#
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2013
aryzgreat: In igbo culture, returning bride price means marruage annulment. If u think collecting bride price means selling ur daughter as many are insinuating, then ur ladies are so cheap to be sold for 1000 naira. Do u also return d rice u ate? D items d groom brought? Bride price is symbolic and is returned when marriage hits d rock.

My town bride price is 1500, if u call dat selling of daughter then u r a wretched and poor creature.
look d way,u twisted it to suit ur bigoted dumb self.who is talking about marriage annulment here?if dat is wat it means in ur so called culture well it is diferent in yoruba culture,u can take d remainnig of u d.aft ranting to d gutters,dey belong dere.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 9:23pm On Dec 30, 2013
aryzgreat: In igbo culture, returning bride price means marruage annulment. If u think collecting bride price means selling ur daughter as many are insinuating, then ur ladies are so cheap to be sold for 1000 naira. Do u also return d rice u ate? D items d groom brought? Bride price is symbolic and is returned when marriage hits d rock.

look d way,u twisted it to suit ur bigoted dumb self.who is talking about marriage annulment here?who gives a sh1t how it is done in ur culture.if dat is wat it means in ur so called culture well it is diferent in yoruba culture,u can take d remainnig of u d.aft ranting to d gutters,dey belong dere.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by suleimanalidu(m): 9:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
Even my state,dey return d mony back,bt nt d mony u re payin on ur wife,it is d mony u re payin to d family wl b return to u,bt d mony u re payin on ur wife wud b use by ur wife,no family member wil ask her,hw mch ur hubby giv u.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
farai97: groom price undecided

Dowry: very common in india and some part of rivers state.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by heartmatters(f): 9:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
I think most parent see collecting bride price as selling their daugthers. My dad told us my mother's parent returned d bride price to him, that all they wanted was for him to take care of their child, if not they will be @ his place to pack her things.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by jadoremoid: 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
So many children here, anyone who can't have intelligent discussions without resorting to insulting other tribes has low IQ and self esteem.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mondob2k(m): 10:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
what abt Igbos with high Bride Price? imagine the bride`s father returning the thousands of naira paid. na slap he go collect from his umunna
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
picoba:

For sale tinz? undecided
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 10:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
Toks2008:

just show her real love and care with enough shagging and you will not believe how clingy and devoted she will be.Money is never a priority. If you have it they will help you manage it very well and if you don't have they will manage.90% of Yoruba ladies are Very Humble,submissive,sexy and mostly educated.
A whoppin 90%? Do ur calculatn again
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Dec 30, 2013
[quote author=jadoremoid]So many children here, anyone who can't have intelligent discussions without resorting to insulting other tribes has low IQ and self esteem. [/quote
I'm realy fed up wit dis insult issue, so quick @ it, wat's even d gain @ d end of d day?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by jadoremoia: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by helgaone: 11:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
i am igbo and my dad has four daughters.he returned d dowry for four of us.that is his personal view.it will be selfish to condem someone that didnt.leave igbos alone!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by yemmy75(m): 1:34am On Dec 31, 2013
Omooba77:
my brother if you marry a yoruba lady;culture dictates it must be returned
Really?? Hearing dat 4d first time

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is There Any Danger In Sleeping With A Widow When Her Hubby Has Not Been Buried? / Alaafin Of Oyo Welcomes Baby Boy With Bolanle / Atayese Oba Ogunlana Wedding: IFA African Traditional Religion Style (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.