Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,982 members, 7,806,869 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (32540 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 1:36am On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: look d way,u twisted it to suit ur bigoted dumb self.who is talking about marriage annulment here?who gives a sh1t how it is done in ur culture.if dat is wat it means in ur so called culture well it is diferent in yoruba culture,u can take d remainnig of u d.aft ranting to d gutters,dey belong dere.

people like u are already cursed before u wia born. i dont need to curse u out some more cos d generational curse following u is already messing up ur life if u have one. if u love God u will love ur neighbour except the devil taken absolute control of ur life dats y u cant prosper and ure out here takin out ur frustration on a particular tribe. ur parents failed in ur upbringing. u shld b ashamed of urself. disgustin creature
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by yemmy75(m): 1:36am On Dec 31, 2013
sexymoma: Cos We Assume We Aren't Giving Out Our Daughter For Money.

But It Biblical To Accept Bride Price.
Mind giving references?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 1:38am On Dec 31, 2013
aryzgreat:

Oh! Shut it! Wot is d fraction of d bride price to d owambe party d groom throws? U guys are hypocrite! Bride price of 1000 compared to 1million naira owambe.

And who told you its the groom that pays for the party? Traditionally, its the bride family that is hosting the grooms people. But nowadays, the party is a collabo between both families to save cost.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 2:49am On Dec 31, 2013
Omooba77: Most of the wedding I have attended in Yoruba land; including mine, why do wife's family return the bride price saying they are not selling their daughter. Is it right?

You people should keep returning it nau
That's why the man will go on and marry two three and 4 wives in Yorubaland because all of them will return the bride price and he will keep marrying
Thinking that life is that easy
We don't return jack where I come from
After he has paid that money,he knows to stick to that one wife because there is no money to marry another grin
That is the our strategy to enshrine monogamy grin
If you sweat and marry nwada Mbaise,who born you to marry another
Where will you find the money?
You people should stop returning the bride price,you need to increase it sef and add prospectus list and stop enabling polygamy
Make it harder for the man
Let them show their manhood grin
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by lagcity(m): 4:50am On Dec 31, 2013
Baby mama:

That's why the man will go on and marry two three and 4 wives in Yorubaland because all of them will return the bride price and he will keep marrying
After he has paid that money,he knows to stick to that one wife because there is no money to marry another grin
You people should stop returning the bride price,you need to increase it sef and add prospectus list and stop enabling polygamy

no amt of bride price can stop me from putting my pr$ck inside another baby mama. oh wait, there's no bride price for baby mamas grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Ndipe(m): 5:26am On Dec 31, 2013
Just as we place premium on bride price, (which signifies that the man is the provider), the oyibos place emphasis on engagement rings. Hence, there is nothing wrong with collecting bride price.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 5:48am On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

people like u are already cursed before u wia born. i dont need to curse u out some more cos d generational curse following u is already messing up ur life if u have one. if u love God u will love ur neighbour except the devil taken absolute control of ur life dats y u cant prosper and ure out here takin out ur frustration on a particular tribe. ur parents failed in ur upbringing. u shld b ashamed of urself. disgustin creature
u are not cursing me o,u are referring to d unfortunate fellow that should be killed for bringing useless human beings like u to d world u son of a b.iatch.if u ave nothing to say,why dont u go in front of a trailer and die like d animal u are.who jah don bless no man can curse not even curse.d animals like u who is already doomed for failure for d rest of miserable forked up life. remaining of ur cursing is for u and d unfortunate fellows who are associated with u b@st@rd.a55wipe
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Burger01(m): 6:14am On Dec 31, 2013
Please do the 'Igbokwes' return bride price?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by deltateam: 6:24am On Dec 31, 2013
Omooba77: Most of the wedding I have attended in Yoruba land; including mine, why do wife's family return the bride price saying they are not selling their daughter. Is it right?

So she can leave your house whenever she gets tired of you!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 6:31am On Dec 31, 2013
aryzgreat: In igbo culture, returning bride price means marruage annulment. If u think collecting bride price means selling ur daughter as many are insinuating, then ur ladies are so cheap to be sold for 1000 naira. Do u also return d rice u ate? D items d groom brought? Bride price is symbolic and is returned when marriage hits d rock.

My town bride price is 1500, if u call dat selling of daughter then u r a wretched and poor creature.

Gbam!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by mfm04622: 6:52am On Dec 31, 2013
funnyx: Retuning the bride price to the groom or groom's family is not a Yoruba culture, it's an individual decision.
Since it is widespread, it has become Yoruba culture. Remember that culture is not static, it changes with time. However, mine was handed over to my wife, that is following Islamic culture not Yoruba
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by unmask: 6:59am On Dec 31, 2013
iconize:
You're lady so stop being uncouth.
chauvinist....... So because she is a lady, she mustn't have a say?......

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by unmask: 7:04am On Dec 31, 2013
aryzgreat:

Oh! Shut it! Wot is d fraction of d bride price to d owambe party d groom throws? U guys are hypocrite! Bride price of 1000 compared to 1million naira owambe.
all yoruba weddings I have attended the groom and brides family jointly take care of entertainment.......

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by unmask: 7:10am On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

and you think you aren't cursed..... Not even the church can help you out....... Just wait till your pastor tells your kids that "there is nothing we can do, ask your father"
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by segunrot(f): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2013
Returning the Bride price to me is not too cool. It's like one is not believing God for a smooth marriage. Faith should be attached to it. My wife's family sowed mine in the Church rather than returning it.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Xion: 7:56am On Dec 31, 2013
striker9: Don't derail the thread with tribal utterances.

With the volatile nature of NL when it comes to tribal issues, you should know that the best you can get of this post is nothing but tribal rantings,
Issues with no tribal affiliations get tribalised on NL.

I feel the disintegration of Nigeria may not be geographical as expected by many, it's little things like this that shows the broken nation.

Please let's watch our opinions as concerning tribal disparity, we don't want to share the same story with what happened in Rwanda years back.

Anyone can return the bride price of his daughter, if He wishes. It's not a tribal thing.

Whether biblical or not, I don't know, but I know it's not all your marriage customs are.

Let's go easy on the biblical aspect too
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by pickabeau1: 8:31am On Dec 31, 2013
weird way of looking at uit... anoda man's sin cheesy cheesy

Toks2008: Bride price according to the bible must not be more than 50sheckels of silver which is about 15usd in today's monetary term. This is a punishment for molestation and there is no where in the entire bible where we are instructed to pay MONATARY bride price if molestation is not involved.

The only normal bride price that came from Abraham to Rebekah was in gift items and not money in any form.

furthermore,bride price are to be paid on virgins alone by the man who defiles them.Deuteronomy 22:28-29 states that "If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered,then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

The issue of collecting a stipulated amount of money nowadays is not biblical and its borne out of greed.

But for the fact that most men of nowadays are guilty of violating a lady at one time or the other in our lives, i would suggest that any lady that is not a virgin must not even have any form of bride price paid so i guess we all are paying for another man's sins.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 9:00am On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: u are not cursing me o,u are referring to d unfortunate fellow that should be killed for bringing useless human beings like u to d world u son of a b.iatch.if u ave nothing to say,why dont u go in front of a trailer and die like d animal u are.who jah don bless no man can curse not even curse.d animals like u who is already doomed for failure for d rest of miserable forked up life. remaining of ur cursing is for u and d unfortunate fellows who are associated with u b@st@rd.a55wipe

doesnt change the fact dat ur father failed in life.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by fumisko(f): 9:06am On Dec 31, 2013
Please like how much do Igbo people collect as bride price? Because my igbo friend was saying that because her dad is a christain, her own would be like 750000 naira. Is it usually more? That's suicidal. Where wil he get such money....poor groom. For Yorubas in my place, the money is given to the couple or better still back to the husband(groom) and he is told to take care of their daughter with the money. Yoruba bride price in my place is about 5000-10000 naira
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 9:12am On Dec 31, 2013
Baby mama:

You should know polygamy is common among the yoruba muslim although some few Christians practise it too. By the way, what if Adenuga's son marries the most expensive mbaise girl from your village? Does that stop him from taking another wife? He could in fact marry all he mbaise girls in your village with your ludicrous bride price. Your reasoning is laughable! So its bride price that keeps a marriage in your culture? Well its your culture, I won't judge you.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 9:16am On Dec 31, 2013
unmask: all yoruba weddings I have attended the groom and brides family jointly take care of entertainment.......

Pls tell them ooo. They know nothing and yet choose to be ignorant.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by rckdude: 9:23am On Dec 31, 2013
segunrot: Returning the Bride price to me is not too cool. It's like one is not believing God for a smooth marriage. Faith should be attached to it. My wife's family sowed mine in the Church rather than returning it.

Why should you enter a marriage contract believing that it is doomed from the onset? When they return it, they do it by explaining why they had to.

You can also get creative by sowing yours in the church, or just spend it on your new bride.
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Sike(m): 9:26am On Dec 31, 2013
Chaleeee: If I hear say Igbo man return the money!!!!!! Yorubas do not sell their children unlike the igbos. From Yoruba weddings I have witnessed, the average bride price is around N10,000 coupled with yam, fruits and other little things.

My Igbo neighbor has 5 girls and he's always saying he's sending them to sch so that he can use their bride price to buy land and build a new house. The price range can be ridiculous at times.... so families even ask for cars and landed properties in choice areas. Marriage shd be a thing of joy, not a money making avenue
STOPIIIIT !
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 9:39am On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

doesnt change the fact dat ur father failed in life.
pls tell dat to d mad woman who gave birth to u,she should be stoned to death cos u are waste,a waste of space and a waste to d human race.i wonder where dey get sub-humans like urself.it is not my fault your miserable parents did not care for u.take heart and stop being miserable
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 11:29am On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: pls tell dat to d mad woman who gave birth to u,she should be stoned to death cos u are waste,a waste of space and a waste to d human race.i wonder where dey get sub-humans like urself.it is not my fault your miserable parents did not care for u.take heart and stop being miserable

look at all ur post on nairaland. ur always trying to proove something. dyu hav frnds? are u loved at home? dyu really hv a man in ur life? dyu hav a purpose other tribal war on nairaland? i mean, how can u b so pathetic? who did dis to u? is this wat u intend to pass to ur children?
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by laykhorn(m): 11:36am On Dec 31, 2013
Omooba77:

We need to respect other people's culture...No abuse please
Like in India,the bride's family even pay the bride price to the groom..........
The Indian Government abolished it in 1961 but till date, they still practice that babaric thing
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 12:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
souljahman:

look at all ur post on nairaland. ur always trying to proove something. dyu hav frnds? are u loved at home? dyu really hv a man in ur life? dyu hav a purpose other tribal war on nairaland? i mean, how can u b so pathetic? who did dis to u? is this wat u intend to pass to ur children?
u are yarning dust,go and tell that to d dogs. I dont give phuck wat u think.how is it ur business what i do on nl,why are reading what i post on ni.are u dat miserable?nawa for pple like u.mind ur phucking business and face ur front.u are just a lowlife and an attention seeker that u care so much about what other people do on nl.adete olori ike
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
^^ Stop ranting and reflect on those deep, soul searching questions he asked you. You need love, more importantly you need Jesus.

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 1:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
Phoenix619: ^^ Stop ranting and reflect on those deep, soul searching questions he asked you. You need love, more importantly you need Jesus.

grin grin
pls direct ur useless questions to d mofo who started d cursing,he needs it more for his lonely life.yeye person
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: pls direct ur useless questions to d mofo who started d cursing,he needs it more for his lonely life.yeye person
1) I didn't ask you any questions
2) He asked questions not cursing you.

You sound too confused and cranky. Maybe you need to get laid more than anything else before 2013 runs out

sad

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by ChristyG(f): 2:29pm On Dec 31, 2013
Phoenix619:
1) I didn't ask you any questions
2) He asked questions not cursing you.

You sound too confused and cranky. Maybe you need to get laid more than anything else before 2013 runs out

sad
direct ur question to him mofo.u can as go and get laid with him since u both have d same way of thinking.buzz off!
Re: Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? by souljahman: 4:23pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: u are yarning dust,go and tell that to d dogs. I dont give phuck wat u think.how is it ur business what i do on nl,why are reading what i post on ni.are u dat miserable?nawa for pple like u.mind ur phucking business and face ur front.u are just a lowlife and an attention seeker that u care so much about what other people do on nl.adete olori ike

well i check peoples profile before i reply on nairaland so i know wat im dealing with. weda na human or animal. rational or irrational and clearly u tilt more on d baboon side. u need love maybe chocolate or bananas i dnt knw yet but maybe a bunch of bananas tho.......lwkmd....no dey curse me i neva curse u yet....lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is There Any Danger In Sleeping With A Widow When Her Hubby Has Not Been Buried? / Alaafin Of Oyo Welcomes Baby Boy With Bolanle / Atayese Oba Ogunlana Wedding: IFA African Traditional Religion Style (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.