Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Getting Married To Your Age mate - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Getting Married To Your Age mate (70271 Views)

He Raped Me, Now Getting Married To My Best Friend... / I'm Having Doubts About Getting Married Next Month / Photos: The Girl Who Got Married To A Portrait Finally Replied Linda Ikeji (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 3:27pm On Dec 28, 2013
I decided to post this in family section because I know there are a lot of people with mature minds and experiences especially married folks.

I recently came across an old schoolmate in primary school whom I had a crush on then. I was such a good boy then so wasn't into all that. Few months ago, we started communicating. She is in another state working. Since then we have gotten so close.

She came down to the town I stay enroute her village and we spent a few days together. We realised we are in love with each other. When she left, I felt an emptiness and she too has been missing me.

I'm in my early 30's and ready for marriage. I will love to marry her but my only problem is that she is my age mate.

Please, is there any problem in getting married to your age mate?

Some people feel its not right because
1) She may not be loyal and submissive
2) By the time she drops two kids, she will look quite older than me

I haven't told her anything about marriage. Would want to clear some grounds first and then take some months to know her more before letting my intentions known fully well.

Please, what do you feel about this? I need mature advice on this. I'm at crossroads now and will appreciate your input.

Thanks

6 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by lomaxx: 3:44pm On Dec 28, 2013
There's no issue settling down with your age-mate, other factors being constant.

Once you begin to go romantic on a lady, even if she's 10 years your junior, she don dey see you like age-mate. angry

If you love her, wife her. cool

246 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Ennyhollar(f): 3:52pm On Dec 28, 2013
There is noting bad on it, but wat is there is that u should not let her now ur really age, So she can give more respect to ur siblings.

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by ilibrarian(m): 4:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
Don't make that mistake. My reasons;
- She is more experienced than you are in every area
- She will look like your mother after giving birth.

10 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 4:38pm On Dec 28, 2013
lomaxx: There's no issue settling down with your age-mate, other factors being constant.

Once you begin to go romantic on a lady, even if she's 10 years your junior, she don dey see you like age-mate. angry

If you love her, wife her. cool

True. Thanks

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 4:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
Ennyhollar: There is noting bad on it, but wat is there is that u should not let her now ur really age, So she can give more respect to ur siblings.

I guess she is aware because we were classmates then in primary school.

6 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 4:42pm On Dec 28, 2013
ilibrarian:

My fears

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Nobody: 4:52pm On Dec 28, 2013
Marry a woman that you love and understand,she is just your age mate not older . A 20yrs old bride can look older than you if she doesn't have good genes.Some 35yrs old married women,look better than 22yrs old single virgins,don't forget that.

87 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Vallotti: 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2013
As a female. . . I HAVE NEVER MET ANY MALE MY AGE MATE THAT IS AS A DEVELOPMENTAL/COGNITIVE EQUAL.
They tend to act 10 or 20 YEARS IN THE DEFICIENCY column emotionally and spirtually-speaking. To put it directly. . . THEY ACT LIKE IJJJIOTS! kiss

As I get older. . . THE GAP WIDENS. . . .
Sooooooooooooooooo I would have to say NO!
It would not work for me. I NEED A 10 YEAR GAP!!!! So, I CAN HAVE SOME TIME AND PATIENCE WITH HIS AZZZZZZZZZZZE THAT REFUSES TO GROW UP!!!kiss

I need a man. . . not a boy! kiss

SHE WILL OUTGROW YOU IN ABOUT 5 YEARS. . . .AND LOOK LIKE YOUR MOTHER IF SHE AGES LIKE MOST NIGERIAN OR NAIRALAND WOMEN!!!! grin

Age does not usually correlate with maturity. . . BUT IN MY DEALINGS WITH NIGERIAN MAN. . . .

THE BIGGER THE SHOE SIZE. . . THE SMALLER THE BRAIN! kiss

OP. . . goodluck! kiss

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2013
Destiny27:

My fears

What about developing a healthy and active lifestyle together? Instead of all this irritating fear mongering?

24 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 5:06pm On Dec 28, 2013
byvan: Marry a woman that you love and understand,she is just your age mate not older . A 20yrs old bride can look older than you if she doesn't have good genes.Some 35yrs old married women,look better than 22yrs old single virgins,don't forget that.
OK. Thanks
Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2013
ileobatojo:

What about developing a healthy and active lifestyle together? Instead of all this irritating fear mongering?

OK but you can be more polite. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Temismith(f): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2013
If u guys love urself, den y not. All d best man!

3 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Chillis: 5:17pm On Dec 28, 2013
OP, I can't believe you are 30 undecided
Pls, don't marry this woman. Go for a younger girl. You still have growing up to do.

14 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
Destiny27:

OK but you can be more polite. Thanks

Yes, but it wasn't polite of you to say she will start to look like your mother after childbirth either.

14 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by dayokanu(m): 5:18pm On Dec 28, 2013
You know Lola Omotayo is like 5yrs older than P Square and she don get pikin

Does she look like his mom?

114 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 5:24pm On Dec 28, 2013
Chillis: OP, I can't believe you are 30 undecided
Pls, don't marry this woman. Go for a younger girl. You still have growing up to do.

Still trying to get your point. Anyway thanks

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Destiny27(m): 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
dayokanu: You know Lola Omotayo is like 5yrs older than P Square and she don get pikin

Does she look like his mom?

Lol. I get. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by kelly27(m): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2013
i will appreciate more opinions.
Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Bograd83(f): 8:47pm On Dec 28, 2013
kelly27: i will appreciate more opinions.
there's noting wrong 4 u guys 2 marry besides bn classmate doesnt means u're of same age. It also depends on stature, uwc a woman of 35yrs looks like 25yr
Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Olugbenger(m): 8:56pm On Dec 28, 2013
kelly27: i will appreciate more opinions.

Go ahead wink
Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 28, 2013
@OP, It depends on her body structure. If she has a petite or smallish stature, then it'll never be obvious that she is older. If not, you may want to reconsider.

4 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by usermane(m): 10:08pm On Dec 28, 2013
When it comes to this issue of LOVE, am kind of new, but atleast i can contribute for fellow 's benefit.

To fall for an age-mate, you must be the type of guy who apart from love and support, want nothing else from a partner. You don't expect a wife of your age to worship you or submit to you like a wife of ten years younger. Mutual respect for each other is the ideal requirement for both partners. Once you desire nothing more than love, commitment and appreciation from her and she is willing to deliver, you 'll be fine. Just endeavor to reciprocate too.

On the darker side, if you desire a malleable or submissive wife who will shut up and let you be the dictator like most traditional men, then stay away from her Mr. OP. It is clear you two are incompatible, as i believe only a lady who want a modern, tolerant and negotiating partner will marry her age-mate.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Chinwem(f): 8:58am On Dec 29, 2013
If a thread had to be opened to debate her age and 'marriageability'......(lol, if that's a word)
Then maybe you should just leave her for a real another man
A man who sees what he wants and goes for it

Love conquers all doesn't mean anything again
I think it should be 'age conquers all' or 'money conquers all' in Naija

11 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by ireneidiva(f): 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
It depends on the lady. Is she humble and polite? How does she talk to you? Does she listen to you? About looking older after childbirth, does she have a healthy lifestyle of working out and eating right? Does she wear neat clothes? Is her hair always untidy? Your answers to these will help you.

8 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by ifyalways(f): 3:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
I would rather marry my mate as opposed to one 6 or more years older than me.

Personal choice.

14 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Janeify(f): 3:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
ilibrarian: Don't make that mistake. My reasons;
- She is more experienced than you are in every area
..sorry 2 say u are lieing.she will only get old if she's not taken good care of.@o.p.i think the final decision is yours.have seen couples that are sweet n the woman is older and 4 yourfears 'better soup na money kill am'take care of her and u will see changes

5 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by LewsTherin: 5:54pm On Dec 29, 2013
Shame what people consider priority criteria for something as important as marriage.

Compatibility? Unimportant
Love (or at least affection)? Don't care
Good behaviour (ehh...)
My agemate will not respect me as a MAN- MOST IMPORTANT!

Pity

Age does not breed respect. Age does not create or remove respect. Respect is EARNED. Have you earned her respect? Is she of good enough character to behave respectfully? These are the questions you should ask. If you think she will not respect you because you are age mates, I fear you do not behave in a way to earn her respect. Except of course she is a b!tch, then 20 years age difference will make no nevermind.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by GHANAOGA: 7:09pm On Dec 29, 2013
Age shouldn't be a factor!!

1 Like

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by imperiouxx(m): 7:11pm On Dec 29, 2013

Love: strong, stronger, strongest, stro......

Bros! Age is just a number (quantifiable), strong love tends to infinity (non quantifiable).

A study found that marrying your best friend eliminates the risk of divorce by over 70%. These marriages are more likely to last a lifetime.
Source: online

9 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by Nobody: 7:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
@Thread Maker, be careful with the kind of advice you receive here, as less attention is placed on other qualities that make a good relationship. People like preaching about how age is just a number and what matters is only love. Folks, love is just the starting point, there are other things to put into consideration. Does she even has your type of mindset towards this kind of relationship? I have a question for you - do you love her enough to stay with her after 25years with no child? You see, you are in the best position to decide if she suits your definition of a good wife.

2 Likes

Re: Getting Married To Your Age mate by venorite(m): 7:12pm On Dec 29, 2013
My sis is currently married to someone she is older than with some days and they love and respect each other.am currently falling for someone that is few months older than me and I intend marrying her all things being equal. Matters most in relationship is understanding,love and care.you are going to live with her in ur house and not with people.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Regretting My Marriage. / I Refused My Husband From Sleeping With Me. See Why? / Pretty Annateshia Omotolani And Her Long Hair In New Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.