Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,583 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 PM

Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (25491 Views)

7 Important Things You Should Consider Before Buying A Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by donblade85: 9:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
True talk
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 02, 2014
following...!

@op. Get LENOVO
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Raypawer(m): 9:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
to seun prescription z ok.

i don't think its the brand name that matters....
be it dell, hp, lenovo, acer, Toshiba etc they will still get faulty if not properly handled things you should look out for are

1) The processor speed.. core I3, I5 or higher
2) The Ram size... at least 4gb z ok but u can aspire for smtin higher
3) The Display... @ least 720 pixel resolution or higher
4) Good battery life
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by daveemuobo(m): 9:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
from experience, the Lenovo ThinkPads are splendid: Battery life, durability and performance.I'll tag them the alienwares' of businessmen.they are expensive though.

imho, Asus is the perfect balance between durability and performance.my best.

I use a Asus k53e i7 quad,6gb, Intel 3000+Nvidia gt540.640gb bought 2yrs ago.bought same for my friends too.never failed us.
codeblocks,NetBeans ide,mysql+apache,visual studio 2010, all work effortlessly.

btw, I think a amd a8 processor would do your job perfectly for your price.

reliable on-line reviews also tags hp as one of the least reliable brands too.no hating here,I happen to buy all brands for customers.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Salmoneus(m): 10:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
Most of the comments here are helpful but from experience I must say DON'T BUY HP LAPTOPS!!!! ANYTHING BUT HP!!!
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by onyeogalu1(m): 10:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
Thanks guys am learning
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
costly but reliable
Sony Vaio.....u cant go wrong
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by theophorus(m): 10:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
Sony vaio, Lenovo or Dell..........Any of these product is good.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ice234: 10:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
OPs please never buy HP... I bot mine and it clashed after 3 months. Then I when to HP service center and was told HP warrant didn't cover Nigerian sales. I had DM4.

Please. Go for anything that isn't HP.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by WhoDeyThere(m): 10:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
Okija_juju:

I have used 3 HP Laptops in my life... Worst experience ever.

The first one I smashed after it kept crashing every 2 days..

The second one was the variant that had the finger print scanners et. al.. That one packed up in under one year and even HP Nigeria that sold me the darn thing couldn't help me out..

The third one I dashed out for similar reasons..

I would recommend a Dell anyday..

Just got a new 17.5inch Toshiba.. So far, so good.

HP is good for Desktops, but their laptops, I will never recommend to anyone..
just because u were unlucky with urs dos Ω̴̩̩̩̥Ơ̴̴͡τ underscore d fact dat HP command respect in laptop world bro.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by showietee: 10:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
@ okija juju- you're right about hp, hp lappy that has same spec wit other brand is alway more expensive. One of the reasons Pple go for hp is cos of the availability of parts, but right now there are beta brands in market wit alot of parts available. One needs not to follow the crowd, honestly speaking, av seen beta. Dell inspiron,toshiba sat,lenovo are some classes that have seen doin wonders.
All the best.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by cbrass(m): 10:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
Like seriously You want to learn JAVA,PhYTON and PHP all at once? May I ask how many years do you wish to stay at home
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by MoyoGENERAL: 10:58pm On Jan 02, 2014
Do you know running programs involving programmings consume powercharges alot!..hp wont afford you that battery life to maximally enjoy your stuffs..the best Deal is TOSHIBA!..Imagine a laptop on for 10hours or more!..you can make your research about laptop brands and battery life n you'll dinstinguish the Batterypower strenght of the TOSHIBA...its your choice man!
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by miolad20(m): 11:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
cbrass: Like seriously You want to learn JAVA,PhYTON and PHP all at once? May I ask how many years do you wish to stay at home
I guess he's gonna continue the learning even after gaining admission into university (He mentioned CSC in his post). Good question tho.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by jelel6: 11:05pm On Jan 02, 2014
the issue of brand durability is subjective. Nevertheless, i would personally recommend a TOSHIBA.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by dljbd1(m): 11:16pm On Jan 02, 2014
You asked for DELL product? Check out DELL N4050:
500gb/4gbram/i3/1gb dedicated graphics
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by PaypalGod(m): 11:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
Get an AlienWare Laptop!!!
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by moshoodn(m): 11:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
Get any Lenovo ThinkPad and thank me later. ...

Though they may not be as flashy as the HPs, but way over efficient, rugged, durable, extended battery life. ...

Pls, never buy an HP unless you just want a flashy and sexy feel of a laptop . .....

Talking from experience!
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by ACM10: 11:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
Rocking my TOSHIBA lappy

HD - 500G

RAM - 6G

Windows 8

Battery life - 4hrs

It can't get any better.

WARNING - Avoid HP like leper.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jan 02, 2014
Don't buy HP buy Dell that has the above specs. Mentioned buy the gentle man. But if you want to buy HP don't ever in your life buy g6 it's an aweful laptop to use. When you first buy it the battery will be 4h and 45min remaining but after 6 month 2 hrs remaning or even 1h40min and after one year one of the speakers will suddenly die, hence my experience with g6. Note: you must get a laptop with INTEL PROCESSOR don't make the mistake of buying an AMD system. So i think Dell is what you should go for to avoid wahala. Or better still you can go for samsung with up to 6hrs battery life which is what i use (samsung sense series) but expensive thoughI hope this helps. That's what i use HDD=500gb, RAM=6gb, PROCESSOR SPEED(frequency)= 2.4GHz x4 i.e quad core and an INTEL GRAPHICS card embeded.

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Promxy94(m): 12:02am On Jan 03, 2014
I will recommend dell anyday,I gat my dell inspirion N5030(4gb ram, and 500hdd) back then in 2011,when I was doing my mcitp program in Niit, till today it still rocks with it glossy and scratch resistant surface, before I forget pls dunt go for Hp 2000 my sis got one this summer,and she has already dashed it out due to bad keypad..... My dell rocks
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by cbrass(m): 12:05am On Jan 03, 2014
Ibigo: Don't buy HP buy Dell that has the above specs. Mentioned buy the gentle man. But if you want to buy HP don't ever in your life buy g6 it's an aweful laptop to use. When you first buy it the battery will be 4h and 45min remaining but after 6 month 2 hrs remaning or even 1h40min and after one year one of the speakers will suddenly die, hence my experience with g6. Note: you must get a laptop with INTEL PROCESSOR don't make the mistake of buying an AMD system. So i think Dell is what you should go for to avoid wahala. Or better still you can go for samsung with up to 6hrs battery life which is what i use (samsung sense series) but expensive thoughI hope this helps

In as much as I like most of your comments I think I will not agree with you on the processors. As far as am concerned AMD processors are durable and strong its just that they are not good for our climate here, but if the Op lives in an air conditioned room, he will enjoy AMD laptops
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Nobody: 12:16am On Jan 03, 2014
cbrass:

In as much as I like most of your comments I think I will not agree with you on the processors. As far as am concerned AMD processors are durable and strong its just that they are not good for our climate here, but if the Op lives in an air conditioned room, he will enjoy AMD laptops

yeah you're right but we buy laptops for the worst (adverse) case senario. Obviously he would be taking the laptop to school except he has an Air conditioner in his room
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Mickyboiz: 12:19am On Jan 03, 2014
Hp 15j009wm touchsmart rocks d beast of dem all my bro sent ds to me since last yr dats wat am using ntin apen to it, i gt brand new1 4sale stil inside carton even u cnt c ds laptop at ikeja
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by Samueloladapo(m): 12:28am On Jan 03, 2014
bro. like they have all said, its about what you want and how much you can afford. I use a dell inspirion n5110.
intel core i3 2310m 2.1ghz
8gb ram
500gb hdd.
intel 3000 graphics + nvidia 525m.
its smooth and sleek, came with window 7. i installed windows 8 and my battery rock 3hr 30mins plus. and I do everything. my ides. adobe collections runs effortless.
hp. hell no. got the name and not the power. but most especially check out the graphics. my sys has 4gb dedicated video graphic memory. nvidia

1 Like

Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by xtremrules(m): 12:29am On Jan 03, 2014
ACM10: Rocking my TOSHIBA lappy

HD - 500G

RAM - 6G

Windows 8

Battery life - 4hrs

It can't get any better.

WARNING - Avoid HP like leper.
I wish to know how much you bought the system. here in aba I didn't have much option. had to buy a HP. every other brand I saw where below my specification.
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by xtremrules(m): 12:31am On Jan 03, 2014
Samueloladapo: bro. like they have all said, its about what you want and how much you can afford. I use a dell inspirion n5110.
intel core i3 2310m 2.1ghz
8gb ram
500gb hdd.
intel 3000 graphics + nvidia 525m.
its smooth and sleek, came with window 7. i installed windows 8 and my battery rock 3hr 30mins plus. and I do everything. my ides. adobe collections runs effortless.
hp. hell no. got the name and not the power. but most especially check out the graphics. my sys has 4gb dedicated video graphic memory. nvidia
how much did u bought the system?
Re: Major Things To Consider Before Buying A Laptop by cbrass(m): 12:34am On Jan 03, 2014
Ibigo:

Obviously he would be taking the laptop to school except he has an Air conditioner in his room

Yea...but that's not likely...well that's only if is father is a serving senator of Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Case studies : It Is Not Always The Power Ic / Help! What Could Be Wrong With My Computer? / Boluwatife Aiki-Raji Appointed By Twitter As Lead Software Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.