Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:17 AM

Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? (7954 Views)

Excitement In Borno As Troops Reclaim Gudumbari / If We Are To Reclaim The Future… / Is It Possible For Pdp To Reclaim The South West In 2015? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:50am On Dec 29, 2013
Mzsolex: who care's 'bout the language spoken, what am saying is Kwara is a nothern state. answer this question, why is the title of your king referred 2 as 'Emir' and not 'Oba' and 'shue' instead of 'kabiyesi' just like other yoruba lands. Ilorin particularly is sold-out, igbominans and other towns are still better.
The Emir of Ilorin is referred because he is Fulani not because Kwara State is in the north. In Kogi State that is also in the north, the traditional ruler of Kabba is referred to as an oba. He is Oba Michael Olobayo, Obarero of Kabba. He wears a beaded crown just like any Yoruba king in the SW.

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by owobokiri(m): 5:56am On Dec 29, 2013
Point of correction; kwara is not kogi...While there are yorubas in kogi, kwara is MAINLY Yoruba. The difference is huge. Try another excuse..

Orlando Owoh:
Kwara and Kogi states, though have Yoruba in them, are northern states based on modern political arrangement. Ethnically the are Yoruba, and see the Yoruba in the SW as being more closer to them than the northers.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:00am On Dec 29, 2013
owobokiri: Explain to us why kwara state attends the northern governors forum.. Why is kwara, a yoruba dominated state firmly part of the 17 northern states group why do they attend ACF meetings and not Afenifere gatherings? A governor called himself a dan fodion scion irrespective of the yoruba names. put bluntly; kwara is a firm fulani conqured territory. You can have a million yorubas in government but it will always be the fulani boy that wiill be in power. It is called INDIRECT RULE! Thats right, the minority fulani is playing Lord Lugard on you in this age and you are too cowardly dense to even notice.

Owobokiri, you may be foölish without knowing it. The governors of Kogi and Kwara states attend Northern Governors' Forum meeting because the states have been geographically made part of the north by the Richard Constitution of 1946. Ilorin, Igbomina, Okun, and other Yoruba groups in both states pre-date Nigeria as a country.
You need to learn geography, history and government. It will help you.

4 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:06am On Dec 29, 2013
owobokiri: Point of correction; kwara is not kogi...While there are yorubas in kogi, kwara is MAINLY Yoruba. The difference is huge. Try another excuse..

You are confused. You said, "while there are Yorubas (sic) in Kogi, Kwara is mainly Yoruba." Both states have similarity because they are, just like Rivers and Delta states, made up of different ethnic groups. Our concern are Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by eggheaders(m): 6:15am On Dec 29, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
You are confused. You said, "while there are Yorubas (sic) in Kogi, Kwara is mainly Yoruba." Both states have similarity because they are, just like Rivers and Delta states, made up of different ethnic groups. Our concern are Yoruba.

Please educate the markate boy ooo. Going to school and seeking knowledge is not something important for him and his tribesmen.

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by collynzo2(m): 6:21am On Dec 29, 2013
KIRIJI: I pray Nigeria disintegrates. You havent answered my question; Mention the name of one fulani political holder in Kwara state, mention one area in the whole Kwara state where the fulbe language is spoken. Even at the palace at ilorin, yoruba is the language spoken
They are all Fulanis irrespective of their Yoruba names. None of them can publicly declare that they are Yorubas in order not to annoy their Fulani masters who put them there to defend their interest.
May be you need to revisit this quote by former governor Saraki.
"I am Abubakar Olusola Saraki, but that has not made me a Yoruba man. I speak Yoruba because it is my mother's tongue"wink

4 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by eggheaders(m): 6:25am On Dec 29, 2013
collynzo2:
They are all Fulanis irrespective of their Yoruba names. None of them can publicly declare that they are Yorubas in order not to annoy their Fulani masters who put them there to defend their interest.
("I am Abubakar Olusola Saraki, but that has not made me a Yoruba man. I speak Yoruba because it is my mother's tongue"wink

Who gives a fuxk about what you think. Fulanis don't dare fuxk with us ask their kinsmen in Oyo, Oke Ogun and Ilorin to ogbomoso axis. We whip their a$$es whenever they mess with us. Illiterate try use Google and search for the battle of osogbo to cure your stupidity.

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by owobokiri(m): 6:26am On Dec 29, 2013
If there was no emir of ilorin,and ofcourse a large fulani population in kwara there wouldnt have been any historical foundation to make a yoruba enclave like kwara become part of the caliphate. You cant disown your brethrens so quickly. What is going on in ilorin cant happen to any other major ethnic group in Nigeria. That is the ultimate legacy of Afonja politics which the likes of Akintola, Awo, OBJ and now Tinubu seem to overlook. keep striking those deals with a territorialy ambitious fulani. Like i always say, we will see where it will get you.

Orlando Owoh:
Owobokiri, you may be foölish without knowing it. The governors of Kogi and Kwara states attend Northern Governors' Forum meeting because the states have been geographically made part of the north by the Richard Constitution of 1946. Ilorin, Igbomina, Okun, and other Yoruba groups in both states pre-date Nigeria as a country.
You need to learn geography, history and government. It will help you.

5 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 29, 2013
The question is why are Yorubas letting the result of the treachery of Afonja stand after all these years. Why are they comfortable with the status quo. By the way I still think Yorubas are one of the most culturally advance ethnic group on this planet so this if or me isn't Yoruba bashing.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by egbaguy: 7:55am On Dec 29, 2013
i sincerely want to ask,why do omo yibbos av Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:03am On Dec 29, 2013
owobokiri: If there was no emir of ilorin,and ofcourse a large fulani population in kwara there wouldnt have been any historical foundation to make a yoruba enclave like kwara become part of the caliphate. You cant disown your brethrens so quickly. What is going on in ilorin cant happen to any other major ethnic group in Nigeria. That is the ultimate legacy of Afonja politics which the likes of Akintola, Awo, OBJ and now Tinubu seem to overlook. keep striking those deals with a territorialy ambitious fulani. Like i always say, we will see where it will get you.

The Fulani people succeeded because Afonja had forcefully proclaimed the independence of Ilorin, thereby denying himself assistance he could have received from the other Yoruba groups, especially Ibadan. Ibadan soldiers resisted and defeated the Fulani in Osogbo who tried to take their campaign southwards.

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 29, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
The Emir of Ilorin is referred because he is Fulani not because Kwara State is in the north. In Kogi State that is also in the north, the traditional ruler of Kabba is referred to as an oba. He is Oba Michael Olobayo, Obarero of Kabba. He wears a beaded crown just like any Yoruba king in the SW.
Get ur facts right, Kogi state is not a nothern state.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 29, 2013
KIRIJI: . But saying Ilorin is under fulani occupation is utterly disingenious, its just like saying Lagos is under benin occupation just because the royal stool of Lagos has historical ties with the benin monarchy.

Benin kingdom established Lagos as a war camp and named it Eko when it was sparsely populated and did not depose any ruling monarch as there were none. Ilorin is different. Why won't Yorubas revisit that Fulani victory?
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by lagcity(m): 8:44am On Dec 29, 2013
collynzo2:
"I am Abubakar Olusola Saraki, but that has not made me a Yoruba man. I speak Yoruba because it is my mother's tongue"wink

Abubakar Olusola Saraki was never governor of Kwara State.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by lagcity(m): 9:01am On Dec 29, 2013
Ilorin does not equal Kwara

Ilorin has an Emir, Kwara does not.

The Yoruba in Ilorin never lost their throne to anyone. They became muslims, abolished Yoruba "idol" worship and fought alongside Fulanis, Nupes and Kanuris to have their city under an emir, not a "pagan" Oba. For mischievous folks here to advocate a reclamation of Ilorin throne means that the majority of Yoruba people will have to sit down and decide that Ilorin Yoruba are to dumb to pick their own monarch. This is absurd! How do you even impose an Oba that no one wants? For foreign imposition to work, you need at least 50% of the Yorubas in Ilorin to support this.

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 29, 2013
lagcity: Ilorin does not equal Kwara

Ilorin has an Emir, Kwara does not.

The Yoruba in Ilorin never lost their throne to anyone. They became muslims, abolished Yoruba "idol" worship and fought alongside Fulanis, Nupes and Kanuris to have their city under an emir, not a "pagan" Oba. For mischievous folks here to advocate a reclamation of Ilorin throne means that the majority of Yoruba people will have to sit down and decide that Ilorin Yoruba are to dumb to pick their own monarch. This is absurd! How do you even impose an Oba that no one wants? For foreign imposition to work, you need at least 50% of the Yorubas in Ilorin to support this.
you must be a daft mumu to think every other Kings in the other regions of the country worship an Idol. you've never seen an 'Oba' or an 'Igwe' dat is a christian that goes to church or an 'Oba' in the yoruba land that is a pure muslim, which planet do you come from really?
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by true2god: 9:31am On Dec 29, 2013
Nigeria political 'industry' is very complex to say the least. Both Kogi and kwara state will forever be a bargaining chip for the fulani against the yorubas in the Nigerian poilical equation and business. In the event of disintegration, the yorubas will surely lose their kith and kin in kogi and kwara to the fulanis, thats fact.

So the best the yoruba can do is to support the Nigeria project (one Nigeria) so that their pple in those two states will not be alienated from their ancestral home, and this is what the yoruba leaders and policy makers have come to understand.

The genesis of this identity crisis lies on the average yoruba belief in treachery as a way of gaining undue advantage over someone, especially when it comes to politics. As we all knw, historically kwara\ilorin belongs to the yorubas, but treachery and war led to the importation of fulani mercineries to fight and the fulanis saw that as a perfect opportunity to continue their expansion towards the south hence the seizure of ilorin\kwara from the yorubas till date and the enthronment of an emirate on a yoruba soil.

It is either the yorubas accept the status quo (which they cant challenge cos they are naturally cowards) or reject it by calling for a possible referendum so that their pple can fully identify with their core yoruba brother in the south west. They can equally shift alliance to their southern brothers in the south east or south south for possible military confrontation in the event of trying to alter the status quo.

Nothing is certain in life, fortune favours the brave.

6 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 29, 2013
lagcity:

yeah but he was a godfather, and until his death the one who decides who attains the governorshp position of that state.

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by oLAAbEfe(m): 11:28am On Dec 29, 2013
Ignorant Troll On Loose

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Eziachi: 11:59am On Dec 29, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
I've live with Ikwerre people from birth, they hate being associated with Ibo.
I bet they did, I went to school in Scotland with an Austrian, he hated the Germans, but that does't mean, they are not Germans. The original point I want make is your obsesión about who is an Igbo and Who isn't, when you have your own issues with Ilorin to occupy your attention with. When the time comes, Ikwerre, Kafanchan or anyone else will have the right to be what they want to be. Ikwerre not important in any way to the progress of the Igbo nation in the past, now or in the future or will they add any sort of value to it. So stop all this your obsession with who is Igbo and who is not. Emmanuel Adebayor of Togo are Yorubas, are you worrying that they chose to be Togolese than Yorubas? So Why are you going gaga all over the choice Ikwerre may or may not make? Its because your secret love of Ndigbo, that you cannot resist seeing or hearing their name. Zip up mate.

5 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by superstar1(m): 12:16pm On Dec 29, 2013
true2god: Nigeria political 'industry' is very complex to say the least. Both Kogi and kwara state will forever be a bargaining chip for the fulani against the yorubas in the Nigerian poilical equation and business. In the event of disintegration, the yorubas will surely lose their kith and kin in kogi and kwara to the fulanis, thats fact.

So the best the yoruba can do is to support the Nigeria project (one Nigeria) so that their pple in those two states will not be alienated from their ancestral home, and this is what the yoruba leaders and policy makers have come to understand.

The genesis of this identity crisis lies on the average yoruba belief in treachery as a way of gaining undue advantage over someone, especially when it comes to politics. As we all knw, historically kwara\ilorin belongs to the yorubas, but treachery and war led to the importation of fulani mercineries to fight and the fulanis saw that as a perfect opportunity to continue their expansion towards the south hence the seizure of ilorin\kwara from the yorubas till date and the enthronment of an emirate on a yoruba soil.

It is either the yorubas accept the status quo (which they cant challenge cos they are naturally cowards) or reject it by calling for a possible referendum so that their pple can fully identify with their core yoruba brother in the south west. They can equally shift alliance to their southern brothers in the south east or south south for possible military confrontation in the event of trying to alter the status quo.

Nothing is certain in life, fortune favours the brave.

You too you are happy that you have posted something that sounded reasonable to you.

Your id1otic post is nothing but shit, from an igunnuko Igbo that is devoid of brain.

Treat your greedy nature and covetousness first, before you get back to us.

By the way, recover your father's hijacked properties and streets in PH first.

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Abbey2sam(m): 12:21pm On Dec 29, 2013
ecosanders: I don't need a prophet to tell me u are a bigotic flat head, u think everyone is like u, claiming 2 b Jews? D Ilorin ppl are a mixture of Hausa Yoruba and Fulani, so stop taking panadol for someone else headache.

Then you don't know a bit about ilorin
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by phase1: 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
This thread go vex my Yoruba friends ooo.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Eziachi: 12:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
KIRIJI: I challenge all you mischievious ignorant dolts, that claim Kwara is under fulani control, to mention one fulani political office holder in Kwara state. Even if it is a local government ward councillor. I also challenge you to mention one area in the whole Kwara state where the fulbe language is spoken.
You see how it hurt when people dare tell you that Kwara is a Fulani enclave with a strong case of citing the Emir of Ilorin. But you lot on the other hand made it a past time deciding who is Igbo and who is not as part of your breakfast menu. Junaid Mohamed made the statement earlier this year that in the event Nigeria seizes to exist, that Kwara is part of North and will remain so. How many of your so called Yoruba Kwara politicians including Lai Mohamed challenged him? Where were they when Saraki, their demi god said that having a Yoruba name does not make him one, that he is a northerner. When was the last time Kwara was controlled by a typical Yoruba's two digit alphabet political party like AG, AD, AC and even UPN?

6 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by phase1: 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
Hope this thread won't populate google servers with-

Yorubas are .....treacherous
Yorubas are......***ves

Op abeg stop.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Eziachi: 12:50pm On Dec 29, 2013
oLA AbEf€:
..so many ignorant on dis thread,i wanna let u know one thing i'm igbomina kwara we speak yoruba,amala is our favourite food,dress in yoruba attire any fulani,bororo mis behave we kill them like flies d only tinz we have incommon is religion nothing more i pray nigeria to divide even yoruba nd fulani in ilorin town fight each other every time...whenever i read comment from Igbo people nd i'll started laughing..!
Who cares, what you eat for brealfast or how you dress for your owambe parties, the hard fact remain that your traditional ruler remained a Fulani Emir with a root to the Sokoto sultanate by DNA, biological sons of Usman Dan Fodio. Like I had said in the past and someone had already pointed out, your only chance of rescue from Dan Fodio clan is through referendum, which required the total and strong support from the rest of the south, especially Ndigbo to achieve such a constitution. Devious manipulation to keep Nigeria one so that Kwara will remain in the same nation as the rest of the Oduduwa kingdom is not the way in this 21st century. The rest of the south has figured out that your look like handcuffed to one Nigeria is simply the Kwara/Kogi question.

5 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 29, 2013
Usman Faruk - former military governor of south western state.
“Eventually when the war was to start with Biafra, [Awolowo] went to Ibadan and gathered all Yorubas that they should know the war about to commence was between the North and the East, and the Yoruba in the West were not part of it,” he said.

“We received this with shock and the whole Northerners met in Kaduna and we issued them a warning that we heard they (Yoruba) were not part of it and we agreed but we have one demand,” he said.

That condition, according to him was the establishment of a One Mile Corridor. “From Offa which is in our region, from the rail line to the sea (wharf) we declare One Mile Military Corridor, meaning all of them who built houses within One Mile, we will crush down their houses. And nobody will stop our vehicles and vessels from accessing the sea, this we told our Yorubas in Ilorin to tell them. “Eventually when the war was to start with Biafra, [Awolowo] went to Ibadan and gathered all Yorubas that they should know the war about to commence was between the North and the East, and the Yoruba in the West were not part of it,” he said.

“We received this with shock and the whole Northerners met in Kaduna and we issued them a warning that we heard they (Yoruba) were not part of it and we agreed but we have one demand,” he said.

That condition, according to him was the establishment of a One Mile Corridor. “From Offa which is in our region, from the rail line to the sea (wharf) we declare One Mile Military Corridor, meaning all of them who built houses within One Mile, we will crush down their houses. And nobody will stop our vehicles and vessels from accessing the sea, this we told [size=16pt]our Yorubas [/size]in Ilorin to tell them. And from that time we never hear them. This is Military Corridor, we of the past hope our children will carry it,” warning that nobody could stop the people of the North, whom he said number 120 million, from accessing the sea.

“If he doesn’t know let Dokubo go and read history,” Faruk said. “Awolowo attempted he failed talk less of one boy.” from that time we never hear them. This is Military Corridor, we of the past hope our children will carry it,” warning that nobody could stop the people of the North, whom he said number 120 million, from accessing the sea.

Faruk said. “Awolowo attempted he failed.”

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/northern-muslim-elders-reply-asari-dokubo-go-and-read-your-history

There was no credible response from any prominent Yoruba leader to this assault.
Note- our Yoruba in Ilorin

1 Like

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by doublewisdom: 12:55pm On Dec 29, 2013
Asking our Yoruba brothers to go reclaim Kwara is akin to asking them to commit suicide infact they would prefer the later.
The importance of the oily people to Nigeria cannot be over emphasised.
We still need them around to drive us around in taxis, their girls to sell native soap and agidi to us, their semi literates to come to NL and chest beat, their obese women to make us shudder and help put our appetite in check, their agberos and conductors for easy movement in public vehicles, their girls for konji release when you can't afford beautiful clean babes, their son FFK for reference to the younger generation on why they shouldn't do drugs but most importantly to vote GEJ In 2015.

8 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by musiwa112: 12:56pm On Dec 29, 2013
some of you are dumb , the fulani dont own ilorin, yoruba own ilorin. emir is a religious title. it is not a tradition title.

2 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Eziachi: 12:59pm On Dec 29, 2013
lagcity:

Saraki felt too big to be an ordinary state governor, so he rather remain in the position of appointing the governors. Their elections are rather a democratic culture or norm that had to be fulfilled.
Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by Eziachi: 1:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
musiwa112: some of you are dumb , the fulani dont own ilorin, yoruba own ilorin. emir is a religious title. it is not a tradition title.
Teacher don't teach me nonesense. Alafin, Alake, Oni and Oba are also religious titles, Mr teacher? The last I check, the religous title in that area is the chief Imam.

4 Likes

Re: Will Or Can The Yorubas Ever Reclaim The Ilorin Throne? by egbaguy: 1:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
musiwa112: some of you are dumb , the fulani dont own ilorin, yoruba own ilorin. emir is a religious title. it is not a tradition title.
musiwa has spoken,case closed!!!!! Can musiwa please show the ignorant ones some satellite pictures to buttress d point?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gov Oyebanji: We Have Paid Over N31bn As Salaries, Gratuities, Pensions / Ministerial Nominee To Chase Out Demons In The Power Sector / Brief Profile Of Dr Okezie Ikpeazu:abia State PDP Gubernatorial Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.