Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,100 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) (13045 Views)

Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? / Is Nollywood Rivaling Black Hollywood? / Where Is Nollywood Located In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Afam4eva(m): 3:02pm On Jun 20, 2006
Why Do People Say "Nollywood Is Tribalised"

I have read people say the nollywood is tribalised, that the Igbos are in control, so they only choose Igbo actors and actresses for their movies, which I totally disagree with.

Names of non-Igbo actors and actresses:
Ramsey Nouah,
Lilian bach,
Liz Benson,
Jide Kosoko,
Ini Edo,
Carol Ekanem,
Omotola Jalade,
and many others.

So why do people still hold this view that nollywood is tribalized. Come to think, let the Yorubas start producing English movies likie the Igbos, because when they produce Yoruba films they are not giving non-Yorubas the opportunity.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 3:11pm On Jun 20, 2006
wat I have come 2 realize is dat nomatter what tribal divison will alwayz be a case in Nigeria. ignore wat u can cuz u can neav make every1 happy. if u go 4 da audition and u got hired, good 4 u,
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 3:14pm On Jun 20, 2006
wat I have come 2 realize is dat nomatter what tribal divison will alwayz be a case in Nigeria. ignore wat u can cuz u can neav make every1 happy. if u go 4 da audition and u got hired, good 4 u,

by da way, I like u name, is it AFAMDI or AFAMEFUNA
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Afam4eva(m): 3:19pm On Jun 20, 2006
My Name is Afamefuna
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2006
koool, welcome to nairaland that is if you are new tongue
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by uche1(m): 3:21pm On Jun 20, 2006
Hotstepper @
  Is that the new way of toasting boys? lol
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 3:25pm On Jun 20, 2006
my dear, I dont toast people and certainly not toasting him, has it become a crime to compliment somebodys name or even welcome him here. dawg, am generally a nice person.am not here to look for a man or something but to mingle with my fellow people, hahahaa, know you r joiking though, and by da way, I like ur own name. Is it Uchenna, Uchechukwu, Uchechi or wat, lol
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by hotangel2(f): 3:30pm On Jun 20, 2006
No it isn't. Remember That yoruba movies are part of NOLLYWOOD.

And we have soo many "non-igbo" actors and actress. Just that they are ALL FAIR IN COMPLEXIOn and people think they r igbo. cheesy
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 3:33pm On Jun 20, 2006
lol@hotangel, that is so hilarious I must say, That is the stigma I talked about. Actually inhigh school, one of ma Ghanian friends alwayz telling me about this beautiful igbo girl that acts, that she is light skinned like me etc. So when we were saying a movie at her house, she showed me and I laughed. Am like, because she is light skinned does not mean she is igbo. I told her that she is Yoruba from the WEST and imagine arguing with me, lol. am like, you can alwayz tell from the name but concluded that she might have an igbo blood in her tongue
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 3:48pm On Jun 20, 2006
I thought all movies made in Nigeria are all called Nollywood (Yoruba, English, Igbo, Hausa). So whats this Nollywood thing been attributed only to the English home videos.

To me i see them all as a product of Nollywood.

@author. Who told you yoruba's don't give non yoruba's a chance. What about these ones.

Emeka Ike
Zack Orji
Clarion chukwura
Richard Mofe Damijo
Segun Arinze
Enebeli Elebuwa (hope i got the spelling right)
Ramsey Nouah
Liz Benson.
Many more
I think i have seen Patience Ozokwor in a yoruba movie before

Author i advice you to get read your sources very well.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by exu(m): 3:54pm On Jun 20, 2006
Where is this nonsense that only Igbos are light-skinned coming from?

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 4:01pm On Jun 20, 2006
it is not nonsense, I expalined if you read it well. My dearest Ghanian friend was confused and let the truth be told, majority of igbos are light skinned thats a stigma, even in this westernworld, any lighk skinned people they see and heard they r Nigerians, they always ask them if they are igbo. am not trying to cause anything here but talking with experience and what my friend told me that made me laughed and at the same time corrected here and spiced it up by letting her know how to know what tribe someone is from which is mostly by NAME tongue
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by exu(m): 4:06pm On Jun 20, 2006
No- that is nonsense.

The people on my mother's side of the family are light skinned and they aren't Igbo.

The people on my father's side are Igbo and they aren't light-skinned.

In fact none of the (few, granted) Igbos that I know could be described as light skinned.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 4:07pm On Jun 20, 2006
Can we please get back to the subject.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Hotstepper(f): 4:09pm On Jun 20, 2006
excatly, back to the topic
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Jachoz(m): 4:28pm On Jun 20, 2006
I think mr Exu is not following the argument logically. My conclusion is that he is basically biased about igboism. From what has been said in the thread already, it is outrageous for him to draw some kind of conclusion with referrence to his tiny family. Tiny in the sense that his, can can not be compared numerically to that of the people that have already contributed in this thread.

Let me rest ma case for now.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by otokx(m): 4:52pm On Jun 20, 2006
the boys from the east control nollywood but i won't say its tribalized
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by my2cents(m): 4:57pm On Jun 20, 2006
Nollywood may not be tribalized per se, but it is very, very noticeable when for a particular movie, the majority of the actors are ibo. It could be cos:

- they are the only ones with the cash to fund movies and naturally, they put pple the know in the movies

- they are the ones who started it all and so again naturally, they go with who they know

- only until recently, perhaps only the ibos appeared to hv the talent, or wanted to delve into movies in the first place.

These are just open-ended, not-fact-tested "thinking out loud" reasons that I have and I could be wrong on every one of them.

I have noticed though that bck in the day at least, it seemed to be that only ibos were in the movies.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by babwilms(m): 5:23pm On Jun 20, 2006
I beg what is all this?
What is Nollywood itself?
Isn't it all home made movies made in Nigeria or by a Nigerian Directors including the Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa movies are know as Nollywood. Can someone please tell me its not only English movies that are regarded as products of Nollywood.

@my2cents. From what I've read and heard, the Yoruba's have been in home movies, theater long before the Nigerian English movies evolved.

To me they are all known as Nollywood.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by omogenaija(f): 5:58pm On Jun 20, 2006
Nollywood is not only igbo. I have seen thousands of yoruba movies and the yoruba actress and actors r really trying. maybe because they don't know bout yoruba movies or they arent not yoruba is the reason y they think nollwood is igbo.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by my2cents(m): 6:12pm On Jun 20, 2006
Let me rephrase myself grin

I don't speak yoruba or ibo or languages other than Ibibio, and so I don't watch those movies. I am personally referring to english movies. 99.9999% of those I have watched feature 99.999% ibo, then just for kicks (in my opinion), they throw in someone from another tribe.

Just to make it plain: I have no problem with who is in the movie. After all, in the states, 99.999% of movies feature whites. All I am after is a good movie that I can sit and watch with my family. Something to let my kids know what Nigeria is like and to look forward to. I could care less who is in it as long as they had the talent.

I just thought I was the only one who thought the way the author of this thread did. grin

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by IAH(f): 6:54pm On Jun 20, 2006
Actually there are more Yoruba movies churned out every week than any other in the whole world. How about that? cheesy cheesy

my2cents:

- they are the ones who started it all and so again naturally, they go with who they know

Ever heard of Oyin Adejobi, Fadeyi Oloro, Hubert Ogunde, Baba Sala? grin grin
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by my2cents(m): 7:03pm On Jun 20, 2006
I feel ya IAH, but I don't spk Yoruba and so will never watch those grin

Nothing against movies made in a particular language, but I can only spk for those I can watch and understand.

So if there are 1000 yoruba movies done in a week, and only 1 english movie, and in that 1 english movie, all i c is ibos, then to me, it would seem that only ibos star in movies. Obviously, other than pple like omotola whom I have read has starred in ibo movies, chances are that only yorubas will act in yoruba movies.

I think we are just beating to pulp an already dead horse here grin
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by mizkay(f): 7:57pm On Jun 20, 2006
who cares who controls nollywood sef? must everything be a 'tribal' thing in africa?
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by my2cents(m): 8:04pm On Jun 20, 2006
mizkay,

Not at all, but the fact of life is that there will always be discrimination and stereotyping, whether it is on naija levels and tribalism or oyibo levels and racism. Of course I don't advocate that one let it run their lives. Rather I am saying that it should be recognized from afar so that one can arm themselves appropriately.

As long as there are 2 groups of people - majority and minority, irrespective of endaveour, expect one group to say they are being marginalized, even if they are the ones getting the most benefits. Also, those who r in the majority will always say there is no discrimination cos they don't experience it. Something to think about there folks.

As always, my 2 cents smiley
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by mizkay(f): 8:13pm On Jun 20, 2006
my2cents:

mizkay,

Not at all, but the fact of life is that there will always be discrimination and stereotyping, whether it is on naija levels and tribalism or oyibo levels and racism. Of course I don't advocate that one let it run their lives. Rather I am saying that it should be recognized from afar so that one can arm themselves appropriately.

As long as there are 2 groups of people - majority and minority, irrespective of endaveour, expect one group to say they are being marginalized, even if they are the ones getting the most benefits. Also, those who r in the majority will always say there is no discrimination because they don't experience it. Something to think about there folks.

As always, my 2 cents smiley

, I rest my case!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jun 20, 2006
the calabar ones are almost igbo anyway

so it is igbo dominated , igbo movies thats what the yorubas call it , well over here they do.
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by hotangel2(f): 9:32pm On Jun 20, 2006
KC glad ur ass came online. Damn girl u mean. Yahoo im? WE NEED TO TALKA!
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by ababoy1(m): 10:08pm On Jun 20, 2006
Igbo this, Igbo that, boy, cant we just have a break?

1 Like

Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by mizkay(f): 10:10pm On Jun 20, 2006
take your break ababoy, no one's stopping you now,
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by ababoy1(m): 10:13pm On Jun 20, 2006
@mizkay

:-)

Guess I will, It’s turning into a siege
Re: Is Nollywood Controlled By Igbos? (Tribalised?) by mizkay(f): 10:22pm On Jun 20, 2006
@ababoy, a go die finish with laughter, you too much! grin cheesy grin cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Download Prison Break / The Lagos Lottery Game Show & Live Draw / TV station(s) That Airs The Most Educative Programmes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.