Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:26 PM

Prayers And Curses - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Prayers And Curses (2629 Views)

Karma And Curses / Kidnappers Release Winners' Chapel Calabar Pastor, As Bishop Oyedepo Curses / Prophet TB Joshua Curses Zimbabweans For Spreading Lies Against Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 10:52pm On Aug 04, 2008
Prayers are considered by religious people to be god's way of communication with his people. In fact Jesus is thought to have given an exemplar of how a prayer should be made in the popular "Our Father, who art in Heaven . . ." prayer. He even goes further to say that WHATEVER is asked for in prayer WILL be granted. This is a truly extraordinary claim, that is being put to the test everyday by Christians worldwide. In the two millenia since Christianity, Christians have been praying for a solution to the problems of diseases, poverty, droughts, natural disasters, etc. Yet these are still with us today, killing thousands and causing untold millions every year. Is god asleep or has he heard these prayers but chosen to remain silence? Are these prayers non-effective?

A recent trend I have noticed in some Christian talk is the issue of the casting of curses. Is this really supposed to be biblical? Does that bible give examples about how to cast curses? Who would a Christian want to cast a curse to? What did Jesus say about ones enemies? Should one cause a curse to be cast on one's enemies?

Of these two - prayers and curse - which is more effective?
Re: Prayers And Curses by onyinye2(f): 10:56pm On Aug 04, 2008
Oka before i answer another one of your "Let's Question Christianity" threads, why is it that you only question Christians. What of Buddhists? do they not exist? What of Muslims? do you fear them?
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 10:58pm On Aug 04, 2008
huxley:

Prayers are considered by religious people to be god's way of communication with his people.  In fact Jesus is thought to have given an exemplar of how a prayer should be made in the popular "Our Father, who art in Heaven . . ." prayer.  He even goes further to say that WHATEVER is asked for in prayer WILL be granted.  This is a truly extraordinary claim, that is being put to the test everyday by Christians worldwide.  In the two millenia since Christianity, Christians have been praying for a solution to the problems of diseases, poverty, droughts, natural disasters, etc. Yet these are still with us today, killing thousands and causing untold millions every year. Is god asleep or has he heard these prayers but chosen to remain silence?  Are these prayers non-effective?

A recent trend I have noticed in some Christian talk is the issue of the casting of curses.  Is this really supposed  to be biblical?  Does that bible give examples about how to cast curses?  Who would a Christian want to cast a curse to?  [b]What did Jesus say about ones enemies? [/b]Should one cause a curse to be cast on one's enemies?

Of these two - prayers and curse - which is more effective?

i should be asking u dat,pray tell,wat did he say about ones enemies?
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 11:00pm On Aug 04, 2008
rampant:

i should be asking u that,pray tell,what did he say about ones enemies?

I thought he said, we should cast curses on them, but I can't remember the chapter&verse. Please, help me out!
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 11:01pm On Aug 04, 2008
huxley:

I thought he said, we should cast curses on them, but I can't remember the chapter&verse. Please, help me out!

help urself out,u saw watever u think u saw or read in d bible,so look for it and tell me,im waiting
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 11:05pm On Aug 04, 2008
onyinye2:

Oka before i answer another one of your "Let's Question Christianity" threads, why is it that you only question Christians. What of Buddhists? do they not exist? What of Muslims? do you fear them?

I was once a Christian, which has given me access to the christian mentality, doctrine and belief system. As don't know as much about these other religions as I do christianity. But that does not mean I have reverence for them. I have the same amount of opposition to them as christianity but cannot quote chapter&verse as I do with christianity.
Re: Prayers And Curses by Lady2(f): 11:46pm On Aug 04, 2008
Yet these are still with us today, killing thousands and causing untold millions every year. Is god asleep or has he heard these prayers but chosen to remain silence? Are these prayers non-effective?

First of all, whatever you ask according to the will of the Father will be granted to you. There is a reason for everything. All things (good or bad) works out for the best for those who love God.

Second, you are very broad in the diseases and all, are all these Christians? Do they truly believe? Are they prayng with faith or are they praying just to see if it will really happen, that is doubt in itself and God is not one to be put to the test. He is not subject to man.

A recent trend I have noticed in some Christian talk is the issue of the casting of curses. Is this really supposed to be biblical? Does that bible give examples about how to cast curses? Who would a Christian want to cast a curse to? What did Jesus say about ones enemies? Should one cause a curse to be cast on one's enemies?

Do not be too general in your talk about Chrstians. You know very well that not all who claim to be Christians are. By your fruit you shall know them. I saw the thread on that Oyedepo pastor casting curses on the robbers instead of praying for them, I shook my head, but because all that is happening does that mean that I should deny God no. Man is full of flaws, just because I profess that I am a Christian doesn't mean that I am not full of flaws. There are times that I sin and don't even realise that I am sinning, infact I might even think that I am doing the right thing.
But because man sins does not in anyway mean that God himself is full of flaw, just because those who worship God sins does not mean that God whom they worship is applauding it, you never know what will happen tomorrow, it is even worse for them because they know better.
Will I now stop believing in God because man is full of flaw, absolutely not. If I do, it shows that I wasn't looking to God, but to man.

I saw that you mentioned that you were a Christian. If you left because of the actions of man, then I am very sorry for you, you weren't looking to God, you were only looking to man. You were not focused on heaven but on proving that it even exists. You weren't a Christian afterall. We walk by faith and not by sight and faith is the realisation of what is hoped for and evidence of things unseen.
You may choose to believe that things not seen are not at all real, but life over centuries have always held a belief in something or someone superior.
Looking to man will leave you faithless and very disappointed.
If you left because of the teachings in your Church well I am truly sorry that they didn't teach you the history of your religion and the truths revealed to us in time.

I was once a Christian, which has given me access to the christian mentality, doctrine and belief system.

I would like to know what the Christian mentality, doctrine, and belief system is in your view.
Re: Prayers And Curses by Okijajuju1(m): 12:04am On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

I really dont believe thats the issue. He is more conversant with the doctrines and rotuals of christianity, probably grew up in it and is now questioning the tenet which he was brain washed into believing was the truth.

@ Topic

Prayers and Curses

I have always been fasinated by this term that is now widely used in almost every church; "Die by fire", "Return to sender", "visit my enemies with your warth", "Holy Ghost fire burn them" e.t.c. I have even heard someone praying cancer and leprosy on their enemies. Some even go as far as cursing the unborn children of their enemies.
I believe christians are nothing but unarmed assasins/murderers. What ever happened to Matthew 5:44 |But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you".

Luke 11:4 And forgive us our sins; as we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
Re: Prayers And Curses by Lady2(f): 4:59am On Aug 05, 2008
I believe christians are nothing but unarmed assasins/murderers.

be careful not to be general.
Re: Prayers And Curses by tpia: 5:37am On Aug 05, 2008
huxley:

I was once a Christian, which has given me access to the christian mentality, doctrine and belief system. As don't know as much about these other religions as I do christianity. But that does not mean I have reverence for them. I have the same amount of opposition to them as christianity but cannot quote chapter&verse as I do with christianity.

actually, you dont know much about Christianity either.

You only think you do.
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 8:51am On Aug 05, 2008
tpia:

actually, you don't know much about Christianity either.

You only think you do.

What does it take to be a Christian? This is the sort of argumentation Christian use on anyone who leaves the religion. This fallacy is known in philosophy as "The no true Scotsman" fallacy. Check it out.

How about all those who spend decades in Christianity, training as pastors and priest, evangelising worldwide and writing songs and tracks for the ministry and converting thousands along the way. How would you know any such person is a true Christian?
Re: Prayers And Curses by ifyalways(f): 1:15pm On Aug 05, 2008
Anyone can curse or bless,no qualms,God alone has the final say. generally speaking
Bless and curse not,bless and keep blessing. for those saved by grace
If my hands are not clean and my heart not clear towards you,u can go ahead and curse and it would work amadioha/Traditional way
Ofcos prayers/blessings works like fire."by so doing we heap coals of fire on their head" wink
@Huxley,the choice is yours,seriously.
Re: Prayers And Curses by tpia: 3:01pm On Aug 05, 2008
huxley:

What does it take to be a Christian? This is the sort of argumentation Christian use on anyone who leaves the religion. This fallacy is known in philosophy as "The no true Scotsman" fallacy. Check it out.

How about all those who spend decades in Christianity, training as pastors and priest, evangelising worldwide and writing songs and tracks for the ministry and converting thousands along the way. How would you know any such person is a true Christian?

you're misreading my post.

I'm not debating if you're a Christian or not.

I said, you dont understand Christianity as much as you think you do.
Re: Prayers And Curses by MrCrackles(m): 3:03pm On Aug 05, 2008
tpia:

I said, you don't understand Christianity as much as you think you do.

i agree with you TPIA-PIA! grin
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 3:18pm On Aug 05, 2008
tpia:

Just one example in my flawed understanding would be helpful.
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2008
tpia:

tell him my dear

huxley u think u know alot about christianity,but believe me u know nothing
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 5:09pm On Aug 05, 2008
Well, I have graciously asked to be educated about Christianity in another thread but you guys are shying off that thread. What am I supposed to do.

My knowledge of christianity comes from my days as a christian, reading christian material and living amongst christians seeing how they behave and lead their lives.

I have asked to be shown where I have a flawed understanding but that is yet to happen.
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 5:11pm On Aug 05, 2008
u dont ask to be educated huxley,u judge and criticise and then try to hide under d shadows of "can u christian peeps pls help me out"
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2008
rampant:

u don't ask to be educated huxley,u judge and criticise and then try to hide under d shadows of "can u christian peeps please help me out"

Basically I ask to be educated about how christians can rationalise seeming contradictions. I also post a great deal to criticise what I fine faulty reasoning and downright immoral acts. Is there anything wrong with that?
Re: Prayers And Curses by onyinye2(f): 5:24pm On Aug 05, 2008
huxley:

Basically I ask to be educated about how christians can rationalise seeming contradictions. I also post a great deal to criticise what I fine faulty reasoning and downright immoral acts. Is there anything wrong with that?
Why do you only critize only Christians? Why don't you critize the Muslims, the Buddhists, the Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, Hindus?
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 5:27pm On Aug 05, 2008
@huxley
nothing wrong wt asking questions,but like i said stop hiding under the shadows of "u people shpuld help me out" threads,  you're not asking any questions,you're trying to deconvert the christians,so stop calling your jugdements/ condemnations  questions ,because we all know it is nt what u claim it is

u don't ask questions u criticise,as if u r perfect
Re: Prayers And Curses by Queenisha: 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Why do you only critize only Christians? Why don't you critize the Muslims, the Buddhists, the Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, Hindus?

you want make them take him do ngwo ngwo
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 5:31pm On Aug 05, 2008
onyinye2:

Funnily enough, I had Mormons on my doorstep today and I gave them roasting. In a way I regret giving them a rough time, but they interrupted me in the course of work and I said to myself, "OK give to them".
Re: Prayers And Curses by onyinye2(f): 5:35pm On Aug 05, 2008
huxley:

Funnily enough, I had Mormons on my doorstep today and I gave them roasting. In a way I regret giving them a rough time, but they interrupted me in the course of work and I said to myself, "OK give to them".
You are dodging mayne. Since you call yourself an atheist not a lost soul, instead of making your questions(judgments) on Christians, go and question(judge) the Muslims, the Buddhist, the Hindus,the Jehovah Witnesses, the Mormons, the Jews. Are that not religions too?
Re: Prayers And Curses by Queenisha: 5:38pm On Aug 05, 2008
The guy will end up with his limbs in a pot of pepper soup like so

Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2008
lmasfgbsao queen honestly huxley deserve it grin grin
Re: Prayers And Curses by JeSoul(f): 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2008
Queenisha:

The guy will end up with his limbs in a pot of pepper soup like so
hei nasty! I was having lunch oh! Correct rice and stew with dodo and grilled chicken grin  cheesy  no spoil am for me oh!
Re: Prayers And Curses by Queenisha: 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2008
JeSoul:

hei nasty! I was having lunch oh! Correct rice and stew with dodo and grilled chicken lipsrsealed cheesy no spoil am for me oh!

I'm sorry.
I hope you've eaten the chicken finish before I posted my raw meat
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 5:42pm On Aug 05, 2008
rampant:

lmasfgbsao queen honestly huxley deserve it grin grin

I don't believe you said this, did you?
Re: Prayers And Curses by rampant(f): 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2008
huxley:

I don't believe you said this, did you?

yes sweetheart i did  kiss kiss kiss

u wanna judge me as usual?
Re: Prayers And Curses by huxley(m): 5:43pm On Aug 05, 2008
That is nothing compared to what is in the bible. All read 2 kings 10;

2 Kings 10
Ahab's Family Killed
1 Now there were in Samaria seventy sons of the house of Ahab. So Jehu wrote letters and sent them to Samaria: to the officials of Jezreel, [a] to the elders and to the guardians of Ahab's children. He said, 2 "As soon as this letter reaches you, since your master's sons are with you and you have chariots and horses, a fortified city and weapons, 3 choose the best and most worthy of your master's sons and set him on his father's throne. Then fight for your master's house."

4 But they were terrified and said, "If two kings could not resist him, how can we?"

5 So the palace administrator, the city governor, the elders and the guardians sent this message to Jehu: "We are your servants and we will do anything you say. We will not appoint anyone as king; you do whatever you think best."

6 Then Jehu wrote them a second letter, saying, "If you are on my side and will obey me, take the heads of your master's sons and come to me in Jezreel by this time tomorrow."
Now the royal princes, seventy of them, were with the leading men of the city, who were rearing them. 7 When the letter arrived, these men took the princes and slaughtered all seventy of them. They put their heads in baskets and sent them to Jehu in Jezreel. 8 When the messenger arrived, he told Jehu, "They have brought the heads of the princes."
Then Jehu ordered, "Put them in two piles at the entrance of the city gate until morning."

9 The next morning Jehu went out. He stood before all the people and said, "You are innocent. It was I who conspired against my master and killed him, but who killed all these? 10 Know then, that not a word the LORD has spoken against the house of Ahab will fail. The LORD has done what he promised through his servant Elijah." 11 So Jehu killed everyone in Jezreel who remained of the house of Ahab, as well as all his chief men, his close friends and his priests, leaving him no survivor.

12 Jehu then set out and went toward Samaria. At Beth Eked of the Shepherds, 13 he met some relatives of Ahaziah king of Judah and asked, "Who are you?"
They said, "We are relatives of Ahaziah, and we have come down to greet the families of the king and of the queen mother."

14 "Take them alive!" he ordered. So they took them alive and slaughtered them by the well of Beth Eked—forty-two men. He left no survivor.

15 After he left there, he came upon Jehonadab son of Recab, who was on his way to meet him. Jehu greeted him and said, "Are you in accord with me, as I am with you?"
"I am," Jehonadab answered.
"If so," said Jehu, "give me your hand." So he did, and Jehu helped him up into the chariot. 16 Jehu said, "Come with me and see my zeal for the LORD." Then he had him ride along in his chariot.

17 When Jehu came to Samaria, he killed all who were left there of Ahab's family; he destroyed them, according to the word of the LORD spoken to Elijah.
Ministers of Baal Killed
18 Then Jehu brought all the people together and said to them, "Ahab served Baal a little; Jehu will serve him much. 19 Now summon all the prophets of Baal, all his ministers and all his priests. See that no one is missing, because I am going to hold a great sacrifice for Baal. Anyone who fails to come will no longer live." But Jehu was acting deceptively in order to destroy the ministers of Baal.

20 Jehu said, "Call an assembly in honor of Baal." So they proclaimed it. 21 Then he sent word throughout Israel, and all the ministers of Baal came; not one stayed away. They crowded into the temple of Baal until it was full from one end to the other. 22 And Jehu said to the keeper of the wardrobe, "Bring robes for all the ministers of Baal." So he brought out robes for them.

23 Then Jehu and Jehonadab son of Recab went into the temple of Baal. Jehu said to the ministers of Baal, "Look around and see that no servants of the LORD are here with you—only ministers of Baal." 24 So they went in to make sacrifices and burnt offerings. Now Jehu had posted eighty men outside with this warning: "If one of you lets any of the men I am placing in your hands escape, it will be your life for his life."

25 As soon as Jehu had finished making the burnt offering, he ordered the guards and officers: "Go in and kill them; let no one escape." So they cut them down with the sword. The guards and officers threw the bodies out and then entered the inner shrine of the temple of Baal. 26 They brought the sacred stone out of the temple of Baal and burned it. 27 They demolished the sacred stone of Baal and tore down the temple of Baal, and people have used it for a latrine to this day.

28 So Jehu destroyed Baal worship in Israel. 29 However, he did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam son of Nebat, which he had caused Israel to commit—the worship of the golden calves at Bethel and Dan.

30 The LORD said to Jehu, "Because you have done well in accomplishing what is right in my eyes and have done to the house of Ahab all I had in mind to do, your descendants will sit on the throne of Israel to the fourth generation." 31 Yet Jehu was not careful to keep the law of the LORD, the God of Israel, with all his heart. He did not turn away from the sins of Jeroboam, which he had caused Israel to commit.

32 In those days the LORD began to reduce the size of Israel. Hazael overpowered the Israelites throughout their territory 33 east of the Jordan in all the land of Gilead (the region of Gad, Reuben and Manasseh), from Aroer by the Arnon Gorge through Gilead to Bashan.

34 As for the other events of Jehu's reign, all he did, and all his achievements, are they not written in the book of the annals of the kings of Israel?

35 Jehu rested with his fathers and was buried in Samaria. And Jehoahaz his son succeeded him as king. 36 The time that Jehu reigned over Israel in Samaria was twenty-eight years.
Re: Prayers And Curses by JeSoul(f): 5:46pm On Aug 05, 2008
Queenisha:

I'm sorry.
I hope you've eaten the chicken finish before I posted my raw meat

Infact I am working on it now. . . the taste is overriding the sight of that "raw meat" smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Homosexuality And Christainity: What Is Your Position? / Irrevocable Payment Order Via Atm Card - Yahoo Boys / See Church Where Members Worship Stark Naked (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.