Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 AM

On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran (2119 Views)

Indictment On Evolution Theory!!! / Interesting Videos On Evolution/creationism/spirituality; ETC / What Are Catholic Perspectives On Evolution? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 8:10am On Dec 29, 2013
This has got me thinking for sometime. While debating religionists and issues of evolution and the big bang arises, most religionists tend to say they believe in micro-evolution(changes within species) but not macro-evolution(changes outside species). They also tend to generally accept the big bang theory with the caveat that God must had been behind it.

Here is where the question lies, let's even agree micro-evolution is true and macro is wrong and that God started the Big-Bang, how come there is no single mention of evolution in all religious books? How come there is no single mention of the big-bang in religious books (except some very pathetic twists of quranic verses)?

God had all the time to talk about slavery, genocide, sacrifices, idolatory but couldn't simply talk about evolution and the big-bang.

Why did we have to wait so long for darwin? Why did we have to wait so long for George Lemaître?

If history is anything to go by, it is that God/Allah has done or said nothing of note as regards earth and life forms only to promise fantasies of heaven.

Its on the basis of the above I'll always cast my lot with science despite the presence of dark n grey areas and will encourage everyone to do so.

God/Allah, Bible/Quran has always never been there when we need them the most.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 8:38am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

Here is where the question lies, let's even agree micro-evolution is true and macro is wrong and that God started the Big-Bang, how come there is no single mention of evolution in all religious books? How come there is no single mention of the big-bang in religious books (except some very pathetic twists of quranic verses)?

That could very sensibly be because -

1. Such technical explanations were not needed

2. Such technical explanations would not have been understood

Do you teach your 6 month old baby Further Maths?

God had all the time to talk about slavery, genocide, sacrifices, idolatory but couldn't simply talk about evolution and the big-bang.

As stated above, it would have been ridiculous at that stage in human development to discuss such things as evolution and the big-bang. As for the slavery, genocide, sacrifices, et all, I have no defense for such barbarities and I condemn the notion of God situated in scripture which advanced such things.

If history is anything to go by, it is that God/Allah has done or said nothing of note as regards earth and life forms only to promise fantasies of heaven.

If it is the view of the theist that God created him into this world, what will be so absurd in believing that the said creator could take him to another world?

Its on the basis of the above I'll always cast my lot with science despite the presence of dark n grey areas and will encourage everyone to do so.

Do bear in mind that being scientific and being religious (or spiritual) are not mutually exclusive. Indeed you "science-worshippers" should have some healthy respect for the fact that a good number of the more important scientific theorems were actually propounded by very religious scientists.

Such as this same Big-Bang you speak about.

The Big Bang theory developed from observations of the structure of the Universe and from theoretical considerations. In 1912 Vesto Slipher measured the first Doppler shift of a "spiral nebula" (spiral nebula is the obsolete term for spiral galaxies), and soon discovered that almost all such nebulae were receding from Earth. He did not grasp the cosmological implications of this fact, and indeed at the time it was highly controversial whether or not these nebulae were "island universes" outside our Milky Way.[39][40] Ten years later, Alexander Friedmann, a Russian cosmologist and mathematician, derived the Friedmann equations from Albert Einstein's equations of general relativity, showing that the Universe might be expanding in contrast to the static Universe model advocated by Einstein at that time.[41] In 1924 Edwin Hubble's measurement of the great distance to the nearest spiral nebulae showed that these systems were indeed other galaxies. Independently deriving Friedmann's equations in 1927, Georges Lemaître, a Belgian physicist and Roman Catholic priest, proposed that the inferred recession of the nebulae was due to the expansion of the Universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_theory#Development

Yes, a Catholic Priest. The very same man you mentioned.

So please, y'all need to get off your high horses.

You needed them the most when you were completely ignorant, and they helped keep you somewhat sane, yes they did.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Gombs(m): 8:55am On Dec 29, 2013
Muhheeheheehheheheehe

Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Joshthefirst(m): 9:03am On Dec 29, 2013
Even though DS has already whipped you, I will whip you harder, so that you will never stray into the path of irrational thoughts again. grin

rationalmind: This has got me thinking for sometime. While debating religionists and issues of evolution and the big bang arises, most religionists tend to say they believe in micro-evolution(changes within species) but not macro-evolution(changes outside species). They also tend to generally accept the big bang theory with the caveat that God must had been behind it.
generally, yes.

rationalmind: Here is where the question lies, let's even agree micro-evolution is true and macro is wrong and that God started the Big-Bang, how come there is no single mention of evolution in all religious books? How come there is no single mention of the big-bang in religious books (except some very pathetic twists of quranic verses)?
why will God teach people who were in dire circumstances and non-contemporary earth about the big bang and origins of a universe he claims he will soon destroy? Why sould he begin to distract them from the basic issues he sought to handle with humanity; sin and salvation? Why will God meet a human being and start talking about the big bang to him? Nawa for you o.

rationalmind: God had all the time to talk about slavery, genocide, sacrifices, idolatory but couldn't simply talk about evolution and the big-bang.
do you know what the above you have mentioned were doing to people at that time? Do you know what idolatry was doing to nations? Do you know people were sacrificing their children? Do you know people were brutalized in slavery? Why would God start talking about evolution and the big bang and ignore the judging and adressing of all these unspeakables?

rationalmind: Why did we have to wait so long for darwin? Why did we have to wait so long for George Lemaître?
you need to be given a knock on your head. You do not even know what darwinian evolution entails.
And as ds has said, very many scientific strongholds were understood by religious men.

rationalmind: If history is anything to go by, it is that God/Allah has done or said nothing of note as regards earth and life forms only to promise fantasies of heaven.
God has given people hope and enabled men to forgive, and of course, God has given us sure promises of a new world and salvation from this dying one. If you want to remain here, feel free. Inspite of this contemporary earths technological advancement, the death rate is more, and people are living in worse conditions than then.

rationalmind: Its on the basis of the above I'll always cast my lot with science despite the presence of dark n grey areas and will encourage everyone to do so.
the above is pathetic from you. And your blind faith in unreasonable speculations is not science. Science is rational and reasonable and helps and in no way does it negate the christian religion, infact, it confirms it. Darwinian evolution has never and can never be confirmed as it is impossible to relive the "hundreds of millions o' years"

rationalmind: God/Allah, Bible/Quran has always never been there when we need them the most.
nonsense. God has and will always be there when people trust in his mercy and strength. Billions of people with a personal testimony bear witness.

In conclusion, your thread has failed woefully.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by mahdino: 9:27am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind: This has got me thinking for sometime. While debating religionists and issues of evolution and the big bang arises, most religionists tend to say they believe in micro-evolution(changes within species) but not macro-evolution(changes outside species). They also tend to generally accept the big bang theory with the caveat that God must had been behind it.

Why did we have to wait so long for darwin? Why did we have to wait so long for George Lemaître?

The Quran clearly mentioned it, straight and direct in over 1400 years ago before your scientist thought of it in Chapter 21 verse 30 "Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth (universe) were joined together as one united piece, then we parted them?...
You don't have to twist anyting here, can't u see this verse is directly refering to u? Please account for that who did an Arab an illiterate who cannot read or write say that 1400 years ago?
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 9:49am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

As stated above, it would have been ridiculous at that stage in human development to discuss such things as evolution and the big-bang. As for the slavery, genocide, sacrifices, et all, I have no defense for such barbarities and I condemn the notion of God situated in scripture which advanced such things.

While you raised some good points, I'll still like you to remember religious books were never written solely for people who lived when it was written. It was supposedly written for everyone including generations of people yet unborn. It wouldn't matter whether the people then could understand it or not, what would matter is that, people sometime later will come to understand it and as such it should still had been written.

Secondly, the work of the holy spirit is to provide
Illumination and understanding to scriptural verses, if the big band theory and evolution had been written, it is safe to assume men of God through the inspiration of the holy spirit would have been able to decipher it.

Thirdly, it might not be needed then as you rightly said but its obviously needed now and since the books were written for everyone including generations yet unborn as I earlier said, it wouldn't had been too much if It was there.

Deep Sight: If it is the view of the theist that God created him into this world, what will be so absurd in believing that the said creator could take him to another world?

Well said.

Deep Sight: Do bear in mind that being scientific and being religious (or spiritual) are not mutually exclusive. Indeed you "science-worshippers" should have some healthy respect for the fact that a good number of the more important scientific theorems were actually propounded by very religious scientists.

I wouldn't dispute the fact that religious scientists have contributed to the development of science as a whole. But I hope you do realise majority of these religious scientists always do well to separate matters of their faith from their work. They never let religious faith influence their work as scientists.

In other words, there is a separation between religious faith and science. They are two parallel paths that never cross.

Deep Sight: You needed them the most when you were completely ignorant, and they helped keep you somewhat sane, yes they did.

I don't think I understand what you are trying to say here. How did they keep me sane? When was I completely ignorant and they were the ones that helped me.

Keep in mind when you reply there are sane people born by atheists parents who were never indoctrinated with religious garbage from God/Allah. Therefore it will be wrong to imply they are needed to keep anyone sane.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

6 month old baby? Not understood? Not needed?

You do realise that the same God says that people perish without knowledge?

Furthermore, are you seriously arguing that the brains of human beings now are bigger or more functional than those of the people in the biblical times? So are you arguing that such a powerful God could not use his power to make humans of the biblical times to understand evolution and to understand their world a little bit better?

How can knowledge of your environment be useless (not needed)?
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 29, 2013
Joshthefirst: Even though DS has already whipped you, I will whip you harder, so that you will never stray into the path of irrational thoughts again. grin

Lol, we shall see who is irrational grin

Joshthefirst: generally, yes.

Okay?

Joshthefirst: why will God teach people who were in dire circumstances and non-contemporary earth about the big bang and origins of a universe he claims he will soon destroy? Why sould he begin to distract them from the basic issues he sought to handle with humanity; sin and salvation? Why will God meet a human being and start talking about the big bang to him? Nawa for you o.

Like I mentioned to deepsight, you people are arguing from the wrong assumption that the bible was written solely for people who lived when it was written. Since I've already addressed that, I'll move on to something else.

So, God could talk about how he created adam from clay and how he created eve from his ribs but couldn't talk about the big bang. Lol. Do you realise there are over 31,000 verses in the bible. Why would a single verse talking about evolution and the big bang be wrong considering the lots of irrelevant verses present in the book of solomon alone.
Joshthefirst: do you know what the above you have mentioned were doing to people at that time? Do you know what idolatry was doing to nations? Do you know people were sacrificing their children? Do you know people were brutalized in slavery? Why would God start talking about evolution and the big bang and ignore the judging and adressing of all these unspeakables?

I had already addressed these banal points. In addition, do you know the billions of dollars been wasted into research yearly researching about evolution and the big-bang all in a bid to make the world a better place? Why do we have to waste so much money and time when a chapter in the bible will be all we needed. Do you know the number of deaths scientific ignorance alone caused in the dark ages? All these were not necessary for your God to intervene but when people started practising idolatory which is even relatively more peaceful than what we have now, your God needed to intervene

Joshthefirst: you need to be given a knock on your head. You do not even know what darwinian evolution entails.
And as ds has said, very many scientific strongholds were understood by religious men.

I had already addressed this. Check my response to deepsight.

Joshthefirst: God has given people hope and enabled men to forgive, and of course, God has given us sure promises of a new world and salvation from this dying one. If you want to remain here, feel free. Inspite of this contemporary earths technological advancement, the death rate is more, and people are living in worse conditions than then.

the above is pathetic from you. And your blind faith in unreasonable speculations is not science. Science is rational and reasonable and helps and in no way does it negate the christian religion, infact, it confirms it. Darwinian evolution has never and can never be confirmed as it is impossible to relive the "hundreds of millions o' years"

nonsense. God has and will always be there when people trust in his mercy and strength. Billions of people with a personal testimony bear witness.

In conclusion, your thread has failed woefully.

I can't see anything worth responding to again other than you usual failed rants.

And since you said science doesn't negate the christian faith, you can start by telling us how science observes, tests and make predictions about the resurrection of Jesus.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 29, 2013
mahdino:

The Quran clearly mentioned it, straight and direct in over 1400 years ago before your scientist thought of it in Chapter 21 verse 30 "Do not those who disbelieve see that the heavens and the earth (universe) were joined together as one united piece, then we parted them?...
You don't have to twist anyting here, can't u see this verse is directly refering to u? Please account for that who did an Arab an illiterate who cannot read or write say that 1400 years ago?

While I appreciate your input and your conviction, we only need honest people on these thread. We don't need any one to twist any thing here.

Read that verse again, it said the heaven and the earth were parted. That's scientific ignorance from Allah. Heaven is not separate from the earth. Heaven(sky) is inside the earth.

Like I said, only honest people are welcome on this thread. We don't need any twists and re-interpretations. Thank you

Edit: I just noticed the universe you put in brackets after earth. When does earth start being the universe. Did you do geography in school? Earth is a planet on its own in the universe. Earth does not equal universe.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Joshthefirst(m): 10:30am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

Lol, we shall see who is irrational grin

Okay?

Like I mentioned to deepsight, you people are arguing from the wrong assumption that the bible was written solely for people who lived when it was written. Since I've already addressed that, I'll move on to something else.

So, God could talk about how he created adam from clay and how he created eve from his ribs but couldn't talk about the big bang. Lol. Do you realise there are over 31,000 verses in the bible. Why would a single verse talking about evolution and the big bang be wrong considering the lots of irrelevant verses present in the book of solomon alone.
verses on the origin of life and nature of things are sited everywhere in the bible, especially in genesis. The bible was not just written for us, it was written for them too, and in a way they would accept and understand, not in a way that would confuse them. With our more potent knowledge of today, the genetic and scientific implications of the account of genesis makes even more sense. I can give examples. In your case, you read from face value and dismiss everything.

rationalmind: I had already addressed these banal points. In addition, do you know the billions of dollars been wasted into research yearly researching about evolution and the big-bang all in a bid to make the world a better place? Why do we have to waste so much money and time when a chapter in the bible will be all we needed. Do you know the number of deaths scientific ignorance alone caused in the dark ages? All these were not necessary for your God to intervene but when people started practising idolatory which is even relatively more peaceful than what we have now, your God needed to intervene
the death rate of today is much worse than all the death rates of the past put together. And most of the research we do is just to feed our curiosity as humans. Corrupt people are stealing and exploiting, and we should talk of evolution and the big bang? In old days, people were commiting violent homosexuality and pagan prostitution and child sacrifice and we should talk of the big bang to them.

rationalmind: I had already addressed this. Check my response to deepsight.

I can't see anything worth responding to again other than you usual failed rants.

And since you said science doesn't negate the christian faith, you can start by telling us how science observes, tests and make predictions about the resurrection of Jesus.
you can also start by telling me how science proves that abraham lincoln existed.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by mahdino: 10:34am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

While I appreciate your input and your conviction, we only need honest people on these thread. We don't need any one to twist any thing here.

Read that verse again, it said the heaven and the earth were parted. That's scientific ignorance from Allah. Heaven is not separate from the earth. Heaven(sky) is inside the earth.

Like I said, only honest people are welcome on this thread. We don't need any twists and re-interpretations. Thank you

Edit: I just noticed the universe you put in brackets after earth. When does earth start being the universe. Did you do geography in school? Earth is a planet on its own in the universe. Earth does not equal universe.
When did the heavens mean sky? Ardi in Arabic means earth including the sky, in Arabic heaven are worlds beside the earth. Your knowledge of language is very weak. If u are honest u would look up to the quran and the Arabic dictionary befor u make a comment.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 29, 2013
mahdino:
When did the heavens mean sky? Ardi in Arabic means earth including the sky, in Arabic heaven are worlds beside the earth. Your knowledge of science and language is very weak. If u are honest u would look up to the quran and the Arabic dictionary befor u make a comment.

Ok, You don win.

The scientific world is still looking for cure for HIV/AIDS. You can show us the verse in the quran that talks about it.

Not that they will discover it and as usual, you find a verse to twist again.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 10:54am On Dec 29, 2013
Joshthefirst: verses on the origin of life and nature of things are sited everywhere in the bible, especially in genesis.

Those origins of life and nature are wrong. Several biblical scholars and theologians now generally agree the story of creation is false and adam and eve were myths that never existed. Those verses should had talked about evolution(even if micro) and the big bang.

Joshthefirst: The bible was not just written for us, it was written for them too, and in a way they would accept and understand, not in a way that would confuse them. With our more potent knowledge of today, the genetic and scientific implications of the account of genesis makes even more sense. I can give examples. In your case, you read from face value and dismiss everything.

I'm waiting for those examples and how it confirms the big bang and evolution. Remember this thread is majorly about evolution, the big-bang and the bible/quran. So please do well not to derail.

Joshthefirst: the death rate of today is much worse than all the death rates of the past put together. And most of the research we do is just to feed our curiosity as humans. Corrupt people are stealing and exploiting, and we should talk of evolution and the big bang? In old days, people were commiting violent homosexuality and pagan prostitution and child sacrifice and we should talk of the big bang to them.

You are once again showing ignorance of
The advantages of scientific discoveries like the big-bang and evolution as regards our general well being.

Do you have any idea the discovery of the field of quantum mechanics led to the discovery of transistors for example after many years. Those same transistors and several other components discovered with the help of QM have been fabricated into Integrated circuits with which your phone and several other electronics devices operates.

In essence, you never can tell how discoveries about big-bang and evolution will in turn affect our general well being years from now. So, yes, we should talk about evolution and big bang.

Joshthefirst: you can also start by telling me how science proves that abraham lincoln existed.

See how pathetic you are. You made a banal and false statement that science doesn't negate christianity. I debunked you by telling you to use it to prove the resurrection of Jesus only for you to ask me how science proves abraham lincoln.

The case of existence abraham lincoln is non-sequitor, red herring and a pathetic strawman as I never talked about the existence of Jesus. I specifically talked about resurrection.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 10:59am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

While you raised some good points, I'll still like you to remember religious books were never written solely for people who lived when it was written. It was supposedly written for everyone including generations of people yet unborn. It wouldn't matter whether the people then could understand it or not, what would matter is that, people sometime later will come to understand it and as such it should still had been written.

Oh no, not at all, nothing could be further from the truth.

1. If people didn't understand the writings at that time, they would have been long discarded and lost like many others and would have never made it to this day in the first place.

2. The true needs of mankind up till today are addressed in basic teachings of harmony within many such scriptures. Those still remain the foundations of a society which are needed for every other progress.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 11:00am On Dec 29, 2013
Logicboy03:

6 month old baby? Not understood? Not needed?

You do realise that the same God says that people perish without knowledge?

Furthermore, are you seriously arguing that the brains of human beings now are bigger or more functional than those of the people in the biblical times? So are you arguing that such a powerful God could not use his power to make humans of the biblical times to understand evolution and to understand their world a little bit better?

How can knowledge of your environment be useless (not needed)?

That's why I said such "technical" explanations were not needed.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 11:05am On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

I think the Muslim poster has a more plausible interpretation that you do. "Heavens" certainly does not mean the earth's atmospheric sky in that context. It refers to celestial bodies, and given that it says they were joined together (singularity) before being torn apart (big-bang /expansion) this would, as the Muslim poster says, tie in quite nicely with as good an explanation of the origin of the universe as could be expected to have been given to such primitive men, no?
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

Oh no, not at all, nothing could be further from the truth.

1. If people didn't understand the writings at that time, they would have been long discarded and lost like many others and would have never made it to this day in the first place.

You know fully well this is not true. Christians are today claiming there are portions of the bible that
Science has eventually come to validate. Same with muslims. Those verses were never discarded. Same thing would had happened had the big-bang and evolution been written.

Deep Sight: 2. The true needs of mankind up till today are addressed in basic teachings of harmony within many such scriptures. Those still remain the foundations of a society which are needed for every other progress.

I addressed this in my reponse to Josh when I showed how beneficial on the whole it would had been had evolution and the big bang been revealed earlier in those books.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 11:20am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

I think the Muslim poster has a more plausible interpretation that you do. "Heavens" certainly does not mean the earth's atmospheric sky in that context. It refers to celestial bodies, and given that it says they were joined together (singularity) before being torn apart (big-bang /expansion) this would, as the Muslim poster says, tie in quite nicely with as good an explanation of the origin of the universe as could be expected to have been given to such primitive men, no?

That is bullsheit and you know it.

Heavens is an ambiguous term and it in no way relates to the big bang. over a 100 centuries, there was no interpetation of "heavens" that was related to the big bang.......the scientific theory comes and now, the Quran claims that it predicted it....

The celestial bodies were not joined together...rather, most were formed in tandem

First, the big bang,
Then stars
Then solar systems
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

No it won't. What expanded from the big bang has nothing to do with heaven(celestial bodies) or earth. It was all a collection of gases like helium and deterium. The heaven(celestial bodies) and earth were not parted as a result of the big bang.

What the guy n several others are attempting to do is what I call the miracle of re-interpretation.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 11:33am On Dec 29, 2013
^^^ It still finds place in interpretation. Would Allah have written all the chemical equations into the Quaran? Come on. He could only express it in Arabic poetry, and that's enough! angry angry angry angry angry
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:
^^^ It still finds place in interpretation. Would Allah have written all the chemical equations into the Quaran? Come on. He could only express it in Arabic poetry, and that's enough! angry angry angry angry angry

Lol
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Redlyn: 11:52am On Dec 29, 2013
Why is x and y not mentioned in the bible?
Simple. God couldn't put everything in bible. He only puts mostly matters of spiritual importance.
Evolution and details of the big bang is therefore irrelevant to the purpose of the bible.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 11:56am On Dec 29, 2013
Redlyn: Why is x and y not mentioned in the bible?
Simple. God couldn't put everything in bible. He only puts mostly matters of spiritual importance.
Evolution and details of the big bang is therefore irrelevant to the purpose of the bible.

But the story of creation of adam from clay and eve from his ribs is relevant.

The several verses in the book of solomon that makes casanova appear like a learner are of spiritual importance and are relevant to the purpose of the bible.

1 Like

Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by MrTroll(m): 1:05pm On Dec 29, 2013
All those religious books were written by ancient men who had much lesser knowledge than we have today about our world. While some were accurate due to their simple observations, many were quite erroneous. I do not blame them really. My problem is when grown asss adults today still peddle those ancient outdated knowledge as the absolute truth that can never be changed or modified and then proceed to indoctrinate children with such blatant falsehood that have been shown to be so in light of new knowledge. This is the height of religious delusion. Wtf!?

People reject sound theories and observable facts just because it doesn't fit into the age old myths of ignorant men. I mean, this is annoying angry

Adam and Eve never existed. Donkeys don't talk to humans. Mohammed didn't ride on any winged beast to anywhere! What the fuq is wrong with you people?
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 1:10pm On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: All those religious books were written by ancient men who had much lesser knowledge than we have today about our world. While some were accurate due to their simple observations, many were quite erroneous. I do not blame them really. My problem is when grown asss adults today still peddle those ancient outdated knowledge as the absolute truth that can never be changed or modified and then proceed to indoctrinate children with such blatant falsehood that have been shown to be so in light of new knowledge. This is the height of religious delusion. Wtf!?

People reject sound theories and observable facts just because it doesn't fit into the age old myths of ignorant men. I mean, this is annoying angry

Adam and Eve never existed. Donkeys don't talk to humans. Mohammed didn't ride on any winged beast to anywhere! What the fuq is wrong with you people?

Lol, the most annoying thing is that, they keep saying those myths have been confirmed by science and have scientific basis.

In addition to reasons explained in the first few lines of the OP, I also wondered why the bible never mentioned the big bang and evolution or even quantum mechanics out of over 31,000 verses and that led me to open this thread.

As you can see, no single christian has been able to say anything of note. Josh attempted to but failed woefully.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 1:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
^^^ The bible ought to have discussed quantum physics?

You have lost it man!
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2013
Mr Troll: All those religious books were written by ancient men who had much lesser knowledge than we have today about our world.

Well, if nothing else, it certainly seems they could write better than you can.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:
^^^ The bible ought to have discussed quantum physics?

You have lost it man!

Will that be too much from a book inspired by God to be used by men including generations yet unborn?

Will that be too much to ask from a quran you just said probably discussed the big bang?

If it can discuss the big bang, why not Quantum Mechanics.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by DeepSight(m): 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2013
rationalmind:

Will that be too much from a book inspired by God to be used by men including generations yet unborn?

Will that be too much to ask from a quran you just said probably discussed the big bang?

If it can discuss the big bang, why not Quantum Mechanics.

Please I did not say that the Quoran discussed the Big-Bang. I said that the interpretation of the Muslim poster was "more plausible" than yours. And that is true. Your characterization of the "heavens" as the earth's sky atmosphere only, is most dubious, especially when there are so many references to the stars in the heavens. The stars are not within earth's atmosphere, are they?

My exact words -

I think the Muslim poster has a more plausible interpretation that you do. "Heavens" certainly does not mean the earth's atmospheric sky in that context

Second point: You asking that the bible ought to have discussed quantum physics is beyond absurd on soooo many levels. It even misses teh trajectory of scripture as being concerned with the spiritual salvation of mankind.

Third point: There are many scriptures that could easily be "interpreted" as inferring quantum principles, if you wish to force the issue. It would only be a question of literary licence with interpretation.

But really, you are walking a meaningless path with this. . . . bible should have discussed quantum physics, lol.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Nobody: 2:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

Please I did not say that the Quoran discussed the Big-Bang. I said that the interpretation of the Muslim poster was "more plausible" than yours. And that is true. Your characterization of the "heavens" as the earth's sky atmosphere only, is most dubious, especially when there are so many references to the stars in the heavens. The stars are not within earth's atmosphere, are they?

My exact words -

Second point: You asking that the bible ought to have discussed quantum physics is beyond absurd on soooo many levels. It even misses teh trajectory of scripture as being concerned with the spiritual salvation of mankind.

Third point: There are many scriptures that could easily be "interpreted" as inferring quantum principles, if you wish to force the issue. It would only be a question of literary licence with interpretation.

But really, you are walking a meaningless path with this. . . . bible should have discussed quantum physics, lol.

And I didn't say you said the quran predicts the big bang. I thought I used the word probably.

Like I replied someone earlier, how does the song of solomon for example affect the spiritual salvation of man kind. Why should a single verse discussing quantum mechanics be out of place because it doesn't affect the spiritual salvation of mankind just like several others.

And it seems from your answer that I'm walking a meaningless path, you are yet to grasp the implications of quantum mechanics on the general well being of conscious creatures which is one of what the bible tends to do.

You can do well to read this www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=everyday-quantum-physics and several other articles of these nature on google.

Now that uve read that, imagine a world we would have now had QM been discovered as early as the 4th century through the bible. Imagine a world where computers had been invented through inspiration from the bible as early as the 5th century.

And you think something that would generally enhance well being on the whole is not worth writing in the bible?

Lastly, you said something about re-interpretation, I believe you can see how difficult that is from failed attempts of muslims to prove quranic science. You might give it a trial
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by Redlyn: 5:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
Again how does this knowledge of quantum physics improve spiritual well being which is the main purpose. You can point things in the bible that do not do this either, but that does not mean all manner of other things should be put in there as well.
Seriously how does knowledge about computers aid spiritual well being. Is the world any more spiritually enlightened because of these scientific discoveries now than in 1800s. Talk to a Buddhist monk how computers or dvds help him meditate and find inner peace for instance. This is so superficial and material. The bible should focus on how to live a good moral life full of compassion and kindness and making best of your circumstances etc.

I'm an atheist so this is just devil's advocate but if I had to design a holy book from scratch (skip over slavery, genocides and the like) and address spiritual enlightenment and salvation (ie a higher purpose) I will absolutely not be talking about quantum physics, you can discover that at your own pace.
Re: On Evolution, Big Bang, The Bible And The Quran by plaetton: 6:02pm On Dec 29, 2013
Deep Sight:

Did you not state in another thread that you thought the bible was a book that contained great truths and wisdom?
What truth and what wisdom if the very critical knowledge of origin is omitted?

And also, God did not need technical explanations to convey the knowledge of origin if he wanted to pass it on.
In the ancient books of Egypt, Summer and Babylon, much astronomical, scientific and cosmological knowledge was transmitted via passion plays, songs, poetry, pictograms and religious symbolism.

So , once again sir, your attempt to defend god's shortcomings have failed.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Way Bible Was Written Is Confusing All Pastors / The Spiritual Side Of Homosexuality / Salvation Ministries 5 Nights Of Glory Starts Today!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.