Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,523 members, 7,808,903 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:07 PM

How Important Is The Holy Communion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Important Is The Holy Communion? (1722 Views)

He Took Holy Communion And Had Sex After Church, Any Repercusion? / New Way Of Receiving Holy Communion Due To Ebola Virus / Holy Communion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Important Is The Holy Communion? by Funpeter: 10:20am On Dec 29, 2013
Am in my mid 20's and have been a Christian for a while now, thou my church don't take it regularly i mean the holy communion i want to ask was the importance of it? As a Christian is it necessary or compulsory? Who and who can take it? And when can it be taken? What is the consequence of not taking it? Is there a conditions for taking? Will want elders in the house to help me do justice to all this questions.
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by slap1(m): 10:45am On Dec 29, 2013
I'm an Anglican. I've been having a silent battle with my dad because I refused to be confirmed. Personally, I think it's mere ritual/tradition. I don't read much meaning into it. (I stand to be corrected, though.)
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by Funpeter: 11:17am On Dec 29, 2013
slap1: I'm an Anglican. I've been having a silent battle with my dad because I refused to be confirmed. Personally, I think it's mere ritual/tradition. I don't read much meaning into it. (I stand to be corrected, though.)
Maybe when you know the true meaning you can change ur perspective about it. Am a Pentecostal but am still looking and asking was d importance of it.
Btw up gunners
hope we win today and end the year on top.
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by SalC: 11:21am On Dec 29, 2013
The following bible verse will be useful while trying to understand the importance of the Holy communion

John6:48-58
Matt26.26-28
1cor11:23-34

i will be back to take them one after the other
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by Funpeter: 12:24pm On Dec 29, 2013
Aiit sir look for a bible and start reading.
Sal C: The following bible verse will be useful while trying to understand the importance of the Holy communion

John6:48-58
Matt26.26-28
1cor11:23-34

i will be back to take them one after the other
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by SalC: 12:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
It will likely take a long post to address your question but i will do my best to make it brief and not beat about the bush so here we go.....

Before one can adequqtely answer your questions, we ought to know what Holy Communion is

(b) WHAT IS HOLY COMMUNION?(/b)
Simply put"Holy communion is the appearance of the body(flesh) and blood of Jesus Christ in the form of bread and wine"
John6:48 I (Jesus) am the bread of life KJV
6:55 For my flesh is the real food and my blood is the real drink GNB
6:51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live forever(b) and the bread which i will give is my flesh(/b) which i will give for the life of the world.

(b) IMPORTANCE OF HOLY COMMUNION(/b)

1) Eternal Life: the holy communion gives us sustainance unto eternal life
John6:54 Whosoever eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath eternal life and i will raise him up at the last day.
V56: He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood dwelleth in me and I in him KJV

To be continue
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by SalC: 1:51pm On Dec 29, 2013
Continued

2) Holy Communion guarantees abundant life
John6:53 Then Jesus said to them, Verily Verily i say unto you, except you eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
6:32-33 Verily Verily i say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my father giveth you the true bread from heaven
For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven and giveth life unto the world. KJV

3) HOLY COMMUNION is INSTRUMENTAL IN THE FORGIVENESS OF SIN.

This perhaps is one controversial issue when it comes to holy communion
Apostle Paul said in 1cor11:27 Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread unworthily shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
If according to Paul, we have to be worthy before partaking in the body and blood of Christ, how then can the holy communion aid in forgiveness of sin?

Lets look at the actual words of Christ during the last supper
Matt26:26-28
And while they were eating, Jesus took a piece of bread gave a prayer of thanks, broke it and gave it to his disciples "Take and eat it" he said "This is my body".
27: Then he took a cup, gave thanks to God and gave it to them "Drink it, all of you" he said
28: "this is my blood, which seals God convanant, my blood poured out for many FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS.GNB
Notice that this blood was was poured for the for forgiveness of the sins of "MANY" not all

why is it not for the sins of all but that of many?
This "many" are those who believe and/or those whose sins are venial
(this deserve a thread of it own to be wholely addressed)
for now note the holy communion aids in the forgiveness of sins.

To be continued
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by SalC: 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2013
Continuation.....

IS HOLY COMMUNION NECESSARY OR COMPULSORY?

The words of Christ himself is very clear on this
John6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily Verily i say unto you, EXCEPT ye eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, ye have no life in you KJV

It is also necessary because each time we partake in it, we are proclaiming the Lord's death and making it known and memorable till he comes again
1cor11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread and drink this blood, ye do show the Lord's death till he come KJV
his is in fulfilment of Jesus' instruction when he said "Do this in remembrance of me" Luke22:19b

WHO CAN TAKE IT?

1) Those who have examined their lives and are in a state of grace
1cor 11:28 So then you should all examine yourselves first and then eat the bread and drink from the cup.

2) Those who acknowlege it's importance and meaning
1cor11:29 For if people do not recognize the meaning of the Lord's body when they eat the bread and drink from the cup, they bring judgement on themselves as they eat and drink.GNB

WHEN CAN IT BE TAKEN?

As often as possible
1cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do this to show the Lord's death till he come KJV
So do it when ever you can.

To be continued
Re: How Important Is The Holy Communion? by Funpeter: 1:13am On Jan 03, 2014
Sal C: Continuation.....

IS HOLY COMMUNION NECESSARY OR COMPULSORY?

The words of Christ himself is very clear on this
John6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily Verily i say unto you, EXCEPT ye eat the flesh of the son of man and drink his blood, ye have no life in you KJV

It is also necessary because each time we partake in it, we are proclaiming the Lord's death and making it known and memorable till he comes again
1cor11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread and drink this blood, ye do show the Lord's death till he come KJV
his is in fulfilment of Jesus' instruction when he said "Do this in remembrance of me" Luke22:19b

WHO CAN TAKE IT?

1) Those who have examined their lives and are in a state of grace
1cor 11:28 So then you should all examine yourselves first and then eat the bread and drink from the cup.

2) Those who acknowlege it's importance and meaning
1cor11:29 For if people do not recognize the meaning of the Lord's body when they eat the bread and drink from the cup, they bring judgement on themselves as they eat and drink.GNB

WHEN CAN IT BE TAKEN?

As often as possible
1cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do this to show the Lord's death till he come KJV
So do it when ever you can.

To be continued
Nice one sir.

(1) (Reply)

Do All Religions Practice Witchcraft? / Please Naira Landers Join Me In Crying To God! I Need A Miracle! / Why Is The Geneology Of Virgin Mary A Secret?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.