Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Am I A Deist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Am I A Deist? (2606 Views)

My Experience As A Deist / My Mum Is Threatening To Disown Me Because I Am A Deist / God’s Existence: The Deist Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 10:03pm On Dec 29, 2013
I was born into a christian family and I am still a pentecostal christian but recently my christian life has been on the loosed side.

I believe God exist, I believe he created the world but I don't believe in the doctrines practised in the present day churches.

The church these days are full of hypocrites and immoralities, starting from the people who call themselves pastors. All my life, I've been trying to be a better christian but I've discovered that I am more righteous than the people who I am supposed to emulate in faith.

I've seen so many bad things happening in the house of God and I can't help but wonder if these are the people I'm supposed to be mingling with.

In my school, I know of some girls who are choir members in my fellowship but different guys usually come to bang them on weekly basics, even my friend who is an usher always queried me about why I don't like coming to church but this guy once banged a fellow church member whom he told me about, he also banged another lady who is a choir mistress in the fellowship when they went to camp. This guy is amongst the first set of people who always go to church early and he partakes in almost every activities which the fellowship organises. Unlike me, I rarely pray, read my bible or go to church but I'm more educationally successful than him. We both did pre-degree together but I passed imensely while he failed.

Now, this philosophy has really affected me greatly. I'm at home now and I also do not go to church. My dad has scolded me on countless occasions but to no avail. I believe I don't necessarily have to go to church before I can make heaven, I believe the church is my heart and what I make out of life. I don't need any pastor to tell me what I already know and besides, most pastors are mis-interpreting the bible.

I've searched for the perfect word to described my faith by couldn't find any. I thought I was an atheist, a pagan, an infidel, a free-thinker etc. But after checking their meanings intently none seemed to fit the defination of what I believe.

Recently, I discovered the word 'deism' but it wasen't the exact representation of my stance. It means to believe that God exist, that he created the world but he had since neglected his creatures and dis-associated himself from the happenings within. That's not what I believe, I believe God exist but I don't like going to church. What am I?
Re: Am I A Deist? by MonsieurCoder: 10:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
You are a christian that doesn't like going to church. grin
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 10:16pm On Dec 29, 2013
MonsieurCoder: You are a christian that doesn't like going to church. grin
So when someone ask me about my faith, i am supposed to say ''I am a christian who doesn't like going to church.'' In my opinion, there should be a word for it.
Re: Am I A Deist? by tobillionaire(m): 10:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
go form your own Church
Re: Am I A Deist? by Andyblaze: 10:34pm On Dec 29, 2013
u ar a blazeist angry angry
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 10:43pm On Dec 29, 2013
tobillionaire: go form your own Church
You don't seemed to understand my point. I'm not a pastor neither am i planning to become one. I'm just a christian who doesn't succumbed to the doctrines practised in the church. I also don't believe in tithe.
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 10:45pm On Dec 29, 2013
Andyblaze: u ar a blazeist angry angry
Hahahaha... You coined that word from your name, innit? So, you also don't like going to church.
Re: Am I A Deist? by lanaVello1(m): 11:04pm On Dec 29, 2013
duno....you're prolly lukewarm or somefin.....jezSaying..
Re: Am I A Deist? by FreeGlobe(f): 11:18pm On Dec 29, 2013
This is exactly me. I believe in God, heaven, hell but I don't believe in today's churches. pastors don't practice what they preach and church doctrines are only the views of the pastor or how he understands the Bible whether right or wrong
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 11:32pm On Dec 29, 2013
FreeGlobe: This is exactly me. I believe in God, heaven, hell but I don't believe in today's churches. pastors don't practice what they preach and church doctrines are only the views of the pastor or how he understands the Bible whether right or wrong
It's good to know that people share the same ideology with me, well, since we can't find a term to call ourselves, I suggest we coin a word for it. And ideas?

Mods, please move this topic to the frontpage so we can get more contributions from fellow Nairalanders, Thanks.
Re: Am I A Deist? by Chimaritoponcho: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
serutcip or it didnt happen
Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 29, 2013
Hmmmm,pastor dis,pastor dat,,,dis christian dis,dat christian dat....ah dont know wat to call u but u re goin to account 4 only urself in heaven and hypocrisy in churches wont be an excuse,,if u really love God n u wanna make heaven,try knowin him personally because just being good cant take u dere

1 Like

Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 11:49pm On Dec 29, 2013
Re: Am I A Deist? by Ranchhoddas: 12:54am On Dec 30, 2013
I think this is the category i am leaning towards.i see myself as healthy skeptic,i think that's what you are-A SKEPTIC.I recently came across the term ''liberal christian'' and i'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means but you also try to look it up.
Re: Am I A Deist? by frank317: 4:46am On Dec 30, 2013
Must what u are have a name?

All u need is someone who undaerstans u.

LifE mAkEs morE sense when u understand that u arE nt alone, trust Me, u are not.
Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 4:52am On Dec 30, 2013
You are a Frosbelian. undecided

grin
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 5:59am On Dec 30, 2013
Chimaritoponcho: serutcip or it didnt happen
Funny, a picture of what exactly. That I don't go to church?
Re: Am I A Deist? by fredx4(m): 6:19am On Dec 30, 2013
FreeGlobe: This is exactly me. I believe in God, heaven, hell but I don't believe in today's churches. pastors don't practice what they preach and church doctrines are only the views of the pastor or how he understands the Bible whether right or wrong

Don't throw away the baby with the bath water. True, going to church is not a prerequisite for making heaven but it makes it easier and there is the corporate anointing.
Re: Am I A Deist? by shinechinedu(m): 6:21am On Dec 30, 2013
You re just philosophically above them all!! I can say you are an agnostic! Dude ever since our native doctors became Christians the church have not remained thesame

1 Like

Re: Am I A Deist? by fredx4(m): 6:35am On Dec 30, 2013
@OP. Do you honestly expect every worker in the church to be perfect? Don't let other people's actions decide your fellowship with God. Do you think it is easy to serve God in isolation? Do you understand everything in the bible? God does not call people into ministry(pastors, prophets, apostle, teacher and evangelist) just for the fun of it. They are there to help you develop your faith. Btw attend a pentecostal church not white garments, JW and orthodox churches
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 6:44am On Dec 30, 2013
Elantracey: Hmmmm,pastor dis,pastor dat,,,dis christian dis,dat christian dat....ah dont know wat to call u but u re goin to account 4 only urself in heaven and hypocrisy in churches wont be an excuse,,if u really love God n u wanna make heaven,try knowin him personally because just being good cant take u dere
I agree with your point to a great extent but it still boils down to going to church. Hypocrisy in the church was one the things Men of God preached against in the bible, so when the pastor and other ministers of a church do not live according to what they preach, then what is now the fate of a member? Isn't it the same as not going to church in the first place?

Personally, I won't mind going to church to showcase my dress, to chyke babes or to have fun in general but in the end I'll be fooling myself becaues none of these would help me after-death.

Christianity has gone to the dogs. These days everyone is a pastor, four different people who came to work in my dad's house were claiming to be pastors and they didn't even have a church. One was a carpenter, another was a tiles-man, another was a bricklayer and the last was a painter. This got me wondering, Did God actually called these people?

I'm not even talking about popular pastors buying private jets and exotic cars with offerings. To defend paying of offering and tithes, they'll say the bible said: Give to Ceaser what belonged to Ceaser but the bible didn't made mention of Money.

The other day, there was a thread on frontpage where a lady complained that the wife of her pastor asked her not to address her husband as 'pastor' but 'daddy.' It find it quite funny becaues I can't call my pastor daddy when he is not my father. I could totally relate to her story because most people worship their pastors instead of thier God, one of those people happens to be my mother.

There is a particular church she usually goes apart from the ones my family members attend, she always call the pastor 'daddy' and she is older than him. When anybody has a problem and comes across my mom she'll just suggest they go to that church to see "DADDY" and then there problem will be over.

She also called her jobless brother, my uncle who has been searching for a job to come all the way from Ibadan to come see "DADDY" and he'll definately have a job. It's sometimes annoying because she always says it with a tone of finality, and my uncle is not the only person my mom has taken to that church.

These whole thing is ringing in my head and It's driving me crazy, I refused to be dogmatic and I refused to be gullible.

I'm a christian but I don't like going to church.
Re: Am I A Deist? by shinechinedu(m): 6:48am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4: Btw attend a pentecostal church not white garments, JW and autodus churches
now you just displayed how ignorant,brainwashed and silly person that you are!! Is it not thesame pentecostal churches that is ruining Nigeria and the world in general When only the orthodox churches existed in this country wasn't there a better polity than this one?? My friend grow up and read between the lines! I think there should be a law to check the number of churches in the country cos they are just too much and making unnecessary noises! Even a carpenter can wake up and start a church! Or are u meaning to tell me that God sees more in this generation that he is calling almost everybody to be a pastor?? Imagine ID cabassa a pastor

1 Like

Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 6:54am On Dec 30, 2013
Ranchhoddas: I think this is the category i am leaning towards.i see myself as healthy skeptic,i think that's what you are-A SKEPTIC.I recently came across the term ''liberal christian'' and i'm still trying to figure out exactly what it means but you also try to look it up.
Thanks, I've checked the both of them. I think I prefer the skeptic-christian to the liberal-christian.
Re: Am I A Deist? by ooman(m): 6:56am On Dec 30, 2013
You are on your way to becoming reasonable.

2 Likes

Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 7:00am On Dec 30, 2013
ooman: You are on your way to becoming reasonable.

Chair, best of the season. How u dey?
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 7:02am On Dec 30, 2013
shinechinedu: You re just philosophically above them all!! I can say you are an agnostic! Dude ever since our native doctors became Christians the church have not remained thesame
True talk brother. An agnostic is quite similar to a skeptic, it only shows we're getting somewhere.
Re: Am I A Deist? by fredx4(m): 7:05am On Dec 30, 2013
shinechinedu: now you just displayed how ignorant,brainwashed and silly person that you are!! Is it not thesame pentecostal churches that is ruining Nigeria and the world in general When only the orthodox churches existed in this country wasn't there a better polity than this one?? My friend grow up and read between the lines! I think there should be a law to check the number of churches in the country cos they are just too much and making unnecessary noises! Even a carpenter can wake up and start a church! Or are u meaning to tell me that God sees more in this generation that he is calling almost everybody to be a pastor?? Imagine ID cabassa a pastor

Am not saying it's wrong to attend catholic, it's just too risky for a baby christian. Pentecostal churches teach the word of God, which is necessary for a young christian.
Re: Am I A Deist? by fredx4(m): 7:07am On Dec 30, 2013
ooman: You are on your way to becoming reasonable.

He's on his way to hellfire.
Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 30, 2013
You are a religious deist?
Re: Am I A Deist? by skyscraperTM(m): 7:21am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4: Do you honestly expect every worker in the church to be perfect?
No, I don't. But I expect the leader of a church to be perfect to a reasonable extent.

fredx4: Don't let other people's actions decide your fellowship with God.
My fellowship with God has not ceased, it continues but in a more secluded manner.

fredx4: Do you think it is easy to serve God in isolation? Do you understand everything in the bible?
I actually thing it's more easy to serve God in isolation and I don't know everything in the bible, neither does anybody else.

fredx4: God does not call people into ministry(pastors, prophets, apostle, teacher and evangelist) just for the fun of it. They are there to help you develop your faith.
Out of 80% of pastors how many did God actually called? It's just like a blind-man leading someone to cross a road.

fredx4: Btw attend a pentecostal church not white garments, JW and orthodox churches
I'll already stated that I am a pentecostal christian, never attended a white-garment church before, never will.
Re: Am I A Deist? by shinechinedu(m): 7:23am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

Am not saying it's wrong to attend catholic, it's just too risky for a baby christian. Pentecostal churches teach the word of God, which is necessary for a young christian.
. There is no word like "baby Christian" a Christian is a Christian! What u mean is " a wanna be Christian" which I think is predominant in this country! U can hardly find a Christian in Nigeria so where the hell did all these pentecostal pastors come from! Its not about fasting for weeks or just ministering something that some people find motivating(even a motivational speaker does this daily). A lot has to be done before you are called a Christian-things that if you want to adhere to them, you wouldn't even be on nairaland!!! Those pastors are just wanna be Christians! I'm not catholic or jw but I can tell you that these two groups of faith are more advanced spiritually than all the pentecostal churches in this world put together!
Re: Am I A Deist? by Nobody: 7:25am On Dec 30, 2013
fredx4:

What? And catholics preach the word of Satan??

What is this one saying? Your pentecostal churches that preach money money money

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do You Have Strange Spiritual Gifts? Come In And Share Your Experiences. / A Message From Stephen Hawking In HELL / ~@>Real Husband Of Rahab The Harlot: ~@

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.