Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:31 PM

Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual (5578 Views)

When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. / What Ancient Car Do You Still Drive And Find It Fanciful? / Is It Safe To Stick Stickers On Your Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by tonychristopher: 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2013
Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Stick
Top 10: Reasons Real Men Drive Stick
An automatic transmission is a fine accessory to have -- if you consider the
application of concealer to be a vital part of your daily routine. Automatic
transmissions are for those who find driving to be a confusing task, for those
who need to focus 100% on pushing one pedal, but unfortunately find
themselves frequently distracted by things like cell phones, makeup, favorite
food items, and things that are shiny. One of the obvious downsides to this
propensity to distraction is, when it comes time for these drivers to gently tug
the steering wheel to either the left or right, they end up crashing into moving
cars, parked cars or anything in their immediate vicinity.
Rather than admit that driving is a skill that needs to be practiced and
mastered, the people who favor automatic transmissions blame their poor
driving skills on everyone and everything else. “The tree jumped out into the
middle of the road!” they will exclaim, quickly followed by a cry of, “There was
no way to avoid it!” Of course, these drivers will be sure to omit the fact that
they were texting, checking their lip gloss, and/or trying to master the use of
the sippy cup holding their double tall nonfat chai latte.
You’ll never see a real man commit any of the driving atrocities mentioned
above, because real men drive cars with manual transmissions. Real men
understand that cars need three pedals, otherwise the vehicle is nothing more
than a fancy golf cart. Men understand that driving is a skill, and that the best
way to master this skill is to maintain absolute control of all aspects of a car
at all times. If you think it’s better to let the car tell you what to do, you may
as well turn in your testicles so that they don’t get in the way of your
marathon sessions of watching The View .
Someone surely got excited by our mention of The View , and it is to this
person we humbly suggest that they put down the Appletini and check out our
list of the top 10 reasons real men drive stick.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 10:27pm On Dec 29, 2013
Sorry to say but what u wrote is utter rubbish. Are u trying to tell me manual cars don't have cup holders? Or those cops in the states that eat sandwich and coffee while patrolling don't drive manual cars? Driving manual vs auto is a thing of choice, it doesn't make one a better driver than the other. Some people have passion for stick cars while some feel it doesn't worth the stress driving a shift when technology has made things easier, so why not enjoy it? Go and watch the movie fast and furious 6, most of the cars used are automatic and they were driven by world class professional drivers. So according to u those men are not real drivers?

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2013
@ tonychristopher, why bother to write this utter rubbish? In a bid to discredit drivers of Auto tranny you ended up opening a thread filled with ignorance and "incomprehensible gibberish" (sic).
I'm sure you're one of those wide-mouthed fellas who don't know even how to turn an ignition. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 11:26pm On Dec 29, 2013
I prefer manual to auto, though one of my cars is an automatic.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 11:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
@op, so if someone is rich enough to buy a Mercedes Benz s class then automatically that makes him a weak and lazy man.. Because last time i checked newer models of Mercedes Benz s class comes only with automatic transmission. As a matter of fact most luxury cars come with automatic transmission. Even performance cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini are gradually ditching manual for auto.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by milkymesh: 6:25am On Dec 30, 2013
This smacks of someone with inferiority complex. Please, using a manual transmission does not make u inferior. Manual transmission vehicle/ Cars are not inferior to auto and vice versa. It a matter of chioce and preference.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by kenyarttar: 8:54am On Dec 30, 2013
Siena: I prefer manual to auto, though one of my cars is an automatic.

Uhm, i'm surprised.

Personally like every Nigerian I learnt to drive with manual and extensively used one in my day to day job for over a year. But no doubts about it Auto transmissions makes driving easier and a pleasure. Life is short, why exert energy pressing the clutch and changing gears all the time, especially in serious hold up situation when you could save that energy for other important things. I think people should compulsorily learn with manual but switch to auto as soon as they're very comfortable on the steering.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 30, 2013
kenyarttar:

Uhm, i'm surprised.

Personally like every Nigerian I learnt to drive with manual and extensively used one in my day to day job for over a year. But no doubts about it Auto transmissions makes driving easier and a pleasure. Life is short, why exert energy pressing the clutch and changing gears all the time, especially in serious hold up situation when you could save that energy for other important things. I think people should compulsorily learn with manual but switch to auto as soon as they're very comfortable on the steering.

A Lot of Nigerians learnt the art/act of driving with manual transmission back in those days and they still do till date. Although I drive auto tranny these days, but don't be fooled, I still push em manual shifters very well.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Ninilowo(m): 9:27am On Dec 31, 2013
OP is a typical Nigerian that fail to move with technology. Something is designed to ease off stress and you ve turned it to a device for lazy fellows. If you are so strong then you dont need to drive around just make use of your legs. Too dogmatic and allergic to change!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Lexusgs430: 10:11am On Dec 31, 2013
I love my stick-shift. If you drive any thing that shifts like a sports car, manual is best !!!!
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ninilowo: OP is a typical Nigerian that fail to move with technology. Something is designed to ease off stress and you ve turned it to a device for lazy fellows. If you are so strong then you dont need to drive around just make use of your legs. Too dogmatic and allergic to change!

Whilst I don't agree with the OP's write-up, stress is relative. I don't find driving a manual "stressful" in any way. Operating a clutch, and shifting gears manually can only be "stressful" IF you've conditioned yourself to believe getting to grips with a manual is hard work.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Ikenna351(m): 7:05pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ninilowo: OP is a typical Nigerian that fail to move with technology. Something is designed to ease off stress and you ve turned it to a device for lazy fellows. If you are so strong then you dont need to drive around just make use of your legs. Too dogmatic and allergic to change!

"move with technology"

We can really be ignorant, and the worst part is that we gloat with it. So many times, you read Nigerian comments here how some people have refused to adapt to change; to something new, by refusing to switch to auto tranny, while they stick to manual tranny. Then i would ask, "since when did auto transmission become new technology"?

Peugeot 404 was produced in 1960 with both manual tranny and 3-speed auto tranny (ZF). Now, what makes something that has been in existence since the '60s new? Let's not forget that Peugeot would likely not be the first car manufacturer that introduced car with auto tranny. Meaning, auto tranny would likely be in existence before 1960. So, what "moving with technology " are we talking about? Or do you think the manual transmission in the '60s is the same with present manual trannies, no improvement ? I would suggest we stop embarrassing ourselves before the foreigners that visit this section as guest, with ridiculous information.

Ikenna
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by kablooee: 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ikenna351:

"move with technology"

We can really be ignorant, and the worst part is that we gloat with it. So many times, you read Nigerian comments here how some people have refused to adapt to change; to something new, by refusing to switch to auto tranny, while they stick to manual tranny. Then i would ask, "since when did auto transmission become new technology"?

Peugeot 404 was produced in 1960 with both manual tranny and 3-speed auto tranny (ZF). Now, what makes something that has been in existence since the '60s new? Let's not forget that Peugeot would likely not be the first car manufacturer that introduced car with auto tranny. Meaning, auto tranny would likely be in existence before 1960. So, what "moving with technology " are we talking about? Or do you think the manual transmission in the '60s is the same with present manual trannies, no improvement ? I would suggest we stop embarrassing ourselves before the foreigners that visit this section as guest, with ridiculous information.

Ikenna
You're so on point. I've got both auto and manual trans but I prefer the manual. I enjoy being in control.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Ikenna351(m): 7:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
In Australia, anyone that learns how to drive with auto tranny car only will be given partial driver's licence. Meaning, you are not allowed to drive a manual tranny car with the partial licence (have forgotten the name they call the partial licence ). For such a person to start driving manual tranny, he/she will have to undergo another training with manual transmission. He/she will be tested and will granted th full driver's licence, to allow him/her to drive manual transmission cars on public roads.

But any Australian that learns how to drive with manual tranny, he will be issued full driver's licence, to drive both auto and manual cars.

Not long ago, someone wanted to start my 406 v6, to hear how the engine note is. I was standing beside the car. Suddenly , the car started jerking forward while he was cranking the engine. And there was a car parked in front. I had to rush into the car to pull the hand brake, which if i had not done that, my car would have rear end the car in front. Guess what happened ? The guy attempted to start the car while the 1st gear was still engaged. Because to him, he thought it was in "Park", just like the auto trannies. This guy owns and have driven his auto tranny car for more than 5 years, yet he couldn't start a manual tranny car. I get it, he should still be called a driver because he can move the steering wheel while car is in motion. Talk about who is a true driver!

If i were Federal govt, I would make it compulsory for driving schools to teach with manual tranny for the 1st 3 weeks, and conclude the lesson with auto tranny the 4th week. A lot of driving skills are imbibed when learning how to drive with stick cars.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ikenna351: In Australia, anyone that learns how to drive with auto tranny car only will be given partial driver's licence. Meaning, you are not allowed to drive a manual tranny car with the partial licence (have forgotten the name they call the partial licence ). For such a person to start driving manual tranny, he/she will have to undergo another training with manual transmission. He/she will be tested and will granted th full driver's licence, to allow him/her to drive manual transmission cars on public roads.

But any Australian that learns how to drive with manual tranny, he will be issued full driver's licence, to drive both auto and manual cars.

Not long ago, someone wanted to start my 406 v6, to hear how the engine note is. I was standing beside the car. Suddenly , the car started jerking forward while he was cranking the engine. And there was a car parked in front. I had to rush into the car to pull the hand brake, which if i had not done that, my car would have rear end the car in front. Guess what happened ? The guy attempted to start the car while the 1st gear was still engaged. Because to him, he thought it was in "Park", just like the auto trannies. This guy owns and have driven his auto tranny car for more than 5 years, yet he couldn't start a car. I get it, he have should still be called a driver because he can move the steering wheel while car is in motion.

If i were Federal govt, I would make it compulsory for driving schools to teach with manual tranny for the 1st 3 weeks, and conclude the lesson with auto tranny the 4th week. A lot of driving skills are imbibed when learning how to drive with stick cars.

Ikenna

Driving schools in Nigeria don't teach with auto tranny, they all use manual to teach. I think the only person embarrassing himself here is the op. Driving manual vs auto is a thing of choice. Driving manual doesn't make someone a superman, neither does driving auto make someone a dummy
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Ikenna351(m): 9:51pm On Dec 31, 2013
abatically:

Driving schools in Nigeria don't teach with auto tranny, they all use manual to teach.

I wonder which Nigeria you were referring to? The one on planet Earth or maybe one in Pluto? Because am sure it's not the Nigeria on Earth.

Driving schools in Nigeria don't teach with auto tranny indeed!

Ikenna
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 11:12pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ikenna351:

I wonder which Nigeria you were referring to? The one on planet Earth or maybe one in Pluto? Because am sure it's not the Nigeria on Earth.

Ikenna

ok,maybe i may be wrong on that. All driving schools ive seen in Lagos though use manual tranny. I still maintain my point that driving a manual car does not make someone a superman, neither does driving an automatic make someone inferior.

According to Wards automotive yearbook of 1958, it says that by 1957, 82.7% of cars made in the usa are fitted with automatic transmission. Statistics also show that in recent years only about 4% of American cars come with manual tranny. Now i know ur next comment will be is usa the only country in the world? My answer to that would be 'is Peugeot the only car in the world? U always reference to Peugeot in all ur comments, so i can also use usa as my own case study. Lets do a little research, go outside and count every car u see (lets say from 96 upwards, excluding taxis, busses and trucks) from hatchbacks to sedans ro suv , then tell me if 8 out of 10 cars are not automatics. Is driving stick a necessary skill? The answer is yes. Is it a compulsory skill? The answer is no. Does it make someone a better driver? The answer is no. The first 2 cars i bought were manual and my subsequent cars are automatic. I don't think i will ever buy a manual car again unless its a rare model with sentimental attachment.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by kenyarttar: 4:15am On Jan 01, 2014
Ikenna351 you sound hot headed and boastful. Possibly because our Oga Siena said he liked manual. But may i remind you that he also said

Siena:

... stress is relative. I don't find driving a manual "stressful" in any way. Operating a clutch, and shifting gears manually can only be "stressful" IF you've conditioned yourself to believe getting to grips with a manual is hard work.

Meaning he's a super man!

Which also means Auto's were created to make driving more pleasurable, so yes they are generally a technological improvement on the average over manuals.

I say once again, life is short no time for long thing. "Learn with a manual then switch to Auto". Peace!
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Ikenna351(m): 6:14am On Jan 01, 2014
kenyarttar: Ikenna351 you sound hot headed and boastful. Possibly because our Oga Siena said he liked manual. But may i remind you that he also said

Meaning he's a super man!

Which also means Auto's were created to make driving more pleasurable, so yes they are generally a technological improvement on the average over manuals.

I say once again, life is short no time for long thing. "Learn with a manual then switch to Auto". Peace!

However you define me makes no meaning to me. But what i find interesting is what you said about me making those comments because Siena liked manual transmission. Am sorry disappoint you, because am not one of the zombies that suck up to people or have no mind of their own by playing solidarity just to be associated with someone.

You need to pay attention in Car Talk, if you care, because it's obvious you really don't know me. I jumped because Siena jumped indeed !

Earlier in the thread, i posted my observation about Nigerians and auto transmission; about how someone wanted to crash my car because gear 1 meant "Park" to him, after more than 5 years of driving; made a suggestion what should be used or taught in driving schools. I didn't come to this thread to debate manual vs auto transmissions or why you chose to drive auto tranny. I didn't consult Nairaland while choosing my current Lions and the one i have had. So am not interested or here to debate why you chose auto tranny over manual. So please, spare me your "Life is short".

Ikenna
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by aieromon(m): 8:09am On Jan 01, 2014
Ikenna351:

Ikenna

I haven't come across any driving school in Lagos that teaches driving with an auto transmission car. It seems times are changing. I assume it may be at the request of the learner driver who already has a vehicle fitted with automatic transmission. I will still regard such a person as a learner.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Originalsly: 12:56am On Jan 02, 2014
Hmmm....I guess Mercedes S63 AMG is not a car for real men. I do love driving stick shift but when it comes to everyday stop and go city driving stick shift is torture.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 02, 2014
Originalsly: Hmmm....I guess Mercedes S63 AMG is not a car for real men. I do love driving stick shift but when it comes to everyday stop and go city driving stick shift is torture.

I laugh in the language spoken in planet Mars. That S63 AMG a V8 natural air breather (although merc have a V12 AMG) is comparable to V12 biturbo BMW760Li. Now when it comes to speed, these vehicles will forget that a porsche 911 turbo was at the start line with them (they have blistering speed). You need to see what Topgear's 'stig' did to those limousines some manuals can't even get close to achieving such performance.
Those cars will naturally make any manual go green with envy ... Trust me
But then, don't be fooled, those cars have tiptronic tranny + sportsmode. smiley
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by lonelydora: 6:35am On Jan 02, 2014
I prefer Manual for Highway and Auto for city driving.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by itsmayiela(m): 8:36am On Jan 02, 2014
if u are the type that wants the car to be in charge of your speed, then auto is your call. If you truly want to be in total control of your engine, then manual tranny is the best.
If you want your senses to be alert at all times while driving, go for manual. If you want to relax ur muscles and senses while driving (and possibly fall asleep on the wheel), then go for auto.
As for me, i love sleeping while driving and thats why i prefer auto to manual.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 02, 2014
The Op is a foool! Period! He is stupid. I learned how to drive with a Toyota Corolla 1979 model hooked to a manual tranny. I drove that shiit of a car for years, rocked it like anything before I dump the shiit. All in my home drove manual before. My mom drove manual from 1977 to 2003 before she dumped manual finally. My dad drove manual from when he was young until he dumped the shiit in 2003 for an auto car. Presently, there are 3 cars at home that belong to my parent, all auto. 2 mercedes and 1 volvo. I drive a camry 96 presently auto though saving to get an E350 auto soon. My younger bro drives a C class 200 w 202 auto. All of us used manuals before. Bullshiiit. Some people are just idiiots and they wanna ramm their own nonsense down our throats. who cares if somebody drives a Peugoet, or somebody drives a fkkin Benz, or somebody drives a Beemer or an Audi. Bullshiits aint choice made by people based on personal preference. I aint touching a useless manual and whoever drives them manual shud just shove it. And you know where! Trash.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 02, 2014
aieromon:

I haven't come across any driving school in Lagos that teaches driving with an auto transmission car. It seems times are changing. I assume it may be at the request of the learner driver who already has a vehicle fitted with automatic transmission. I will still regard such a person as a learner.
I live in Lagos, Ogun, Ekiti, Ondo and Oyo, don't ask me why I have many places, and I too have never come across any driving school that has a car fitted to an auto tranny in it collection to. May be they have in the eastern part of Nigeria and Abuja.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 9:19am On Jan 02, 2014
tpacalipse: I live in Lagos, Ogun, Ekiti, Ondo and Oyo, don't ask me why I have many places, and I too have never come across any driving school that has a car fitted to an auto tranny in it collection to. May be they have in the eastern part of Nigeria and Abuja.

Well ask Ikenna. I think he knows all. I live in Lagos and have never seen a registered driving school that teaches with auto tranny.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by abatically(m): 9:22am On Jan 02, 2014
itsmayiela: If you want to relax ur muscles and senses while driving (and possibly fall asleep on the wheel), then go for auto.
As for me, i love sleeping while driving and thats why i prefer auto to manual.

If u are the type that sleeps while driving then u are not worthy to hold the steering. There are long stretch of roads whereby while driving manual u can go for like 30 mins without even touching the stick. So I don't get this logic about auto being for lazy people.
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Nobody: 9:33am On Jan 02, 2014
abatically:

Well ask Ikenna. I think he knows all. I live in Lagos and have never seen a registered driving school that teaches with auto tranny.

Well I live in Abuja lipsrsealed
and I've seen some driving school also incorporate auto tranny. I've seen a 2010 silver coloured camry, a maroon coloured 2003 highlander and a brown sienna 2002 used for learning, all these are auto tranny. And I'm like WTF! No wonder Abuja have lots of stewpid drivers embarassed angry
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Lagusta(m): 12:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
I love manual tranny, but like someone rightly said, I believe driving auto or manual is a thing of choice.....

but I believe auto tranny is meant for ladies and sissies.... no pun intended!!

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by edoyad(m): 10:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
OK, let me settle this. If you think Schumacher(praying for his recovery), Hamilton, Vettel and Button are better drivers than Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton and Miley Cyrus say "I". If you disagree say "nay".
Now I want us think which of the groups belong to Auto Tranny and which drive manual grin grin
Re: Reasons Why Real Men Still Drive Stick Cars .....manual by Lagusta(m): 10:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
edoyad: OK, let me settle this. If you think Schumacher(praying for his recovery), Hamilton, Vettel and Button are better drivers than Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton and Miley Cyrus say "I". If you disagree say "nay".
Now I want us think which of the groups belong to Auto Tranny and which drive manual grin grin

or Who is better between Jason statham and uche jombo!!! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Change Your Car Tyre On Your Own / Help , Accura Mdx 2008 Showing Check Transmission With Flashing D (shift) Lever / What Used Car To Buy In Nigeria With 1.2m Either Lexus Or Toyota Or Honda Evil S

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.