Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,406 members, 7,800,834 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? - Travel (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? (48025 Views)

Which Country Do You Prefere To Imigrate To USA Or UK? / A Nigerian Died Because A Racist Malaysian Hospital Refused Him Treatment(Video) / What Are The Most RACIST Countries? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by emmasege: 9:20am On Jan 02, 2014
UK definitely is.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by CHAIRMAN1(m): 9:24am On Jan 02, 2014
you my brother are spot on!
the brits are xenophobic in the most subtle from
mickyarams: It's the UK my brother. In US the racists let you know they hate you in your face, in UK they drink with you and call you mate and stab you in the back. London is ok, but avoid places like Tilbury and Basildon.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jan 02, 2014
Mr Mac-10:
bro u still dey Yankee

yea..why?
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by niyitogun(m): 9:46am On Jan 02, 2014
PocketEconomist: oh that's interesting. And what are we doing about it? We are busy tearing each other down. We should learn from the Asians. If you school in the US, and you see the relationship between the Asians, especially the indians, pakis and koreans, and see the relationship between the Nigerians, you would be ASHAMED to be Nigerian. Truth hurts but must be told.

On the contrary i think Asians dislike each other the most. The Japanese, Chinese and koreans all look down on each other and try to prove they are superior to one another. They don't mix from my experience. My Asian friends also tell me this. However Asians from the same country are more united and form stronger social groups than other races so it depends on the angle you view it from. The indians and pakis are however more friendly to others.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MrMac10(m): 10:00am On Jan 02, 2014
milehigh06:

yea..why?
ur suspicion of naija folks is too much calm down bro I dey MD
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by claremont(m): 10:02am On Jan 02, 2014
Italiano1:

Very funny comparison.

But to answer your question, Idris Elba, Ejiofor Chiwetel, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, etc etc
To be fair, the first two you mentioned only hit it big when they migrated to America. I have watched Idris Elba say in an interview that the movie industry in the UK is skewed to favour the white man.

It is very easy for me to say I work in so and so place, and I earn so and so, and then argue (albeit selfishly) that racism is not a barrier to progress in the UK; but the question is, what about the multitude of Nigerians and Africans I see every day with Masters degrees who work as bouncers, Security guards, Taxi drivers, and even Care workers (glorified shit cleaner!)?! These people never chose to do these jobs, it is the system that has forced them to do these jobs in order to pay their bills.

Let's be honest with this issue please. I live and work in the UK, but I refuse to believe anyone who says that there are more opportunities for blacks here as compared to America. Racism exists in most developed countries, but on the balance of available statistics, I still think America is more liberalised when compared to the UK.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jan 02, 2014
niyitogun:

On the contrary i think Asians dislike each other the most. The Japanese, Chinese and koreans all look down on each other and try to prove they are superior to one another. They don't mix from my experience. My Asian friends also tell me this. However Asians from the same country are more united and form stronger social groups than other races so it depends on the angle you view it from. The indians and pakis are however more friendly to others.
you may be right, but from my experience, the chinese co operate, the indians/pakis co operate, but the Nigerians? I don't go near, they are nothing but trouble, always trying to show off and prove they've arrived. Smh, inferiority complex. I have more hispanic/asian/white friends than Nigerians/black and to be truthful, i feel more comfortable this way.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MrMac10(m): 10:39am On Jan 02, 2014
Nigerians should learn to bond better we might not be perfect but we are human beings let's help each other in diaspora and home let's keep differences aside to forge ahead enough of I don't trust naija guys Bleep that I ve had cold experiences with naijs guys but we still chop it up as pals
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by babaeko1: 11:06am On Jan 02, 2014
Having seen things from the 2 countries, here is my view:

UK: Opportunities are plenty as long as you are focused, and try to stay away from all the things that will tempt you. There is a natural glass ceiling unless you run your own business etc. Racism exists, depends on where you go, the more you move away from town or mixed areas, the more likely you are to experience racism. Some white folks will even tell you they have never spoken to a black person before, and even ask questions like, do black people eat food or do they know how to speak english. Another important factor is that if you speak to the middle class or rich white people, they are mostly not racist because they do not feel threathened by the average non-white trying to make a living etc (they are privately educated, have family connections, in line for massive inheritance etc), if you speak to the unskilled white people, these are the ones that do not feel comfy with immigrants because they feel that the little low end opportunities available for them are being grabbed by non-whites. UK is a country where non-whites are viewed with suspicion when they are mega rich, unles of course you are a self made biz man.

US: In US, its a bit more different you have situations where a black guy can be racist to another black guy because one is black American and the other is black African. Racism here is more to your face and thats just the way of life here, its accepted there that blacks are low-lifers and they should not complain and get on with it. Due to its sheer size and population as well, racism is not treated as a very bidg deal, could be because of historical attitudes etc. On the other hand, USA is a country built by immigrants, so its not a big deal if an average black folk lives a rich comfy life, its not a big deal here. The reason is that again as long as you are focused, the sky is the limit. I dont think the UK can ever have a black PM, its not a big deal since the white folks still control the black guy we have in the white house, so dont let us get too excited here.

Conclusion: The 2 countries are racist, it just takes different forms and how you conduct yourself.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by LBT: 11:39am On Jan 02, 2014
marshborn:
Poverty is a disease
its a free world: many people amongst us have visited over 5 different countries but have not been to the US or Uk based on choice not money eg. me; I went to all the countries have been to with my wife and children, so its based on choice even when we have siblings, friends and lots of other family members who are mostly citizens and other who are resident in both countries. Happy New Year.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by cap28: 11:54am On Jan 02, 2014
igbo2011:

I love the way you think, I wish more people thought like you.

Cheers bro and compliments of the season!

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by azjaponnaisnoir(m): 12:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
@ gray 10; i actually didn't know you were english teacher lol cheesy idt give a fck abt wot am typin' here; i know when we talk of english u can't stand me
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by ibrokola(m): 12:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
I believe the UK is more racist than the US!
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by khiaa(f): 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
Duch2010:

What is wrong with some people?Why are you displaying your ignorance and stupidity?Auckland is in New Zealand and that's where I suppose the writer lives..are you saying Auckland does not exist or what?There is a saying that there is no fool like a big fool!

The saying goes, There's no fool like an OLD fool.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Lanceslot(m): 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
Jeezy:

Lol. True, but the nicca got 67 like grin grin grin

The disease is festering undecided
He now has 300+ likes, that's to show you how the disease (poverty) is more deadly than HIV.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by khiaa(f): 12:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
worry 359: Looking at the replies to this thread I think it should be altered!
Do Africans bring their own racism to UK & USA?

100% on point.

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
PocketEconomist: you may be right, but from my experience, the chinese co operate, the indians/pakis co operate, but the Nigerians? I don't go near, they are nothing but trouble, always trying to show off and prove they've arrived. Smh, inferiority complex. I have more hispanic/asian/white friends than Nigerians/black and to be truthful, i feel more comfortable this way.
u are right we nigerians lack cooperation and are after each others head
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by rattlesnake(m): 1:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
milehigh06:
yea..why?
ure a paranoid son of a......I hate paranoia
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by newReal(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2014
i don`t think there is a country in the world where racism does not exist.
We also treat the Niger`s in Nigeria with a degree of discrimination.
But to think of it, i will say the atmosphere in the UK is more conducive in terms of job. The U.S shows discrimination when it comes to jobs, but is more tolerant in other aspects. i`ve stayed in the U.S for over 7years.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by BlueMagic2(m): 1:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
Nigeria
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by BlueMagic2(m): 1:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
Nigeria. Nigerians even treat Lebanese, chinese, indians & in general foreigners better than Nigerian citizens
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 2:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
claremont:
To be fair, the first two you mentioned only hit it big when they migrated to America. I have watched Idris Elba say in an interview that the movie industry in the UK is skewed to favour the white man.
It is very easy for me to say I work in so and so place, and I earn so and so, and then argue (albeit selfishly) that racism is not a barrier to progress in the UK; but the question is, what about the multitude of Nigerians and Africans I see every day with Masters degrees who work as bouncers, Security guards, Taxi drivers, and even Care workers. These people never chose to do these jobs, it is the system that has forced them to do these jobs in order to pay their bills.
Let's be honest with this issue please. I live and work in the UK, but I refuse to believe anyone who says that there are more opportunities for blacks here as compared to America. Racism exists in most developed countries, but on the balance of available statistics, I still think America is more liberalised when compared to the UK.
A very misleading post.Where do you work in fact? To be honest it would be more enlightening for readers if you were to talk about your own experiences of racism in England rather than just making assumptions about other Nigerians that work in England.
There are many reasons why people are working as security guards taxi drivers and care workers. It could be lack of papers, ignorance of viable job opportunities,lack of professional qualifications, lack of funds for further study, family pressures back home, lack of technical skills,etc
You cannot just assume that people that work in those areas do so because they are victims of racism. Having a "masters" does not give anybody a right to a prestiguous job in England nor does having a masters preclude the fact that the person is content with the job he currently has as long as it pays the bills.
There is nothing wrong with people giving their own personal experience of life in England or America and using it to rebut the preconceived notions and negative ideas that people have been spewing here.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by khiaa(f): 2:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
Idrismusty97: Anyone who said the UK have racism haven't been to places like Poland where there are only 3000 blacks.You would be stared at like some sort of alien grin.American is the most tolerant place even do slavery started their.

Slavery didn't start in America before it did in the UK, are you kidding me? The British left England for America to escape oppression, and the ignorant baboons came here and became the oppressor of Africans, and Indians (native americans).
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by dasparrow: 2:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
@Post

I lived in England briefly as a young child but have lived in America for quite a long time as an adult. I am not sure whether US or UK is more racist. Personally, I think that both countries are equally racist but go about racism in different ways. I know for a fact that USA is a very racist country. My goodness! The racism there can make one loose it if one is not careful.

@Cap28

Happy new year and I enjoyed reading your contributions on this thread and agree 100& with your point of view as always. Keep up the good work!
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by tensor77(m): 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
PocketEconomist: Why the black in the USA remain down is because they CHOSE to be down. They say slavery, bla bla bla. My people (IGBO) lost everything 40 years ago, were excluded covertly from a lot of things, coupled with an unfair quota system(a hausa man score 50 stands a better chance than an igbo man who scores 110 in national exams) but we refused to be down, we fought our way through and 40 years later, we are better off economically and educationally. If the Afro americans can adopt such attitude, they will be better off.
But truly slavery can no longer be held as an excuse. I don't know of any serious intellectual in America uses that as an excuse. We shouldn't get things twisted and be very honest. Forget about the extreme views of posters like Cap28.
The single cause of the challenges in black America is neither racism or slavery but the breakdown of the family unit.
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 3:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
milehigh06:

Sorry to say,I really dont fuq with Nigerians here for some very simple and sensible reasons
1: when one knows where you stay,expect that one to bring about 3 more people to your house
2: too fuqing loud
3: broke people who act like they own the world
4: too many Nigerians in the same place is bound to bring cop activity
5: over posing when most of them no even get any paper
6: Back stabbing your fellow Nigerians all for paper (not happened to mebut heard numerous stories)
cogent cognition u cited
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by free13: 3:39pm On Jan 02, 2014
ok
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by SpicyMimi(f): 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2014
U.k
Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by toshmann(m): 5:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
I have lived in the UK, I have studied in the UK and I have worked in the UK.

Today, I live in the US, I have studied in the US and I work in the US.

Let me be clear, it's annoying comparing two racists who is worse, BUT make no mistake, the UK is more racist than the US. Americans are open, if they hate you, they let you know immediately that they hate you.

The UK, they'll drink and dance with you, while they'll do worse behind your back. As a black person you stand a better chance in the US than the UK. Period.

Also in the US, if fear catch you too much you enter shop go collect ya own gun to protect yourself grin

1 Like

Re: USA Or England: Which Is The More Racist Country? by imperiouxx(m): 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
Mr Mac-10:
Hey yo from what you said that Nigerians don't like staying in sane neighborhood with fellow naija folks it depend on personal experiences like when I went to a Nigerian church most of em were carrying themselves like demi gods damn this is America when nobody dey look your naija face Some Nigerians have very stinky attitude

I haven't lived within large Nigerian population here but I know what they are capable of doing.

First they will want to know how many years you've lived here and take it as a big deal...... Holy fucck! It's not about how many years you've lived here but what you've gained within few years of living here.

That's all the more reason those US based Nigerian ladies and their Nigerian ego stink parents are not appealing to me.

If you were not born in the US but only waka with your legs like I do........ Fucck off! Don't brag to me, we are the same. You only got here before I do.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Pictures Of Cape Town , South Africa / Nigerian Men Placed In Handcuffs As They Are Deported From China. Photos / Video Of Stranded Nigerians, Africans At Ukraine/Poland Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.