Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,787 members, 7,802,459 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Challenges I Encountered As A Corper Serving In NE Nigeria? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Challenges I Encountered As A Corper Serving In NE Nigeria? (1100 Views)

RiversRerun: NYSC Confirms Killing Of A Corper During Election / This Corp Member Serving In Akwa Ibom State Is Missing / Embarrasing: See What A Corper Posted On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Challenges I Encountered As A Corper Serving In NE Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 30, 2013
One of my most challenging moments as a corper was simply refusing to pick-up redeployment form during orientation at the NYSC camp despite having many offers to choose any choice state for redeployment.
I served in one of the three Federal Govt. decleared emergency states in the North East of Nigeria.
It was indeed a life and fascinating experience as I experienced the following challenges:
1) Rumours of Bomb Blast by Boko Haram (BH).
Everyday in camp, we kept on hearing rumours of BH coming to attack us. We often read on our phones (after goggle searching), of bomb blast that just occurred in various parts of the state (O.B.S. Kept them secret). It was scary to all corp members and this motivated more than three quarter of corp members to pick up redeployment forms which they finally left this region.
Even after orientation, we frequently heard of rumours of bomb blast in neighbouring towns. This scared me and encouraged me to hold strongly to God as I always made this statement, " the God that brought me would safely take me back home". He finally brought me safely after one whole year.
2) Extreme High Temperature of the Weather.
This was a huge challenge as the sun in this region is capable of dehydrating you and even making you to lose 3 - 4 kg in a day.
During camping, our faces were mostly deformed and our body colours turned very black as a result of the harsh sun rays pearcing the skin. You dare not walk on bare foot.
Towards the month of March and April, the heat you would experience at night during sleep is terrible. There were no much trees and you can't even feel air when you manually fan yourself (lol). The worst of all is power failure. Until my departure in a whole year experience, whenever we experienced 4 hours of light in a day gives us a huge reason to celebrate and praise God. You can hardly charge your laptops and phones. When sleeping, you can generate over 20 litres of sweat before day break. We can use more than 60% of our allowance to buy drinking water in order to avoid dehydration. (No be small tin oo).
3) Language Barrier.
This is a huge challenge as most people leaving in this region are uneducated. They can hardly understand english language.
For you to transect a business would be extremely difficult if you don't speak house fluently. I remembered that I couldn't buy something (can't remember exactly what) as I was strongly willing to buy and the buyer was very willing to sell. He couldn't hear english and I couldn't hear hausa. That was how we had no option than to quit the business. Even if you find a seller who understands english perfectly, he would cheat you because you cannot speak hausa. When you speak hausa, the prices of goods and services go down to the barest minimum.
You could hardly communicate even in govt offices as you shall not be given good attention if you can't speak hausa.
In conclusion, I enjoyed every bit of my service and I feel the north is the best place to serve in Nigeria despite these challenges. It makes you highly experienced in real life situations and helps you to make good challenging decisions. Also, the north is a fertile ground to set up any business as we have a lot of opportunities in the North. As a corper, I had over three places where I work and earn extra income for myself.
I love Naija. Naija na d best.
Re: Challenges I Encountered As A Corper Serving In NE Nigeria? by EmmyDe25(m): 7:13am On Dec 31, 2013
Nice travelogue, but did you just say North is the best place to serve and to start up small businesses? You should be thanking your star that nothing bad happened to you during your stay. A whole lotta peeps wouldnt wanna agree with the denouement of your write-up. I was camped in Kebbi state during the Batch 13A orientation and like i do tell anybody who cares to listen, that will be the worst 21-days of my life....couldnt have just imagined myself staying back for one year for the sake of some irrevelant experience which wouldnt add a thing to my CV. Besides, which experience am i even looking for again having left the shores of Lagos for Zaria for my university education?
Bro, NYSC is best done in ones parents house these days, nice travelogue by the way.
Re: Challenges I Encountered As A Corper Serving In NE Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 31, 2013
EmmyDe25: Nice travelogue, but did you just say North is the best place to serve and to start up small businesses? You should be thanking your star that nothing bad happened to you during your stay. A whole lotta peeps wouldnt wanna agree with the denouement of your write-up. I was camped in Kebbi state during the Batch 13A orientation and like i do tell anybody who cares to listen, that will be the worst 21-days of my life....couldnt have just imagined myself staying back for one year for the sake of some irrevelant experience which wouldnt add a thing to my CV. Besides, which experience am i even looking for again having left the shores of Lagos for Zaria for my university education?
Bro, NYSC is best done in ones parents house these days, nice travelogue by the way.
Bro, very nice opinion. I allowed the will of God in my posting. I was posted to the north. I endured to the end and gusee what? I got a lot to add to my CV.
I got a recommendation/citation from the state commandant of NSCDC, I got commendation from NYSC governing board even without carrying out any personal project. I got a citation from a senoir inspector of ICT in the state.
These unpleasant experience are necessary and builds you for the challenges of the future. It makes you stand stronger.
Many people are in the North and are living tii date. If you believe in God, you shall only hear but it will not come near you.
More Opinion from the house pls...

(1) (Reply)

Borno 15A Corp Member About To Be Decamped Just 2days To Go / Good 2 Go / We Just loss a 2016 batch b stream 2 Corper Via Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.