Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:05 AM

Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil (46109 Views)

Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / 8 Health Benefits Of Red Wine / Nutritional Benefits Of Onion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by etunoman76(m): 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
Red palm oil is healthier than olive oil and coconut oil and has been proven to reverse the symptoms of heart disease and protect against certain cancers

Move over olive and coconut—there’s a new oil in town proven even more effective at cutting the risk of heart disease and degenerative illnesses: red palm oil.

Red palm oil has been celebrated as a healing tonic among ancient civilizations, but has been overlooked by modern health practitioners due to its mistaken similarities to palm kernel oil. Both palm kernel and red palm oil originate from the oil palm Elaeis guineesis. But palm kernel oil is derived from the seed, while red palm oil is extracted from the fruit.

Recent research suggests that the two aren’t as alike as previously thought, as red palm oil has shown superior health benefits to not only palm kernel oil, but to virtually every other edible oil on the planet! In fact, Dr. Oz claims, “none compare to the powerful nutritional virtues of red palm oil.”

A Nutritional Powerhouse

Rich in phytonutrients, red palm oil owes the majority of its antioxidant super powers to its high concentration of carotenes and tocotrienols. You’ve probably heard about carotenes such as lycopene and beta-carotene, which lend the bright red and orange hues—and powerful health benefits—to tomatoes and carrots. Red palm oil significantly contains more potent levels of these phytonutrients.

Tocotrienols are a superior form of vitamin E (40 to 60 times more powerful than tocopherols) that control free radicals and inflammation (the primary cause of heart disease). Tocotrienols are also powerful anti-cancer agents that help ward off cancers of the skin, stomach, pancreas, liver, lung, colon, prostate and breast.

Over 700 published studies have shown that tocotrienols have an unprecedented number of health benefits when combined with the other super nutrients in red palm oil, which include: a unique complex of phytosterolsplant squaleneco-enzyme Q10carotenes

Unprecedented Health Benefits

Red palm oil is an overall immune system tonic that improves liver detoxification and can help treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NFLAD). It protects against osteoporosis and arthritis. Both tocotrienols and mixed carotenes naturally accumulate in the outermost layer of the epidermis, thereby shielding hair and skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.

However, the most well-documented and scientifically validated nutritional benefit of red palm oil relates to heart health. Even though red palm oil is high in saturated fat, it actually helps prevent and reverse heart disease. Studies have shown that the oil breaks down plague buildup in the arteries and prevents blockages from forming.

Red palm oil is a potent natural anti-inflammatory, and as such helps to prevent inflammation in the artery lining. Science has now confirmed that inflammation in the arterial linings is the major cause of cholesterol buildup! Red palm oil naturally improves cholesterol and lowers high blood pressure.

A study funded by the National Institutes of Health found that red palm oil reduces your risk of stroke by 50% due to its protective effects on brain cells. The super vitamin E in red palm oil stimulates blood flow to the brain and also defends against Alzheimer’s disease and dementia!

Sustainable Red Palm Oil

Unfortunately, red palm oil is the subject of much controversy. Production and demand of red palm oil have led to deforestation and the demise of the orangutan population. In 2004, a nonprofit organization called the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) was founded to partner conservation groups with palm oil firms in order to create more sustainable manufacturing practices. When looking for palm oil, make sure it carries the RSPO stamp of approval.

Red palm oil should also carry the labels “virgin” and “organic.” When processed and refined, red palm oil loses not only its dark color… but also all of its nutritional benefits. If ever you see red palm oil listed as an ingredient in processed snack food, you can be sure it’s not the heart healthy kind.

Experts recommend that to treat a chronic health condition or for a dose of extra protection, supplement with one to two tablespoons of virgin organic RSPO-approved red palm oil daily.= = = = = = = = = = =

This is such a revelation and a relief from all the myths. I have really been wondering how it didn’t affect our fathers who lived so long in great health yet had palm oil completely as part of their life.
One main delicacy - white yam and palm oil

One main delicacy – white yam and palm oil

I had believed that cold pressed Palm oil is the best as most of the nutrients are destroyed from cooking, surprisingly & interestingly I read from Abeng News Magazine, that unlike many other foods that lose their nutrients when heated, much of the nutrients of palm oil remains intact after extensive boiling of the fruit to extract the oil.

According to Dr. Gourmet ‘Palm oil is taken from the fruit of the palm, however Palm kernel oil is pressed from the seeds (kernels) of the fruit and is much higher in saturated fat – at about 80% vs. only 50% in palm oil. Palm oil also has a higher ratio of “good fats” though and early research shows that palm oil has similar effects on cholesterol profiles (total cholesterol, HDL and LDL cholesterol) as olive oil’.

Abeng News Magazine explained further that It is high in Vitamin E (tocotrienols and tocopherols), which maintains healthy, supple skin. Palm oil’s potent Vitamin E tocotrienols is described as a super-antioxidant that neutralizes disease causing free radicals—it has the highest level of tocotrienols among all vegetable oils. Could palm oil be secret behind Africans’ radiant complexion and renowned ageless features?

Palm oil is also an excellent source for combating Vitamin A deficiency to prevent night blindness and vision loss. It has 16 times more beta-carotene — the source of its red colour — than carrots. This high level of carotene is a powerful anti-carcinogenic. The unremitting health pleas of the West for avoidance of saturated fats, such as palm oil, due to their supposed link to heart disease are now viewed as unjustified particularly regarding palm oil.

The health benefits of palm oil are said to far out weigh the health risks, especially when blended with other healthy oils. In addition, no health statistic has revealed West Africans, whose diet for the past 5,000 years has included palm oil, are more susceptible to high levels of cholesterol or heart disease than any other population.

http://vogocares.com/blog/2013/12/27/interesting-findings-on-our-dear-red-palm-oil/

9 Likes

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by billyG(m): 3:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
The problem with africa is inferiority complx we dont belive in ourself or what we hav,we still fall over ourself buyin bleach palm oil frm malysia like king or turkey oil,olive oil frm spain,usa etc while our oil is naturally charge with antioxidants,betacarotein 2 fight cancer,diabetes,eye healment & heart diseases.

12 Likes

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Orikinla(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
I love palm oil for cooking.

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Pearlyakin(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
Whao....make we dey use red palm oil cook, apart from that palm oil is an antidote against poison,and yu can apply little to yur nose if yu av cattarh or cough,cos using drugs evritime is not gud#gbaaam.
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by emmyid(m): 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
noted
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by kelahns: 3:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
I always prefer palm oil soup/stew to ground it oil....the nutritional value is high... wink
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
Nice one, all those ppl wey dey laff me when I dey chop my yam and oil, na them no sabi. My skin just dey glow like light bulb, compared to them garri warriors wey get skin like crocodile.

Team Yam & Oil > Team Garri.

2 Likes

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by rabonni(m): 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
.you just made remember my gran parents ..........no wonder dey lasted long
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by anytexy: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
realy!
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
I too like am, pass Shango self.
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by deeplow: 3:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
We believe everything the West says.they said palm oil is bad,we agree it is. You wear ankara, they say you are poor. You eat amala and egusi,they say you are local,why not fried rice. God help us
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by tropaz(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
Sacrifice to the gods

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by dagama30(m): 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2014
red oik all d way, can't wait 4 my yam 2 done
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by mike404(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
Orikinla: I love palm oil for cooking.
FOR COOKING OFE RIGHT

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Matilde1: 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
na confirm asiri ewa be that o, don't let oyinbo know this o!

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by dagama30(m): 3:56pm On Jan 04, 2014
red oil al d way, can't wait 4 my yam 2 done
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by julioralph(m): 3:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
hmmm...
I think that's the oil known as adii in yoruba.
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by adezjamz(m): 3:59pm On Jan 04, 2014
Ok
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by naijaobi(m): 4:00pm On Jan 04, 2014
what we were told back then was that palm oil causes malaria.. Smh
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Nightshift(m): 4:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Nothing beat Ofeakwu with Abakaliki rice!
It's better than having an orgasmm!cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by bluerange(f): 4:05pm On Jan 04, 2014
hmmm..and am buying the quantity that will only fill a La Casera bottle for N700 here in Kenya and not even up to the quality of the oil we have back home!
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Wizdray: 4:05pm On Jan 04, 2014
Alryt
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Big4wig(m): 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2014
naijaobi: what we were told back then was that palm oil causes malaria.. Smh
cha dem turn us to ode noni does days...chaicheesy.

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Sloan: 4:18pm On Jan 04, 2014
julioralph: hmmm...
I think that's the oil known as adii in yoruba.

Stop being ignorant! Epo pupa is not adin, adi agbon is not used for cooking except some people do but speak only what you know.

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by SIRKOL(m): 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hmmm @ op tanx o....going 2 my fadas farmland in d village 2 clear all d palm karnels
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by chi4ik(m): 4:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
I trust Nsukka people in Enugu state, their palm oil is the best in Africa, in fact in d world. They Value palm oil more that any other oil $ it's a serious business there, especially @ Obollo-Afor market...

1 Like

Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Ediss(m): 4:29pm On Jan 04, 2014
Can I just start drinking palm oil right now in place of water can it make me get marry this year cus any thing that will make me get married is year I will do it. Palm oil here I come. wink
Re: Nutritional Benefits Of Red Palm Oil by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 04, 2014
Yu Forgot to mention its ability to give yu a heart attack

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cancer Killer Fruit. / How Healthplus Pharmacy Founder And 11 Family Members Survived COVID-19 / LINA MEDINA, The Youngest Mother Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.