Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,916 members, 7,806,666 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

Where Is Oduduwa Really From? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Where Is Oduduwa Really From? (78084 Views)

"Ooni Of Ife, Ogunwusi, Ascended Our Father Oduduwa's Throne" - Olu Of Warri / Who Really Is ODUDUWA? / Obatala And Oduduwa In Ile-ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by tpiah: 4:04pm On Jun 27, 2009
kay_pumpin:

Oduduwa in Yoruba is translated as Odu- to- da- iwa meaning the oracle that created(or bequathed) good behaviour.

Odutodaiwa is different from Oduduwa.

Yoruba language is very specific.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by kaypumpin2(m): 10:06pm On Jun 27, 2009
tpiah:

Odutodaiwa is different from Oduduwa.

Yoruba language is very specific.

Specific?Ever heard of afomo?

E.g Malaolu = Mun aso ala fun olu,Olodumare=olodu omo are and Kabiyesi = Ka bi o o si

There are many examples of this and i think the Oduduwa's case shouldn't be far off.  cool

But then i am open to know a new dimension,if there is any.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 7:02pm On Aug 30, 2009
@Negro-Nts

I can see that you are very well versed in African History.

I am a willing student (infact sometimes i regret studying engineering and not History grin).

What books do you recommend that i buy i need to know almost everything about African History. By the way i easily get bore with too much text (hence my affinity for mathematics) hence i would be glad if u can please recommend books that also have picturial evidences and not just words. So that such pictorial evidences can help to stop me from being bored out of my brains.

Also in case you know of any audio tapes that can be bought to learn about history, i would be grateful.

----------------------------------------

I have always said that its serious naivety for Yoruba to claim to be muslims considering that being a muslim is almost like a betrayal of what our fore-father fought and died for.

I personally dislike the Arabs just as i dislike the Whites wen one considers how much destruction that have brought upon the black race.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by nolongTing: 7:51pm On Aug 30, 2009
No2Atheism:

@Negro-Nts

I can see that you are very well versed in African History.

I am a willing student (infact sometimes i regret studying engineering and not History  grin).

What books do you recommend that i buy i need to know almost everything about African History. By the way i easily get bore with too much text (hence my affinity for mathematics) hence i would be glad if u can please recommend books that also have picturial evidences and not just words. So that such pictorial evidences can help to stop me from being bored out of my brains.

Also in case you know of any audio tapes that can be bought to learn about history, i would be grateful.

----------------------------------------

I have always said that its serious naivety for Yoruba to claim to be muslims considering that being a muslim is almost like a betrayal of what our fore-father fought and died for.

Have you checked out Dr Henrik Clarke? He did a great piece on the History of Islam and makes a strong case that Islam was invented by Africans; The most obvious is the muslim call to prayer.  Also if you look at how Ancient Yoruba religion was practiced when it comes to praying there are a lot of similarities.

I also share your sentiments when it comes to History and Language, I now want to work with Yoruba and bring it into Science, I just have not found the time yet; but I think that any people that do not adapt their language to science will experience slow technological progression. Our forefathers were great beings and they did not speak a word of English! Why is it now that someone is considered illiterate if they cannot speak English?

1 Like

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:03pm On Aug 30, 2009
nolongTing:

Have you checked out Dr Henrik Clarke? He did a great piece on the History of Islam and makes a strong case that Islam was invented by Africans; The most obvious is the muslim call to prayer.  Also if you look at how Ancient Yoruba religion was practiced when it comes to praying there are a lot of similarities.

I also share your sentiments when it comes to History and Language, I now want to work with Yoruba and bring it into Science, I just have not found the time yet; but I think that any people that do not adapt their language to science will experience slow technological progression. Our forefathers were great beings and they did not speak a word of English! Why is it now that someone is considered illiterate if they cannot speak English?

Arabic and European brainwashing.

1. That is why you see grown men and women defending Islam with their lives even though a simple open mindedness would help them see that Mohammed is the greatest liar known to man.

2. I am likewise amazed by Black Africans who refuse to study and believe history because they are afraid that it would expose the fact that the Messiah was not White.

3. Some people who claim to be atheists and still believe in a white messiah are the ones that suprise me the most, cus it seems they are just trading one dogma for another dogma.

History shows that Arabs are more or less an uneducated bunch of people. It was the Africans that they conquered and other races that they conquered that more or less contibuted to the knowledge base that they are now trying to claim as theirs e.g. the Black Moors.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:08pm On Aug 30, 2009
nolongTing:

I now want to work with Yoruba and bring it into Science, I just have not found the time yet; but I think that any people that do not adapt their language to science will experience slow technological progression.

I have also thought of that but i must confess, i would be glad if some people can at least do it so that 500 years from now. Yorubas can easily be doing mathematics and science in their language, just as Japanese and Chinese also do a lot of mathematics and science in their own language.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by nolongTing: 8:16pm On Aug 30, 2009
No2Atheism:

I have also thought of that but i must confess, i would be glad if some people can at least do it so that 500 years from now. Yorubas can easily be doing mathematics and science in their language, just as Japanese and Chinese also do a lot of mathematics and science in their own language.

"Tell me you are joking", 500 Years!!!! We need to start NOW!  grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:24pm On Aug 30, 2009
Lol is N2A aware that Negro is an Alhaji
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:26pm On Aug 30, 2009
i mean that it would take like 500yrs for it permeat the whole yoruba society to the point whereby people would think and write fluent mathematic and physical issues in yoruba.

Off course the earlier people start the better.

1. Yoruba has to be distilled, to a simpler and less congested written form.

2. This form should then be used to teach student in school.

3. translation of mathematics and physica books should then be done.

4. teaching of mathematics and physics in yoruba should then be done.

achieving all this is the reason why i projected that it would take at least 5 generations to achieve fluency and efficiency in science with the language.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:29pm On Aug 30, 2009
NegroNts Alhaji chai  shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked koooooooooooo . . . . buahaaaaaaaaa  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I am about to sharia-fied  cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy me and my big blunt mouth  grin grin grin grin

No wahala we (Negro Nts and I) can at least disagree on at least one thing  grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:32pm On Aug 30, 2009
@nolongthing

Take for example, i am hopeless with writing and reading yoruba.

My thinking process and thought pattern is completely done in english.

My speaking and hearing of Yoruba is excellent and superb. its just the writing and reading part that its hopeless, hence someone like me cannot even hope to benefit from the yoruba thingy cause my brain neurons are already wired shut, grin grin grin

Hence its future generations that we need to think and prepare for instead.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:40pm On Aug 30, 2009
Where's Negro, let me share your email so you two can be buddies grin
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by nolongTing: 8:41pm On Aug 30, 2009
No2Atheism:

@nolongthing

Take for example, i am hopeless with writing and reading yoruba.

My thinking process and thought pattern is completely done in english.

My speaking and hearing of Yoruba is excellent and superb. its just the writing and reading part that its hopeless, hence someone like me cannot even hope to benefit from the yoruba thingy cause my brain neurons are already wired shut,  grin grin grin

Hence its future generations that we need to think and prepare for instead.

I see what you mean, I am rusty myself and the writing and reading part forget it! Have you installed the Microsoft Vista Yoruba version? I un-installed it as soon as I installed it LOL!  but seriously I think it should take about 10 to 30 years if we start now because we have so much technology like the internet so it will spread faster.  Another point is that Children tend to learn languages quicker than adults as their toungue pattern is not set like us agbalagba people  grin grin grin cheesy wink grin
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Where's Negro, let me share your email so you two can be buddies grin

Alakoba , are u trying to kill me or something grin grin grin
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by NegroNtns(m): 10:46pm On Aug 30, 2009
No2,

To be honest with you I learnt most of these things in my travels around the country. I have many blessings but I will mention one that is directly related with what you are trying to achieve here. This is not a brag, I call God to witness on what you are about to read. I cannot recommend a book for you, I did not acquire my knowledge from books.

I am from Lagos and I am blessed to have people in my family who are direct custodians of the culture and heritage in Lagos. So at a very young age we were already indoctrinated into the history of Lagos, going back before, during and after colonialism. Later and at an older age the instruction and lessons continued with the history of Yoruba Nation and its seven states. We also learnt about the wars and who the opponents were. Tucked into lessons on the opponents we learnt about their states and political structure. I was very fascinated with the Fulani war. So when I had opportunity to go to North I jumped at it and buried myself deep in their city to learn all I can. I was in Kano. I went to school with direct royal blood of the Kano Emirate. . .both Bayero and his predecessor, Sanusi. It was a large family and I became very acquainted with them and through these chanels I learnt a lot about the Fulani and Hausa history and their political ideologies. Then I went to school in Zaria and met there with other affluent chanels from Katsina, Sokoto, Bornu. So my knowledge of history was a fortunate one that occurred through direct contact with the custodians of the respective cultures and exceptionally out of any formal academic classroom but it is by far more genuine than any textbook could ever teah me. I thank God for the blessings and the fortunes. I have gone to libraries and tried to read books on the history of Lagos and had to abort the attempt because a lot is left out that is very improtant to value and ideology of the people.

This oral tradition has left me even in my adulthood to be very suspicious of second hand and third hand information source. I can make tons of money writing historical accounts today but I will not. I have a plan. Iintend to instruct and teach my own children these things and let them write it and I will proof read it for accuracy. There are accounts of Lagos alone that could be turned into a big movie project and will find international audience because of the subject matter.

Anyway, sorry, I will not recommend books but I can continue to share what I can here in limited coverage. Remember, I am bequeathing the knowledge and so it is now considered a proprietary asset.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by tpia5: 10:48pm On Aug 30, 2009
Negro is an Alhaji

is he?

I thought he was an atheist and traditionalist. ie ATR.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:50am On Aug 31, 2009
Na. Alhaji ni.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by NegroNtns(m): 3:38am On Aug 31, 2009
ah, mo ti jegba. . .tpia thought I was a heathen. grin grin

Dont mind TOH, I do it all. . .I belong in the faith of Abraham - Islam Chrsianity and Judaism. I read Quran, Bible and Torah.

Im getting ready to take TOH with me to Mecca. When she gets back we will post her new pix in her burqa.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by Nobody: 3:39am On Aug 31, 2009
Sorry o, Ekiti women dnt do Mecca
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by na2day2(m): 3:53am On Aug 31, 2009
this is my theory about Oduduwa and the yoruba history. the claims that Oduduwa has roots in mecca can be true at the same time he probably came down from egypt. there is a tribe in egypt that has great similarities with the yoruba language, so my theory is Oduduwa's family was among the arabs that invaded the original egyptians and they got mixed with this egyptian tribe and later in life He and probably a few other warriors headed west and came to west of nigeria where there was an unknown local tribe and he probably conquered their villages and became their king. he spoke the egyptian language and learned the local language too but being king, his version of the original language integrated with the local dialects he met became the yoruba language and the beginning of a new ppl. as for the sky diving part, that is plain arrant nonsense
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:09am On Aug 31, 2009
FL Gators:

Dont mind him.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 6:21am On Aug 31, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Dont mind him.

I hereby pronounce u alhaji and wife grin
na2day?:

this is my theory about Oduduwa and the yoruba history. the claims that Oduduwa has roots in mecca can be true at the same time he probably came down from egypt. there is a tribe in egypt that has great similarities with the yoruba language, [b]so my theory is Oduduwa's family was among the arabs that invaded the original egyptians [/b]and they got mixed with this egyptian tribe and later in life He and probably a few other warriors headed west and came to west of nigeria where there was an unknown local tribe and he probably conquered their villages and became their king. he spoke the egyptian language and learned the local language too but being king, his version of the original language integrated with the local dialects he met became the yoruba language and the beginning of a new ppl. as for the sky diving part, that is plain arrant nonsense

- Ancient Egyptians are not Arabs

- Present day egyptians are mostly arabs because most the original egyptians were colonised by the arabs and their other jihadists. History shows that Arabs tend to kill and maim those that they colonised hence i am not suprised that population of the original egyptians has reduced drastically while that of the Arabs increased.

- It does not make sense for Oduduwa to be an Arab since there would be no need for him to fled Egypt.

- The logical thing is that Oduduwa's family came from the original inhabitants of either Egypt or Kush. And that they fled from the attacks of the Arab invaders, such that they ended up amongst the original aboriginal yoruba people.

- They people of Oduduwa and original aboriginal yoruba people then mixed and became the people now known as Yoruba.

--------------------------------

I have always said that both the Arabs and Europeans are simply brainwashing the Africans because for some reason it seems the Arabs and Europeans know something about the African Identity, that even the Africans themselves do not seem to know.

3 Likes

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by tpia5: 6:29am On Aug 31, 2009
so where did the Arabs come from?
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by NegroNtns(m): 6:39am On Aug 31, 2009
I have always said that both the Arabs and Europeans are simply brainwashing the Africans because for some reason it seems the Arabs and Europeans know something about the African Identity, that even the Africans themselves do not seem to know

no2,

May God Bless and enrich you.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by tpia5: 6:45am On Aug 31, 2009
I have always said that both the Arabs and Europeans are simply brainwashing the Africans because for some reason it seems the Arabs and Europeans know something about the African Identity, that even the Africans themselves do not seem to know

thats because Arabs were the ones documenting African history before the arrival of the Europeans.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by na2day2(m): 6:55am On Aug 31, 2009
No2Atheism:

- Ancient Egyptians are not Arabs

- Present day egyptians are mostly arabs because most the original egyptians were colonised by the arabs and their other jihadists. History shows that Arabs tend to kill and maim those that they colonised hence i am not suprised that population of the original egyptians has reduced drastically while that of the Arabs increased.

- It does not make sense for Oduduwa to be an Arab since there would be no need for him to fled Egypt.

- The logical thing is that Oduduwa's family came from the original inhabitants of either Egypt or Kush. And that they fled from the attacks of the Arab invaders, such that they ended up amongst the original aboriginal yoruba people.

- They people of Oduduwa and original aboriginal yoruba people then mixed and became the people now known as Yoruba.

I have always said that both the Arabs and Europeans are simply brainwashing the Africans because for some reason it seems the Arabs and Europeans know something about the African Identity, that even the Africans themselves do not seem to know.

--sighs-- i never said ancient egyptians were arabs but rather that arabs invaded the ancient egyptians
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by NegroNtns(m): 7:01am On Aug 31, 2009

Dont mind him.

Gator, this one go do more than Mecca.  After Medina we take trip to Iraq.  We go to Fallujah to visit the shrine of the Grand Sheik Ali.  If she is not in hurry we can take a tour of the historic Euphrates River.

TOH is no longer Ekiti woman.  She is now the ERELU OF ISALE-EKO.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by NegroNtns(m): 7:19am On Aug 31, 2009
As far as integrating science and maths into Yoruba. . .you probably mean the other way around, extracting Yoruba into science and maths.

Did any of you followed my discussion on Ifa with Pastor AIO? This was in religion section. Yoruba Nation is at crossroads and we need to act quick to decide on which way forward. We have one endowment that no other civilization presently in human history have. . .and thats IFA.

Growing up we were taught that IFA is sacred and that we were not to associate with IFA worshippers and acolytes because they are agents of darkness and have super natural powers that in an instant can unleash unimaginable and irreparable damage to lives and properties. So normal instincts and childhood curiosities that naturally ought to be steered in that direction was instead scared away from the adventure. No risks,no gains. So here we are adults, ignorant of our own roots energy and philosophy and equally ignoran of the foreign ones we professed and vowed to follow.

. . .its too high to get over
. . .its too low to get under
and we are stuck in the middle.

That song is admonition for someone that "wanna be starting something". We cant start anything even if we try. Yoruba wake up!
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 12:49pm On Aug 31, 2009
na2day?:

--sighs-- i never said ancient egyptians were arabs but rather that arabs invaded the ancient egyptians

Apologies if i sounded as if i am attacking you. just trying to correct an error which you can also notice from your statement which i quote below.

so my theory is Oduduwa's family was among the arabs that invaded the original egyptians and they got mixed with this egyptian tribe

your statement quoted above is implying that Oduduwa's family was an arab i.e. among the arabs, hence part of the people that invaded Egypt.

I guess you meant something else, but unfortunately what you said is not wat u meant.
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:10pm On Aug 31, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

no2,

May God Bless and enrich you.

since you believe this why are you still a Muslim? After all its the Arabs that enforced this on Africans
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by na2day2(m): 2:07am On Sep 01, 2009
No2Atheism:

Apologies if i sounded as if i am attacking you. just trying to correct an error which you can also notice from your statement which i quote below.

your statement quoted above is implying that Oduduwa's family was an arab i.e. among the arabs, hence part of the people that invaded Egypt.

I guess you meant something else, but unfortunately what you said is not wat u meant.

i meant he is egyptian with arab origins, and like i said it is my theory
Re: Where Is Oduduwa Really From? by No2Atheism(m): 7:07am On Sep 01, 2009
na2day?:

i meant he is egyptian with arab origins, and like i said it is my theory

Am sorry but history has far reaching consequences beyond the present generations, hence issues of having a personal theory are more dangerous than beneficial, most especially if that theory is not completely accurate.

Yes i agree Oduduwa might be an Egyptian.
Yes i agree Oduduwa might even be a Black Arab (actually there are black arabs still living in this day and age, contrary to general perception that all arabs are white).

However i find it to be completely contradictory in your statement when you claim he is an egyptian with arab origins. See what i am saying. This means i was actually write to correct you the first time, cus it seems your initial statement might not be a mistake afterall. Instead it might actually be intentional.

1. An Hamite cannot be an Arab
2. An Egyptian is an Hamite.
3. An Egyptian cannot be an Arab

You are saying he is an egyptian at the same time you are also saying he is an Arab. Does this not sound contradictory  undecided.

Please abeg choose one, or moreover I am beginning to wonder whether this by any chance has anything to do with islamic connotations.

An Arab is a Semite.
An Egyptian is an Hamite.

It is logically contradictory for you to claim he was an Egyptian and then claim he is an Arab.

People of the Sudan are not Arabs.
Ancient Sudan is the same thing as Ancient Nubia, hence it is completely false to even assume that native nubians or native sudanese people are arabs.
Ethiopians are not Arabs.
Cushites are not Arabs.
Ancient Somalia is not Arab (it was considered part of ancient Ethiopia before Arab invasion).

Some of the present day people in Sudan might be Arab, yes i understand but that has nothing to with Ancient Sudan. It has to do with colonialism of Nubians by Arabs and thus after the typical raping, castration, intermarriage and cultural genocide, that we all know Arabs are capable of. It should not suprise you that Arabs are now trying to claim Sudan as part of their land. Hence the reason why Black Africans are figthing Arabs in Sudan till the present day (and the reason why its painful to see ignorant black muslims actually support the Arabs in perpetrating the genocide going on in Sudan).

Ancient Egyptians are black, they were never white, they were never Arabs. Colonialisation of Egypt by Arabs and the subsequent fleeing of Black Descendants of the real Egyptians by Arabs is part of the reason why you now see that some Egyptians today are Arabs.

Please lets understand history and put it into proper perspective.

I am really worried that islam has caused so many black africans to lose their identity and thus tend to try to falsely find a way to link themselves back to Mecca a.k.a. Islam.

Native Black Africans have nothing to do with Arabs.
Native Black Africans are descendants of Ham (both the light skinned ones i.e. Ethiopians/some North Africans up to the very dark Skinned ones Nubians)

It really pisses me off wen i see people still falling for the same brainwashing techniques over and over again, from both the Europeans and the Arabians,

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Ogunwusi Catwalks At Fashion Show In Lagos (photos) / Languages Spoken In Each Of The 36 States In Nigeria / Shock As Men Steal Meat From Lions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.