Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,928 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (51440 Views)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by babaisale01(m): 2:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
This news is bull_shii. A regent is not a king. She's just there till the council of elders decide who is going to be king. She will leave the post when a king is found and installed. Get your facts right before you come here to make a fool of yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 04, 2014
Which nincompoop brought this to FP? angry
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by victorlexa(m): 2:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
So to some igbo's nw dis is some sort of victory? Na wa oooooo 4 dis country sef...
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by kevinkod(m): 3:10pm On Jan 04, 2014
[quote author=ezeagu]

Don't be silly.

who is more silly? He just told u d truth & u ar spewing out rubish. Her children can never b king, so get dat into ur head. If u want her children to b king u can give dem in ur village. (awon omo ahokuta ma mu omi)
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by RaptorX: 3:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
Reptyle:

The Akure monarchical system is designed so that there are several traditional ruling families. The throne is rotated among these families. once it is the turn of any of the ruling houses, any male member of that family can aspire to become oba. The oracle will ultimately decide who mounts the throne. The new Oba will then sit on the throne until his death or deposition as was the case with the penultimate Oba who was deposed by Mimiko's government for assaulting one of his wive's physically. The throne then rotates to the next ruling house.

Following the death of the king, a regent, usually his first daughter is appointed to oversee the affairs of the kingdom pending the conclusion of the burial rites of the deceased king and the installation of a new king. She is not referred to as an Oba but as Adele. I do not know for sure why it has to be a woman. my guess is that they need someone who isnt under any illusions about the specificity of the temporary nature of her role and might begin to suffer delusions of grandeur and aspire to become permanent.

Traditionally, a woman cannot be King in yoruba land, but there have been situations where a regency lasts for years...even decades.

What about if the deceased oba doesnt have a female child, can a male child become a regent?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by frakdon(m): 3:31pm On Jan 04, 2014
masseratti: Do you guys understand what a regent mean?
Na wa ooo
Its a good and beautiful thing when two culture,tribe,ethnic group intermarry,but their children can not be heir to the throne,she is a regent,called Adele in yorubaland,not an Oba.

What the heck is an Igbo citizen?is Igbo a country,nation or a state?

Do they teach you guys how to spin stories or what ?

My guy tuale!!! I like you
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by debbleopto: 3:43pm On Jan 04, 2014
[quote author=ndu_chucks]

This is the very reason why my heart breaks when the tribalists, secessionists, and separatists among you people start exhibiting gross, senseless bigotry on NL. You people were not like this until you tried to fight your misguided war. (QUOTE)

No, blockade had already happened. Look, blockade
did not happen because Awolowo said so. It was
the military system that created the blockade
because the soldiers had already surrounded the
Eastern region and the soldiers ensured that only
they got the resources being brought in. It was the
soldiers that starved the children of Biafra because
they did not allow even the Red Cross to distribute
the foods properly to those who really needed it.
We have been reading Alabi Isama. We all know that
one of the greatest failings of the Biafra side was
that they moved populations from where they could
farm and moved them to areas where they were
bloody refugees waiting to be fed. That was a plan-
less revolt.
When you don’t plan your revolt and you do not
think it through, when people talk about genocide
in that kind of situation, for God’s sake we should
also ask them where their brains went to. Because
if you say children are dying, it means you are
taking a military decision. How many children will I
let die in order to wait for ammunitions to come?
The point I am making therefore is this: When you
hear of the word ‘genocide’, don’t look at it as
something Nigeria did to Biafra. It was something
that the Biafran military and intellectual class did to
their own people. They had to make a choice, as to
how many children they would allow to see dead in
order to continue with their revolution. They
preferred to see the children dying.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by cheruv: 3:51pm On Jan 04, 2014
ndu_chucks:

That was over 50 years ago. I am talking about modern day Nigeria here. We need to see this kind of gesture in the SE of today, start by giving us an Obi or real Eze of the fulani extraction. Be bold and make it happen today.
Dreams!!!
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by cheruv: 3:54pm On Jan 04, 2014
ndu_chucks:

This is the very reason why my heart breaks when the tribalists, secessionists, and separatists among you people start exhibiting gross, senseless bigotry on NL. You people were not like this until you tried to fight your misguided war. Unfortunately, many of you have been so damaged by the said war that you remain unable to see value in the unity of this great country - to your detriment, I might add.
I never knew this dolt has upgraded his stupidity
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by twosquare(m): 4:07pm On Jan 04, 2014
ak47mann: for example if you are on her shoes will you disown your children because their father is not yoruba pls be honest.

To my best knowledge her children is entitle,any of them can sit on that throne after her cool
sorry they are not pure blood
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by squaddy(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2014
The foolish tribalistic MOD has removed my comment and allowed the rest of his/her frustrated hating kinsmen to spew shit here...I'm out
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by debbleopto: 4:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
victorlexa: So to some igbo's nw dis is some sort of victory? Na wa oooooo 4 dis country sef...

Until Igbos can overcome their anti-Awo
sentiments, they will not be able to find out how
their leaders misled them during the war. After
the second coup that brought Gowon to power,
the Middle Belt soldiers were now in control of
power in Nigeria (something they never could
have imagined) and they used it to liberate their
people in the North by creating states. Middle
Belters were oppressed by the Hausa-Fulani
historically and had an opportunity to liberate
themselves at last after Gowon came to power.
There was no one monolithic North. Remember
that before the first coup, there were massacres
against the Tivs ordered by the Sarduana and
many Christians leaders in the North were in jail.
Ojukwu’s insistence on going back to the regional
arrangement was a no-starter and Awo
understood that point well. In fact, Awo had
advocated for the creation of states for the
Minorities.
Remember that Awo was the ONLY independence
leader who fought for the
minorities while Zik and Sarduana refused to give
the Minorities their rights
in the East and North respectively but created a
region for the Midwesterners out of the West in
their Anti-Yoruba Alliance.
Igbo leaders made many tactical mistakes; they
shouldn’t have gone to war. Blaming Awo alone
for their misfortunes during the war will not help
them to understand what happened so that they
can prevent a reoccurrence in the future.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by debbleopto: 4:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
victorlexa: So to some igbo's nw dis is some sort of victory? Na wa oooooo 4 dis country sef...

It began by saying after the colonialist must have
been driven away, the northerners, who will take
over the government do not have enough educated
people to fill the job that the Oyibo man will be
leaving. So the NCNC representing the East
organised for the job to be taken over. They took
over the job and ensured that people from other
regions were eliminated from strategic positions.
Don’t never let us forget it.
Chinua Achebe himself became director of external
broadcasting as a young man fresh from the
university. They took over as many jobs as could be
taken over. But they did not count on something
while they were taking over the jobs. The
northerners whom they thought were silly and did
not know what to do made sure that all the railway
extensions in Nigeria, all the military installations,
the Kainji Dam for electricity and even the iron and
steel industry, which was already proposed to be
sighted in the east, all of them went to the north. It
was at that point in 1964 that the easterners
realised that the northern ruling class was not as
bankrupt, ignorant or unthinking as they had
imagined.
It was at that point that the idea of a coup began in
Nigeria’s history because that year, when the NPC
(Northern People’s Congress), NNDP (Nigerian
National Democratic Party) coalition NNA (Nigerian
National Alliance) won the election, ZIK (Nnamdi
Azikwe) refused to call them to form a government
because, as he said, they had rigged the election.
They knew if an Awolowo had been the President of
Nigeria, Singapore would be just small stuff, in
relation to the kind of achievement we would have
had. We had television in the western region.
Before many Europeans heard about it, we had a
free education system before most people in the
world heard about it.
The health policy that is throwing Obama into a
hate figure for the rightist in America was already
in place in the old Western Region. It was moving
speedily on. Americans were getting on to it in the
21st Century and we were there in the middle of
the 20th Century.
When the World Bank opposed free education in the
Western Region, Awolowo went to court and
pursued the policy and succeeded. But they took a
group of Nigerian social scientists away from this
country, trained them in miserable World Bank
economics that devalue productivity in favour of
consuming what the west produces and it has
become the culture.
In South Africa, it has also become the culture. We
had people who genuinely fought. In Nkurumah’s
case what they did to him was a different ball
game. Like Awolowo who could not become the
head of state of his country, and therefore could
only perform his magic in a region, Nkurumah had
a country to play with. And what did they do to
him? They went after Nkurumah consistently and
hacked him down. When Nkurumah shouted against
imperialism, people always asked what was he
talking about – until Nkurumah was thrown out of
power and died. And then the issue became obvious
and clear through true confessions by CIA
operatives who admitted that they were the ones
who created Nkurumah’s problems.
Actually if Awolowo had pursued genocide, the war
wouldn’t have gone the way it went. Awolowo
insisted that Nigeria must remain a united country.
And that was number one and he said so from the
day he left prison till the day the war started and he
went out making every effort to ensure that all the
regions came to the common table to take the
decision.
Unfortunately, those who did not have guns, but
were campaigning for war, are the ones talking of
genocide. No, the genocide started by those who
went to a war they knew they were not prepared
for. It is wrong to land your people in a mess
because you refused to make use of the practices
you learnt in a proper war school. They weren’t
proper soldiers. What they learnt in the war
colleges, they refused to make use of them.
No it wasn’t genocide. It was about a group of
intellectuals and military men who refused to make
use of the knowledge available. Their failure is now
being interpreted as the genocide bid of the other
side. No, it is wrong to interpret the Nigerian civil
war as that.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by bigfrancis21: 5:37pm On Jan 04, 2014
Please guys, keep it professional in here.

Thanks.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by nduchucks: 7:26pm On Jan 04, 2014
Slimmos:
Pls no offence...pls just wanna know...who is d Yoruba Lady representing north in d northern State..name and State pls

No offense taken.

Grace Folashade Bent is a Nigerian senator who was elected in April 2007 on the People's Democratic Party platform in the Adamawa South constituency of Adamawa State. Grace Folashade Bent was born in 1960.

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/Senator_Grace_Folashade_Bent_922008008.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by IYANGBALI: 7:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
the and his co travellers are mumu grade 1
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Olril18(m): 8:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
ezeagu:

As I said before, don't be silly. She's the last Oba's first child and has been instated which means king makers back her. Who's going to take the crown from the Oba's first issue? Stop.
u are the silly one obviously because u dont understand yoruba culture..
she is adele,a sort of a temporary role ,this is for d kingmakers to look for a suitable candidate to replace the late oba from another royal family in d town,after which she will vacate for d new king.
her children are not in anyway entitled to d throne becos she is a woman..they are regarded as omo-obinrin,which means they has no right to the throne,the tradition is not only applicable during this type of issue,but also when sharing properties or will of a decesed man.....
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by IYANGBALI: 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
GentleMimi: *Yawns*
This is such a dumb thread.
Mods,i wanna assume u're not sitting on ur behind and watching these children disgrace them selves?......
Pls do the needful and close this Bleep*ing thread.
I'm sooo ashamed of NL these days...am i living wif idi*ots like this in Nigeria? Do they exist? Sheesh!
yes ooo we are still existing and one of us is your president
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Olril18(m): 8:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
ak47mann: lolz Dike is a core igbo name it means warrior in my language,the throne will be pass on to her children in future which DIKE will reign for 1000 years in yorubaland cool
u are a pathetic lot.... im not surprised though,igbo is a pathetic tribe.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by pokur: 9:25pm On Jan 04, 2014
[quote author=simpleseyi]

Op is a miserable liar. Children from female child of the King can never ever become kings. Ask any Yoruba man. Female children of kings are intentional made Regents because the female children know that they can never be king, so when they are made Regents, they do not try to perpetuate themselves in the position.[quote]
Erm.....Oba Adedapo Tejuosho is son to Esther Tejuosho and grandson to Osile Karunwi 1,whom he succeeded.Check the first three pages of this thread,we already thrashed all that out.
When it comes to kingship issue in Yorubaland,never say never.The oracle has the final say,afterall.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by dnawah(m): 9:52pm On Jan 04, 2014
Soon and very soon,the Igbos we rule the whole 9ja lands,and the language will be spoken far and widegrin
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Olril18(m): 9:58pm On Jan 04, 2014
Soreza: I thought this only happen on super story,nawa o,yoruba na yoruba,in any way u want it they are just yoruba,with their known qualities worldwide,( they talk alot,shout unnecessary(aaaaaaaa),cowards,hyprocrite,,they can support u while u are there,lie down to greet u,but as u leave u are a fool,yorubas are not just stable,not stable at all in all angles,lets take example religion,igbos are known for christain as religion,hausa also know for muslim,but tell me where a yoruba man,stands?na them go mosque pass,na them go church past,their youths are bunch of hoodlums,go to lagos bustop,streets and see the answer,so an igbo man,known for bravery,business,lighten skin,talent(football,music)going to marry a yoruba(dirty people)is ............absurd,abomination,and must be rush to a medical centre,thanks

so funny,when in reality,u igbos are animals,nobody wants to relate or identified with animalistic tribe like igbo...i.diot.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by DocAdray(f): 11:08pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hmmmmm... Good, but all these tribalists on NL, please this is a new year.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by macof(m): 11:19pm On Jan 04, 2014
She's only there for the moment. And even if she isn't her kids can never be made Oba in Akure or anywhere else.
Paternal lineage is considered not maternal.

I suspect the exiled oba would return, if he presents a good case.

The problem is that there's rivalry in the two royal clans and Adesida's daughter seems fair enough as a regent- but make them do comot the woman undecided
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by fran6uc(m): 12:42am On Jan 05, 2014
Olril18:

nobody wants to relate or identified with animalistic tribe like igbo...i.diot.

I stand against doz dat generalize insults 2 d yorubas bt i urge u nt 2 deceive urself.
Pls check ur words again ok. Try 2 project wat it'd b like witout d ibos. Every1 is useful u knw. Pls if u wanna get d real meanin of 'animal' do stand in front of a mirror & look ahead.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by sashash(m): 12:53am On Jan 05, 2014
ndu_chucks: This is the way things should be, we already have a Youruba lady representing a Northern state in the senate, now we have a potential Igbo Oba in the SW. We need similar results in the SE as well, a Fulani Eze or Obi would indicate political maturity.

Here's a phoograph of Princess Adetutu Adesida- Dike, the first daughter of the late traditional ruler of Akureland, who was installed as the new regent in Akure. Are women allowed to wear Babanriga in Akure?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1492881_CUsersA949824Desktopoba_jpg4dd1d1788af95f1f54979161af20a50b
we all knw it can never happen in the SE their culture prevents women from holding leadership positions
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by VirginFinder: 12:56am On Jan 05, 2014
ndu_chucks:

No offense taken.

Grace Folashade Bent is a Nigerian senator who was elected in April 2007 on the People's Democratic Party platform in the Adamawa South constituency of Adamawa State. Grace Folashade Bent was born in 1960.

[img]http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/thumbnail.php?file=images/Senator_Grace_Folashade_Bent_922008008.jpg&size=article_medium[/img]

Mr Fake Northerner. GTFOH!

That woman is no more in the senate!!
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by emeka94(m): 11:19am On Jan 05, 2014
ndu_chucks:

This is the very reason why my heart breaks when the tribalists, secessionists, and separatists among you people start exhibiting gross, senseless bigotry on NL. You people were not like this until you tried to fight your misguided war. Unfortunately, many of you have been so damaged by the said war that you remain unable to see value in the unity of this great country - to your detriment, I might add.

Misguided war? Igbos were being slaughtered like chicken in the north and west, yet you have the temerity to call the war misguided. So we should have stayed put like statues were we get butchered. We came out of our shell very early with intention to embrace the concept of one Nigeria, but we were pushed back and tagged "over ambitious". all the problems igbo ppl have are by products of the war. Our sense of rationalization have been so dulled that paranoia is almost a part of our life. Read books by renowned igbo elites and see how they feel about the way Nigeria treated them. Read with an open mind free of tribal jingoism, and you will understand that we were left with no other option. Nobody stays in a house that he is not welcomed or wanted.
PS: I believe the war would have been avoided if the government had done the right thing and I also believe in the unity of Nigeria but please don't call the civil war a misguided one.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by macof(m): 11:32am On Jan 05, 2014
The Op is really ignorant.
She's not a king but a reagent "adele oba". And she isn't the first female to acquire the position. I guess she's the late king's first child that was why she was chosen. It's only a matter of time before a real king is crowned
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by logica(m): 1:50pm On Jan 05, 2014
emeka94:
We came out of our shell very early with intention to embrace the concept of one Nigeria, but we were pushed back and tagged "over ambitious".
I see how you embraced the concept of one Nigeria in the following:

1. The VC of University of Ibadan (who happened to be Igbo) appointed by Azikiwe employed 109 Igbo and 2 Yoruba within the same time frame all in the name of "One Nigeria".

2. The coup of January 1966 which was "meant to release Awolowo" never made it to Awolowo's detention cell; rather it led to the elimination of 2 politicians who had openly expressed their suspicion of an "Igbo agenda" - Ahmadu Bello and Akintola. Meanwhile there was a lot of collateral damage - Ademulegun and his pregnant wife, Maimalari, et cetera. But ALL the Igbo "targets" managed to escape, all in the name of "One Nigeria". Meanwhile, another "target" in the person of Azikiwe who happened to be a cousin of the person considered to be the leader of the coup planners (Ifeajuna) was "coincidentally" out of the country as the coup commenced.

3. When Decree 34 was promulgated by Ironsi, Ojukwu insensitively hailed it and openly stated that it would allow Igbos to go take the jobs of Northerners; only to start talking about federalism/confederation after the wholly expected backlash; all in the name of "One Nigeria".

Can you tell us more about this concept of "One Nigeria" please?

emeka94:
Our sense of rationalization have been so dulled that paranoia is almost a part of our life.
While this is a sad reality; and one which most Igbo would not even admit, which underscores your sincerity, I have to say you only have your leaders to blame for this. Both present and past.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Ryabcool(m): 3:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
The same people who called yoruba women dirty and promiscous are now quick to claim a yoruba woman as one of them just because she's now a regent. I don't know what to say. I don't even get why they are so happy. The Yoruba wouldn't give a flying f-u.ck if it were to happen vice versa. So much noise over nothing that would affect their individual lives. I give up on the foolishness of these people.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Where Was Africa When The World Was Developing ? / Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident / The Origin Of Urhobo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.