Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,770 members, 7,806,123 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:48 AM

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba (51448 Views)

Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by OrlandoOwoh(m): 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Dike i her surname "DIKE" is a core igbo name you cannot deny that,she live with her husband in USA his name is still withheld at the moment cool
AK47, you must be an ESUT graduate. Shame on you for not having an understanding of what you posted. The said regent is not Ibo, but Yoruba. She is the daughter of the late king but married to an Ibo man.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:45pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Lol. You took my liberty of saying King Dike too far. Here is how it works in Yorubaland.

To be crowned an Oba you must be patrilinealy in line to succession. Waivers are created in extreme circumstances and matrilineality is considered. In a waiver, the candidate's patrilineal line must belong in one of Yoruba totem cults and as well deities.

It will take a waiver to ever get any of her children to put on the coronet or beaded crown. If such were granted, their father must be of a Yoruba totem family and deity.

Am telling you now the product of Adetutu Adesida and Mr Dike will likely become the next OBA after the rein of the new regent.
It happen in the time of ORUMANYIA a prince of bini which later became the first Alafin of OYO cool

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 5:52pm On Dec 31, 2013
Christy G: d kingship is patrilineal,so i dont think it will ever reach them.btw d adesida family is a big one,dey are lots of people to consider

You're correct, there are many Adesidas in akure. True.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 5:52pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Am telling you now the product of Adetutu Adesida and Mr Dike will likely become the next OBA after the rein of the new regent.
It happen in the time of ORUMANYIA a prince of bini which later became the first Alafin of OYO cool
dont put ur hope on dat cos it will never happen.obas are not selected dat way.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ak47mann(m): 5:53pm On Dec 31, 2013
addictiv:
Pls the Ogoni's also answer Dike..same with the Ikwerre's not just Igbo. But she is just a reagent and she is fufuiling her role as the customs demand. Even if she was made Oba what is wrong with her n her kids being eligible to the throne if the customs say so? People just keep bringing up unesseccary arguments.smh
So what is the meaning of Dike in OGONI AND IKWERE LAND cool
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 5:57pm On Dec 31, 2013
St_Black: Never knew Iboes are this enthusiastic when they feel a string of relationship is attached with Yorubas. SEE JOY NITORI OLOUN. grin grin grin

..AND BTW,

-how suddenly did she turn IBOE because she married an IBOE? grin

-how possible will her DI.CKE grin fl**h**ds have any claim to the throne, even when their mother is counting her days on that seat of Prestige ?

-Why are you the OP celebrating all b'cos a Yoruba woman with DI.CKE as marriage name is made Adele, not OBA?

So If She was IBOE nko.... grin so NL Yorubas wont get their rest till 1st of 2014. grin

grin grin grin

They fall over one another wanting to own a piece of Yoruba. This news already is in Aba and Onitcha and dont be surprised to soon hear that an Ibo woman was elected (they dont understand cultural coronation so it is an election to them) as Oba of Lagos (they forget its Akure, because they want Lagos by all means).

When the rumor about Obj being an Ibo man first surfaced they were popping champagne. Till today most of them still believe it even though it has repeatedly been proven wrong.

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:01pm On Dec 31, 2013
ak47mann: Am telling you now the product of Adetutu Adesida and Mr Dike will likely become the next OBA after the rein of the new regent.
Fool, the first Alaafin of Oyo was Sango.

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:03pm On Dec 31, 2013
Ibo, as usual, wanting to attach.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 6:04pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

grin grin grin

They fall over one another wanting to own a piece of Yoruba. This news already is in Aba and Onitcha and dont be surprised to soon hear that an Ibo woman was elected (they dont understand cultural coronation so it is an election to them) as Oba of Lagos (they forget its Akure, because they want Lagos by all means).

When the rumor about Obj being an Ibo man first surfaced they were popping champagne. Till today most of them still believe it even though it has repeatedly been proven wrong.

The Joy is SO SO evident, further EXEMPLIFIED by the OP creating a thread all because a Yoruba-turn-Ibo is been made Adele. grin

No wonder when I try my possible best to persuade my Iboe friend Omokaro to stop been much Yoruba AND try been Ibo-like a bit , bro, my friend will just call it bluffs. grin grin

...but its just fun with him, not that I take it seriously sha. grin

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by alaoeri: 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2013
DerideGull:

How many royal families do you have in Yoruba land or does it mean every family in Yoruba land is royal family?
Depending on the town some have two & some more, have never heard of a yoruba town with just one royal family (don't say there's none but have never heard).

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by nduchucks: 6:09pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

The Yoruba Crown is sacred! There are two of them - the beaded crown and the coronet.

An Oba elect as well as regents wear coronets but only an Oba is allowed to wear the beaded crown.

Under the coronet you are 'a divinity'. This is what the transcendantal means.

hmmm, this explanation sounds like one which could have been promulgated by one Negro_Ntn.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by nduchucks: 6:14pm On Dec 31, 2013
Orlando Owoh:
Fool, the first Alaafin of Oyo was Sango.

shocked shocked shocked

Isn't sango supposed to be the god of thunder and lightning in Yoruba land? Do I sense confusion? Please explain this.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 6:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
ndu_chucks:

shocked shocked shocked

Isn't sango supposed to be the god of thunder and lightning in Yoruba land? Do I sense confusion? Please explain this.

If you name your child Muhammed, does it mean he is the muslim Prophet Muhammed?

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by pokur: 6:31pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Lol. You took my liberty of saying King Dike too far. Here is how it works in Yorubaland.

To be crowned an Oba you must be patrilinealy in line to succession. Waivers are created in extreme circumstances and matrilineality is considered. In a waiver, the candidate's patrilineal line must belong in one of Yoruba totem cults and as well deities.

It will take a waiver to ever get any of her children to put on the coronet or beaded crown. If such were granted, their father must be of a Yoruba totem family and deity.

Just want to know,is the Osile Oke-Ona Egba of a totem family and cult?.Cos I know he succeeded of the matrilineal line,being the son of Esther Tejuosho n grandson of Karunwi 1

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by OAM4J: 6:32pm On Dec 31, 2013

Lol, let me make it simpler for you.

Like many said, she is Adele-Oba (One who holds the throne in wait) not Oba. She will NEVER become Oba not now and not in the future. Princess are never crowned, only Princes are made kings in Akure.

Her children are Princes and Princess of Akure no doubt because they have royal blood but they will NEVER become Oba (Deji) of Akure. Not because she married an Igbo man but because Kings are not picked from royal daughters but from Royal Sons.

11 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by pokur: 6:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
OAM4J:

Lol, let me make it simpler for you.

Like many said, she is Adele-Oba (One who holds the throne in wait) not Oba. She will NEVER become Oba not now and not in the future. Princess are never crowned, only Princes are made kings in Akure.

Her children are Princes and Princess of Akure no doubt because they have royal blood but they will NEVER become Oba (Deji) of Akure. Not because she married an Igbo man but because Kings are not picked from royal daughters but from Royal Sons.
Never say never.When Oba Oyekan died,his first son contested for the Obaship of Lagos,by right of his mother's house,Akinsemoyin.He lost,but he was considered still.
Matrilineal line,to some extent,is considered in Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 6:43pm On Dec 31, 2013
^^^^^^^
A candidate from a maternal line will only be considered worthy of a throne IF there are no other options.
Yoruba place a major emphasis on paternal link in the cases of their throne especially.
This woman's kids are princes & princesses and will never be considered too 'original' anyway given the maternal link and their father not being from Yorubaland. This is not to down-talk the Igbo but even in Yorubaland there are some towns/family houses often 'swept to the side' in matters such as this.

5 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:
Just want to know,is the Osile Oke-Ona Egba of a totem family and cult?.Cos I know he succeeded of the matrilineal line,being the son of Esther Tejuosho n grandson of Karunwi 1

He succeeded through his matrineal blood but is his father a foreigner?

In Yoruba society the family compounds belong in totems and worship a deity. There is no family compound in Yorubaland that is excluded from this.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:
Never say never.When Oba Oyekan died,his first son contested for the Obaship of Lagos,by right of his mother's house,Akinsemoyin.He lost,but he was considered still.

First before I ask anything, are you Yoruba?

Then if you are, Im sorry to say you didnt talk like one. No offence meant please.

If, you know how much less relevant a mother side is in the matter of Obaship, you wouldnt talk this you just said.

..and BTW, as I ask, are you Yoruba?

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 31, 2013
9jacrip: ^^^^^^^
A candidate from a maternal line will only be considered worthy of a throne IF there are no other options.
Yoruba place a major emphasis on paternal link in the cases of their throne especially.
This woman's kids are princes & princesses and will never be considered too 'original' anyway given the maternal link and their father not being from Yorubaland. This is not to down-talk the Igbo but even in Yorubaland there are some towns/family houses often 'swept to the side' in matters such as this.

Sup Cripz. Hw's your side.?

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by MayorofLagos(m): 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:

The crossover from Akinsemoyin to the Ologunkutere dynasty itself was on the occassion of a matrilineal waiver when the son of the sitting Erelu (Regent) was coronated the Oba. Her husband, an Ijesha man, was from a totemic family, worshipped Yoruba deity and was an Ogboni templar.

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by OAM4J: 7:01pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:

All applications will be looked into but know for sure that the Kingmakers know who they are looking for. Except by some clear and undisputed "divine pronouncements" or absence of any royal sons from the next Ruling family, or political powers interference, the kingmakers will not approve such application.

3 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Dhelake: 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:
Yes.. he they would be considered but they will only be choosed if there is no responsible person in the patrilineal line
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Ddy(m): 7:19pm On Dec 31, 2013
Mayor_of_Lagos:

Who is Mr Dike, does he not have a first name?

please sir dont be offended,WHAT IS UR SURENAME? Are u sure u hv one?
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Dhelake: 7:22pm On Dec 31, 2013
I don't know how it is done in akure but in other places... any body from the kings straight lineage is not eligible to be considered

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Dhelake: 7:27pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:
This can't be compared with.... Akinsemoyin is another ruling house entirely... but in this case... the grand child's will be contesting with the name of the ruling house their dead grandfather used in being crowned
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Dhelake: 7:34pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:

1 Like

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by pokur: 7:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
9jacrip: ^^^^^^^
OAM4J:
All applications will be looked into but know for sure that the Kingmakers know who they are looking for. Except by some clear and undisputed "divine pronouncements" or absence of any royal sons from the next Ruling family, or political powers interference, the kingmakers will not approve such application.
OAM4J:
Mayor_of_Lagos:

In Yoruba society the family compounds belong in totems and worship a deity. There is no family compound in Yorubaland that is excluded from this.
Mayor_of_Lagos:
The crossover from Akinsemoyin to the Ologunkutere dynasty itself was on the occassion of a matrilineal waiver when the son of the sitting Erelu (Regent) was coronated the Oba. Her husband, an Ijesha man, was from a totemic family, worshipped Yoruba deity and was an Ogboni templar.
Mayor_of_Lagos:

All u guys did is prove my assertion,the matrilineal line IS considered.Call it special circumstance or whatever,every selection process is special.
Btw,none is yet to show the "special circumstance" that allowed Adedapo Tejuosho succeed his grandfather to the throne of Osile Oke-Ona by right of his mother.
@St.Black,I'm not Yoruba.Doesn't matter if I am.I'm a historian,of Nnewi extraction n the political culture of the various peoples that make up the Nigerian space can be quite interesting.I don't hold with all that tribalistic nonsense u guys put up on here,so don't come at me from that angle ere I tell u ur agbo'le history.Let's make this an intellectual discussion,shall we?.We learn from one another that way.
Btw,I am Ibadan/Yorubaland bred,so I know what I talk about.

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by Howmanage: 7:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
Its making me smile how happy our Igbo brothers feel at this news. I have watched some threads with despair over the past few days but this rejoicing is a cheerful thing. You can really feel the love and honour being expressed for Yoruba culture

2 Likes

Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by pokur: 7:47pm On Dec 31, 2013
Dhelake: This can't be compared with.... Akinsemoyin is another ruling house entirely... but in this case... the grand child's will be contesting with the name of the ruling house their dead grandfather used in being crowned
This is actually what the OP was saying.Doesn't matter what the regnant name turn out to be,the issue being that one of royal blood by right of the mother CAN contest.Jorge Mario Bergoglio is today known as Francis,hope u get my drift.
Re: Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba by ChristyG(f): 7:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
pokur:
This is actually what the OP was saying.Doesn't matter what the regnant name turn out to be,the issue being that one of royal blood by right of the mother CAN contest.Jorge Mario Bergoglio is today known as Francis,hope u get my drift.
bros,dat happens in vew rare cases.so i wont put any hope on it.even d adesida family is a big one so dere are lots of people to consider before looking her way.its like 2 percent chance

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Lady Slumped On Seeing Emir Sunusi (Photos) / Where Was Africa When The World Was Developing ? / Nigerians React To Oba Of Lagos Palace Fire Incident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.