Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,642 members, 7,801,870 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation (4714 Views)

Stone-Base Roads Of Governor Umahi Of Ebonyi State - Photos / Peace Ibekwe, A Crime Bursting Female Commissioner Of Police Of Ebonyi(Pics) / Presidential Election Results From Sokoto State - The Nation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Johnsinia(m): 6:10pm On Dec 31, 2013
Before i start, i will like to plead to the administrators of this room to please take this topic to the front page. Thanks.

Many Nigerians, igbos inclusive have little or no knowledge about the salt of the nation, Ebonyi state. As a result, i am compelled to let Nigerians, Africa and the world know about the state in Nigeria called Ebonyi state, whose motto is the SALT OF THE NATION. As you read further, you will know why Ebonyi state is nicknamed the 'salt of the nation.'
Welcome to Ebonyi state, the salt of the nation.

CREATION

Ebonyi state is a new state. She is 17years old. She was created together with 5 other state in Oct 1st, 1996 by the Sani Abacha government. The other 5 state are: Gombe state, Bayalsa state, Nasarawa state, Ekiti state, Zamfara state.

located at the mainland of the south east states of Nigeria with coordinates: 6'150N 8'050E 6.250'N 8.083'E.

BOUNDARIES

Ebonyi state shares boundaries with Abia to the South, Benue to the North, Enugu to the West and Cross river to the East.

INHABITANT AND RELIGION

Ebonyi state is inhabited and populated primarily by Igbos of south-east of Nigeria. Christainity is the dominantely practise religion of the people of Ebonyi state, constituting 92% of the population. Islam constitute 1% of the population while other beliefs such as the traditional Africa gods worshippers constitute 7% of the population.

AREA AND POPULATION

Ebonyi state has a landmass of 6, 421.2 sqkm and according to the 2006 National Census, Ebonyi state has a population of 2, 176, 947.

CAPITAL

Abakaliki

MAJOR CITIES

Abakaliki and Afikpo

OTHER MAJOR TOWNS

Edda, Mgbo, Onueke, Ezzem, Nkalagu, Uburu, Onicha, Ishiagu, Ukawu, Amasiri and Okposi.

LOCAL GOVERNMENT AREA
Ebonyi state has 13 L.G.A: Abakaliki, Afikpo North, Afikpo South, Ebonyi, Ezza North, Ezza South, Ikwo, Ishielu, Ivo, Izzi, Ohaozara, Ohaukwu and Onicha.

ADMINISTRATORS AND GOVERNORS FROM CREATION TILL DATE

* Walter feghabo - Administrator (Oct 1996-Aug 1996)
* Simeon Oduoye - Administrator (Aug 1998-May 1999)
* Sam Egwu - Governor. Sam Egwu is the 1st governor of Ebonyi state (May 1999-May 2007)
* Martin Elechi - Governor (May 2007 - Present).

OCCUPATION

Indigenes are majorly farmers. Although, some are minners while others took to handworks and businesses.

AGRICULTURE AND ECONOMY

Ebonyi state has the highest internal gross revenue (IGR) in/among the South-east states of Nigeria. The government and the people make these possible through their love for agriculture and the mining of solid minerals. Ebonyi is primarily an agricultural producing state. EBONYI STATE IS THE LEADING PRODUCERS OF RICE, YAMS, POTATOES, AND CASSAVA IN NIGERIA. It also produces maize, beans in large quantities. Yams and rice is predominantly cultivated in Edda. Other cash crops are oil palms, sugar cane, cocoa and groundnuts.

MINERALS AND ECONOMY

Ebonyi state has large mineral resources deposit, but little large-scale commercial minning. Some of the solid minerals are lead, marble, zinc and limestome. LIMESTONE formation is located at Nkalagu, where Nigeria Cement Company is home. Also is a HUGE SALT DEPOSIT AT OPKOSI AND UBURU SALT LAKES, THE BIGEST SALT DEPOSIT IN NIGERIA . This is the main reason Ebonyi state is nicknamed 'THE SALT OF THE NATION.'

TOURISM AND RECREATION

Some exciting places to visit in Ebonyi state are:
- Unwana and Ndibe sand beaches, Afikpo
- Amanchore Cave, Afikpo South
- Uburu and Opkosi salt lake
- Mkpuma Ekwa Oku Rocks, Izzi L.G.A
- Slave market/routh monument in Ezza.

FESTIVALS

Ebonyi state has two major festivals: the Edda New Yam Festival and Masquerade Festival

EDUCATION

Ebonyi state have produce great and prominent educational personels ranging from students, teachers, lecturers, professors, doctorates etc. And lots of professionals base of their respective fields of studies. Also Ebonyi state have lots of higher institutions at both fed and state level and also private. Some of them are: Ebonyi state university (EBSU), federal university of Ebonyi, Ndufu-Alike Ikwo, Akanu Ibiam federal polytechnic, Unwana, federal college of Agriculture in Ishiagu, state college of Educatn in Ikwo.

POLITICAL SUCCESS

- Anyim Pius Anyim, former senate president and current secretary of the federatn
- Amb. Frank N. Ogbuewu, minister of culture & tourism (Jul 2003)
- Prof. C.O Onyebuchi, health minister (Apr 2010)
- Dr. Sam Egwu, min of Edu (2008)
- Dr. I. Aja, min of Edu

INFRASTRUCTURES AND DEVELOPMENT

Of the 6 state created by Abacha in 1996, Ebonyi state is said to be more develop than others academically, politically, economically, agriculturally and infrastructurally than others even above most older state.

EBONYIANS

Ebonyians are the most industrous, hardworking, strong, both loving and lovable people in Nigeria. They are less corrupt, humble and trustworthy. They believe in themselves for livelyhood instead of wasting all hope on crude oil and government as other state in Nigeria does.

1 Like

Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Sealeddeal(m): 6:25pm On Dec 31, 2013
is that all?
Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by jaiykem: 6:32pm On Dec 31, 2013
op! it produce Aja Nwachukwu, education minister 1960_1966. AKanu Ibiam eastern governor

1 Like

Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 31, 2013
Afikpo and Okposi, Uburu got beautiful girls. Abakaliki girls worwor.
Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Saraben(f): 8:28pm On Dec 31, 2013
op I feel your pain..you actually went to Google all this because your state was underrated?? I feel your pain
Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Saraben(f): 8:29pm On Dec 31, 2013
op I feel your pain..you actually went to Google all this because your state was underrated?? I feel your pain.pls mod front page or else somebody might commit suicide
Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Jlow2: 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2013
abeg liv ebonyi pple 4 me, at least der solid minerals hav made me.

1 Like

Re: The True Colour Of Ebonyi State: The Salt Of The Nation by Johnsinia(m): 3:36pm On Jan 01, 2014
Mr. Admin of ds forum, its a shame u ve the heart to ignored my plea to send this topic to the front page bt u can quickly send false rumours abt my state to the front page. Am disappointd in all of u.

(1) (Reply)

........... / Muslim Religious Leader Allows Men To Eat Wives If They Are Hungry / Ekiti Crisis: 50 Shops, Two Houses Burnt On Friday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.