Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,695 members, 7,802,036 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:18 AM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20837 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:50am On Jan 08, 2014
The Word of God is Life, Light, Health and Wealth. He has given us all we need that pertains to Life and Godliness, what we need is His Spirit to guide us in All Truth.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:34pm On Jan 08, 2014
tanx 4 updating Alwaystrue n Lateef.hope u guys are doing grt?

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:43am On Jan 09, 2014
Why You Can Depend on God's Word (2)

Thursday, 09 January 2014

'...The Word of God which...effectively works in you...' 1 Thessalonians 2:13 NKJV

Observe two things:

(1) God's Word is inspired. Chuck Swindoll writes: 'We've no problem with the Giver of truth...but wasn't the truth corrupted when He relayed it through sinful men? This is the perfect moment to get acquainted with revelation, inspiration and illumination. Revelation occurred when God gave His truth, inspiration when writers received and recorded it, and illumination when we understand and apply it. Your confidence in the Bible is directly related to your confidence in its inspiration. How can we be sure it's error-free and trustworthy? Paul provides help answering this question: All Scripture is inspired by God...for teaching...showing people what is wrong in their lives... correcting faults, and for teaching how to live right. (2 Timothy 3:16 NCV) When God revealed His truth to human writers He breathed out His Word. When we dictate a letter we breathe out a message and someone else types it. So did the writers simply take dictation? If you know much about the Bible you realise... Peter doesn't sound like John. John doesn't sound like David. Somehow each writer's personality was preserved without corrupting the text...That rules out the idea of dictation. Peter says, ...No...Scripture ever came from the prophet's own understanding, or...human initiative... [They] were moved by the Holy Spirit, and...spoke from God. (2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT) That answers that question!

(2) It'll hold you up. When you go through chaotic experiences, God's Word gives you stability. No other counsel will get you through the long haul. No other truth will help you stand firm in storms of doubt and uncertainty. No other reality will give you the strength you need each day.'

SoulFood: Lev 13:38-14:57, Mt 5:38-48, Ps 3, Prov 1:29-31

smiley This is The Word for Today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:44am On Jan 09, 2014
The stages of how we see the word of God:Revelation, Inspiration, Illumination. This is Awesome!!! kiss

@Odunharry, thanks for asking. I am fine.
@lateef4me, how are you.
Guys, have a nice day.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:50am On Jan 09, 2014
av a nyc day guys....lemme read thru d word 4 today..alrdy im sch though..
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 3:17pm On Jan 10, 2014
10 JANUARY 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Pray a Prayer of Release

‘…[The] curse does not come to rest.’

Proverbs 26:2

10 January 2014

Author Stormie Omartian grew up with a mother who told her she was worthless. She locked Stormie in a closet because she couldn’t ‘stand to see her daughter’s face’! Stormie writes: ‘I was raised by a mentally ill mother…and…her  behaviour left me with guilt, hopelessness, helplessness and deep emotional pain. By the time I was a young woman I was still locked in—only the boundaries were emotional not physical—a deep, ever-present pain which expressed itself through self-destruction and paralysing fear. Years later [with help from a Christian counsellor] I learned that unforgiveness as deeply rooted as mine…must be unravelled one layer at a time. One day I felt led to pray, “Lord, give me a heart like Yours for my mother.” Immediately I had a vision of her as a beautiful, fun-loving, gifted woman with no resemblance to the person I knew…I was seeing her the way God made her to be, not the way she’d become. What an amazing revelation! In an instant I put together the pieces of her past—her mother’s tragic death…the suicide of her beloved uncle and foster father, her feelings of abandonment, guilt, bitterness and unforgiveness…Touching the heart of God brought such forgiveness that when she died…I had no bad feelings. In fact, the more I forgave her the more God brought to mind good memories…People are often the way they are because of how life shaped them, and only God knows their history. To enjoy everything God has for you, pray a prayer of release and let go of the past.’ Only then can you move on.

Job 24-28, Matt 6:1-8, Psalm 46 , Proverb 1:32-33
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 3:21pm On Jan 10, 2014
The best way to completely forgive those who hurt us is to pray for them ....Talking from experience ,at the beginning it will look odd,difficult and impossible ,but with time and His grace ,your heart will soon let go of all those ugly memory and the love of God will fill the vacuum ......
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2014
lateef4me: The best way to completely forgive those who hurt us is to pray for them ....Talking from experience ,at the beginning it will look odd,difficult and impossible ,but with time and His grace ,your heart will soon let go of all those ugly memory and the love of God will fill the vacuum ......
nyc..God bless u 4 d update
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 10, 2014
Odunharry:
nyc..God bless u 4 d update
Please sir, if you don't mind, can you allow me to join you guys in posting the GREAT WORD OF GOD. It's very lovely seeing great people like you posting the Word Of God so as to inspire people. But I won't mind joining you guys only if you guys can allow me. Thanks in anticipation and God bless you guys a lot and may you never loose your reward in Heaven.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:28pm On Jan 10, 2014
Aysuccess99,

You can go ahead and post on this thread ,that's if nobody has posted for the day and you adhere to the format . God bless you as the join the team of those publishing His words !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 5:30pm On Jan 10, 2014
And also when you post,try and share with us what you learnt from the message . It's very important !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:08pm On Jan 10, 2014
lateef4me: And also when you post,try and share with us what you learnt from the message . It's very important !
yap
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:19pm On Jul 05, 2014
Alwaystrue and lateef4me welcome back
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 11:28am On Jul 06, 2014
TODAYS WORD FOR THE DAY

6TH JULY,2014

‘…He will reward each person
according to what he has done.’ Matthew 16:27

The Bible says, ‘For the Son of Man is
going to come in His Father’s glory
with His angels and then He will
reward each person according to
what he has done.’ Let’s be clear: how
you live now will determine what happens to you after you die. The
choices you make each day don’t
come to nothing when you pass away.
They matter and they’ll continue to
matter throughout eternity. Your
eternal destination is determined by what you believe, but your eternal
reward is the result of how you
behave. If you believe that and live
accordingly, it will change how you
think about life, how you think about God, indeed what you do one minute from now. God wants you to know that the positive consequences of your actions today can change your eternal prospects in astounding and
wonderful ways and He doesn’t want you to waste another minute. You don’t have to worry what awaits you on the other side of your last
heartbeat. Others don’t decide that—
you do! When the truth of this hits
you, you’ll say, ‘I can’t believe I’ve
prepared for my children’s future and my own retirement, but not given a thought to my real future!’ One man
put it like this: ‘I’ve always thought
about finishing well. Now it turns out that death is just the starting gate.’ The truth is that you can’t do anything about your past, but starting right
now you can change your future—
one choice, one day, one act at a time.
It’s up to you.

2 Cor 9:1 - 11:15, Luke 6:1-16, Ps 122 , Pr 15:10-14

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 4:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
Odunharry: Alwaystrue and lateef4me welcome back

cheesy I love your faith. And indeed we are back. Wow shocked , the thread is alive again.

@Odunharry, thanks for the message. God bless you.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:05pm On Jul 08, 2014
TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY
TUESDAY 8th JULY,2014

The Law of Love (1) ‘A new command I give you: Love
one another.’ John 13:34

A newspaper told the story of a boy
with cancer who was going through
chemotherapy and losing his hair. To
show their love and support, his
classmates all shaved their heads so
he wouldn’t be embarrassed about returning to school. The newspaper
carried a picture of them all with their
bald heads, accompanied by the
caption, ‘Everything we do, we do
together.’ That’s the ‘law of love’ Jesus
was talking about when He said, ‘A new command I give you: Love one
another.’ This must have sounded
radical to the people Jesus was
addressing, for they lived by two Old
Testament laws: 1) the law of revenge.
Before Moses came along, the law of the land was the law of the jungle. It
said in essence, ‘If you hurt me I’ll hurt
you and then hurt you even more!’
Enemies actively sought ways to settle
old scores because revenge wasn’t
just acceptable, it was encouraged. 2) the law of retribution. In Moses’ time,
revenge was replaced with retribution,
which allowed ‘an eye for an eye’, but
no more (Leviticus 24:20). You could
do to your enemies only what they
had done to you. To us this sounds harsh, but back then it was major
progress. Then Jesus came along and
introduced a third law: the law of love.
It meant you didn’t have to get even;
you could choose to forgive. Indeed, if
you didn’t, your prayers wouldn’t be answered. This new commandment
demonstrates the unconditional love
God shows to us—then calls us to live
the same way. So the law of love
should govern your life every day.

Judges 16:23-31 , John 15:1-17

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
Alwaystrue:

cheesy I love your faith. And indeed we are back. Wow shocked , the thread is alive again.

@Odunharry, thanks for the message. God bless you.
welcome ma
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 8:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
Thanks @Odunharry for keeping the thread active. Beautiful message today about love. Really lovely to see the act of that boy's classmates.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:44am On Jul 09, 2014
The Law of Love (2)

Wednesday, 09 July 2014

'Above all, clothe yourselves with love...' Colossians 3:14 NLT

God's love is the most powerful force the world has ever seen. And as a follower of Christ, it is up to you to carry the torch and keep it burning. The Bible says, '...Clothe yourselves with tender-hearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience... Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.' (Colossians 3:12-14 NLT) It's one thing to quote Scriptures, pray long articulate prayers in public, study theology and attend church. But only when people see your love will they be impacted by your life. Love, not words, is the true test of your discipleship. It's said that General Omar Bradley once made a business trip on a commercial airline wearing a regular suit instead of his military uniform. When he reached his seat, he started doing some paperwork. As it turned out, the man sitting next to him was a young army private who didn't recognise Bradley. So, after take-off, he turned to the general and said, 'Since we're going to be together for a while, it would be nice if we got to know each other. My guess is that you're a banker.' Not wishing to seem rude, but needing to finish his work, Bradley replied, 'No, I'm General Omar Bradley, a five-star general in the US Army. I head up the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Pentagon in Washington, DC.' Without missing a beat, the young private replied, 'Well, sir, that's a very important job, and I sure hope you don't blow it!' Your most important job today is to show God's love - so don't blow it!

SoulFood: 1 Sam 27-31, Lk 4:31-44, Ps 122, Prov 17:18-21

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 2:24am On Jul 11, 2014
10th July,2014TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY
The Importance of Fellowship
‘…You are members of God’s family.’
Ephesians 2:19

Nathaniel Hawthorne said, ‘No man, for any period, can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which is the true one.’ We like to wear masks in public, yet, only as we open up to one another can we truly change and grow. ‘…If we live in the light…we can share fellowship with each other…’ (1John 1:7 NCV). One author writes: ‘The world mistakenly thinks that intimacy occurs in the dark, but God says it happens in the light. Darkness hides our issues, but, when we are able to bring them out into the light, they lose their power, we find forgiveness, our wounded areas are healed and we begin to make progress.’ We’re afraid of transparency, yet it’s the only way to become spiritually and emotionally whole. None of us is as strong individually as all of us are collectively. We’re more consistent in our faith when others walk with us and encourage us. Over and over in the New Testament we’re told to be devoted to one another, submit to one another, forgive one another, bear one another’s burdens, honour one another, accept one another, teach one another, serve one another, encourage one another, pray for one another and love one another. You’re not responsible for everyone in your church, but you are responsible to them. God expects you to do whatever you can to serve them. Paul challenged the believers in Rome, saying, ‘…I want us to help each other…Your faith will help me and my faith will help you’ (Romans 1:12 NCV). That’s what it’s all about!

Song of Sol 5-8, Luke 6:37-49, Ps 109:1-15   , Pr 15:22
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 3:53am On Jul 19, 2014
The Loneliness of Leadership

Saturday, 19 July 2014

'...That you may not bear it yourself alone.' Numbers 11:17 NKJV

Moses said to God, 'Why have You...laid the burden of all these people on me?' (Numbers 11:11 NKJV) God replied, '...Gather to Me seventy men... I will take of the Spirit that is upon you and will put the same upon them...that you may not bear it yourself alone.' (Numbers 11:16-17 NKJV) Identify your God-given strengths, then delegate the rest to those who have strengths in your areas of weakness. Every leader is responsible for areas in which they have little or no competence. And when they try to exercise authority in those areas, they hinder everything and everybody under their watch. Put bluntly, there are things you are responsible for that you'll never be good at, that you need to keep your nose out of and give to others! Why do we have such a hard time doing this?

(1) Pride. Success is intoxicating and intoxicated people don't think too clearly. We assume our abilities are broader than they actually are. Admitting weakness doesn't make you less effective; it just confirms what everybody around you already knows!

(2) Ignorance. We feel bad about delegating our weak areas because we assume everybody hates to do what we hate to do. Not so. You're allowing others to shine; your limitations are opportunities.

(3) Independence. We think if the job is to be done 'right' we must do it ourselves. But leadership isn't just about getting things done; it's about getting things done through others. If you can't find somebody to hand things to, look in the mirror! The people who follow you are exactly where you've led them! If you've nobody to delegate things to, guess who needs to change?

SoulFood: 2 Sam 20:1-22:30, Lk 7:24-35, Ps 133, Prov 18:17-20

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 2:41pm On Jul 20, 2014
What Are You Living For?

Sunday, 20 July 2014

'Grey hair is a crown of splendour; it is attained by a righteous life.' Proverbs 16:31 NIV

We all live for something; the question is: what? Ben Patterson writes in The Grand Essentials: 'I have a theory about old age...I believe when life has whittled us down, when joints have failed and skin has wrinkled and capillaries have clogged and hardened, what is left of us will be what we were all along in our essence.

Exhibit A: a distant uncle. All his life he did nothing but find new ways to get rich. He spent his [last years] very comfortably, drooling and babbling constantly about the money he had made. When life whittled him down to his essence, all that was left was raw greed. This is what he had cultivated in a thousand little ways over a lifetime.

Exhibit B: my wife's grandmother. When she died in her mid-eighties she had already been senile for several years. What did this lady talk about? The best example I can think of was when we asked her to pray before dinner. She would reach out and hold the hands of those sitting beside her, a broad, beatific smile would spread across her face, her dim eyes would fill with tears as she looked up to Heaven and her chin would quiver as she poured out her love to Jesus. That was Edna in a nutshell. She loved Jesus and she loved people. She couldn't remember our names, but she couldn't keep her hands from patting us lovingly, whenever we got near her. When life whittled her down to her essence, all there was left was love...for God and love for people.' What are you living for?

SoulFood: Mt 5:9, Rom 12:17-21, Jas 3:17-18, 2 Ki 6:8-23

smiley This is The Word For Today

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 3:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
God bless u Alwaystrue

lateef4me hasnt loggd in nairaland 4 almst a month nw..i just hope he and his family is doing fine

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 5:41am On Jul 21, 2014
Live Till You Die!

Monday, 21 July 2014

'...When he died...his eyes were not weak nor his strength gone.' Deuteronomy 34:7 NIV

Don't listen to those who tell you you're 'too old'. God's promise is, 'They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh...' (Psalm 92:14 NIV).

For 20 to 30 years the century plant spreads out but produces no flowers. Then in one year, without warning, a bud sprouts. The bud, which resembles a tree-trunk-sized asparagus spear, shoots into the sky at the fantastic rate of nearly 20 cm per day, and reaches an eventual height of 8 to 10 m. Then it crowns itself with several clumps of yellowish blossoms that last almost a month.

Some of God's oldest are among His finest! The older, mellower Abraham was wiser than the brash, younger one. Caleb was still defeating giants and climbing mountains at 85. Anna, an elderly widow, didn't just pray for the Messiah; her vision kept her alive until He came. In his nineties, imprisoned on the Isle of Patmos, John wrote the Book of Revelation. Jesus said, 'Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it.' (Luke 17:33 NRS).

You can approach life in two ways: protect it or pursue it. When the voice of safety says, 'Build a fire in the hearth and stay in where it's warm,' the voice of faith says, 'Build a fire in your soul, then go out and pursue your vision with a passion.' Asked why he was still studying Greek in his nineties, Oliver Wendell Holmes is reported to have said, 'My good sir, it's now or never!' What matters is not the years in your life, but the life in your years. So, live till you die!

SoulFood: 2 Sam 22:31-24:25, Lk 7:36-50, Ps 140, Prov 18:21-22

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2014
Encouragement - It's a Powerful Thing

Tuesday, 22 July 2014

'If your gift is to encourage others, be encouraging.' Romans 12:8 NLT

Many a man and woman who quit would have kept going if they had just received a word of encouragement from someone. Encouragement is so vital that the Scriptures rank it up there with gifts like teaching and leadership (Romans 12:6-cool.

Here are two stories that illustrate the power of encouragement. Story one: Not long ago, the world watched as three grey whales, icebound off Point Barrow, Alaska, floated battered and bloody, gasping for breath at a hole in the ice. The whales' only hope was to be somehow transported eight kilometres past the ice pack to the open sea. Rescuers began cutting a string of breathing holes about 20 m apart in the 15 cm thick ice. For eight days they painstakingly coaxed the whales from one hole to the next, kilometre after kilometre. Along the way, one of the trio vanished and was presumed dead. But finally, with the help of Russian icebreakers, the other two whales, Putu and Siku, swam to freedom.

Story two: Jackie Robinson was the first black player in the US to play major league baseball. While breaking baseball's colour barrier, he faced jeering crowds in every stadium. Playing one day in his home stadium in Brooklyn, he made an error and his own fans began to boo him. As he stood, humiliated, at second base, 'Pee Wee' Reese came over and stood next to him. He put his arm around Robinson and they faced the crowd together. The fans grew quiet; the game continued. Robinson later said that arm around his shoulder saved his career!

Encouragement - it's a powerful thing. So who can you encourage today?

SoulFood: 2 Pet 1-3, Lk 8:1-15, Ps 146, Prov 18:23-24

smiley This Is The Word For Today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 5:51am On Jul 23, 2014
Don't Lose Your Compassionate Edge (1)

Wednesday, 23 July 2014

'...When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion for them...' Matthew 9:36 NKJV

Christ's concern for a hurting world revealed itself in two ways: condemnation towards those who took advantage of others and compassion towards those who couldn't help themselves. One time He took a whip and threw the money changers out of the temple; another time He healed the sick and fed the hungry.

There's a lesson here: you can become complacent and say, 'I know there's trouble in the world. It's regrettable. But as long as it doesn't touch me personally, I'd prefer not to think about it. Cheating goes on every day in business and politics. That's just the way things are.' Like the priest and the Levite in the story of the Good Samaritan, you 'pass by on the other side' (Luke 10:30-36).

The sad fact is that even churches that faithfully preach the Word and win souls (two all-important missions) fail in this area. Why? Because they're afraid of being identified with those who promote a 'social gospel'. But the opposite should concern us! 'If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity...how can the love of God be in him? ...Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.' (1 John 3:17-18 NIV)

What moves you? Success in business? Building a great family? Excelling in ministry? Those are worthy goals, but if you want to know what moved Christ, read this: 'When He saw the multitudes, He was moved with compassion.' So don't lose your compassionate edge.

SoulFood: Nah 1-3, Lk 8:16- 25, Ps 14, Prov 19:1-4

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:43am On Jul 24, 2014
Thanks alwaystrue for keeping the thread alive..
I av been busy in school but will make sure i post the word too
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 8:47am On Jul 24, 2014

TODAYS WORD FOR TODAY
24TH JULY,2014

DoNT LOOSE YOUR COMPASSION EDGE(2)
…Faith…if it does not have works,
is dead.’ James 2:17

Mother Teresa said, ‘The biggest
disease today isn’t leprosy or cancer.
It’s the feeling of being uncared for,
unwanted—of being deserted and
alone.’ As a result, she spent her life
rescuing sick babies and giving dignity to the dying. Asked why she
did it, she replied, ‘Because Jesus did.’
What a great answer! When
simultaneous disasters hit different
countries around the world,
humanitarian organisations say we suffer from ‘donor fatigue’. Let’s add
one more: ‘compassion failure.’
Philosopher Miguel de Unamuno
wrote, ‘Warmth, warmth, more
warmth! For we are dying of cold and not of darkness. It is not the night that kills, but the frost.’ Think about this: of the 1,189 chapters in the Bible, 250 contain the words of the prophets.
That’s roughly 25 percent. Half of what they say denounces sin and the other half condemns those who see human suffering and do nothing about it.
Yet events that horrified those same
prophets take place in our world
every day, and we’re immune to them.
Like wearing a watch, you get used to it and after a while you don’t even notice it. But the prophets noticed!
They never became desensitised to sin
—or human suffering. And you
mustn’t either. You say, ‘But my main
focus at the moment is on building up my faith.’ That’s a good thing; but never forget that ‘Faith by itself, if it
does not have works [of compassion], is dead.’

Eph 4:17 - 6:24, Luke 9:37-45, Ps 42:1-5, Pr 16:16
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:56am On Jul 26, 2014
@Odunharry,
thank God. I wish you success in school.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 7:58am On Jul 26, 2014
Don't Lose Your Compassionate Edge (3)

Friday, 25 July 2014

'...We do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathise with our weaknesses...' Hebrews 4:15 NKJV

Dr Joseph Parker told his theology students, 'Preach to the suffering and you will never lack a congregation. There is a broken heart in every pew.' Don't lose your compassionate edge, because you can't heal a broken heart unless you can first empathise with it. The Bible says, 'We do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathise with our weaknesses.' When you lose touch with people, you lose your touch when it comes to ministering to them. Jesus went looking for the leper, the loser, the lonely, the lost and the lowest in society. And He was comfortable around them. Are you?

Serving others is actually good for your health. A survey conducted at 44 major universities reveals that giving protects your overall health twice as much as an aspirin protects your heart against disease. Dr Stephen Post, who conducted the survey, says, 'Giving is the most potent force on the planet and will protect your whole life.'

The benefits of compassion to your physical health are so strong that if compassion wasn't free, pharmaceutical companies would herald the discovery of a stupendous new drug called 'give back' instead of Prozac.'

We give for different reasons: to get an income tax deduction; to make a good impression and have people think well of us; or because we're put under pressure. You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving. Your time, talent and treasure are to be shared with others. When you refuse, you're neither happy, holy nor healthy.

SoulFood: 1 Tim 1-3, Lk 8:40-56, Ps 1, Prov 19: 9-11

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 8:03am On Jul 26, 2014
Never Stop Learning

Saturday, 26 July 2014

'...You need someone to teach you...' Hebrews 5:12 NIV

Marlene LeFever quipped, 'Becoming an effective teacher is simple. You just prepare and prepare until drops of blood appear on your forehead.' In the 1920s Charlie Chaplin was the most famous person in the world.

Born into poverty, he worked on the stage to support himself and by the age of 17 he was a veteran performer. Then at the age of 29 he did something unheard of: he signed the entertainment industry's first million-dollar contract. But he wasn't successful simply because he had talent and drive. He was also teachable. He kept learning and perfecting his gift.

Even at the height of his career, the highest paid performer in the world didn't rest on his laurels. He said: 'When I watch one of my pictures, I pay attention to what the audience doesn't laugh at. If several audiences don't laugh at a stunt, I tear it apart and try to discover what's wrong. On the other hand, if I hear laughter I hadn't expected, I ask myself why that particular thing rang the bell with the audience.'

The truth is, if Charlie Chaplin had replaced teachability with complacency and arrogance, we probably wouldn't even remember his name today. But he didn't. He never forgot the basics and he committed himself to learning. Eventually he co-founded United Artists, a mega-movie company that's still in business today.

There's an important principle in this story. The Bible says, 'Though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's Word all over again.' If you want God to use you, stay teachable and never stop learning.

SoulFood: 1 Tim 4-6, Lk 9:1-17, Ps 42:1-5, Prov 19:12-1

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:28am On Jul 26, 2014
Alwaystrue: @Odunharry,
thank God. I wish you success in school.
thanks ma...how is work and family?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

As A Christian, Does Your Dressing Really Matter ? / How Good Is Electricity Supply In Your Area During This Christmas? / Re:The Only Saviour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.