Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:34 AM

The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional (20851 Views)

The Word For Today, 2015 - A Daily Devotional / The Word For Today: A Daily Devotional / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by annice2014: 10:57am On Sep 13, 2014
I've always been bless by this devotional, but couldn't lay hand on a copy.
Any idea on how to get a copy of it
thanks
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:01am On Sep 15, 2014
annice2014: I've always been bless by this devotional, but couldn't lay hand on a copy.
Any idea on how to get a copy of it
thanks
no idea sir/ma....i remember when Intercntinental bank was still distributing some year back for free...i always go there,get some copies and distribute to people around me..

U can stick to this thread for update of d word or visit www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:03am On Sep 15, 2014
We didnt post the world for yesterday..for those who missed it..

Will post shortly..
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:08am On Sep 15, 2014
[b]Sunday 13th september,2014

It’s Time to Take Action (1)

‘The righteous are as bold as a lion.’ Proverbs 28:1

John Ruskin said, ‘What we think, or
what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.’ If you’re serious about succeeding at what you believe God called you to do, you must take three steps:
1) Do something!
Sir Edmund Burke said,
‘Nobody made a greater mistake, than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.’ Praying, planning and deliberating are all good, but there comes a point when you have to step out in faith and act. And if you’re naturally sedentary or easily discouraged, you’ll have to confront your fear and reluctance and take that first step.
Declaration of Independence signer John Hancock said, ‘All worthwhile men have good thoughts, good ideas and good intentions, but precious few of them ever translate those into action.’ God promised to part the waters of the Jordan River so that His people could go through and enter the Promised Land. But the waters parted only after they stepped in (Joshua 3:11-17).

The same principle applies to you. In the beginning you just need to get moving. Try different things. It’s easier to start doing something right if you’ve already started doing
something.

It’s easy to steer a car
when it’s moving forward, but almost impossible when it’s standing still. Dennis Bakke, co-founder and former CEO of global energy supplier AES Corporation, said, ‘We try a bunch of stuff… see what works…and call that our strategy.’ In other words, if you don’t know exactly what to do, don’t let it keep you from doing something.

Ex 19:16 - 20:22, 2 Tim 3:14 - 4:8[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 5:13am On Sep 15, 2014
Thanks alwaystrue,lateef4me and co for ur prayers and encouragement...Finish my exam yestaday..
will be less busy.i hope and pray God give us the strenght to continue in his work and cntinue to be each other brother's keeper,Amen

annice2014 welcome to the thread

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Bantino(m): 9:08am On Sep 15, 2014
YOUR ANGEL OF LIFE IS AROUND

“And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.” - Mark 16:5

The angel that rolled the stone away sat on it in the tomb. The stone that blocks the tomb is a symbol of finality; once a casket is sealed, the dead is forgotten and ready for burial. Your situation may seem finalized and hopeless, God is able to intervene and turn the situation to a blessing.

•God sends angels to minister to His children, yours are around even in your current circumstance. See Hebrews 1:13-14

•Certain uncontrollable situations are actually credentials for receiving angelic intervention.

•The deployment of faith in prayer and action puts your angels to action to solve difficult life puzzles. See Acts 12:1-7

•When Jesus rose, the stone that is blocking your joy and peace was rolled away.

•The stone that blocks your progress is already rolled back.

PRAYER POINTS
•Father, send your ministering angels to my aid

•Father, by your angels, turn my situations to testimonies

•Father, let your host invade the camp of my enemies and recover every of my fortunes

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 6:57pm On Sep 15, 2014
Bantino: YOUR ANGEL OF LIFE IS AROUND

“And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.” - Mark 16:5

The angel that rolled the stone away sat on it in the tomb. The stone that blocks the tomb is a symbol of finality; once a casket is sealed, the dead is forgotten and ready for burial. Your situation may seem finalized and hopeless, God is able to intervene and turn the situation to a blessing.

•God sends angels to minister to His children, yours are around even in your current circumstance. See Hebrews 1:13-14

•Certain uncontrollable situations are actually credentials for receiving angelic intervention.

•The deployment of faith in prayer and action puts your angels to action to solve difficult life puzzles. See Acts 12:1-7

•When Jesus rose, the stone that is blocking your joy and peace was rolled away.

•The stone that blocks your progress is already rolled back.

PRAYER POINTS
•Father, send your ministering angels to my aid

•Father, by your angels, turn my situations to testimonies

•Father, let your host invade the camp of my enemies and recover every of my fortunes

thanks Bro 4 this msg

this where we get our msg daily 4m www.ucb.co.uk/word-for-today.html
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 7:01pm On Sep 15, 2014
[b]MONDAY 15TH SEPTEMBER,2014

It’s Time to Take Action (2)

‘His heart is established; he will not
be afraid.’ Psalms 112:8

Cartoonist Jonny Hawkins drew a
sketch of five board members sitting
around a table at the annual church
business meeting. One says, ‘I see our church’s biggest problems as
communication and procrastination.’ To which a fellow board member
replies, ‘I vote that we postpone this
discussion till next year.’ We smile, but you know it’s the truth, don’t you? In yesterday’s daily devotion we discovered that the first step to success is: Do something! Now let’s
discuss the second step:

2) Do something today. Runner, author and cardiologist George Sheehan puts it this way: ‘There are those of us who are always about to live. We are waiting until things change, until there is more time, until we are less tired, until we get a promotion, until we settle down—until, until, until. It
always seems as if there is some major event that must occur in our lives before we begin living.’ If you want to achieve your God-given dream, you can’t allow yourself to be one of those people! ‘How can I avoid it?’ you ask.
By doing something that will move
you forward today! You can’t fulfil your dream all at once. You have to
get there in steps, and the only time
you can actually take a step is—today.
German philosopher Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said, ‘Each indecision brings its own delays, and days are lost lamenting over lost days… What you can do, or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has power and genius in it.’ So before the sun sets today, do something that will move you further toward your dream

Jos 5:1 - 8:29, Luke 22:24-38, Ps 78:65-72, Pr 20:26-30[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:40am On Sep 16, 2014
@Odunharry,
Congrats on the successful completion of your exams and your successful result in advance. Amen. Thanks for your continuous publishing of the word for today. It always comes with great insights.
You will be surprised the people that come in here to read these posts.

@Bantino & @anice2014, thanks for popping in and posting. The word of God always comes anew and this is why apart from any private study we do, the word for today comes usually at a time that one needs an advice or another.

@Lateef4me, you scarce o.

2 Likes

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Alwaystrue(f): 6:45am On Sep 16, 2014
It's Time to Take Action (3)

Tuesday, 16 September 2014

'They go from strength to strength.' Psalm 84:7 NKJV

The three essential steps to success are:
(1) Do something;
(2) Do something today;
(3) Do something every day.

One personal growth expert says, 'We read about people who sail around the world in a thirty-foot sailboat or overcome handicaps to win a gold medal at the Olympics, and we later find their stories are all about persistence.' If you want to know your future, look at your daily routine. You don't determine your future, you determine your habits and your habits determine your future. The secret to success lies in doing the right things day after day. If you do that, you will eventually succeed.

But a word of caution: important priorities have a way of slipping out of place while you're focused on less important things. Some sacrifices are simply not worth it:

(1) In your attempt to build a reputation, don't lose your character. Reputation is what people think you are; character is what God and those closest to you know you are.

(2) Don't sacrifice your family for your career. If you do you'll end up winning the admiration of those who don't matter, while losing the love of those who do.

(3) Don't sacrifice your relationship with God for material things.

God told His people, 'You may say to yourself, "My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me." But remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth... If you ever forget the Lord... you will surely be destroyed.' (Deuteronomy 8:17-18 NIV)

SoulFood: Neh 11-13; Luke 22:14-23; Ps 78:56-64; Pro 24:5-10

smiley This is The Word For Today

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:31am On Sep 16, 2014
Thanks alwaystrue 4 ur prayers and d msg today
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:51pm On Sep 18, 2014
[b]TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY
18th september,2014

Listen More, Say Less ‘Be…[a ready listener].’ James 1:19

Talking instead of listening—will get you into trouble.

Two geese were preparing to fly south when a frog asked if he could go along. They questioned how he could do it. ‘Easy,’ he said. ‘You guys hold a stick between your beaks and I’ll hang on with my mouth.’ Off they went as
people looked up, admiring their
teamwork. The trio was making great progress until somebody below shouted, ‘Great idea! Whose was it?’ That’s when the frog opened his mouth and yelled, ‘Miiiiiiiine!’
Every time you open your mouth there are consequences! So learn to listen.
Plutarch said, ‘The talkative listen to no one, for they are ever speaking. And the first evil that attends those who know not how to be silent is that they hear nothing.’ Listening without having to air your knowledge or interject your opinion is a quality of character that proves you’re mature. Larry King once said, ‘I remind myself every morning: nothing I say this day will teach me anything. So if I’m going to learn, I must do it by listening.’
Jesus was a great listener, and as a
result He attracted people like a magnet.
Doubtless there were times He was tired and didn’t feel like it—but He listened anyway. When the disciples fussed among themselves, and the Pharisees grumbled and caused trouble, Jesus focused on the important things. He listened, He
spoke, and people followed. Listening is often more effective than talking.
In fact, there’s a point in every
conversation where you need to say
less and listen more. In those moments you not only hear what
others are saying, but what God is
saying to you!

Jos 11-13, Luke 22:54-62, Ps 19, Pr 21:3[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 10:53pm On Sep 18, 2014
didnt update d word here ystaday,wasnt feeling 2 fine bt im getting better now..
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:52am On Sep 21, 2014
It is well with us,Amen
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:54am On Sep 21, 2014
[b]Pray About It

Sunday, 21 September 2014

'Why is this happening to me?'
Genesis 25:22 NIV

The Bible says: 'The Lord
answered [Isaac's] prayer, and
his wife Rebekah became
pregnant. The babies jostled each
other within her, and she said,
"Why is this happening to me?" So she went to enquire of the
Lord. The Lord said to her, "Two
nations are in your womb, and
two peoples from within you will
be separated; one people will be
stronger than the other, and the older will serve the
younger."' (Genesis 25:21-23
NIV) Even when your vision is
born of God, you'll experience
times of both faith and fear. You
can have clarity in one area, yet experience confusion in another.
What should you do when this
happens? Do what Rebekah did:
take it to the Lord in prayer. She
asked, 'Why is this happening to
me?'
Question: Are you experiencing fear and foreboding in the middle of your success? Are you wondering,
'What's wrong with me? Things
are going well, so why am I
anxious?' You've achieved some success and things are starting to
come together after a long, hard
struggle. But instead of feeling
happy, you're disappointed
because you're not experiencing
the joy and fulfilment you expected; you're actually worrying about what might go wrong in the future.

In every success story you'll find chapters of uncertainty. And when it
happens, you must bring your turmoil to the Lord. Ask Him for
help with the inner conflict you're
experiencing, and to give you
peace concerning the vision He's
given you. And remember - no
matter what you achieve, its ability to satisfy you is limited. No
amount of success can ever take
God's place in your life.

SoulFood: 1 Ki 17:1-6; 1 Ki
18:16-39; 1 Ki 19:9-18; 2 Ki
2:1-12[/b]
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 1:02am On Sep 21, 2014
for those with prayer request/want people to pray for u..

www.prayforme.com.au/mobile-prayer-request
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 9:36am On Sep 22, 2014
[b]Monday 22nd september,2014

Walk in Forgiveness
‘The merciful…will be shown mercy.’ Matthew 5:7

The German philosopher
Schopenhauer compared the human race to porcupines huddled together on a winter night: ‘The colder it gets outside, the more we huddle together for warmth. But the closer we get…the more we hurt one another with our sharp quills. And in the lonely night of earth’s winter, eventually we begin to drift apart and wander out on our own and freeze to death in our loneliness.’ What’s the answer? ‘Forgive us our trespasses, as we
forgive those who trespass against
us’ (Matthew 6:12). President Ronald Reagan understood this. After an attempt on his life in 1981, his daughter Patti Davis said, ‘The following day my father said he knew his physical healing was directly dependent on his ability to forgive John Hinckley.
By showing me that forgiveness is the key to everything, including physical health and healing, he gave me an example of Christ-like thinking.’ Perhaps your wounds are old ones: an abusive parent, a cheating spouse, a business deal gone sour. Or maybe they’re still fresh: an overlooked promotion, an unpaid debt, kids who’ve forgotten you exist.
Either way, you’ve a decision to make.
Get over it, or get even. Let it heal, or
turn to hate. Release it, or resent it.
Resentment allows whatever’s eating you, to eat you up. It stokes the fire, fans the flames, and replays the pain.
Think about it: has your resentment
brought you relief? If today you stood by the grave of the one who hurt you, would you be free? It’s doubtful.
‘The merciful…will be shown mercy,’ because they’ve experienced an even greater grace—God’s—and
forgiveness is the key to
understanding it.

Jos 19:24 - 21:45, Luke 23:13-25, Ps 34, Pr 21:14-16[/b]

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 11:46am On Sep 22, 2014
@Alwaystrue ,ran out of data some days ago .....Reason for not being on this thread
@Odunharry,thanks for today's update...Success in ur exams !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 12:00pm On Sep 22, 2014
lateef4me: @Alwaystrue ,ran out of data some days ago .....Reason for not being on this thread
@Odunharry,thanks for today's update...Success in ur exams !
thanks...i am thru with ma exams....Been sick but im getting better sir..
How is ur family?
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:39pm On Sep 22, 2014
We are doing fine my brother ....
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 7:03am On Sep 23, 2014
23 SEPTEMBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Dealing with Church Conflict

‘God blesses those who work for peace.'

Matthew 5:9

23 September 2014

Dr Gary Fenton says church conflict is a lot like championship wrestling—not nearly as painful as it looks! As a leader, you need to recognise the difference between: 1) Disagreement and conflict. Conflict exists when a group is stuck and can’t make a decision. For example, two strong-willed church committee members had a spirited discussion, and the following morning a concerned young pastor met with them to iron out their differences. He asked them if they were ready to make a decision, or if their heated debate the night before had stopped them from moving on. After due consideration both conceded that while their discussion the previous night had resembled a street fight, it was more like TV’s Jeremy Kyle show: good theatre, but the participants don’t quit when things get heated! 2) Reconciliation and resolution. Resolution is about coming up with answers; it’s about bringing people into relational unity, not necessarily into agreement. The fact remains that while some issues will never be resolved, they can still be reconciled. It’s in the process of seeking resolution that you learn to compromise and find middle ground. 3) Being peaceful and being a peacemaker. A pastor who refused to get involved in church controversy was a constant no-show at board meetings. He justified his absence as ‘the desire to be peaceful’. But being peaceful and being a peacemaker aren’t the same. Peacemakers don’t sit on their hands…they’re in the thick of things trying to reconcile the parties…they’re risk-takers who are willing to enter the fray with an expanded heart. That’s why ‘those who work for peace…will be called the children of God.’

Jos 22-24, Luke 23:26-34, Ps 52, Pr 21:17
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
24 SEP 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Simply Serving (1)

‘Through love serve one another.’

Galatians 5:13

24 September 2014

Bill Wilson builds Sunday schools in some of New York City’s worst areas. He has been stabbed and shot, and had team members killed. A Puerto Rican lady who could barely speak English said to him one day, ‘I want to do something for God, please.’ Bill said, ‘Okay, ride a different Sunday school bus every week and just love the kids.’ So she rode a different bus—Bill has dozens of them—and loved the children. After several months she became attached to one little boy. ‘I don’t want to change buses any more. I want to stay on this one,’ she told Bill. The boy came to Sunday school every week with his sister and sat on the lady’s lap, but never made a sound. She would repeatedly tell him, ‘I love you, and Jesus loves you.’ One day to her amazement, he turned around and stammered, ‘I…love you too.’ Then he gave her a big hug. That was at two-thirty on a Sunday afternoon. At six-thirty that night the boy was found dead in a dumpster under a fire escape. His mother had beaten him to death and thrown his body in the trash. ‘I love you, and Jesus loves you.’ Those were some of the last words that little boy heard in his short life—from the lips of a Puerto Rican woman who could barely speak English. Bill says, ‘Who among us is qualified to minister? Who among us even knows what to do? Not you; not me. But I ran to an altar once and got some fire and just went. So did this woman who couldn’t speak English. And so can you.’

Col 1-2, Luke 23:35-43, Ps 54, Pr 21:18-21
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 6:38pm On Sep 25, 2014
25 SEP 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Simply Serving (2)

‘Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant.’

Mark 10:43

25 September 2014

Pilate had an opportunity to acquit Jesus of any wrongdoing, but instead he called for a basin and washed his hands of the entire matter. His attitude was, ‘I’m not getting involved.’ And a lot of people have that same attitude. But not Jesus. The night before His death He called for a basin of water and washed His disciples’ feet. He taught them: ‘Whoever desires to become great among you shall be your servant’ (Mark 10:42-43 NKJV). Peter objected because foot-washing was a duty designated to the lowest servant in Middle Eastern households, and he considered it beneath Christ’s dignity. Catherine Marshall writes: ‘We, the disciples, are to be the servants, I want to insist along with Peter. But Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me” (John 13:8 NKJV). This is a stunning and stupendous thought. Unless I can believe in this much love for me, unless I can and will accept Him by faith as my servant as well as my God, unless I can truly know that it’s my good He seeks…then I cannot have His companionship.’ This is so contrary to the world’s philosophy where everybody wants to lead and nobody wants to serve. But to be like Jesus is to be a servant, for that’s what He called Himself. Never have goals so lofty that they blind you to the needs of those around you. Without a servant’s heart, you’ll be tempted to use your gift for personal gain, or to exempt yourself from areas you consider beneath you. The truth is, the only way to serve God is by serving those He loves.

Col 3-4, Philemon, Luke 23:44-56, Ps 13, Pr 21:22-27
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:59am On Sep 26, 2014
26 SEPTEMBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Simply Serving (3)

‘If you think you are too important to help…you are only fooling yourself.’

Galatians 6:3

26 September 2014

In his book ‘Swim With the Sharks’, leadership expert Harvey Mackay writes about Philip Pillsbury of the famous Pillsbury milling family: ‘The tips of three of his fingers were missing…the unmistakable mark of a journeyman grain miller, albeit a somewhat less-than-dexterous one. Philip Pillsbury had an international reputation as a connoisseur of fine foods…but to the troops his reputation as a man willing to do a hard, dirty job was the one that mattered…And you can be sure everyone was aware of it.’ Following in the footsteps of Jesus calls for being service-oriented, not self-absorbed. Often the reason we don’t volunteer is because we think we can’t do it as well as somebody else. We’ve made the mistake of making excellence an idol by buying into the philosophy, ‘If I can’t do it right, I won’t do it at all’. The fact is, less-than-perfect service is better than the best of intentions. If you’re not willing to do it imperfectly in the beginning, you’ll never get out of the starting gate. Almost everything we do is done poorly at first. That’s how we learn. God’s plan has always been to involve as many folks as possible, not have everything run by a few experts. The best of people make mistakes; it’s how you gain knowledge and develop character. The Bible says, ‘If you think you are too important to help…you are only fooling yourself.’ Sometimes you’re called to serve upward to those in authority; other times you’re called to serve downward to those in need. Either way, you’re serving God only when you’re willing to do what’s required.

Lev 16, Lev 23:26-32, Hebrew 9:1-14, Hebrew 13:11-16
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 10:08am On Sep 26, 2014
"The fact is, less-than-perfect service is better than the best of intentions"

God does not look at our proficiency,skills and expertize in working for Him ,but He's looking at the heart of doing it,our purpose of serving i.e.to glorify Him or glorify ourselves and so even when we are struggling in our services to Him and does not do it to standard ,He's still delighted in our works !
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by annice2014: 11:10am On Sep 26, 2014
@odunharry tanx for the link.
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by Odunharry(m): 11:23am On Sep 26, 2014
annice2014: @odunharry tanx for the link.

welcome,u can join us on this thread too
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:00pm On Sep 27, 2014
27 SEPTEMBER 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Simply Serving (4)

‘Throw yourselves into the work of the Master.’

1 Corinthians 15:58

27 September 2014

Paul writes, ‘Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God?…If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ’ (Galatians 1:10 NIV). A true servant of God is content to work quietly in the shadows. They know that in heaven God will openly reward people we’ve never even heard of—people who taught emotionally disturbed children, cleaned up after the incontinent, nursed AIDS patients, and gave their lives in a thousand unnoticed ways. ‘Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for Him is a waste of time or effort.’ During World War II, when England needed to increase its coal production, Winston Churchill called together labour leaders. He asked them to picture in their minds a victory parade which he knew would be held in Piccadilly Circus after the war. First in line would be the sailors who kept the vital sea lanes open. After them would come the soldiers who returned from Dunkirk, then went on to defeat Rommel in Africa. Next would be the pilots who’d driven the Luftwaffe from the skies. Last of all, he said, would come a long line of sweat-stained, soot-streaked men in miners’ caps. Someone would shout from the crowd, ‘And where were you during the critical days of our struggle?’ And from ten thousand throats would come the answer, ‘We were deep in the earth with our faces to the coal.’ Not all jobs are prominent and glamorous. But those who serve God with their ‘faces to the coal’ play a vital role in fulfilling His purposes in the earth.

Nehemiah 1-4, Luke 24:1-12, Psalm 91, Proverb 21:28-31

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 8:02pm On Sep 27, 2014
Tomorrow is Sunday,the holy sabbath,day of the Lord ...Remember to keep it holy by fellowshiping with the children of the Lord !

1 Like

Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:17am On Sep 29, 2014
Couldn't update yesterday but please find below the updates ....
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:18am On Sep 29, 2014
28 SEPT 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Simply Serving (5)

‘Through love serve one another.’

Galatians 5:13

28 September 2014

In his book ‘The Pursuit of Excellence’, Ted Engstrom writes: ‘I was cleaning out a desk drawer when I found a flashlight I hadn’t used in over a year. I flipped the switch but wasn’t surprised when it gave no light. I unscrewed it and shook it to get the batteries out but they wouldn’t budge. Finally after some effort they came loose. What a mess! Battery acid had corroded the entire inside of the flashlight. The batteries were new when I put them in and I’d stored them in a safe, warm place. But there was one problem. Those batteries weren’t made to be warm and comfortable. They were designed to be turned on—to be used. And it’s the same with us. We weren’t created to be warm, safe and comfortable. You and I were made to be turned on.’ You must constantly remind yourself that first and foremost you’re called to be God’s servant. That way, interruptions won’t frustrate you. ‘Whenever we have the opportunity, we have to do what is good’ (Galatians 6:10 GWT). Be sensitive and spontaneous; otherwise great opportunities to serve God will pass you by. ‘Never tell your neighbours to wait until tomorrow if you can help them now’ (Proverbs 3:28 GNT). Look for small tasks nobody else wants to do, then do them as if they were great things—because God is recording it all. Make yourself available. Don’t fill your time with other pursuits that limit your availability. Be ready to jump into service at a moment’s notice. Allow God to change your plans without becoming resentful. As a servant, you don’t get to choose where you’ll serve. God does. 

2 Samuel 6:11-23, Luke 18:18-27
Re: The Word For Today, 2014 - A Daily Devotional by lateef4me(m): 9:19am On Sep 29, 2014
29 SEP 2014

TODAY'S WORD FOR TODAY

Don’t Act on Impulse!

‘He that believeth shall not make haste.’

Isaiah 28:16

29 September 2014

As twins go, Jacob and Esau were very different. But they quickly learned to negotiate. Have you ever watched children make a deal that favoured one over the other? For example, one offers the other a candy bar in exchange for an expensive video game. Well, that same dynamic was at work between Jacob and Esau. Esau had been out hunting and came home exhausted and hungry. Nothing mattered to him except food—and certainly not something as remote as a future inheritance. In a moment of weakness he said, ‘I am about to die…what is this birthright to me…So…he…sold [it] to Jacob…[for] bread and stew’ (Genesis 25:32-34 NKJV). It was a decision Esau would live to regret, and couldn’t undo. Recovering addicts are taught the importance of observing their H.A.L.T. sign. When they’re Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired, they’re in danger. And so are you! Acting on impulse will cause you to: 1) buy stuff you don’t need at prices you can’t afford; 2) react before you get all the facts, resulting in a loss of respect, opportunities and good relationships; 3) compromise your character for a few moments of sinful pleasure; 4) quit in the middle of the race, or worse, on the threshold of victory. The Bible says, ‘He that believeth shall not make haste.’ When you make choices based on short-term gratification rather than life-long convictions and goals, you always lose out in the end. So don’t take the deal; don’t trade your God-given destiny for momentary gratification. Be patient and hold fast. When you do, God will bring your dreams to pass in ways that honour instead of diminishing them.

Neh 5-7, Luke 24:13-24, Psalm 68:1-18, Proverb 22:1-5

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Church Of England Appoints Woyin Dorgu As First Black Bishop / "Self Defence Is Your Right" - Pastor Paul Enenche (Video) / Re:The Only Saviour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.