Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,456 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:09 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180898 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 10:52pm On Nov 13, 2014
DamiEsan:
Thank you very much @xfire and @nabsprada
to think that i just saw this thread and have learnt so much in a little time.
My best so far!
Graduated and waiting for service.
smileysmileysmiley thanks to xfire and every great mind on this thread,wishing the very best in advance@service year
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 13, 2014
nabsprada:

smileysmileysmiley thanks to xfire and every great mind on this thread,wishing the very best in advance@service year

All the best Nabs
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 14, 2014
Work Hard and Smart

Far too many people are waiting for their success to appear in the form of a winning lottery ticket. The sad fact is that a huge proportion of first-division lottery winners are totally broke within 24 months of winning their major prize.
Why? Perhaps it’s because they never experienced the discipline in earning their wealth.
Most of us expect far too much in an instant; why do think credit card debt within this country is up in the billions of dollars? Maybe it’s the need for instant gratification! The simple fact is that nothing takes the place of hard work and disciplined effort; committing to a goal and sticking with it until you see a result. Remember that we will only reap what we first sow.
Put in the hard, intelligent work and there is no doubt that you will reap a rich harvest of prosperity (which by the way isn’t always necessarily monetary). Work hard and smart!
Quote: For every disciplined effort, there is a multiple reward. - Jim Rohn
(http://www.focalsuccess.com/2014/11/work-hard-and-smart.html)

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by justfree1(m): 4:48am On Nov 15, 2014
Job/work situation in Nigeria hardly gives people enough time for anything else, except weekends most times.
Most people would love to build an additional income source but timing is the problem.
I just found a way we could build an additional unlimited income source, part time even while we are at work.
interested? send me a message.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kfrosh: 5:51pm On Nov 17, 2014
@xfire and Co. I still want to continue with engineering field and I can perform better under any academic rigour now. I am strongly advised to apply for OND program in PTI that going to the school and obtaining good grades gives better job opportunities. Having in mind that going for PGD and masters won't change anything after a 3rd class degree. please your advise ??
xfire:

Hmm...all hope isn't lost.
What are your options? Do you still want to continue with engineering or do something else? Do you still think you can still cope with engineering? Do you mind a career switch? Or are you weighing all the available options? Answer these and I may chip in one or 2 tips.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 18, 2014
nabsprada:

tnx dear. Wish u d best @service year too. #e-hugs.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 19, 2014
So good to have you back sir, I've missed this thread so much. And I believe I'll even benefit more from your wealth of knowledge now that I'm a graduate though still awaiting service.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 12:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
Hello all. It felt really good to stumble on and read through this thread. I guess we all have stories in life.
I never like to comment on threads rather I just read thru and smile thru d inspiration gathered. I dunno why I felt compelled to write dis time. Mine is not too long...graduated in 2011(Mech Eng) with an over 80% GPA, waited for 6months (till July 2012) just like xfire for NYSC, started applying for jobs by early 2013. Did a few job tests/interviews while serving. Got an offer in a small engineering coy (an EPC) in lagos by May 2013. Concluded NYSC in June 2013 and joined the coy immediately as an office engr. Did 2 more tests and interviews while working there and got a bigger offer with an oil servicing coy in august 2013 as an offshore engr. I'm currently with them till now(typing from a deepwater field), but highly dissatisfied with life as regards where I want to be.
To be continued...back to work
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 1:18pm On Nov 20, 2014
I totally agree with virtually everything xfire has said. We always think there's a perfect company out there till u get there and realize it's not the bed of roses u once imagined. Later on, u'll find so many wrongs the once from-a-distance-perfect organization would do that u wont feel like remaining there by d following day.
I used to think when I started working offshore that that was the peak for me because: no daily lagos traffic(unlike office jobs), u spend almost same time u used offshore to rest at home as time-off, u eat good food(5 times daily),u have time to watch EPL, play video games, play indoor sports, etc., and u are far from the too many problems that would trouble ur brain when u are at home. But d disadvantages are equally huge: Little or no chance to pursue a new, bigger job offer since one may not be on land when scheduled for a test/interview(I missed several this year), having little time to pursue all that u left behind for d past month(if on one month rotation like me),sometimes it's chilling but sometimes working on d field could be really tough that u gotta push ur body to it's breaking point,etc.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 1:21pm On Nov 20, 2014
xfire, hope u are still on this thread as I've got some questions for you concerning some career decisions I plan to take.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 3:29pm On Nov 20, 2014
olujastro:
xfire, hope u are still on this thread as I've got some questions for you concerning some career decisions I plan to take.
Interesting story...
Still here

@nabsprada, how's service going?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kfrosh: 5:06pm On Nov 20, 2014
@Xfire plss respond to my question.Tanx
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 7:34pm On Nov 20, 2014
So xfire...during my undergrad years as a mech student, I fell in love with power plant engineering so much that my lecturers knew me because I had always made their power plant exam look like a joke. so I decided that I was gonna practice engineering as a power engr. As life would have it with me, the two places I happened to have got job offers are in the oil and gas sector, and unfortunately, all the power companies' test I got invited for, I wasn't available to sit for them(offshore reasons).
Now with about 1.5yrs in d oil and gas industry, 'my eyes have opened' to the bountiful opportunities d industry offers ahead of others. So i've said goodbye to power eng.
Currently I work under d maintenance department with a servicing coy, but what I really want is to go all out into this industry with an IOC or even an indigenous E&P.
The question now is: do u think an overseas msc in pet eng is almost a sure bet into an E&P provided one can prove himself? I have few friends who went thru this route having tried to secure a job for a few months to no avail. Upon return to naija(with either a pet eng. or subsea msc), they got juicy E&P offers.
Truth is...On one hand, I don't wanna imagine being broke(without a job) having tasted d power of money in taking care of myself, my family, and friends in need . On the other hand, I feel the earlier I take this decision while still young(at 25), the better for me.
Over to you!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:38pm On Nov 20, 2014
xfire:

Interesting story...
Still here

@nabsprada, how's service going?
In all fairness,camp has been 70percent fungringrin and 30percent stresssadsad

Thanks for asking sir...still awaiting "striking the balance between work and social life"smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 20, 2014

All the best Nabs
Thanks bosssmiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 20, 2014
DamiEsan:

tnx dear. Wish u d best @service year too. #e-hugs.
#hugs#smiley

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2014
olujastro:
So xfire...during my undergrad years as a mech student, I fell in love with power plant engineering so much that my lecturers knew me because I had always made their power plant exam look like a joke. so I decided that I was gonna practice engineering as a power engr. As life would have it with me, the two places I happened to have got job offers are in the oil and gas sector, and unfortunately, all the power companies' test I got invited for, I wasn't available to sit for them(offshore reasons).
Now with about 1.5yrs in d oil and gas industry, 'my eyes have opened' to the bountiful opportunities d industry offers ahead of others. So have said goodbye to power eng.
Currently I work under d maintenance department with a servicing coy, but what I really want is to go all out into this industry with an IOC or even an indigenous E&P.
The question now is: do u think an overseas msc in pet eng is almost a sure bet into an E&P provided one can prove himself? I have few friends who went thru this route having tried to secure a job for a few months to no avail. Upon return to naija(with either a pet eng. or subsea msc), they got juicy E&P offers.
Truth is...On one hand, I don't wanna imagine being broke(without a job) having tasted d power of money in taking care of myself, my family, and friends in need . On the other hand, I feel the earlier I take this decision while still young(at 25), the better for me.
Over to you!
Wow, you left school in 2011 and ur still 25. Man u r young. I studied mech too but went thru an unconventional route to work in high finance out of love (not necessity, biko kwa). But after a career meltdown im now goingback to my engineering roots. All my peers( bar none) who left to study for an msc in pet engr or a related degree virtually all have good jobs with the top oil majors or service coys like schlum and subsea7. I'm about to do same now, got admitted into very good msc petrolem and subsea programs in the states There's simply no other option for me, study now or live to regret wondering what if i did. Instead of talking about it I'd advise you take the risk of applying to only the top programs in the UK --Heriot watt, imperial, Cranfield --and US-- Stanford, UT austin, Texas A&M. If you are admitted with funding or scholarships, weigh the cons and pros of leaving a job you dread for a very promising career prospect. It's night and day in my opinion. Personally i think the upside of an msc is higher at this point in your career, considering you want to break into an oil major.

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 21, 2014
wow I love this thread like die, I wanna give a big shout to all the contributors in the page...nice tips and information... I hope you guys won't mind sharing some of this tips with my fans on my Facebook page
cheers
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olujastro: 3:43pm On Nov 22, 2014
Horayce:

Wow, you left school in 2011 and ur still 25. Man u r young. I studied mech too but went thru an unconventional route to work in high finance out of love (not necessity, biko kwa). But after a career meltdown im now goingback to my engineering roots. All my peers( bar none) who left to study for an msc in pet engr or a related degree virtually all have good jobs with the top oil majors or service coys like schlum and subsea7. I'm about to do same now, got admitted into very good msc petrolem and subsea programs in the states There's simply no other option for me, study now or live to regret wondering what if i did. Instead of talking about it I'd advise you take the risk of applying to only the top programs in the UK --Heriot watt, imperial, Cranfield --and US-- Stanford, UT austin, Texas A&M. If you are admitted with funding or scholarships, weigh the cons and pros of leaving a job you dread for a very promising career prospect. It's night and day in my opinion. Personally i think the upside of an msc is higher at this point in your career, considering you want to break into an oil major.

Oshe bros. Well said indeed!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by ENGREMMATEX(m): 6:49pm On Nov 22, 2014
EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ACHIEVED IS GODS GRACE NOT BECAUSE OF YOUR HARD WORK SO, GIVE GOD ALL THE GLORY. HARD WORK IS IMPORTANT BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS GOD. GOD GIVES WEALTH.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:03pm On Nov 22, 2014
ENGREMMATEX:
EVERYTHING YOU HAVE ACHIEVED IS GODS GRACE NOT BECAUSE OF YOUR HARD WORK SO, GIVE GOD ALL THE GLORY. HARD WORK IS IMPORTANT BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS GOD. GOD GIVES WEALTH.
God's grace works quite alright. But my Bible tells me I should Work and Pray.
They all have a role to play. Grace, Work, Prayer all join grin

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:38pm On Nov 22, 2014
Mr XFire, I must confess my hidden love for your work, Ideology and Personality.....God bless you for us smiley

So I have a very big problem. I feel I am beginning to come across as confused professionally. I need HELP.

Where I'm I coming from?
I'm a graduate of Mechanical Engineering. I finished from Lautech with a 2:1 this year(precisely May), I got engaged exactly a week after my final exams in School and left for Bonny to take an NLNG sponsored Naval Engineering welding training with Hyundai Heavy Industries. I finished the training in August and did what every sane graduate would do, I started applying for jobs. I was lucky to land my 1st Interview just a couple of days after my welding Training ended..

The interview was for a Technical Management Trainee position with one of the top players in the downstream Oil and gas sector. I did a couple more interviews and my job search was brought to an halt after about 2 months of serious search.

Yes, I got the Technical Management Trainee job smiley
I'm presently a month into the job and I'm liking it....

Here is my problem sir, as you may have noticed, I'm yet to go for NYSC. Camp opens in 4 days and I'm almost certain I'll miss it. Sir, is it really worth it? Waiting another 4 months to commence the 1-year long scheme.

The other problem is my radical approach to job search. I'm seeing greener pastures everywhere! As a matter of fact, I recently received a trainee process engineer Interview with Weam and Company Limited in Portharcourt and I'm already contemplating going. I'm confused...... Please Sir, I need your Advice sad
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:28am On Nov 23, 2014
taiwolusol:
Mr XFire, I must confess my hidden love for your work, Ideology and Personality.....God bless you for us smiley

So I have a very big problem. I feel I am beginning to come across as confused professionally. I need HELP.

Where I'm I coming from?
I'm a graduate of Mechanical Engineering. I finished from Lautech with a 2:1 this year(precisely May), I got engaged exactly a week after my final exams in School and left for Bonny to take an NLNG sponsored Naval Engineering welding training with Hyundai Heavy Industries. I finished the training in August and did what every sane graduate would do, I started applying for jobs. I was lucky to land my 1st Interview just a couple of days after my welding Training ended..

The interview was for a Technical Management Trainee position with one of the top players in the downstream Oil and gas sector. I did a couple more interviews and my job search was brought to an halt after about 2 months of serious search.

Yes, I got the Technical Management Trainee job smiley
I'm presently a month into the job and I'm liking it....

Here is my problem sir, as you may have noticed, I'm yet to go for NYSC. Camp opens in 4 days and I'm almost certain I'll miss it. Sir, is it really worth it? Waiting another 4 months to commence the 1-year long scheme.

The other problem is my radical approach to job search. I'm seeing greener pastures everywhere! As a matter of fact, I recently received a trainee process engineer Interview with Weam and Company Limited in Portharcourt and I'm already contemplating going. I'm confused...... Please Sir, I need your Advice sad

Hello Sir,

I know you addressed this to x-fire but I would like to add my "2 cents". Getting a job is awesome BUT (in my opinion) you do need to serve (NYSC). You said you finished the welding training and are now in the Technical Management trainee job? I do not understand the part about waiting 4 months to commence NYSC- is your job a "permanent" or "contract" one?

Whatever it is, you do need to do the NYSC. if it is "contract" job and your contract is expiring in 4 months, then by all means, wait for it to expire and then commence NYSC- afterall, medical professionals have to WORK for one year before commencing NYSC. If it is a permanent position, and as you say, you are enjoying the job- then, maybe you could speak to your boss and get to be posted to work/serve there (nothing really is impossible).

Wish you all the best
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 10:31am On Nov 23, 2014
xfire:
[size=14pt]4th CV[/size]

Background:
She has a bachelors in Economics from UI. She didn't get a job immediately after NYSC so she decides to further her education in UK. She has no previous work experience. Her desire to join a reputable oil firm as stated in her career objective. A few comments:

1. A career objective does not have to be long. It can be a sentence, especially if your CV is rich.

2. MSc holders with zero experience may include some of the key course modules to further highlight their areas of strength and knowledge. It is absolutely not necessary for BSc holders to write out course modules.

3. Notice that she decided to write skills acquired during his NYSC work experience rather than achievements. That's another alternative if you can't think of any notable achievement in a particular work/volunteer experience.

4. She won a couple of academic scholarships and included them clearly on her CV. She also emphasized that she graduated in the top 2% of her postgraduate class.

5. Though she doesn't currently have a job, she decided to engage herself in blogging and writing articles relating to her field. What a wonderful way to utilize her time and keep herself current in her chosen field. Furthermore, she joined relevant professional bodies.

6. To save space, she merged skills and hobbies together, thus maintaining a 2-page CV.

7. She wants to be a financial analyst, hence her NYSC experience in the bank will be useful. That prompted her to give a detailed description of her role as an administrative assistant.

Hello Xfire, how do I download a copy of these CV template? I need it as a PDF or doc file. my email: johnansa1@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 1:05pm On Nov 23, 2014
darellrivers:

Hello Sir,

I know you addressed this to x-fire but I would like to add my "2 cents". Getting a job is awesome BUT (in my opinion) you do need to serve (NYSC). You said you finished the welding training and are now in the Technical Management trainee job? I do not understand the part about waiting 4 months to commence NYSC- is your job a "permanent" or "contract" one?

Whatever it is, you do need to do the NYSC. if it is "contract" job and your contract is expiring in 4 months, then by all means, wait for it to expire and then commence NYSC- afterall, medical professionals have to WORK for one year before commencing NYSC. If it is a permanent position, and as you say, you are enjoying the job- then, maybe you could speak to your boss and get to be posted to work/serve there (nothing really is impossible).

Wish you all the best

What I mean is that the Next available NYSC batch will be in 4 months time(March Next year). The job I'm on is a Permanent Job and I know I can always make arrangements with my Boss to Make the Next year's NYSC a possibility.

I'm just reminiscing and all undecided. Is the wait really worth it?.....

I await your reply mr Xfire. cc Mr darellrivers smiley

Thank you
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by liricyst(m): 1:39pm On Nov 23, 2014
Very nice Mr Xfire..may God continue to keep you. Wish i saw this a long time ago..i wouldn't be where i am now

Anyways,I am a graduate of Elect/elect engineering but i got 2-2 and had an extra year in school and i am 26 (month of may).Finished nysc service in febrary this year. Of course, you can guess that Job hunting hasn't been easy.
Due to my grade and extra year,i decided i would have to start small. So i started applying for internships and temporary jobs in addition to full time jobs. I attended CCNA classes and compTIA A+ classes at CCT in benin during service,i have their certificate but yet to write the International exams. A friend of mine linked me to a coy looking for a temp contract staff who had basic knowledge of networking and computers. Funny enough,only TWO people applied in all,including me. I was able to edge out the other because i could explain the working principle of a laser printer which was a basic in A+
Long story short, i started work there in october but the contract runs out by Jan ending and could be subject to extension. The pay is 55k. I still apply for other jobs though and i'm hoping that i my little experience here will help me to look more employable.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 3:10pm On Nov 23, 2014
taiwolusol:

What I mean is that the Next available NYSC batch will be in 4 months time(March Next year). The job I'm on is a Permanent Job and I know I can always make arrangements with my Boss to Make the Next year's NYSC a possibility.

I'm just reminiscing and all undecided. Is the wait really worth it?.....

I await your reply mr Xfire. cc Mr darellrivers smiley

Thank you

Since camp is opening in 4 days time, and you are (in your words) "almost certain to miss it", then there is no point crying over spilt milk. Do your job, plan to go in 4 months time... and see if you can serve in your current organisation.

wish you all the best
cheers
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 4:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
darellrivers:

Since camp is opening in 4 days time, and you are (in your words) "almost certain to miss it", then there is no point crying over spilt milk. Do your job, plan to go in 4 months time... and see if you can serve in your current organisation.

wish you all the best
cheers

Thank you Sir smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 23, 2014
darellrivers:

wish you all the best
cheers
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by chubbypearl(f): 5:52pm On Nov 23, 2014
Mr Xfile-THANK YOU...

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.