Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,713 members, 7,805,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180859 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by shakol91(m): 11:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
Hi house,I cherish all your contributions . My story: I'm a graduate of Accounting Education but haven't served yet,I took Insurance Marketing job last year May (to boost my working experience and serve as source of income), but I've been finding it difficult to get a single customer since then till now. I've made series of research online and I've come to realize that I need to design a good Prospecting Letter in a way that we catch the attention of my prospects to buy what I'm selling. Please I need people that have the experience on how to draft a good Insurance Prospecting letter (either format or prototype). I want the Prospecting Letter to focus on marketing against Business Risk like fire,theft/burglary and goods in transit. I've shifted my area of marketing from Life to Non-life due to my environment . I'll really appreciate anyone that can be of help. God bless you all. I created this thread www.nairaland.com/2147555/thread-professional-trained-insurance-brokers but not a single comment on the thread since I created it. Please help me. I know I can do it and I'll surely have a good testimony with your helps @ xfire, darellrivers, bigdreams, therealadonye, et al Please
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by valdes00(m): 12:10am On Mar 03, 2015
Waoo... Took d topic 1yr + to hit front page... Seems d OP offended a mod.... May God not delay our blessin, favour n upliftment jus as d mods delayed dis OP's post.... AMEN

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Smartresult(f): 12:12am On Mar 03, 2015
we are not hre to read notes pls.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by VickyRotex(f): 12:15am On Mar 03, 2015
valdes00:
Waoo... Took d topic 1yr + to hit front page... Seems d OP offended a mod.... May God not delay our blessin, favour n upliftment jus as d mods delayed dis OP's post.... AMEN

Nah, I guess its hitting it again...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:54am On Mar 03, 2015
VickyRotex:

yea...

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by toluxe0075: 2:39am On Mar 03, 2015
Wow!! I'm glad this wonderful thread made the front page once again, although it's a shadow of it's former self because of the nairaland data loss but I believe it still contains a lot of eye opening advice. I really learnt a lot when the thread was fully loaded Kudos to xfire and others who have been contributing immensely to the group.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by eromspete(m): 3:37am On Mar 03, 2015
Unauthorized Adverts just made me lose interest in this thread. undecided

Nice original post
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by emmabest2000(m): 4:39am On Mar 03, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by valdes00(m): 5:00am On Mar 03, 2015
VickyRotex:

Ok ooo...

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Agnesgrace(f): 5:06am On Mar 03, 2015
Great... I like this thread.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by atseyi(m): 5:10am On Mar 03, 2015
What an informative experience, you have done a great job to spare your time to post on this forum just to inform others, like said information is power, many do not know, many are in the dark, many are confused and many have just lost hope in their future just because of lack of people like you who have been there and could share experiences and realistically given hope to the hopeless. Great Job!

Readers, It's your Job to get to your destinations, take responsibility as everything is POSSIBLE only when you try, fail and try again!!!

xfire:
I'm back. I will continue..............

PRE-NYSC AND NYSC DAYS

After my graduation I was sad and depressed because I didn't graduate with a first class. I never imagined my life without a first class. It haunted me for long, and to be sincere, it took me more than a year to fully recover from it. I feared for the job market because I felt I was disadvantaged age-wise, especially with my 'pure-water' 2-1 degree. I stayed at home for 6 months after graduation before I was mobilized for service. During that period, I whiled away time by teaching in a secondary school. I also began subscribing for job email alerts, and started reading online job websites and the famous Guardian newspaper. Eventhough I wasn't eligible to apply, I started studying the pattern of job vacancies. I was always interested in the companies that were recruiting and their requirements. I wrote my first amateur CV upon graduation. I have since refined my CV writing skills. Thank God I don't have to write personal CVs again, at least not anytime soon. I will only review people's CV's from time to time. I will talk a bit about good CV writing later in the thread.
I taught in a public secondary school during my NYSC days. This gave me ample time to socialize and also prepare for the labour market. Many of my colleagues 'worked' their service to Lagos where they served in big organizations I could only dream of. But I made use of the only resource I had - TIME. I started reading about how to how to write good CVs and prepare for interviews. I also started putting in my applications 6 months to the end of my service year. I applied for the PTDF overseas scholarship. I learnt about various job sites during this period. One surprising fact is that I observed that many of my fellow 'corpers' had little or no information about job hunting, CV writing, interview skills and presentation. A lot of corp members could not write a simple CV. Many had little or no computer knowledge. Many had very poor writing skills. With my basic CV writing art, I had to help many of the corps members to write their CV's especially those about to pass out. In many cases, I followed them to the cyber cafe to create emails for them and make online applications for them (then the internet was accessible as it is today). I still know many graduates today that cannot write and speak properly. Many of them are still without job or are currently underemployed. And I doubt if they can improve their employment status if they don't make themselves employable. This leads me to lesson #5.

LESSON 5: Basic writing skills, good communication skills and computer literacy are 3 fundamental elements of employability.
When it is said that many Nigerian graduates are unemployable, they simply mean they lack simple communication skills most of the time. They simply cannot speak, write or express themselves comprehensibly enough. It's unfortunate but this is true in some cases. In addition, it is simply unacceptable to be a computer illiterate in this information age. Many job vacancies are posted online and most information are electronic in nature. I have a friend (from the same village) who studied accounting. He is young and sharp but he could hardly speak or write English without grammatical errors due to poor primary and secondary education. He went for various interviews during his NYSC days but was not successful in any. I had to encourage him to start reading books and writing. I also advised him to get a good part-time English teacher, if possible. Guess what? He got one. Today, he is gainfully employed in a bank. If you are poor in communication, start working on it now! The secret is practice. Practice, practice, practice! There is no alternative. Communication skill is quite important in oral interview stage, and I will elaborate on that when I get there. You don't have to be an orator like Barack Obama, or Martin Luther King Jr. But you need to be able to comprehend others, and be able to express yourself in a formal setting. My communication skills was not as good as it is now. I developed it with constant practice and discipline. As a matter of fact, I am not a gifted orator. I am still improving on my presentation skills. Till date, I still practice ahead of time before I make formal presentations in meetings, except if it is impromptu. Presentation skill is also important for career progression. Good presentation skills gives a positive impression about your intellectual and leadership ability (even if it is just an impression!).
That is why I feel pity for many job seekers who can hardly write properly but will keep using shorthand. Posting and commenting clearly on forums like Nairaland is one of the ways of improving your writing skills.

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by baba11(m): 7:04am On Mar 03, 2015
Finally, it made front page....

Well done xfire for sharing your experience with us
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ayoola171(m): 7:16am On Mar 03, 2015
Strongly following.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Chigorkizz(m): 8:08am On Mar 03, 2015
Thank God am here
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by olaleye23(m): 8:14am On Mar 03, 2015
God bless u bro.pls can I get ur email I.d.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by encryptjay(m): 8:33am On Mar 03, 2015
Finally, this great thread is on front page. This is the most reasonable thread for this year so far. This thread should always be on front page for peeps to learn from.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by dastranger(m): 8:36am On Mar 03, 2015
?? cool
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by slap1(m): 8:36am On Mar 03, 2015
Best thing I've read this new month, aside my Bible. God bless you, xfire.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by okolimike(m): 8:48am On Mar 03, 2015
Cool one. Now how best do you think someone with a 2.2 can break into the job market?
What is the best material to read when preparing for Job aptitude test?
Especially CBT.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by blesoh(f): 9:41am On Mar 03, 2015
Am so happy to see ds thread.its never too late
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by 100Cents: 9:50am On Mar 03, 2015
xfire:
LESSON 4: Iron sharpeneth iron. Build contacts with people with similar dreams and ambitions. Most of my friends and mentors were also top students like me who inspired me and challenged me to do more. Many of them are currently pursuing their PhD on scholarship, while others are working in top companies all around the globe. I met a lot of them in final recruitment stages. Surround yourself with people that will encourage and motivate you. Never surround yourself with pessimists. Maybe one of the reasons I didn't make a first class was that I shared the same apartment in my final year with a coursemate of mine who was a pessimist and an underachiever. He was always complaining about one lecturer or one course or the other. He was simply overwhelmed, and unfortunately, I subconsciously allowed his negative attitude into my mind. I became overwhelmed and it affected my reading concentration. As expected, my CGPA dropped. Good enough, I got over it. . Today, that friend of mine is still without a job.

The power of the tongue.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by jasper7(m): 10:06am On Mar 03, 2015
subscribed.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 03, 2015
Hi NL, am a graduate of agric. Economics and extension pls I neee de advice of u guys on ao to set up wit #50k before I get a job or even drop looking for job if I c de yield of my biz. Thnks pls a fellow NL.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by minexpo(m): 11:23am On Mar 03, 2015
helo...nice write up. ..plz i want to discuss sumtin wit u...how can I contact u?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bigdreams(m): 11:52am On Mar 03, 2015
gabbyalonzo:
Hi NL, am a graduate of agric. Economics and extension pls I neee de advice of u guys on ao to set up wit #50k before I get a job or even drop looking for job if I c de yield of my biz. Thnks pls a fellow NL.

Hi,

I advice you visit the Business Section and create a new topic asking this same question.

You will definitely get good answers from members there.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.