Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,491 members, 7,781,471 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:00 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180523 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Mixty: 11:22pm On Mar 22, 2015
darellrivers:
Hello Everyone,

I am glad that this thread is still on the front page of the career section... I have been away for too long. I apologise to all those who have sent me mails... I have been quite busy adjusting to the hustle and bustle of Lagos lifesmiley
And how's Lagos? smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Rickywowoz: 7:37am On Mar 23, 2015
Please who can help me review my cover letter it's urgent... please guys i need your help
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:38pm On Mar 23, 2015
Rickywowoz:
Please who can help me review my cover letter it's urgent... please guys i need your help
Send it to me. I will help you review.
xfire2014@gmail.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Rickywowoz: 9:12am On Mar 24, 2015
^^^^^^
I have sent it sir, God bless you
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by jonnyp(m): 2:44am On Mar 27, 2015
Good day sir/ma,my name is john I reside in lagos.I intend to run a car hire business with uber an american car hire business in inland and the required vehicle by this company is any car from 2008 upward tokubo or nigeria use.And which I prefer the nigeria use( camry) which cost btw 1.2 to 1.4.will appreciate any business minded man or woman that help finance it with atleast 1.1M and I will pay the rest.I will add 400K ontop the said amount u add and will be paying 120k monthly or better still if u have idea where I can get a loan without collateral.thanks my contac no 08030744465
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Doogee(m): 5:24am On Apr 10, 2015
Here is a business chance.
If you have the capital and resources or you have the connections to those who have capital and resources. Please read below.

(If you can get us connected to smartphone dealer in Africa except Algeria and Egypt because we already national exclusive agent there and we make a deal with them, we can give you our phones and 1 percentage of our profit as reward)

Try Doogee from China.
We are the next tecno in China.
We are looking for long-term partners as dealers or exclusive agents in Africa.
We are a Shenzhen (China)-based high-tech specializing in designing and manufacturing our own Doogee Android phone.
We have professional branding and promotion team and our product have secure market presence in South-East Asia, Spain, Africa and South- America.
For more info, Please visit our website www.doogee.cc and you can see the customer review for our product in Amazon, DX and Light in the Box, etc. Or review on our product in Youtube (just search Doogee )

For small business, I recommend you retails in both physical stores online in Jumia or Konga because online shopping is just starting in Africa and will flourish in the near future. Just like Taobao in China, biggest e-commerce portal in China and in the world. Retailing online definitely increase your exposure to end consumers since e-commerce portals in Africa have so many traffic while so few choices in terms of mobile products.

If you are interested becoming our partners, please contact us at jake@doogee.cc
Or my Skype jake_3039
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by oluwanoni: 12:57pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hey guys, quick help on this issue.

I would like to know if anyone as taken an online masters programs, and what schools are the best, I intend taking one ASAP.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by jonath0012(m): 4:59pm On Apr 10, 2015
Hello, I'm a graduate currently teaching in a secondary school.. I'm planning to save up for Master's programm next year, since good job is not forthcoming.. I really want to know if it is the best decision or I should keep looking out for a better job?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Etfash(m): 8:05pm On Apr 10, 2015
jonath0012:
Hello, I'm a graduate currently teaching in a secondary school.. I'm planning to save up for Master's programm next year, since good job is not forthcoming.. I really want to know if it is the best decision or I should keep looking out for a better job?

What's your discipline? Considering marketability, do you sincerely wish to continue in that line or not?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Feex: 3:10pm On Apr 11, 2015
oluwanoni:
Hey guys, quick help on this issue.

I would like to know if anyone as taken an online masters programs, and what schools are the best, I intend taking one ASAP.
what's your dscipline? I am currently taking one in safety, risk and reliability engineering (distance learning) in the prestigious Herriot Watt University.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by jonath0012(m): 4:12pm On Apr 11, 2015
Etfash:

What's your discipline? Considering marketability, do you sincerely wish to continue in that line or not?

I studied Physics/Education...honestly, I desire to have higher degrees so I can lecture rather than teaching in a high school. However, there is no cash to actualize that for now hence the reason for saving. Meanwhile, if I get a good job I may want to forget about it, maybe.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 11, 2015
Hello Xfire, I really appreciate what you & other like minds are doing to help the unemployed ones get their dream jobs & to build a better and lovable career. Pardon my curiosity, i really like to know how you where able to cope with female friends while in school. I know engineering don't have too many female student like other faculty{social sci, law, Mgt sci}, & from almost all your thread/Post, you keep laying emphasis on building a good communication and being sociable with others, don't you get attracted to the opposite sex or you just kill the feelings. Pardon my spelling errors. Thanks!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Etfash(m): 4:50pm On Apr 11, 2015
jonath0012:

I studied Physics/Education...honestly, I desire to have higher degrees so I can lecture rather than teaching in a high school. However, there is no cash to actualize that for now hence the reason for saving. Meanwhile, if I get a good job I may want to forget about it, maybe.

Since you studied Education, you are a professional in the field already. How much will you need to start a Masters degree? How much will you need to start a Tutorial centre? If you asked me, i would advise that you begin to teach in tutorial centres so as not to be restricted by regular schools. With your discipline, you should be able to teach some of the most sought after subjects: Physics, Mathematics, JAMB maths etc. If you are in Lagos, you could also register with some educational consultants that will pay you to teach private students.

While you do the above, a big secret will become open to you; 'there is no big deal about starting your own tutorial centre or even a school'. If you do the above, you will meet with guys who would offer to take one or two subjects in your new Tutorial centre or school. You will employ a school cert/OND graduate as accountant/Secretary for accountability. Keep delivering private lessons for some months even after you have started your own to cushion the initial start-up stress you may encounter along the line.

In 24 months, with hard work, commitment and God on your side; you will be wowed by where you would be. Your postgraduate degrees can come then, it would be less stressful and more focussed.

I did most of the above years back, i made a lot of money; but instead of starting my own school and run a PgD in education, i went for a Masters degree. Although i work with the PG degree today and do my own businesses, i would have been far ahead if i hadn't gone off that path.

Lastly, make up your mind on one thing, don't allow what people will say or how certain people will feel influence your decisions. Make your decisions and work it out!
Christ' love to you.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by jonath0012(m): 5:32pm On Apr 11, 2015
Etfash:

Since you studied Education, you are a professional in the field already. How much will you need to start a Masters degree? How much will you need to start a Tutorial centre? If you asked me, i would advise that you begin to teach in tutorial centres so as not to be restricted by regular schools. With your discipline, you should be able to teach some of the most sought after subjects: Physics, Mathematics, JAMB maths etc. If you are in Lagos, you could also register with some educational consultants that will pay you to teach private students.

While you do the above, a big secret will become open to you; 'there is no big deal about starting your own tutorial centre or even a school'. If you do the above, you will meet with guys who would offer to take one or two subjects in your new Tutorial centre or school. You will employ a school cert/OND graduate as accountant/Secretary for accountability. Keep delivering private lessons for some months even after you have started your own to cushion the initial start-up stress you may encounter along the line.

In 24 months, with hard work, commitment and God on your side; you will be wowed by where you would be. Your postgraduate degrees can come then, it would be less stressful and more focussed.

I did most of the above years back, i made a lot of money; but instead of starting my own school and run a PgD in education, i went for a Masters degree. Although i work with the PG degree today and do my own businesses, i would have been far ahead if i hadn't gone off that path.

Lastly, make up your mind on one thing, don't allow what people will say or how certain people will feel influence your decisions. Make your decisions and work it out!
Christ' love to you.

Thanks bro. Your write up is indeed an eye opener. Very informative!
As a matter of fact, I'm teaching in one of the regular schools in Lagos you mentioned, and that in itself is limiting me in some ways. For instance, it is against the school policy for any teacher to offer private lesson to her students. In fact it is forbidden.
Regarding tutorial center, I'm starting with an Educational Consultant in a week time and hoping to source out private lessons from there as time goes on.

All said, what I really want to do is to free myself from where I currently work and move on to something with great prospect.

Would you mind if I drop my number for wassup chatting?

Once again, thanks!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Etfash(m): 9:49pm On Apr 11, 2015
@Jonath0012, You are welcome. Send a PM.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Amazingg: 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2015
This thread has been insightful. Any advice for a vet? An almost frustrated one?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by NIKEDEEDS(m): 9:10am On Apr 12, 2015
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=821144114640056&id=757826120971856&_rdr#821152341305900

@House VOTING STARTS BY 10am to 6pm.
to vote just open the link below and comment
"I VOTE nabsprada"
https://www.nairaland.com/1980633/miss-
nairaland-deceemer-2014-contest#27706664

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 1:08pm On Apr 12, 2015
2chainz:
Hello Xfire, I really appreciate what you & other like minds are doing to help the unemployed ones get their dream jobs & to build a better and lovable career. Pardon my curiosity, i really like to know how you where able to cope with female friends while in school. I know engineering don't have too many female student like other faculty{social sci, law, Mgt sci}, & from almost all your thread/Post, you keep laying emphasis on building a good communication and being sociable with others, don't you get attracted to the opposite sex or you just kill the feelings. Pardon my spelling errors. Thanks!

Lol..great question cheesy
Of course, I get attracted to the opposite sex. I am sure you asked because I often speak about career and education, and rarely about romance.

Lemme me flash back to my days in the university to enable you have a clear picture. Back in the university, I was a shy and timid bookworm. My major focus was my books. My main goal was to graduate with a first class. My social skill was below average though I wouldn't say it was outrightly poor as I made a few very good friends, both male and female. In most cases, I made friends (particularly female) inadvertently. I was very timid and couldn't face up to talking to females I was not familiar with. I had a few crushes but I couldn't live up to expectation by speaking out. A few also had crushes on me but I was too shy to take advantage of the opportunity or greenlight. Looking back, I wish I was a bit more sociable in my university. I felt and still feel I missed out on some potential great relationships (both male and female) because I was not very sociable. I won't go into details here. wink

Your period in higher institution provides the best opportunity to learn the art of being sociable and I advise that you make good use of it. This is because you don't necessarily need to have money or class to attract friends. You don't need to conform to societal expectations. You can be accepted just as you are. As a student, learn to relate with people, both male and female. It's all part of the learning process. Some give flimsy excuses that they don't have money or the looks so they find it difficult to relate with the opposite sex. I have often heard people say that girls flock around guys that have money. That's not a complete truth. A guy who has money but does not have good social skills may still find it difficult to attract people.

During that process of being sociable, you may get attracted to some, or they may get attracted to you. You may follow up with any particular person you are interested in, depending on your thought inclinations. I personally don't have anything against students dating each other as far as both partners ensure it does not affect their academics. I have seen several cases where such relationships end up in marriage. Some argue that it's often easier to find true love while still in school, and I am wont to agree with them. wink

Now fast forward to today. I am still a relatively young man pursuing a dream career (though I may be 'old' compared to many cheesy ). I have improved on my social skills and I have couple of female friends I relate with. Believe me, my attention still gets diverted by females around me. wink It's pretty normal. The most important thing is to balance my career and my relationships with people. The overall goal is to have a healthy work-life balance. smiley

I hope that answers your question.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 1:10pm On Apr 12, 2015
Amazingg:
This thread has been insightful. Any advice for a vet? An almost frustrated one?
Before anyone can help you out, you need to tell us why you are frustrated.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Lordbinsmar: 3:10pm On Apr 12, 2015
thanks for creating this wonderful thread and sharing your useful experience with other people.i am a 18years old newly admitted mechanical engineering student in a OAU.am very passionate about this course that i had to drop my previous course (Architecture) in other to follow my heart...but due to the high level of unemployment in Nigeria.I decided to learn a Trade that will improve my enterpenuer skills and that will also increase my possibility of employment in the labour market...soo i decided to start learning WELDIND&FABRICATION at a very big metal work fabrication factory in the town where i live....but the nature of the trade is very hard and physical demanding but am ready to endure since i wud only be learing during holidays or strike and it wont be affecting my academic work.but my question is that,how relevant is welding and fabrication to engineering.?can it improve my skill as an engineer.?in what engineering sector wud my skill be needed?wud u encourage me to continue learing d trade?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Amazingg: 4:01pm On Apr 12, 2015
xfire:

Before anyone can help you out, you need to tell us why you are frustrated.

Thanks xfire. The person in question is a Vet doc and getting a job is a big challenge. He's been unemployed for over 2 yrs
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by oluwanoni: 5:06pm On Apr 14, 2015
Feex:

what's your dscipline? I am currently taking one in safety, risk and reliability engineering (distance learning) in the prestigious Herriot Watt University.

I studied bus.admin
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by happyday: 5:56pm On Apr 14, 2015
darellrivers:
Hello Everyone,

I am glad that this thread is still on the front page of the career section... I have been away for too long. I apologise to all those who have sent me mails... I have been quite busy adjusting to the hustle and bustle of Lagos lifesmiley
Really? You're back to Lagos?? Welcome back to Lagos, Ma. Your email? Is it still active?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by omoh2011: 8:12am On Apr 16, 2015
Please I need someone to assist me proof read my cover letter, I need to know if I have been writing it well. I seriously need this please I beg for help. Thank you
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by abimcdssi: 7:17pm On Apr 16, 2015
What's the best way to go about the interview question : what is your biggest weakness? without giving the cliche "I'm a perfectionist" and "I have problem delegating". Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kuznet: 11:51pm On Apr 16, 2015
For a graduate who has served without a job yet,just managing a teaching job and not even in d education line with an aim of saving4 Msc,wots ur advice for such a graduate
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 9:00pm On Apr 17, 2015
Amazingg:

Thanks xfire. The person in question is a Vet doc and getting a job is a big challenge. He's been unemployed for over 2 yrs
Wow..I feel the person's struggles. I also have a friend that studied vet medicine. He struggled before he was able to get a job in Ondo State Ministry of Agriculture. He later quit and went into entrepreneurship and multi-level marketing.

I find it ironic because I remember vividly that vet doctors were the highest paid corps members when I was serving in the core North. This is because majority of the indigenes were nomadic farmers, and demand for vet doctors was (and is still) high.

I do not know his/her location but I think it is easier to get a job as a vet doctor in the core North where nomadic farming is on a high side, though I must confess the demand for vet doctors is generally low in Nigeria (and even recently in countries like US where supply ouweighs demand).

I would advise that he/she choose any of these options (1) change career line, or (2) delve into the high risk but rewarding entrepreneurship - business or private practice, if possible (3) Travel abroad to study and practice, particularly in countries where demand is high.

Let him/her reflect and consider the options. Whatever option(s) the person chooses, he/she need to hit the ground running and start working towards it. Time waits for no one. He/she should also keep looking out for opportunities as he/she considers other alternatives.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 9:24pm On Apr 17, 2015
abimcdssi:
What's the best way to go about the interview question : what is your biggest weakness? without giving the cliche "I'm a perfectionist" and "I have problem delegating". Thanks
That awkward moment when you type a comprehensive response to an enquiry and it gets mistakenly wiped off on your laptop when you are set to send sad I will type an abridged version later.

Cheers....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by takleboy(m): 10:52pm On Apr 17, 2015
[i][/i][color=#006600][/color]
Xfire!!! What can i say than to drop my cap for a genius and erudite fellow like you. I am not proud to tell you that just yesterday i stumbled on this thread even as my NL account is as old as NL itself but i have been a way since a while. I bet you that from yesterday till now i have not spare my time but to check this thread from page begining to page last all night all day wit a partial sleep even as i am on night duty at work, and i dare you only if you can imagine the orientation, direction and way of thinking i have developed as due. You need to see ma jotting book with enough information and vocabulary pen down on it. Many of the issues discussed are addressing plenty of my status quo challenges, your take on work-life balance, change of job role, preparation for interviews and even the CV aspect which i think i will never have qualms.
Xfire baba!!! I have much to discuss with but please i want you to acknowledge that you will welcome my contact with you via the available media you have provided, i have noted your but can send you any PM now for i am yet to get your permission. I am very keen to read your other thread in your domain as i am now a proud follower of yours, and for Darellrivers, i am amazed about her exposure too and wish to contact her soon. PEACE OUT XFIRE!!! Proudly a follower

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by abimcdssi: 11:58pm On Apr 17, 2015
xfire:

That awkward moment when you type a comprehensive response to an enquiry and it gets mistakenly wiped off on your laptop when you are set to send sad I will type an abridged version later.

Cheers....
Lol. Waiting for the abridged version. Thanks!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Amazingg: 9:18am On Apr 18, 2015
xfire:

Wow..I feel the person's struggles. I also have a friend that studied vet medicine. He struggled before he was able to get a job in Ondo State Ministry of Agriculture. He later quit and went into entrepreneurship and multi-level marketing.

I find it ironic because I remember vividly that vet doctors were the highest paid corps members when I was serving in the core North. This is because majority of the indigenes were nomadic farmers, and demand for vet doctors was (and is still) high.

I do not know his/her location but I think it is easier to get a job as a vet doctor in the core North where nomadic farming is on a high side, though I must confess the demand for vet doctors is generally low in Nigeria (and even recently in countries like US where supply ouweighs demand).

I would advise that he/she choose any of these options (1) change career line, or (2) delve into the high risk but rewarding entrepreneurship - business or private practice, if possible (3) Travel abroad to study and practice, particularly in countries where demand is high.

Let him/her reflect and consider the options. Whatever option(s) the person chooses, he/she need to hit the ground running and start working towards it. Time waits for no one. He/she should also keep looking out for opportunities as he/she considers other alternatives.

Thanks a lot xfire. God bless you real good
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by BobUg28(m): 2:08pm On Apr 18, 2015
Xfire,thanks for all the encouragements so far. I've been lurking all this while. But I can't hold it any longer. Thanks so much. I've learnt alot and still hope to learn more.
I pray to reach one tenth of your ability some day. GOD BLESS YOU SIRE!

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.