Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,242 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:29 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (33) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180803 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kaycodes: 6:00am On Oct 17, 2015
I saw this thread and I knew I needed to share this. In case most of you missed it, these are some life changing advice. Ignore them at your peril. If someone had told me this sooner, I wouldn't have to learn it by myself and go through all I went through.

https://www.nairaland.com/2668937/6-mistakes-likely-make-between

Do have a lovely day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by angiography(m): 9:21am On Oct 17, 2015
AltarBoy1:
I mean one of the worst thing that will happen to a graduate without connection in Nigeria, is graduating with 2.2. You will be locked out of so many opportunities.
This is sooo true. 'Locked out of many opportunities'.
The fact is higher grades open more opportunities for an average job hunter....which someone with a lesser grade cannot even have a leeway to. While I respect the place of skills, the place of academic prowess cannot be overemphasized. There's a reason while there're grades in colleges(except in unclassified degrees).

While I don't discard the 'skill-supporting side', the mathematics is simple:
Higher grade + skill= a quicker job acquisition

Higher grade= advantageous in getting the FIRST JOB especially (often times, you learn on the job during the probation period).

Lesser grade(2nd class lower nd below) + skill= this is favourable especially in the experience hire

Lesser grade without skill = u may need to try 'self employment'.

Albeit, the WEAKEST STUDENT in my class then now works with VON, while some high flying are still stuck with low pay jobs. In essence, the hallmark is Networking (something which Nigerians call 'LEG')

NB: I refer to people who intends on getting a salaried job. Apparently anyone can be an entrepreneur.

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HisVine(m): 11:58am On Oct 17, 2015
kaycodes:

On second thought am gonna share the link to all the available positions.

These roles are mainly Remote positions so you can work from anywhere in the world.

If you've got concrete IT skills, then consider yourself a great candidate for most of the roles.

Wishing you all the best.

Remember this is the information age, focus on skills.

Finally on these jobs, no one wants to see your results or grades, just make sure you highlight your skills very well, and use the right keywords on your CV, otherwise the ATS will overlook your profile.

I'll await your success stories.

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qdR9VfwS&s=LIz1159&nl=1&page=Jobs
Sir, I've applied and I've gotten a reply from them inviting me for the next phase of the recruiting process. I hope I scale through this too, though I have a very good LinkedIn profile. But, the issue now is that... I'm a student. Hope this won't affect the expected level of productivity and efficiency after been offered the job? Your candid advice is needed sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kaycodes: 2:11pm On Oct 17, 2015
HisVine:
Sir, I've applied and I've gotten a reply from them inviting me for the next phase of the recruiting process. I hope I scale through this too, though I have a very good LinkedIn profile. But, the issue now is that... I'm a student. Hope this won't affect the expected level of productivity and efficiency after been offered the job? Your candid advice is needed sir.

I believe these are work from home opportunities. I also believe as a student you can manage yoour time properly.

Nigeria and US have different tme zones. You just need to make some sacrifices in terms of time.

Afterall time na money.. grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HisVine(m): 5:13pm On Oct 17, 2015
kaycodes:

I believe these are work from home opportunities. I also believe as a student you can manage yoour time properly.

Nigeria and US have different tme zones. You just need to make some sacrifices in terms of time.

Afterall time na money.. grin grin
Alright sir, thanks. wink
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by deewon56: 10:16pm On Oct 18, 2015
kaycodes:

The trick is to start early. You still got time, how passionate are you about cars, can you drive? It's not about having a fancy idea of what you wanna do, you must be really into it.

As a student of mechanical engineering, you're in the right path, academic wise. When you go for your IT, visit an automobile shop, I mean like a mechanic shop. If you get the opportunity to do your IT in a top notch automobile company, then you're very lucky but if not, then our local Kazeem's won't be a bad idea either. Now you have to couple your practical study with online resources. Learn the basics, and then apply your engineering knowledge to solving problems. Now if you spend one year, at a mechanic's workshop, you would have gained valuable knowledge and skills. If you visit automobile blogs, sites, and get books on engine repairs to add to your knowledge, you would have learnt what an average roadside mechanic would learn in 3yrs.

By leveraging your engineering knowledge and your Internet skills, and your practical traininig, you would already be ahead of your course mates that went to a fancy company where they never did anything of real importance.

Study about various cars, and know what makes them different, their pros and cons etc. The key to becoming the best in any industry is by learning your craft. People will pay for what you know, but you must learn, learn and learn.

God bless you sir am very greatful
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2015
Bigdreams:

Hi,

To be very candid with you, I don't see any course as non-marketable or non-lucrative.

The question is this, what is your passion?

What are you created for?

Throughout this thread, you would have discovered several nuggets of golden advice laying emphasis on what you can do.

You are what you make of your course.

I studied Management Technology (Project Management Option) in school not because that was what I wanted to study but what I found myself studying.

I have always loved to study music from my young age but circumstances of life deprived me of this.

I'm back studying professional music now in Peter King College of Music, Oko-Afo, Badagry in Lagos.

I abandoned my search for job and made a great sacrifice going back to what I should have studied about 15 years ago.

Friend, no course is non-lucrative and non-marketable.

There are loads of information that abound on the internet about that course.

You can give that course life and make things better for yourself.

Even if no one has done something tangible with that course, if you are truly passionate about it, you can be a pioneer starting new things.

I reiterate, you are what you make of whatever course you are studying.

God bless you.
Thanks Sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HisVine(m): 11:49am On Oct 20, 2015
Please, I need answer to this question urgently

"You are way behind on responding to new leads coming in and we have a standard of getting the first outbound call made within 10 minutes of receiving the lead, what would you do"
cc xfire
Bigdreams
kaycodes
angiography et al
Thanks in anticipation
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissIndependent(f): 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2015
Hmnn the Last time I came to this thread was March now I came in and met about 25pages to read. Where do I start from? embarassed

Honestly I came here to say thank you to darrellrivers, xfire, Bigdreams etc for the inspiration so far. I came across this thread last year when I was still serving my fatherland (NYSC) I remember how I took a pen and a jotter to write down some points I got here but I don't even have time for that now because of my job. The only spare time I have is weekends which I use for sleep, laundry and rest. I have learnt a lot from this thread and I must say kudos to all of you who kept the tread going. I will find time to go through all the pages I missed. Thanks Guys smiley wink

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissIndependent(f): 1:11pm On Oct 21, 2015
darellrivers:
Hello Everyone,

I really must apologize for my very long absence here...

I got married quite recently and it is one of the many reasons I was "away".... smiley wink wink

I do have a lot more stories to tell-and I have learnt a whole lot (Life, really is a learning ground). Thanks, again to xfire for starting this and inspiring many people.

As we keep saying on this thread, you do not need to "know" anyone or be a "big man's" child to go far in life.
I will keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Me
Congratulations smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by stadora(f): 4:01pm On Oct 21, 2015
darellrivers:
Hello Everyone,

I really must apologize for my very long absence here...

I got married quite recently and it is one of the many reasons I was "away".... smiley wink wink

I do have a lot more stories to tell-and I have learnt a whole lot (Life, really is a learning ground). Thanks, again to xfire for starting this and inspiring many people.

As we keep saying on this thread, you do not need to "know" anyone or be a "big man's" child to go far in life.
I will keep you guys posted.

Regards,

Me
Congratulations dear, am realy hapy 4 u. Hapy married life.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by stadora(f): 4:43pm On Oct 21, 2015
HisVine:
Hw did u apply n wot post did u apply 4? What was ur cos of study?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by osolaif: 6:56pm On Oct 21, 2015
Fukup:
Bro.... Pls, is there any other way you can put it in pdf file.... I can't download it from that website with my phone... Pls help
Please that link is broken kindly check it up
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by crudedude(m): 1:21pm On Oct 27, 2015
Congratulations Darellrivers

Thank you for your words of wisdom kaycodes.

Hello xfire

Hello everyone
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 11:31pm On Nov 03, 2015
Wow...this thread has gone a long way. I have been away from Nairaland for quite a while.

darellrivers - Congrats!!!!!!! I wish you a sweet, blessed and glorious married life. I am happy to hear about your marriage. I was not invited though. lol

All enquiries directed to me either on nairaland or shall be attended to. However, I need time to catch up with the thread first. New posts, threads and updates coming in the days to come.

kaycodes - great job here. I have seen some of your efforts here. kudos.

bigdreams - keep dreaming BIG! Thanks for all your support to others.

To all; Never give up. Keep pushing hard. The surest and easiest way to fail is to give up. Keep all hopes alive.

I will be giving out free airtime for job seekers / underemployed persons to aid them in their job hunting pursuits. This will happen from time to time. Please be considerate. LOAD ONE AND LEAVE THE REST FOR OTHERS TO BENEFIT:

MTN N400: 8939 7264 2669 2082

MTN N400: 8234 6128 0004 2609

GLO N500: 12344 98434 28272

AIRTEL N500: 2579 8002 1895 2622

ETISALAT N500: 91106 40762 29064

Cheers.....!

6 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Bigdreams(m): 11:34pm On Nov 03, 2015
xfire:
Wow...this thread has gone a long way. I have been away from Nairaland for quite a while.

darellrivers - Congrats!!!!!!! I wish you a sweet, blessed and glorious married life. I am happy to hear about your marriage. I was not invited though. lol

All enquiries directed to me either on nairaland or shall be attended to. However, I need time to catch up with the thread first. New posts, threads and updates coming in the days to come.

To all; Never give up. Keep pushing hard. The surest and easiest way to fail is to give up. Keep all hopes alive.

I will be giving out free airtime for job seekers / underemployed persons to aid them in their job hunting pursuits. This will happen from time to time. Please be considerate. LOAD ONE AND LEAVE THE REST FOR OTHERS TO BENEFIT:

Cheers.....!

My oga,

Welcome back.

You've upped the ante with this free giveaway.

Thanks.

God bless you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HisVine(m): 11:46pm On Nov 03, 2015
xfire:

Cheers.....!

Wow! Thank you sir

Etisalat loaded
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kaycodes: 11:52pm On Nov 03, 2015
xfire:

Cheers.....!
Your boy is loyal oh....

I have learnt a lot from Nairaland, it was from Nairaland I heared about Linkedin, I kniw how much using that social media has changed my life.

Information is power, thank you for creating such a vast wealth of knowledge through this thread....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Edipee(m): 12:01am On Nov 04, 2015
xfire:

Cheers.....!
thanks bro. I've learnt so much from this thread. Keep on the good work. I'm sorry, I erred. Didn't know the airtel will load after doing Justice to one MTN. God bless you Sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by HisVine(m): 12:35am On Nov 04, 2015
Edipee:
thanks bro. I've learnt so much from this thread. Keep on the good work. I'm sorry, I erred. Didn't know the airtel will load after doing Justice to one MTN. God bless you Sir.
Lol, why try it in the first place bro? Was tempted to do that too...but I didn't.
By the way, it's good you admitted your sin fault.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:25am On Nov 04, 2015
Edipee:
Not an impressive explanation. I will send out another Airtel N500 later to replace the one you used.

Cheers.......!

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by styca(m): 11:31am On Nov 04, 2015
Hello everyone,

Thank God I rediscovered this thread, I have been an ardent follower of this thread since 2013, when I was still an undergraduate(finals), I don't think i ever commented on the thread though.

Now, am here again. two years down the line, done with service (NYSC) and currently job hunting (I so love this term: job hunting. I'm a job hunter!) grin grin.

Thanks to oga Xfire, dreambig and all contributors on this thread, you guys are the bomb.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Brunel(m): 9:18pm On Nov 06, 2015
Hello xfire I'd love to commend you for the greatly inspiring work you're doing here. I've followed this thread since last year and I've introduced same to my friends.
I'd love some guidance. I'm currently pursuing an MSc in an engineering field in one of the top 3 schools in the UK. What do you think I should be doing now asides my studies to get me the needed technical skills required to work in the oil and gas sector?
Thank you
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Enosa1(m): 10:11pm On Nov 08, 2015
wao! so this thread is still here. I used to be an ardent follower of the thread and most commend xfire and others for putting this up.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by allCopacetic: 4:12pm On Nov 09, 2015
you're a great inspiration
xfire:

Not an impressive explanation. I will send out another Airtel N500 later to replace the one you used.

Cheers.......!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Oxytocin(m): 9:02pm On Nov 09, 2015
#teamalwaysfollowing......Great thread indeed!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:52pm On Nov 27, 2015
bolu96:
Good day xfire, please I would like what your CGPA was while in school, course of study and institution graduated from, thanks in anticipation. awaiting your reply.
I won't be able to reveal those details for personal reasons. However, my CGPA was very close to 4.50. I studied engineering and graduated from one of the first generation universities. I hope I have tried...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:57pm On Nov 27, 2015
bolu96:
Good day xfire, please I would like what your CGPA was while in school, course of study and institution graduated from, thanks in anticipation. awaiting your reply.
I won't be able to reveal those details for personal reasons. However, my CGPA was very close to 4.50. I studied engineering and graduated from one of the first generation universities. I hope I have tried...

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 7:23pm On Nov 27, 2015
huxman:
Good day everyone
Since the moment I found this thread it has been an inspiration to me.am just so happy I found it when I did because I just got admission into unilag to study radiography, though am currently through with my screening we are resuming dec 4. Which make the timing of this thread more perfect.
Presently, everything on my mind is how am going to come out with firstclass so I want all of you to give me additional advice on how to achieve this feat.(I just clock seventeen august first)
And pls whoever has the compilation of xfire work should kindly send it to this email huxman69@yahoo.com thanks in advance.
And once again am really glad I found this thread. And xfire and co am not sure u guyz know the amount of life u av inspired with this thread,more power to ur elbows.
Gerrard59:
http://www.jarushub.com/top-10-secrets-of-first-class-students/

http://www.jarushub.com/students-10-mistakes-that-can-cost-you-first-class-degree/

http://www.jarushub.com/traveling-the-jarus-road-he-wants-to-be-the-best-in-his-class/

Wish everyone the very best in their academic endeavours. Like he would say; Work hard and be diligent and, success would come.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 7:43pm On Nov 27, 2015
Jamzig1:
Hello Sir @Xfire and every other person(s) in this thread. Actually in my 1st and only UTME last year I chose to study Civil Engr. in one of our Federal Universities Probably I didnt meet the Cut-off(the cut-oft wasnt published) for Civil Engr. I was offered Physics which I chose to study. I am now through with 100Level(2.1). I am interested in specializing in "Instrumentation & Control". My questions are: 1. How lucrative is that area of specialization.
2. How do i build myself to become a professional in the aforementioned.
3. What other area of Physics has higher prospects than the aforementioned.
Thanks in advance.
By the way, I am 17
1. Instrumentation and control is pretty applicable in all manufacturing or engineering company. Machines and equipment must have some sort of controls to ensure quality and consistency of products. So it's in demand. And that brings me to your 2nd questions.
2. Most organizations tend to recruit electrical engineers as I & C engineers. It is mostly exclusively reserved for electrical engineers. Although there are many short courses one can offer in instrumentation, the skill is usually best acquired through experience. If you want to pursue a career in instrumentation, then I will advise you to consider furthering your studies in engineering after your first degree to make you competitive.
3. There are so many areas in physics that you can specialize in. Just do a google search. With a degree in physics you can branch off to so many disciplines such as telecommunications, electronics, power or even mechanical engineering. But you will most likely need a second degree to actualize your dream.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Jamzig1(m): 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2015
xfire:

1. Instrumentation and control is pretty applicable in all manufacturing or engineering company. Machines and equipment must have some sort of controls to ensure quality and consistency of products. So it's in demand. And that brings me to your 2nd questions.
2. Most organizations tend to recruit electrical engineers as I & C engineers. It is mostly exclusively reserved for electrical engineers. Although there are many short courses one can offer in instrumentation, the skill is usually best acquired through experience. If you want to pursue a career in instrumentation, then I will advise you to consider furthering your studies in engineering after your first degree to make you competitive.
3. There are so many areas in physics that you can specialize in. Just do a google search. With a degree in physics you can branch off to so many disciplines such as telecommunications, electronics, power or even mechanical engineering. But you will most likely need a second degree to actualize your dream.
Thanks for your response sir..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by radiantochi: 6:15pm On Dec 09, 2015
I have been an ardent follower of this thread, I must confess that I have learnt a lot, I work as a quality control analyst in a food and beverage industry, I would like to know more about professional courses/ certification in this field.

(1) (2) (3) ... (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.