Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,332 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:37 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180522 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Xeep(m): 6:43pm On Aug 21, 2014
crudedude:

Success in your interview smiley
Thanks boss
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 21, 2014
nabsprada: Federal University of Technology Yola...Adamawa state. And yes I studied Accountancy...don't wanna derail the thread,please let's "bond" in the "house."
aiite dear...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:10pm On Aug 21, 2014
nabsprada: Thanks a bunch...commonwealth scholarship is my interest but I guess I'll do as you said.

In addition to what xfire has said, some schools actually offer scholarships directly. Infact, I did not apply for any external scholarship during my application process. I actually searched for, and applied to schools that had scholarships in the course I was interested in. Many of the top schools offer some kind of scholarship or the other (extremely competitive but not impossible to get cheesy ). My admission into Oxford came with a fully funded scholarship from the school itself.

All the best and don't hesitate to send me a mail
cheers

3 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
darellrivers:

In addition to what xfire has said, some schools actually offer scholarships directly. Infact, I did not apply for any external scholarship during my application process. I actually searched for, and applied to schools that had scholarships in the course I was interested in. Many of the top schools offer some kind of scholarship or the other (extremely competitive but not impossible to get cheesy ). My admission into Oxford came with a fully funded scholarship from the school itself.

All the best and don't hesitate to send me a mail
cheers
can't thank you enough for all your help/time

Of course I won't hesitate to send you a mailcheesy
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 10:02pm On Aug 21, 2014
nabsprada:
can't thank you enough for all your help/time

Of course I won't hesitate to send you a mailcheesy

I know a bit about the commonwealth scholarship as I was a Commonwealth Professional Fellow (scholars are sponsored to school, Fellows are sponsored to work in the UK). The scholarship is open to those who had first class or second class upper and takes care of everything (Fees AND living expenses). There are different scholarships but the most common ones are
- Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study at UK universities (this is the one where you have to be nominated by the Nigerian Government- it is the one that ministry of education advertises http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw/)

-Shared Scholarships for Master’s study at selected UK universities (here the commonwealth scholarship commission AND specific UK universities SHARE the funding. This has nothing to do with the Nigerian Government). This is however, restricted to certain courses in certain universities- you can check the prospectus http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/prospectus-shared-scholarships-2014.pdf
search for the course you are interested in doing, the university that offers scholarship for your course, go to the school's website and find out criteria for the shared scholarship.

e.g. The University of Strathclyde in Scotland is one of the schools in the shared scholarship scheme (see the prospectus link above) and they offer the scholarship for the following courses
• Advanced Computer Science
• Applied Economics
• Advanced Mechanical Engineering
• Electronic and Electrical Engineering
• Environmental Engineering
• Finance
• Forensic Science
• International Law and Sustainable Development
• Internet Law and Policy
• Pharmaceutical Analysis

If you are interested in one of these courses, all you need to do is go to strathclyde's website, find out what their criteria is and apply.

So make good use of the internet smiley and for more information, go to http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/

It is a great scholarship- I thoroughly enjoyed my Fellowship Programme

Hope this was helpful

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by kennedyugo: 11:17pm On Aug 21, 2014
darellrivers:

I know a bit about the commonwealth scholarship as I was a Commonwealth Professional Fellow (scholars are sponsored to school, Fellows are sponsored to work in the UK). The scholarship is open to those who had first class or second class upper and takes care of everything (Fees AND living expenses). There are different scholarships but the most common ones are
- Scholarships for Master’s and PhD study at UK universities (this is the one where you have to be nominated by the Nigerian Government- it is the one that ministry of education advertises http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/scholarships-developing-cw/)

-Shared Scholarships for Master’s study at selected UK universities (here the commonwealth scholarship commission AND specific UK universities SHARE the funding. This has nothing to do with the Nigerian Government). This is however, restricted to certain courses in certain universities- you can check the prospectus http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/prospectus-shared-scholarships-2014.pdf
search for the course you are interested in doing, the university that offers scholarship for your course, go to the school's website and find out criteria for the shared scholarship.

e.g. The University of Strathclyde in Scotland is one of the schools in the shared scholarship scheme (see the prospectus link above) and they offer the scholarship for the following courses
• Applied Economics
• Finance
• Forensic Science

If you are interested in one of these courses, all you need to do is go to strathclyde's website, find out what their criteria is and apply.

So make good use of the internet smiley and for more information, go to http://cscuk.dfid.gov.uk/apply/

Hope this was helpful

Oh! why didn't I see something like this before now?
I should have started my studies by now! Interest is waning already!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 5:48am On Aug 22, 2014
darellrivers:

• Applied Economics
• Finance
• Forensic Science

Hope this was helpful
Not sure if I can trust the Nigerian governmentembarassed hence my decision to go for the shared scholarship. Like you said,will make good use of the internet and see how far it goes and shot you a mail as the need arises...

Special thanks to you and Xfire...keep touching lives.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by tolutweety(m): 10:47am On Aug 22, 2014
nabsprada: Not sure if I can trust the Nigerian governmentembarassed
darellrivers:
• Applied Economics
• Finance
• Forensic Science
Hope this was helpful

I once applied for the commonwealth scholarship 2yrs back ...and after almost completing my application and all, i called the Nigerian Scholarship board to ask some few questions ,only for me to be told bluntly that i shouldn't bother myself except i want to waste my precious time applying. The lady told me ,without mincing words, that they know the people they are going to take already. This was even before the closing date of application, u can imagine !!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissJennifer(f): 11:53am On Aug 22, 2014
tolutweety:

I once applied for the commonwealth scholarship 2yrs back ...and after almost completing my application and all, i called the Nigerian Scholarship board to ask some few questions ,only for me to be told bluntly that i shouldn't bother myself except i want to waste my precious time applying. The lady told me ,without mincing words, that they know the people they are going to take already. This was even before the closing date of application, u can imagine !!

Whoa! So these things are not based on merit afterall. Anyways,I think the shared scholarship is better.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissJennifer(f): 12:03pm On Aug 22, 2014
darellrivers:

• Applied Economics
• Finance
• Forensic Science

Hope this was helpful

Information indeed is important ,guess I'll try next year if unilag and the likes don't work out. Thank you for sharing!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Feex: 12:34pm On Aug 22, 2014
MissJennifer:

Whoa! So [b]these things are not based on merit [/b]afterall. Anyways,I think the shared scholarship is better.

Many scholarship opportunities are purely based on merit. Just because tolutweety had a nasty experience does not mean one should generalize.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by tolutweety(m): 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2014
Feex:

Many scholarship opportunities are purely based on merit. Just because tolutweety had a nasty experience does not mean one should generalize.

Exactly !!!
I'm not generalising... i have a family friend who won the same commonwealth scholarship for her PHD study at a UK university the penultimate year before my application without knowing no one tho' she was a lecturer in a Fed. university.
I have also won notable scholarship opportunities based on merit too.

What i'm saying is : prepare,apply and hope the best ... expecting anything ! ''whatever is meant to be will be ''
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by MissJennifer(f): 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2014
Feex:

For the sake of aspirants like me,I hope so
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2014
tolutweety:

shockedshockedshocked

Feex:
I hope so,but somehow,I still don't trust the government of my country,you can't blame me can you?embarassed
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 22, 2014
Great thread. I wonder why threads like these are not in front page. As we go about working towards our goals and dreams, here are a few success tips:

1.Never be discouraged to start small; but then never allow small successes deny you of bigger opportunities. I remember quitting a school teaching job just after a month because it wasn't giving me much opportunities to explore the labour markets (travel and attend tests and interviews). 2 months later, I got my a job in a multinational.

2.Money matters but it isn't always anything. Strive to gain valuable experience and build competency.

3.If you are a student, do all your best to finish with a good grade. The job market is so competitive and it's tougher out there with a low grade. I have a very intelligent sibling that stayed at home for almost 4 years after service simply because he missed lots of opportunities because of his grade.

4.For grads with low grades, all hope is not lost. Simply work on self development. No one can limit you except yourself.

5.Never compare yourself to others. If not, you will live a frustrated life. Be thankful in whatever situation you are.

6.You don't necessarily need a mentor to succeed! Yes! All you need is getting and applying the right information. The right information can come from anyone. Get wisdom because wisdom is the principal thing. Information is key. Implementation is the ultimate.
May write down my own experience if time permits.

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by obiaguna(m): 6:40pm On Aug 22, 2014
darellrivers:
I am back smiley

hello ms.darell, I want to say that I have been blessed by your previous posts and contributions on the thread, please give me ur mail so I could contact you. I need you to help me out with some issues.thanks. God bless this thread.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 2:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
2sExy1: You zoomed off bro... I have been waiting for your reply based on last email you sent/replied.
I have responded to your mail.

tolutweety:
still waiting for the reply to my mail .
Thank you.
I can't remember getting any mail from you. Kindly resend quoting your username

MissJennifer:
For the sake of aspirants like me,I hope so
Don't just hope so. Know so. Believe you have what it takes to secure the scholarships. Confidence is critical to success. The role of 'man-know-man' is highly exaggerated in Nigeria.

@all, I will re-post the last piece of my write-up just before the Nairaland attack later.

In the coming days as time permits, I will write on cover letter writing (based on demand) and how to maintain professional networks. I will also discuss some of the current challenges I am facing in my career and how I am working towards overcoming them. Stay tuned.

7 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
xfire:
I have responded to your mail.
Thanks and God bless. I have seen it. I check my emails countless times a day grin

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 4:11pm On Aug 23, 2014
tolutweety:

Exactly !!!
I'm not generalising... i have a family friend who won the same commonwealth scholarship for her PHD study at a UK university the penultimate year before my application without knowing no one tho' she was a lecturer in a Fed. university.
I have also won notable scholarship opportunities based on merit too.

What i'm saying is : prepare,apply and hope the best ... expecting anything ! ''whatever is meant to be will be ''
my view is this: the general Commonwealth scholarship is kinda biased towards ppl in academics when u see their requirements of having how many publications nd all that, also I know that some unis even nominate their lecturers for it so I didn't bother applying for it but I think the Commonwealth shared is fairer, I once applied too tho I didn't make it, maybe my personal statements weren't thick enough. chevening scholarship is also fair but only tenable in uk schools.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 4:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
darellrivers:

• Applied Economics
• Finance
• Forensic Science

Hope this was helpful
my question is what does it really take to get shortlisted at all for this Commonwealth scholarship even after meeting the general requirements, is it just the thickness of your personal statements, cos I applied last year nd was turned down but I still intend re applying. Offcos by thickness there I mean how convincing the statements are. imma pm you if u don't mind.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 6:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
cc150615:
my view is this: the general Commonwealth scholarship is kinda biased towards ppl in academics when u see their requirements of having how many publications nd all that, also I know that some unis even nominate their lecturers for it so I didn't bother applying for it but I think the Commonwealth shared is fairer, I once applied too tho I didn't make it, maybe my personal statements weren't thick enough. chevening scholarship is also fair but only tenable in uk schools.
Chevening Scholarship is for those with two years experience or more in their chosen fields. . . It's hard to see people testify they got commonwealth scholarship these days unlike few years ago, don't know why...All commonwealth scholarship threads I have come across have no testimonies unlike ptdf, pressid, Agip, esso, nddc, etc or maybe the winners were mute?. my close relation got it in 2009...
cc150615:
my question is what does it really take to get shortlisted at all for this Commonwealth scholarship even after meeting the general requirements, is it just the thickness of your personal statements, cos I applied last year nd was turned down but I still intend re applying. Offcos by thickness there I mean how convincing the statements are. imma pm you if u don't mind.
It could be because you were still serving, even if you were shortlisted, you could hv been turned down at the gate during interviews at Abj because of that...commonwealth scholarship allows only applicants that are done with service. .
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
Below is the 2nd to my last post just before the infamous Nairaland attack. It is unedited:

Back to career talks. I continue.....

MANAGING WORK AND LIFE ACTIVITIES

I work to live, and life will I live! There are interactions between work and life activities however. As a matter of fact, almost half of my time is spent on work or work-related activities (travelling, traffic, working at home, discussing work, etc.). An aspect of attaining work-life balance and interaction is being able to create some fun and joy around the workplace. I understand that this can be difficult to do especially when working in a hostile work environment but it is not impossible to achieve. Enjoying work will be another discussion in the nearest future but that's not the focus now.
There is also another aspect to work-life balance that completely distinguishes work from other life concerns and engagements. This involves engaging in other life activities with happiness and fulfillment with the burden of excessive work. And that's my focus on this piece. Here's how I manage the work-life balance

1. First Impression - as a new employee, all eyes are on you. First impression counts a lots and the first few opinions made about you may sometimes determine the course of your career in an organization. It is also important that new employees go an extra mile to get the job done. Show some eagerness and willingness to learn and adapt. Pay your dues when you are still new in an organizational as your learning curve is still pretty high at that stage. It is not a period you keep checking the time once it's almost 4pm. It's a time to create a reputation for yourself as a performer, achiever and a hardworking staff.

2. I set my priorities - I know and recognize the most important things in my life. The earlier you know your priorities, the earlier you can work out your goals around them. I have earlier said it that apart from God, the most important things in my life are family, work-life balance, career aspirations, investment, money and career counselling in that order. One of the reasons I quit my first job for another was not necessarily because the pay was higher, but because it offered me a better working environment where I can freely engage in other important things of life (the work-life interaction). The clearer you understand what purpose, the easier for you to make decisions. Sometimes, that decision may involve rejecting an attractive offer, a promotion, an investment opportunity or any other tempting proposal. Knowing your priorities enable you to know your limits.

3. Learning new skills of interest - I try to learn skills that I'm particularly interested in. For instance, I love piano but I cannot play. And I intend buying one before the end of this month. I will probably enroll in a music school to learn the instrument. I also trying to learn one of the Nigerian major language, though that has not been easy, as I find it challenging to learn a new language. Swimming is another skill I am currently learning. Swimming is about practice. The more you practice, the better you are at it. I so much want to learn Karate or Taekwondo but that might be sometimes in the future. I already have my hands full.

4. I cultivated a culture of savings and investment - The ability to save does not depend on the amount earned. It's a habit that can be developed. I earned N9,500 only as a corps member despite that, I still saved monthly. It will shock you that I never borrowed a single kobo during my NYSC despite the ridiculously low income. I have learnt to always save part of my monthly earnings, and that is a practice that has stuck to me till date. I always live below my means, I thank God that I have never been in a situation that forced me to spend beyond my means.
But it is not enough to save. Money should also be used for investment purposes. I look out for investment opportunities and try to sow some investment seeds that can grow and fetch more money for me. It is always good to explore other alternative sources of income. Aside the extra income it can potentially generate, it gives a sense of personal fulfillment to see money working for you. It also means another engaging activity that often take your mind off work.

5... But I also spoil myself - life is too short to divert all your money on savings and investment. Afterall, today is yesterday's tomorrow. Today is the only day you have got. Tomorrow is still unknown. Why become so obsessed about saving for a tomorrow that may never come? This means that it is paramount that I enjoy myself today. If I earn well, I should also enjoy a bit of it. Isn't it? Once in a while, I spoil myself with the good things of life. Sometimes, it is good to make yourself happy. You don't have to wait for people to buy you gifts. If you have got the money, spoil yourself with gifts. Go for vacations in choice locations. Visit best restaurants in town once in a while. Simply put - ENJOY. Enjoyment is key to fulfilment, at least in my case.

to be continued....

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
cc150615:

These Scholarships are extremely competitive and I do not think they are biased towards people in academics. I know a couple of people in my circle who have gotten these scholarships and many of them had never authored any papers. As I said earlier, I am a commonwealth alumni (not through the scholarship but through the fellowship-The commonwealth professional fellowship allows professionals from developing countries to come to the UK for a period of professional development) and the awards are very competitive.

Wish you all the best in all your applications (and your future endeavours).
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:22pm On Aug 23, 2014
cc150615:

The quality and sincerity of your Statement of Purpose-SOP (Personal statement) is very important in applying for graduate school AND for scholarships. They want to know WHY you are applying for the course, WHAT motivates you, HOW you will add value after going through the programme. Bear in mind that for every one spot there are sometimes more than 100 applicants so the key is writing a SOP that will get you noticed.

I will be happy to hear from you

P.S I am very very old school and will appreciate it if you wrote out your words in full. Thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
#Gets her pen and jotter# learning continues!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 9:27pm On Aug 23, 2014
MarvellousGod: Chevening Scholarship is for those with two years experience or more in their chosen fields. . . It's hard to see people testify they got commonwealth scholarship these days unlike few years ago, don't know why...All commonwealth scholarship threads I have come across have no testimonies unlike ptdf, pressid, Agip, esso, nddc, etc or maybe the winners were mute?. my close relation got it in 2009... It could be because you were still serving, even if you were shortlisted, you could hv been turned down at the gate during interviews at Abj because of that...commonwealth scholarship allows only applicants that are done with service. .
Yea I know about the chevening 2 years stuff, nd about the Commonwealth Offcos I applied after nysc, that was sometimes in March, application was still open for the school I applied to then. so I dunno, I know these stuffs are really competitive sha nd the school I applied to then had only 2 slots so I ended up getting just admission nd no scholarship.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Emasel(m): 9:47pm On Aug 23, 2014
cc150615:

A major criteria is your academic potential.Commonwealth Shared scholarships are mostly won by First Class graduates.
I applied to about 3 UK unis last year but didn't get any and my GPA in percentage is above 80%.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 6:25am On Aug 24, 2014
Emasel:

A major criteria is your academic potential.Commonwealth Shared scholarships are mostly won by First Class graduates.
I applied to about 3 UK unis last year but didn't get any and my GPA in percentage is above 80%.
nd I wonder why these first class ppl won't go to pressid nd leave Commonwealth for us,I know someone who got it last year too but he has a first class, it is well o,I guess me nd u are kinda in same shoes Anyway.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darellrivers: 7:42am On Aug 24, 2014
cc150615:
nd I wonder why these first class ppl won't go to pressid nd leave Commonwealth for us,I know someone who got it last year too but he has a first class, it is well o,I guess me nd u are kinda in same shoes Anyway.

Because as good as the Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID) is, it is still not as prestigious as a being a commonwealth alumni... Actually, it is wise to apply for more than one scholarship- so the wise ones will apply for the PRESSID, commonwealth, worldbank, PTDF etc smiley
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by cc150615(f): 8:59am On Aug 24, 2014
darellrivers:

Because as good as the Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID) is, it is still not as prestigious as a being a commonwealth alumni... Actually, it is wise to apply for more than one scholarship- so the wise ones will apply for the PRESSID, commonwealth, worldbank, PTDF etc smiley
you're right sha, being a Commonwealth alumni is really prestigious, not giving up,I'll definitely get one of dem very soon! Thanks for ur contribution
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by justineu(m): 1:32pm On Aug 24, 2014
McWhillion:
Can u Tell me the problem you encountered so I could correct it.
pls could snd me dat write up tnks..nj4zito@yahoo.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 24, 2014
cc150615:
Yea I know about the chevening 2 years stuff, nd about the Commonwealth Offcos I applied after nysc, that was sometimes in March, application was still open for the school I applied to then. so I dunno, I know these stuffs are really competitive sha nd the school I applied to then had only 2 slots so I ended up getting just admission nd no scholarship.
That means you applied for commonwealth shared scholarship and not the general Commonwealth scholarship who normally hv their interviews in Abuja?..it's alright. ..Goodluck to uss smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.