Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,322 members, 7,808,082 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180893 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 2:05am On Sep 09, 2014
Olarewajub: Isn't there any other platform you can upload this file because i'm issues with dropbox registration.
pls drop your email addy
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 2:08am On Sep 09, 2014
Gozychuks:
Pls can u send to gozychuks@gmail.com
doziej84:
pls send to doziej84@yahoo.com
Were you guys able to download it?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Olarewajub: 6:12am On Sep 09, 2014
I'm sending a pm to you now. Thanks.
McWhillion:
pls drop your email addy
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gozychuks(m): 10:22am On Sep 09, 2014
McWhillion:
Were you guys able to download it?
No
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 10:50am On Sep 09, 2014
Gozychuks:
No
I will send it later in the day
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 4:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
xfire:
Definitely. There's no doubt about that.
Ehimenboy: Hi everyone. I asked this question in another thread but didn't receive a satisfactory reply: Can a bsc holder in chemistry with a post-graduate diploma in chemical engineering do a masters in the field (chemical engineering)?
I don't mean to pester you unnecessarily sir but for the avoidance of wrong decisions. Someone said many companies don't employ engineers without a B.Eng. Is it advisable I go on with my plans (Bsc + masters) being interested in the field, sir?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Gozychuks(m): 10:33pm On Sep 10, 2014
McWhillion:
I will send it later in the day
Still waiting...
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 11:57pm On Sep 10, 2014
Gozychuks:
Pls can u send to gozychuks@gmail.com
doziej84:
pls send to doziej84@yahoo.com

Sent, Please check your inbox/Spam. I'm sorry for the delay....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 8:56pm On Sep 11, 2014
Ehimenboy:
I don't mean to pester you unnecessarily sir but for the avoidance of wrong decisions. Someone said many companies don't employ engineers without a B.Eng. Is it advisable I go on with my plans (Bsc + masters) being interested in the field, sir?
Simply because most engineers have B.Eng. There are very few engineering graduates with BSc in non-engineering courses. So it's tough to make a good comparison.
With a PGD + MSc in chemical engineering, I believe you stand a chance like every other chemical engineering graduate out there in the job market. Just make sure you obtain your MSc in a notable institution of learning and you have good grades.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Ehimenboy(m): 9:26pm On Sep 11, 2014
Thank you very much, sir Xfire.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Praise5: 1:18am On Sep 12, 2014
xfire:
Simply because most engineers have B.Eng. There are very few engineering graduates with BSc in non-engineering courses. So it's tough to make a good comparison.
With a PGD + MSc in chemical engineering, I believe you stand a chance like every other chemical engineering graduate out there in the job market. Just make sure you obtain your MSc in a notable institution of learning and you have good grades.
Sir, I must say you are a blessing to my soul today. Your posts are quite insightful and educative. I'll be grateful if I can have your email address, remain blessed.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Excellergroup(m): 1:50am On Sep 12, 2014
kaka22:
pls send it to me too. my email is okeniyimichael@rocketmail.com
sir, i don't mind you sending the file to my email tnx nd God bls
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Excellergroup(m): 1:41pm On Sep 12, 2014
kaka22:
Thanks. I've seen it.
@kaka22 pls, i will appreciate if you can forward the doc. to my mail cos i have tried downloading it through the dropbox link on my computer but to no avail. Thanks
My email is
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by misterkay(m): 5:30pm On Sep 12, 2014
@xfire, I'm still waiting o
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:52pm On Sep 12, 2014
Praise5: Sir, I must say you are a blessing to my soul today. Your posts are quite insightful and educative. I'll be grateful if I can have your email address, remain blessed.
My email address is xfire2014@gmail.com. State your Nairaland username if your intend sending me a mail so that I can easily identify you.

I hope it's not on CV review. I have several CV's pending my review. The number is simply overwhelming.

@All
On CV reviews:
I have thought of a simple solution to deal with the large number of unattended CV's in my inbox. I have had a brief look at some of the CV's and some of them need to be properly cleaned up. Some of them are quite impressive, I must also confess.
I have decided to write 4 sample CV's for fresh graduates with varied degrees, grades and courses so as to ensure applicability to as many fresh graduates as possible irrespective of background. I have already started writing them at my spare time. I have completed two. Once I am done writing the 4, I will do a quick refresher on CV writing and post the samples here for reference purposes only (They are expected serve as guides ONLY. They are to be used necessarily as templates). I will also send the e-copies (in MS Word) to a select few who can help in sending it to anyone that may need it. That's how far I may practically be able to go with CV review due to time constraints.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 6:53pm On Sep 12, 2014
misterkay: @xfire, I'm still waiting o
Hmmm..okay. Let's see how today or tomorrow goes..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 10:14pm On Sep 12, 2014
kaka pls forward it to me as well, the drop box link is pesky. pilotansajon@rocketmail.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 5:00am On Sep 13, 2014
xfire:
My email address is xfire2014@gmail.com. State your Nairaland username if your intend sending me a mail so that I can easily identify you.

I hope it's not on CV review. I have several CV's pending my review. The number is simply overwhelming.

@All
On CV reviews:
I have thought of a simple solution to deal with the large number of unattended CV's in my inbox. I have had a brief look at some of the CV's and some of them need to be properly cleaned up. Some of them are quite impressive, I must also confess.
I have decided to write 4 sample CV's for fresh graduates with varied degrees, grades and courses so as to ensure applicability to as many fresh graduates as possible irrespective of background. I have already started writing them at my spare time. I have completed two. Once I am done writing the 4, I will do a quick refresher on CV writing and post the samples here for reference purposes only (They are expected serve as guides ONLY. They are to be used necessarily as templates). I will also send the e-copies (in MS Word) to a select few who can help in sending it to anyone that may need it. That's how far I may practically be able to go with CV review due to time constraints.
Noted.

Was wondering if darrellrivers is still here with us...

Still stuck here,more power to your elbow sir
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Vicktor2015(m): 10:12pm On Sep 13, 2014
Threads like this makes me want to start afresh,but can still make amend were necessary. A big thank you to xfire the OP
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Praise5: 10:43pm On Sep 13, 2014
xfire:

@All
On CV reviews:
Thanks for the email address, I just sent you a mail *its not about CV* thanks once again.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Dlivingstone(m): 12:48am On Sep 14, 2014
I salute everyone here. My name is Mathew,from Lagos. I am into building construction practically. I learnt it. But my utmost desire is to upgrade myself by moving beyond this stage. I want to apply for a part-time programme in my career as a building engineer. But at times,I used to feel that I might lose in some area because I want to sponsor myself.. Please advice me
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by goodieuzo: 6:29pm On Sep 14, 2014
@fire
My email is talktogoodness@gmail.com
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Flips: 5:58pm On Sep 15, 2014
Wow. Great thread. Learnt a lot
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:19pm On Sep 16, 2014
[size=15pt]REFRESHER - CV Writing[/size]
Like I earlier wrote, I have to do a very short refresher on CV writing exclusively for graduates because of popular demands. I receive a lot of mails asking me for CV reviews. Some of them need comprehensive overhaul as they are not properly written. Some are well written while others are just average. Due to time constraint, I am not able to review all CV's on time, thus the need for a refresher on the topic. This refresher will focus mainly on correcting the common errors I notice frequently in CV's sent to me. In addition, I will also re-emphasize some important tips in CV writing. Like I promised, I have finished writing the four sample CV's and will post them online with short notes on each of them. The posting will be done after the brief refresher as time permits.

Before I go on, I will like to share one of the reviews I made in the past because I believe that it will be very useful to all. Here is the scenario:

A Nairalander sent me his/her CV for review. I reviewed it and got back to him/her. I told him/her that his/her CV was almost perfect and gave him/her a 90% pass mark. I also told him/her that it was one of the best I had received so far. I made a few corrections on the CV. He/She got back to me and wrote this (I have removed his/her personal details and I have sought his/her permission to share this):

Hi XFire,

Thanks for your response. It's a big boost to know that I'm doing something right. I actually used the CV to apply for the role of a
XXXX in YYYY company and I did not get an invite. I thought something might be wrong with the CV.
After sending you my CV for review, I did some reading and made some review myself. I seriously hope I have not moved from 90% to 65%! Here
are the changes that I made and reasons for making them:
1. I added a middle name.
2. I added 'Personal Statement'. This seems to be generally accepted as the only place on your CV where you can sell yourself.
3. I removed the 'Activities' section entirely. It made my CV unnecessarily long. I am gunning for a one-page CV.
4. I added competencies. I took a look at the competencies' page on ZZZZ and took those ones that characterize me.
5. I incorporated all your corrections, except experience. Since my work for AAAA is the only volunteer experience out of all, can I still call the whole section 'volunteer experience'?
Thanks for your consideration. Please find attached my reworked CV (Not shared).

This was my response:

2 Likes

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:28pm On Sep 16, 2014
THIS IS MY RESPONSE BELOW:

First of all, CV's are meant to be tailor made and specific to a particular vacancy. This means that a CV may be great for a banking job but average for an oil and gas job. In other words, CV's are meant to be customized.
Another important note is that a CV is not the only criterium for determining who gets shortlisted for a job. For instance, if a particular job vacancy requires 2.1 biochemistry graduates with age less than 30 years, a 32 years old engineering graduate may not likely be called you matter how good his/her CV is. So companies screen CV's based on their predetermined criteria.

Lemme now take the issues you addressed one by one:

1. Adding a middle name doesn't make any difference to your CV. Were you using a middle name on your credentials? If the answer is no, then remove it. If yes, you need to add a middle name. In any case, you didn't write it correctly. Any meticulous employer that sees the obvious error will most likely not call you for an interview. It's SURNAME, FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME not FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME, SURNAME as you wrote it (Notice the arrangement and the location of the comma)

2. Personal statements / career objectives are not compulsory for fresh graduates but are usually recommended. You usually need a personal statement when you are sending an unsolicited application or doing a hard copy CV circulation. Personal statements / Career objectives are not really mandatory for fresh graduates who are applying for notable companies online where the job requirements are clearly stated e.g. Shell graduate recruitment, GTB trainee graduate recruitment, KPMG trainee graduate recruitment, etc. It must also be added that personal statements / career objectives are supposed to be tailored for the particular job position. In any case, what you wrote under 'personal statement' is actually called 'career objective'. There is a difference between the two. So I wouldn't give you a pass mark here. So change the heading to 'career objective'. Career objectives are even more suitable for fresh graduates than personal statements because grads usually have little or no experience.

3. A 2-page CV is very fine for a graduate. Except you are categorically asked to limit the length of your CV to one page, you don't have to limit yourself. I wouldn't advise fresh graduates to go beyond 2 pages anyway. When I was still a job seeker, I had both 1-page and 2-page CV's. The 1-page CV was a highly level summary of my profile while the 2-page CV was a bit more detailed. I would advise you to have both handy. I wouldn't advise you to remove the 'past activities' because it's a key selling point for you ( except you feel that the job you are gunning for doesn't fit those activities but I think they will do in many cases). One more thing - You many decide to add skills that you gained or utilized under those those activities (for instance, it could be report writing skills, interpersonal skills, computer skills, marketing skills, negotiation skills, presentation skills, persuasion skills, etc). Or you may decide to write key achievements under the 'work experience' and 'past activities' sections (I noticed you did that in some cases). You may also consider changing the 'past activities' to ' past leadership experiences' or 'past leadership activities' since the activities are leadership-related.

4.The "Competency" section is okay.....though it's always preferable to back them up with examples of how you have utilized the competencies. But it's still fine the way you have outlined then since you have stated your experiences and activities prior to that. I will advise you to replace 'skills' to 'computer/software skills' since they are mainly computer related skills. Did you ever use the specialized software skills? You may want to give examples.

5. You can handle this in 2 ways:
1st option - You can break the work experience into 2 (NYSC experience and 'Part-Time Work Experience'). You can now include the 2 other work experiences under "Part-Time Work Experience' since you were still a university student then!
2nd option - You can move AAAA work experience to the section under 'past activities' and rename the section "Volunteer Experiences" or "Volunteer Activities". That' also very cool.

As it is now, your initial CV is better than your updated CV. Make these changes and the updated CV will be better!

Cheers......

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Excelinpages(m): 12:40pm On Sep 16, 2014
MarvellousGod: can't agree more with you here, thumps up....friends can easily influence

dear OP, am reading your post and really enjoying not just learning about your life and struggles but how you scaled each hurdle. Am currently at the junction of negotiating a career path and men , it ain't easy..
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 12:39pm On Sep 17, 2014
[size=15pt]REFRESHER - CV Writing[/size] ....Cont'd

The characteristics / features of a good CV:

* Tailor made for a particular job or industry or company

* Clear and presentable - easily readable

* Concise and straight to the point (use bullet points where necessary and leave out unimportant details)

* Shows the summary of work, academic and skill profile in a way that can convince the employers (achievement and/or skill driven)

* Use of good and simple template

These are a few issues to note from the CV's received and reviewed so far:

• I notice that some use multiple emails and phone numbers on their CV. It is better to be consistent with one email and if possible, one phone number. I understand that some may want to use 2 phone numbers because of network issues, though one contact number is strongly recommended (use your best and most frequently used phone line). Stick with one email address.

• CV's are meant to summarize your academic background, work experience, past and current activities, skill profiles and your achievements / accomplishments. Its goal is to convince employers that you are the right person for a job. Some are excessively generous with words, putting all kinds of superfluous details and leaving out the important details, thus making it difficult to follow. I will advise that bullet points be used to communicate key points.

• On the other hand, some CV's are damn too scanty or uninteresting. They are just so ordinary. Some CV's look more like a autobiography - showing educational background, NYSC work place, a generic list of skills(probably copied from the net or another CV) and that's it! A resume should highlight your strengths, your achievements and skills in an interesting and if possible, intriguing way. Make your CV distinguishable from the rest. As you write your CV, always have it in mind that the goal is to convince an employer or recruiter to hire you. It's a marketing tool.

It doesn't matter the type of template you use as far as it is easy- to- follow and presentable. There are some really bad templates. Bad templates are unnecessarily fanciful or complex. Use simple and easy-to-follow templates. The most important thing is the content of your CV, not the template. Remember that the recruiter does not usually have all day to read through your CV. In the 4 sample CV's I will post later, I varied the templates to reaffirm that the most important factor in choice of template is simplicity, not aesthetics. I just used some common templates around.

VERY IMPORTANT: Some use good templates but do not spend enough time on the computer to arrange and organize their CV. Some use different and inconsistent mix of fonts (font types, cases, italics, font sizes, bullet points and spacing) making it look so clumsy and poorly worked. I noticed that in some cases. It is not bad to use varied mix of fonts as far as it is consistent, easy-to-follow and presentable. As a matter of fact, it is difficult to write a presentable CV without doing a fine font mix. But I will advise that CV writers learn how to use MS Word properly so that their CV's appears neat and smart.

To be continued.......

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by TheCode(m): 7:56pm On Sep 17, 2014
More kero to your jet sir #following bumper to bumper
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by darddee: 12:16pm On Sep 21, 2014
Thank you so much for the write up. It brings me back sence of relief.looking forward for more lessons.with you I will be street smart. ASAP
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Evergreen4(m): 12:50pm On Sep 21, 2014
@xfire. Sir, I sent you a mail, but I'm yet to get a reply from you.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by petengine(m): 10:58pm On Sep 22, 2014
hello xfire et al. how are u, work and
family? hope good. pls permit me to ask these few
questions; 1. Does E&P coy employed fresh
graduates at entry level as drilling engineers? 2.
what's the typical work activity of a Trainee
engineer, salary and duration of being a trainee
engineer? thanks
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 3:39am On Sep 23, 2014
Evergreen4: @xfire. Sir, I sent you a mail, but I'm yet to get a reply from you.
I am not aware of your mail. Did you specify your username?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.