Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,447 members, 7,808,596 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons (180899 Views)

2015 In Review: My Lessons For The Year. Share Yours. / Towards Achieving Financial Independence! / Your Dream Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (40) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Evergreen4(m): 8:59am On Sep 23, 2014
xfire:
I am not aware of your mail. Did you specify your username?
Yes I did Sir.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 10:40pm On Sep 23, 2014
Evergreen4: Yes I did Sir.
I'm not sure I noticed. You may need to re-send it. Ensure your username is included in the title of the mail please.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers.....
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 23, 2014
xfire:
I'm not sure I noticed. You may need to re-send it. Ensure your username is included in the title of the mail please.

Cheers.....
I never heard back from you. I know you are very busy but I guess it's too late now. I will have to work on it myself the best way I can.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:32am On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: I never heard back from you. I know you are very busy but I guess it's too late now. I will have to work on it myself the best way I can.
The truth is that I have more CV's than I can handle. It's overwhelming. I simply don't have the capacity to work on every CV that I receive. That is why I am going over the topic of CV writing once again. This time around, I will post some sample CV's to serve as a general guide only. Meanwhile just follow and make necessary adjustments as I go on. I can still review yours later in the nearest future.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by xfire: 4:40am On Sep 24, 2014
[size=14pt]REFRESHER - CV Writing[/size]....cont'd

Before I post the sample CV's, lemme make these final notes:

• Fresh graduates should usually have their educational qualifications just after their personal statement / career objectives and personal details. I have seen cases where graduates put their NYSC/Internship experience before their academic information. The reality is that academic qualifications are the most valuable assets of a graduate. So have it first before NYSC/internship experience.
Some include their first school leaving certificate (primary school certificate). This is not necessary but there is absolutely no problem having it there.

• A lot of graduates include their age, state of origin, place of birth and LGA on their CV's. While these details are not prohibited, they are also not absolutely necessarily. I will usually advise graduates to include their age only if they feel that it will give them an advantage over others especially they are still very young. The addition of state of origin is entirely optional, while place of birth and LGA are quite needless though not prohibited.
The decision to include or exclude any personal information is discretionary depending on factors such as target company, job requirements, personal preference, etc.

• A 2-page CV is fine for a graduate. So is a 1-page CV. It is always good to have both as a graduate. Nigerian companies usually receive 2-page CV's for fresh graduate. A fresh job seeker should have both a 2-page CV and a more summarized 1-page CV. CV's with 3 or more pages are not ideal for graduates. I usually used my 2-page CV in all my past job applications except on extremely few cases.

• I have also emphasized that CV's are generally not supposed to be generic. They should be tailored towards the job or company being targeted. CV writing is therefore both an art and a science. There is hardly a single CV that fits all job vacancies ( I do not expect a lot of significant variations in a graduate's CV though due to little or no experience)

• Many graduates need to improve on their career objectives and/or personal profile. I have earlier written extensively on that on this thread. In addition, some of the sample CV's to be posted will contain personal profile or career objective.

and lastly....
• CV is not an end in itself. It's just a means to an end. It's not the only consideration for getting a job. Everyone should make conscious and meticulous effort to ensure that there are no mistakes on their CV's. All grammatical errors should be identified and corrected. CV's should be self-reviewed at least twice before usage. If possible, get a third party to help you with a review even though this is not compulsory if you are quite confident of yourself. There is no 'perfect' way of writing a CV, and people get called up with all kinds of CV's. A good CV is part of the overall impression demonstrated by a candidate that he/she is the best for the job.

Next, I will now post the sample CV's with some notes for clarity and understanding....

To be continued...........

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Evergreen4(m): 7:52am On Sep 24, 2014
xfire:

Cheers.....
I have re-sent the mail
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 8:18am On Sep 24, 2014
xfire:
The truth is that I have more CV's than I can handle. It's overwhelming. I simply don't have the capacity to work on every CV that I receive. That is why I am going over the topic of CV writing once again. This time around, I will post some sample CV's to serve as a general guide only. Meanwhile just follow and make necessary adjustments as I go on. I can still review yours later in the nearest future.
Thanks. It's okay. I understand you are busy. I am too and a bit distracted in a way that I sometimes feel I am not doing things right.

I will like to steal this opportunity to ask you this question: if there is any skill that you feel one should acquire to aid his career prospect, what could it be? By God's grace,if I can attain my financial target this year, there will be lots of re-evaluation on my person in the coming year, 2015. That's why I am asking this question. I want to get some skills, not all these paper certifications being peddled around (I have never liked any) and which has no value, because I know their(the organiser's) core intents were mostly money-driven. I am talking about technical skills that I could even use to freelance without a job but which are highly sort after and needed in the oil and gas industry, something I could technically work with my hands.

For instance, one can stand alone as a webdesigner, a fashion designer, a builder. Going forward, what likely or similar skill that is required in the oil and gas industry can one acquire?

The ones I have in mind are AutoCAD, PDMS... that's just it. Do you have any other one in mind? I will also get my friends to teach me power point, excel and some other computer related skills I need to learn. I like to work with my PC and any skill in that direction will be much fun.

I have resolved and will refrain from writing post which are not properly written in good English, so as to improve my written English. These things count in the least dimensions we don't imagine. I realised that not doing so over the years has disconnected my mind and brain such that they are literally not in sync to propagate and produce the right words when I write, which could give some alluring flavours and embellishments, even though I know their meanings. I used to be voracious reader but declined over the years due to some hurdles that I had to surmount, almost taking up a huge chunk of my time. I was an idiom junky.

Just saying I need to start making changes where necessary.

This year is gone already! To God be the glory for His mercy and compassion on us all.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 9:38am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion: Never knew this thread is still alive. I compiled a neat pdf of Xfire's whole write up, the write up excludes some of the personal advice he gave some guys.
Its 53 pages and I hope you find it useful. The file is just about 800kb.

https://www.dropbox.com/event_details/284839990/575084560/442951218/0
Good day sire. Please can you teach me how to do same. I badly need it. Thanks in anticipation
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 9:45am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Good day sire. Please can you teach me how to do same. I badly need it. Thanks in anticipation
maybe you should send me a pm then.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 10:16am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion: maybe you should send me a pm then.
Sent
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 10:24am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion: maybe you should send me a pm then.
The drop box link is showing error.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 10:26am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Sent
are you sure your mail is working, my mail wasn't delivering.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 10:29am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:
are you sure your mail is working, my mail wasn't delivering.
Yes I pm-ed through nairaland
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 10:35am On Sep 24, 2014
Yeah I saw it, but my mail wasn't delivering.
This is the content of my mail.

Hello good morning,
If you don't already have a pdf  plugin on your Microsoft word yet then you've to download it.
But you can check first,
1. Open a Microsoft word document.
2. Click the home button and click on "Save as". "Save as" gives you an option to convert your document to other formats, under this it will give you an option to save as;
Word doc 98
Word doc 2000
PDF etc.
3. If yours does not have the pdf option, REPLY THIS POST SO I CAN INSTRUCT YOU FURTHER.

@alentyno
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 10:38am On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: The drop box link is showing error.
Whenever I click the link, the pix below is what I see, it's either prompting you to login or register for a dropbox account, is it similar to what you're experiencing?

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 10:39am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion: Yeah I saw it, but my mail wasn't delivering.
This is the content of my mail.

Hello good morning,
If you don't already have a pdf  plugin on your Microsoft word yet then you've to download it.
But you can check first,
1. Open a Microsoft word document.
2. Click the home button and click on "Save as". "Save as" gives you an option to convert your document to other formats, under this it will give you an option to save as;
Word doc 98
Word doc 2000
PDF etc.
3. If yours does not have the pdf option, REPLY THIS POST SO I CAN INSTRUCT YOU FURTHER.

@alentyno
Great. Ride on sire
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 10:54am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Great. Ride on sire
So let's download a pdf plugin,
This link directs you to download a pdf plugin, the file is 934kb in size.
At the bottom of the page you'll have to click on the blue button tagged "NO THANKS, AND CONTINUE"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7

After you've downloaded it, go ahead and install it on your PC. After it must have been successfully installed, the PDF option should now be available for use on your Microsoft Word.
If you were successful, quote me to say so.

1 Like

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 11:06am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:
Whenever I click the link, the pix below is what I see, it's either prompting you to login or register for a dropbox account, is it similar to what you're experiencing?
Okay, let me chime here. I actually have an account dropbox and as a matter of fact, I have some written books stored up there.

If I may ask, where within your dropbox dashboard do you have the file stored? You should move it into "public" folder if it is not there already, click on the tab where the exact file is situated and a "copy public link" will show up on the upper tab. click on that and copy the link thereafter.

I had similar problem wherein people where complaining that they can't download the ebook I shared with them until I did this rectification.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 11:27am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:
So let's download a pdf plugin,
This link directs you to download a pdf plugin, the file is 934kb in size.
At the bottom of the page you'll have to click on the blue button tagged "NO THANKS, AND CONTINUE"

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7

After you've downloaded it, go ahead and install it on your PC. After it must have been successfully installed, the PDF option should now be available for use on your Microsoft Word.
If you were successful, quote me to say so.
Done! Ride on sire......
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Manweysabi(m): 11:30am On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: Thanks. It's okay. I understand you are busy. I am too and a bit distracted in a way that I sometimes feel I am not doing things right.

I will like to steal this opportunity to ask you this question: if there is any skill that you feel one should acquire to aid his career prospect, what could it be? By God's grace,if I can attain my financial target this year, there will be lots of re-evaluation on my person in the coming year, 2015. That's why I am asking this question. I want to get some skills, not all these paper certifications being peddled around (I have never liked any) and which has no value, because I know their(the organiser's) core intents were mostly money-driven. I am talking about technical skills that I could even use to freelance without a job but which are highly sort after and needed in the oil and gas industry, something I could technically work with my hands.

For instance, one can stand alone as a webdesigner, a fashion designer, a builder. Going forward, what likely or similar skill that is required in the oil and gas industry can one acquire?

The ones I have in mind are AutoCAD, PDMS... that's just it. Do you have any other one in mind? I will also get my friends to teach me power point, excel and some other computer related skills I need to learn. I like to work with my PC and any skill in that direction will be much fun.

I have resolved and will refrain from writing post which are not properly written in good English, so as to improve my written English. These things count in the least dimensions we don't imagine. I realised that not doing so over the years has disconnected my mind and brain such that they are literally not in sync to propagate and produce the right words when I write, which could give some alluring flavours and embellishments, even though I know their meanings. I used to be voracious reader but declined over the years due to some hurdles that I had to surmount, almost taking up a huge chunk of my time. I was an idiom junky.

Just saying I need to start making changes where necessary.

This year is gone already! To God be the glory for His mercy and compassion on us all.

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 11:30am On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: Okay, let me chime here. I actually have an account dropbox and as a matter of fact, I have some written books stored up there.

If I may ask, where within your dropbox dashboard do you have the file stored? You should move it into "public" folder if it is not there already, click on the tab where the exact file is situated and a "copy public link" will show up on the upper tab. click on that and copy the link thereafter.

I had similar problem wherein people where complaining that they can't download the ebook I shared with them until I did this rectification.

I think this should do it...

https:///ppSL5eNd

please tell me if it works.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 11:34am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Done! Ride on sire......
i thought you must have installed it by now, if you did your "save as" option should have a pdf option now, does it?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 11:41am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:
i thought you must have installed it by now, if you did your "save as" option should have a pdf option now, does it?
Yes it does but does it mean I have to copy a post from NL for example into MSword?
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 11:51am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Yes it does but does it mean I have to copy a post from NL for example into MSword?

If you want a document to be in pdf format, you've to have the document in Ms word format first then use the "Save as" button to convert it.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by alentyno: 11:56am On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:

If you want a document to be in pdf format, you've to have the document in Ms word format first then use the "Save as" button to convert it.
Ok thanks. God bless for the mini-tutorial. Am grateful
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 11:58am On Sep 24, 2014
alentyno:
Ok thanks. God bless for the mini-tutorial. Am grateful
You're welcome
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 24, 2014
Manweysabi:

oka re smiley undecided
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:

I think this should do it...

please tell me if it works.
Yes, it did. Thanks. I just downloaded it now and let me have a look.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 12:20pm On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: Yes, it did. Thanks. I just downloaded it now and let me have a look.
You're welcome, thanks.
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by Nobody: 12:26pm On Sep 24, 2014
McWhillion:
You're welcome, thanks.
Thanks. I am not used to reading partitioned pages like you did but I will use it that way. It makes it unique. You did an awesome job. God bless you!
Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 12:26pm On Sep 24, 2014
For people who have been having difficulty downloading the complete document on Xfire's write up, this link is for you....

Re: Achieving The Dream Career: My Story, My Lessons by McWhillion(m): 12:27pm On Sep 24, 2014
2sexi: Thanks. I am not used to reading partitioned pages like you did but I will use it that way. It makes it unique. You did an awesome job. God bless you!
Thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (40) (Reply)

Interview Question: 'What Time Are You Available To Start Work?' / How To Become A Nse, Coren Registered Engineer In Nigeria / CFA Candidates In The House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.