Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,570 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 PM

One Atheist's Creed - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / One Atheist's Creed (1336 Views)

Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / The Atheist Creed! / The Reasons You Must Stop Arguing With Atheist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 10:42am On Aug 06, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCiLVCEqnRg

If you follow that, why do you need god?

Enjoy
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 12:35pm On Aug 06, 2008
atheist's see themselves as perfect whereas there is no such man that is perfect. yes, a man who believes in God is a christian and considers himself
not to be perfect but strives to be by the help of God.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 12:40pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

atheist's see themselves as perfect whereas there is no such man that is perfect. yes, a man who believes in God is a christian and considers himself
not to be perfect but strives to be by the help of God.

How did you come by that assessment that atheist see themselves as perfect? Absolutely NOT. The considered atheist is one who has gone through a process of evaluating the various religious and supernatural claims and decided they are simply stupid. He/she then finds solutions and meaning in human capability and strife for a betterment of the human conditions thru natural means. That does not mean s/he is perfect.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 12:54pm On Aug 06, 2008
what natural means? so if evaluating the various religions and supernatural claims are stupid to you how do you deduce
that that being honest and compassionate towards others, discriminating against ppl based on race, gender, religion or
sexual orientation etc, are good and bad
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 1:03pm On Aug 06, 2008
@ huxley
on what basis of your evaluation did you carry out on the different
religions and and supernatural claims before coming to the conclusion
that they are stupid?? i'll like to know.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by wirinet(m): 1:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
Keba,

Religion is not supposed to make sense, or else the very essence of religion itself would be defeated. You are to accept all the doctrines as a matter of FAITH.

The way you view a Hindu worshiping a cow and washing his sins in the River Ganges is the same way he see you worshiping a man undergoing capital punishment (crucifixion), with blood dripping all over his body, and washing away of sins with spiritual or real blood.

Also not all religions are absolute monarchy in Nature (God the supreme ruler, dictating his commands, which must be obeyed and having his ego continually massaged by praising him constantly and generally ernexisting just to make him happy.

Some eastern religions has Gods that do not demand to be worshiped but only demand you find the right path to enlightenment and happiness.

So please do not Judge others based on your own beliefs and rules.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 1:55pm On Aug 06, 2008
wirinet:

Keba,

Religion is not supposed to make sense, or else the very essence of religion itself would be defeated. You are to accept all the doctrines as a matter of FAITH.

The way you view a Hindu worshiping a cow and washing his sins in the River Ganges is the same way he see you worshiping a man undergoing capital punishment (crucifixion), with blood dripping all over his body, and washing away of sins with spiritual or real blood.

Also not all religions are absolute monarchy in Nature (God the supreme ruler, dictating his commands, which must be obeyed and having his ego continually massaged by praising him constantly and generally ernexisting just to make him happy.

Some eastern religions has Gods that do not demand to be worshiped but only demand you find the right path to enlightenment and happiness.

So please do not Judge others based on your own beliefs and rules.
i have not judged anyone rather you are the one judging me lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 2:07pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

@ huxley
on what basis of your evaluation did you carry out on the different
religions and and supernatural claims before coming to the conclusion
that they are stupid?? i'll like to know.

Can any of them show any evidence for what they claim? Take for instance, the biblical claim of Adam&Eve, Eden, Flood, etc. Are there any evidence for these events?
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 2:13pm On Aug 06, 2008
wirinet:

Also not all religions are absolute monarchy in Nature [b](God the supreme ruler, dictating his commands, which must be obeyed and having his ego continually massaged by praising him constantly and generally ernexisting just to make him happy[/b.

[/quote
from your highlighted comment above, it is not compulsory to worship, obey or even praise God if it is not your wish to do so. if you do see him as a
dictator, good for you.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 2:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
huxley:

Can any of them show any evidence for what they claim? Take for instance, the biblical claim of Adam&Eve, Eden, Flood, etc. Are there any evidence for these events?
this is one among many answers so what about islam, hindu, budhaism, judaism etc,
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 2:22pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

this is one among many answers so what about islam, hindu, budhaism, judaism etc,

You have got to start with one. I choose to start with what I am familiar with and that is Christianity, a culture in which I was raised.

The other traditions (islam, hindu, budhaism, judaism) are equally wrong. The have absolutely NO evidence for their claims.

Look, if you have any evidence from any religion, put it on the table and let us examine it in the light of reason. I await such evidence with bated breath.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 2:34pm On Aug 06, 2008
huxley:

You have got to start with one. I choose to start with what I am familiar with and that is Christianity, a culture in which I was raised.

The other traditions (islam, hindu, budhaism, judaism) are equally wrong. The have absolutely NO evidence for their claims.

Look, if you have any evidence from any religion, put it on the table and let us examine it in the light of reason. I await such evidence with bated breath.
does that make you an outcast shocked shocked
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 2:38pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

does that make you an outcast shocked shocked

What a bizarre question! An outcast from what/where?

In fact, are you an outcast from Islam, or Judaism?
Re: One Atheist's Creed by wirinet(m): 2:47pm On Aug 06, 2008
huxley:

My friend Huxley, how are you doing, and how is your crusade going?

Now let me answer your above question.

Yes, there are some evidence of some of the stories, with exaggerations of course. although i have not been able to find any evidence for the Adan, Eve and Eden Stories, i know that the story is from Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian and Mesopotamian origin. Although each version is slightly different from the others. Also the names of the characters and places differ from place to place.

But the flood story has a base in a flood that scholars believed occurred in southern Mesopotamia in approximately 2900 B.C. The story is strikingly similar to the EPIC OF GILGAMESH, and i believe Jewish writers copied it from there, since it was a popular subject of literature around the period.

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh, it is more detailed than the Noah,s story.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 2:52pm On Aug 06, 2008
huxley:

What a bizarre question! An outcast from what/where?

In fact, are you an outcast from Islam, or Judaism?
you are the outcast cos you said you were raised and you ran away later making you
an outcast.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 2:57pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

you are the outcast because you said you were raised and you ran away later making you
an outcast.

Well, in a way, you are right. It is really hard to live in a community in which you have a minority and unpopular opinion. But that does not worry me in the least. But I don't consider myself as an outcast from the majority community.

I just subject all my views and opinions to the best critical appraisal I possibly could. If that means I cannot reach a decision for lack of the relevant evidence, so be it. I prefer to suspend judgment until the evidence comes in.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by onyinye2(f): 2:59pm On Aug 06, 2008
So Huxley you are basically saying that you have no sin and have committed no sin?
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 3:05pm On Aug 06, 2008
onyinye2:

So Huxley you are basically saying that you have no sin and have committed no sin?

What do you mean by the word sin? I do not understand the word. Can you help by defining it for me?
Re: One Atheist's Creed by wirinet(m): 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2008

from your highlighted comment above, it is not compulsory to worship, obey or even praise God if it is not your wish to do so. if you do see him as a dictator, good for you.

kiba, our neurons operate at different frequencies, so i do not expect us to view things the same way. To me this whole idea about worship and fear of God seems silly. Even as a kid, i found reminding God how powerful and great he is everyday, sometimes many times an hour, simply irrational. It reminds me of a great pharaoh or Caesar who needs ego massaging daily to keep himself happy, So you have to blow trumpet, tell him he is the mighty conqueror of all the nations and tremble at his feet, submitting your life to his mercy.

Also I have often wonder why we have to Fear and practically dread "our loving God" because of the harm he promises to unleash on us in this life and the next, if we do not obey. I feel a loving God should be Loved not feared. Same way as your father or a leader. A feared leader is not a good leader.

That is they way my stupid, queer mind works. It is not as sane as privileged people like you.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by onyinye2(f): 3:07pm On Aug 06, 2008
huxley:

What do you mean by the word sin? I do not understand the word. Can you help by defining it for me?
any act regarded as such a transgression, esp. a willful or deliberate violation of some religious or moral principle.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 3:11pm On Aug 06, 2008
from what huxley is saying means that he's an atheist cos he's not into judaism, islam, buddahism or thier
likes and was once into christainity but left.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 3:16pm On Aug 06, 2008
wirinet:

My friend Huxley, how are you doing, and how is your crusade going?

Now let me answer your above question.

Yes, there are some evidence of some of the stories, with exaggerations of course. although i have not been able to find any evidence for the Adan, Eve and Eden Stories, i know that the story is from Sumerian, Babylonian, Assyrian and Mesopotamian origin. Although each version is slightly different from the others. Also the names of the characters and places differ from place to place.

But the flood story has a base in a flood that scholars believed occurred in southern Mesopotamia in approximately 2900 B.C. The story is strikingly similar to the EPIC OF GILGAMESH, and i believe Jewish writers copied it from there, since it was a popular subject of literature around the period.

Read the Epic of Gilgamesh, it is more detailed than the Noah,s story.

Hello wirinet. Nice to see you are here again.

Yes, there is a lot of evidence that the Jews incorporated into their mythologies aspect from the neighboring mythologies. The biblical flood narrative is a case in point, copies and adapted from the Epic of Gilgemesh and some other source. In fact if you read the narrative carefully you would see that it is in fact two stories splices into one in the bible. For instance, one account has the flood lasting 40 days/night, another lasting about a year. One has the bird that Noah sent out as a raven, the other a dove. One has the animals taken in sets of seven for clean animals, the other as pairs. How to you account for these difference.

If interested check out what is called "The documentary Hypothesis" for a detailed account of how the Old Testament was put together.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by huxley(m): 3:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
keba:

from what huxley is saying means that he's an atheist because he's not into judaism, islam, buddahism or their
likes and was once into christainity but left.

Yes, I have no belief in god(s) because I don't know what god(s) is(are). Thus, you could say I am an atheist.
Re: One Atheist's Creed by keba(m): 3:20pm On Aug 06, 2008
wirinet:

kiba, our neurons operate at different frequencies, so i do not expect us to view things the same way. To me this whole idea about worship and fear of God seems silly. Even as a kid, i found reminding God how powerful and great he is everyday, sometimes many times an hour, simply irrational. It reminds me of a great pharaoh or Caesar who needs ego massaging daily to keep himself happy, So you have to blow trumpet, tell him he is the mighty conqueror of all the nations and tremble at his feet, submitting your life to his mercy.

Also I have often wonder why we have to Fear and practically dread "our loving God" because of the harm he promises to unleash on us in this life and the next, if we do not obey. I feel a loving God should be Loved not feared. Same way as your father or a leader. A feared leader is not a good leader.

That is they way my stupid, queer mind works. It is not as sane as privileged people like you.
i understand what you mean. from your earlier post, you made it look like it was compulsory to worship God the way you described but that should'nt be.
each and every individual has his/her own way to go to God not necessarily the way you sounded.

(1) (Reply)

King Solomon / Atheism: The illogical philosophy / Nairaland Theological Forum:- Is It A Forum Or A Pulpit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.