Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works (10567 Views)

Godwin Onyekachi Okpocha's Art Works (Basket Mouth's Brother) / My Brother's Art Works (pics) / New Strokes From Centje And Bro (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Superstar007(m): 9:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
One Word "Awesome!!" Keep up the good work @Op

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by chiketee(m): 9:47pm On Jan 05, 2014
I'm jealous jor. The talent too much

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
chiketee: I'm jealous jor. The talent too much

dasparrow: @Post

Very beautiful artwork. Keep it up!

Superstar007: One Word "Awesome!!" Keep up the good work @Op
Thanks!
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Onegai(f): 10:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
blink182: Your paintings are fine but most of your drawings are wrong especially this man riding a bicycle. His eye level can not go higher than the doors and windows of those houses no matter how far the buildings are unless they are on a hill. From your mid line or vp I can see the houses are not on a hill but flat ground. You can verify what I'm saying by snapping this same scene with a camera. It is better to draw from a picture than to draw from imagination, the rules to follow while drawing from imagination are too much but using a picture will guide you. Even the great masters like donatello, caravaggio, da Vici, Michaelangelo and even picasso despite his non realistic approach mostly worked from images. It is obvious you have a lot to learn and it seems you want to make a living of art, then I advise you go back to learn how to draw.

I hope this was as constructive as possible and you don't see it as me trying to ruin you. The SNA is one big professional family and I think we should help each other.

I am not a master, neither have I held a brush since 2008 but remember whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. The things I said above are some of the things that separate us trained artist from those that are just gifted without training.

I wish you the best but I can not buy any of your works I have seen because whenever I look at them, I can't get to their intrinsic value without being obstructed by technical defects. Like my lecturer once said 'artist of nowadays like practising non realistic art forms of expression to hide their defects'. Truth is, it is only when you practise true abstract forms of expression that you can hide drawing defects anything aside that exposes you.

Master realism my friend, learn to produce picture perfect paintings or drawings before branching off into other non realistic forms of art expression. Ben enwonwu, Bruce Onobrakpeya and their power clique didn't just get there despite their non realistic work, go and search for their works with realism and you will be amazed.

I owe you a bottle of Gulder for this. And you're from SNA, hmmm, I will catch you soon. grin

Seriously, Centje, you have talent, but talent is never enough. I've mentioned it that you needed formal training, at a studio. Your drawing skills aren't strong, and I know this because I was in the same boat as you. All talent, no technique makes Jack a bad painter. Abstract is more than designing rectangles and geometric shapes, and I assure you EVERY fantastic Realistic Abstract, Dadaism, Cubism, any mildly abstract painter I know of that was a master, could draw realistically, beautifully. Even abroad, they yab Art students running to Abstract, because most run there to cover flaws in Design, Drawing, Value, Perspective and Technique with flourishing geometric shapes and bright colour.

To quote Abiodun Olaku (please google him), "if you need more than ONE paragraph to explain your painting, it's not a strong painting. People should be able to see your vision and add their own feelings to what you are saying".

As a colourist, your use of colour, especially in the palm wine tapper, is very undeveloped. I liked the first painting, then saw that, and it made see more issues in the paintings. There's so much info from books and online, and joining SNA is free (shey??). Learn the basics under a master, then free yourself from the rules.
I'm not trying to run you down, but if you don't believe me, take your work to National Art Theatre, Artists Village, or any respectable gallery (not those street people) and let them tell you what they feel. There's a huge difference in work that sells for N30,000 and never increases in value and work that sells for N80,000 and 9 years later, was resold for N2.5 million. Ben Enwonwu last year sold for N30 million in the UK, the man sculpted Queen Elizabeth (statue is in Buckingham Palace I believe), no matter how easy his abstract looked, he had SOLID foundation skills.
Please do the right thing, for your sake.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Psychedelia(m): 10:46pm On Jan 05, 2014
I love the "work in progress" the best.
Overall, splendid work! More power to your elbow, oil to your palette and beauty to your canvas.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by ganasy: 10:49pm On Jan 05, 2014
nice works man....uar really talented
congratulations
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Amber10(f): 10:52pm On Jan 05, 2014
...Good pieces @ Centje..any connoisseur would keep an eye on you..maybe some of the pieces could do with some depth/ character and i am not sure my interpretion will aptly match some of the titles.
'work in progress/ love like a butterfly..i personally appreciate. Well done.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2014
Amber10: ...Good pieces @ Centje..any connoisseur would keep an eye on you..maybe some of the pieces could do with some depth/ character and i am not sure my interpretion will aptly match some of the titles.
'work in progress/ love like a butterfly..i personally appreciate. Well done.

ganasy: nice works man....uar really talented
congratulations

Psychedelia: I love the "work in progress" the best.
Overall, splendid work! More power to your elbow, oil to your palette and beauty to your canvas.
Lol...thanks all. Thank you @onegai, i get your drift.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by adezjamz(m): 11:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
dasparrow: @Post

Very beautiful artwork. Keep it up!

Thank you
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by lupey: 12:46am On Jan 06, 2014

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by omopalava: 3:07am On Jan 06, 2014
Looking at some of them, I must say, I'm questioning the sober part. Good going nevertheless! Very evocative! cool
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 7:08am On Jan 06, 2014
Onegai:

I owe you a bottle of Gulder for this. And you're from SNA, hmmm, I will catch you soon. grin

Seriously, Centje, you have talent, but talent is never enough. I've mentioned it that you needed formal training, at a studio. Your drawing skills aren't strong, and I know this because I was in the same boat as you. All talent, no technique makes Jack a bad painter. Abstract is more than designing rectangles and geometric shapes, and I assure you EVERY fantastic Realistic Abstract, Dadaism, Cubism, any mildly abstract painter I know of that was a master, could draw realistically, beautifully. Even abroad, they yab Art students running to Abstract, because most run there to cover flaws in Design, Drawing, Value, Perspective and Technique with flourishing geometric shapes and bright colour.

To quote Abiodun Olaku (please google him), "if you need more than ONE paragraph to explain your painting, it's not a strong painting. People should be able to see your vision and add their own feelings to what you are saying".

As a colourist, your use of colour, especially in the palm wine tapper, is very undeveloped. I liked the first painting, then saw that, and it made see more issues in the paintings. There's so much info from books and online, and joining SNA is free (shey??). Learn the basics under a master, then free yourself from the rules.
I'm not trying to run you down, but if you don't believe me, take your work to National Art Theatre, Artists Village, or any respectable gallery (not those street people) and let them tell you what they feel. There's a huge difference in work that sells for N30,000 and never increases in value and work that sells for N80,000 and 9 years later, was resold for N2.5 million. Ben Enwonwu last year sold for N30 million in the UK, the man sculpted Queen Elizabeth (statue is in Buckingham Palace I believe), no matter how easy his abstract looked, he had SOLID foundation skills.
Catch me ke, I'm in a small town in delta state state. All these sna people want me to come live in a big city, I do not have time for that. I love my peace. I'm a graphic artist actually and you know the level of realism we work with while producing mock jobs.

I've veered off into computer sha but that is not to say i'll let what I know fade off.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by hayoakins(m): 10:05am On Jan 06, 2014
Onegai:

For the love of art, i sure like what i saw but these guys perhaps saw what we cant see...you asked for constructive criticism, now you have it but you never responded to them...it's obvious you really didnt want to be critised as you only quoted and responded to "Oh, i love the paintings, they are awesome"...

Take their advise and run with it...it will only make you better.

Peace

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by AleshKeem(m): 10:20am On Jan 06, 2014
Onegai:
I've been seeing posts including "SNA" is it a group or what? Can you trow more lights please!
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 06, 2014
hayoakins:

For the love of art, i sure like what i saw but these guys perhaps saw what we cant see...you asked for constructive criticism, now you have it but you never responded to them...it's obvious you really didnt want to be critised as you only quoted and responded to "Oh, i love the paintings, they are awesome"...

Peace
Lol, he didn't quote me but he sure thanked me in one of his posts. He had better run with it for his own good, like my colleague said, he should try visiting where professional painters converge in Nigeria and show them his works. He will be dumbfounded by what they think about his work.

Art collectors that buy works for 300k and above I mean the really wealthy and institutional collectors, they know these things too or even higher a critique to look at works for them to ensure they are not buying paint on canvas only.

I have 2 of Bruce Onobrakpeya's work at home. The last time an expatriate visited that was like 1997, he was willing to pay over a million for each work. My dad is the actual owner and the works are older than me, that aside year by year the works keep adding value and the moment the professor dies, each of those works could be worth at least N10m. The works are already in their 30's as I speak.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by AleshKeem(m): 10:29am On Jan 06, 2014
blink182: The SNA is one big professional family and I think we should help each other.
Hello, can you please tell me more about SNA?
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 06, 2014
centje: www.nairaland.com/attachments/1493957_tmp_Sober_reflection_on_beautiful_nigeria_100_resized_12041737298_jpg5b93fa021f85d8a4cfc71e62eceeda49

The painting is titled 'sober reflection on beautiful nigeria. it's about a inward reflection on a resourceful country, nigeria, at 100 years. it's about nigeria despite her beautiful and hardworking children has not been able to take her rightful place as gaint of africa and top countries of the world.
we keep making good policies, initiatives, good agenda, visions (including the current vision 2020) yet we've got nothing strong enough to fire up the spirit of patriotism. the only thing that comes close is our achievements in sports, specifically football.

In the painting...the female figure, the flower patterns, and the color combinations symbolizes a beautiful mother; nigeria, and our nigerian colour; green-white-green.
To the right of the female figure, in the background, [b]is the map of nigeria. And in the center of the map is a 100...turned around like this '001' [/b]and artistically twisted (two circles and a red stick). notice a drop of fluid from the lower end of the 'red stick'...this reprents oil, our major source of revenue. One of the circles (the central one) looks like an eye or lens representing our various visions ( including vision 2020). Then below the circles are different color patterns portraying beautiful people of nigeria from different tribes who are forever hoping for a better nigeria.
At the top right is a colour pattern symbolising our flag (green-white-green). our flag is one of the things I love about this country, very simple and beatiful, good colour combination. I duff my punk for the person that designed it.
Finally, the female figure, nigeria, mother of many children is eyes closed...in sober reflection on nigeria @100 years.

'sober reflection on beautiful nigeria'
oil on canvas
70cm × 90cm
I can't find the map
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 06, 2014
hayoakins:

Peace
i responded to every post, i quoted the ones that are short. Why would i ask for something when am not ready for it. At least am old enough to know what i want.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 06, 2014
koastar:
I can't find the map
look deeper grin
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by kannymoore(m): 12:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
grin
koastar:
I can't find the map

Gaze @ the bottom 1/4 on the right half of the painting....its not a full map but its there.

@ centje.. How far bro...? Longest of times!! *Grin*

@ onegail.... grin
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by elobyobi: 1:21pm On Jan 06, 2014
blink182: Your paintings are fine but most of your drawings are wrong especially this man riding a bicycle. His eye level can not go higher than the doors and windows of those houses no matter how far the buildings are unless they are on a hill. From your mid line or vp I can see the houses are not on a hill but flat ground. You can verify what I'm saying by snapping this same scene with a camera. It is better to draw from a picture than to draw from imagination, the rules to follow while drawing from imagination are too much but using a picture will guide you. Even the great masters like donatello, caravaggio, da Vici, Michaelangelo and even picasso despite his non realistic approach mostly worked from images. It is obvious you have a lot to learn and it seems you want to make a living of art, then I advise you go back to learn how to draw.

I hope this was as constructive as possible and you don't see it as me trying to ruin you. The SNA is one big professional family and I think we should help each other.

I am not a master, neither have I held a brush since 2008 but remember whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. The things I said above are some of the things that separate us trained artist from those that are just gifted without training.

I wish you the best but I can not buy any of your works I have seen because whenever I look at them, I can't get to their intrinsic value without being obstructed by technical defects. Like my lecturer once said 'artist of nowadays like practising non realistic art forms of expression to hide their defects'. Truth is, it is only when you practise true abstract forms of expression that you can hide drawing defects anything aside that exposes you.

Master realism my friend, learn to produce picture perfect paintings or drawings before branching off into other non realistic forms of art expression. Ben enwonwu, Bruce Onobrakpeya and their power clique didn't just get there despite their non realistic work, go and search for their works with realism and you will be amazed.
Who be dis wan?! undecided
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 2:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
kannymoore: grin

Gaze @ the bottom 1/4 on the right half of the painting....its not a full map but its there.

@ centje.. How far bro...? Longest of times!! *Grin*

@ onegail.... grin

kanny, been a while...you still draw?
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Rocktation(f): 3:49pm On Jan 06, 2014
I've always loved the big-deal way the artists present the impressions..even though all I can see most of the time, are just two strokes of the color yellow and green. embarassed It is well sha...
Well done, Centje.

blink182: It is obvious you have a lot to learn and it seems you want to make a living of art, then I advise you go back to learn how to draw.

It might interest you to know that Centje is making a good living (I'm sure) as a Medic already. undecided

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Onegai(f): 8:15pm On Jan 06, 2014
SNA is Society of Nigerian Artists.

I don't want to mention their names, but some of the posters responding to you are professional, full-time artists who are selling paintings and sculptures at Art Galleries and Exhibitions and doing well (I've caught like 3 so far grin ). And they're not saying much. (all of you, do NOT yab me on my thread, you know I don't know how to draw grin na now I dey learn work, abeg go easy on me). I answered fully because I'm critiquing you as an artist, and I do understand where you're coming from (luckily, I proved myself to serious artists, who started training me).

@Blink182, can we marry? You're a multi-millionaire because of those Onobrakpeya paintings. I got a statue recently, and someone said it was a Lamidi Fakeye. If it is, I'm retiring from Life and buying a private jet grin

May I introduce you to some Abstract Nigerian Painters? I'll start with Gani Odutokun. The late Gani Odutokun was a professor of Art at ABU Zaria, he's listed in the "Artists of Nigeria" reference book (on sale for N10,000) and has had international exhibitions. Google him and see the write-ups on him by international curators. Those paintings below, they ain't cheap.

3 Likes

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by AleshKeem(m): 8:40pm On Jan 06, 2014
Onegai: (all of you, do NOT yab me on my thread, you know I don't know how to draw grin na now I dey learn work, abeg go easy on me)

Onegai...heehee see witch for drawing oo....u knw all d errors in Artworks and u teach us on ur thread....NO FORMING FOR ME (in Wizkid's voice)
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Onegai(f): 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2014
Alesh Keem:
Onegai...heehee see witch for drawing oo....u knw all d errors in Artworks and u teach us on ur thread....NO FORMING FOR ME (in Wizkid's voice)

No problem, I've been sending links to your thread around. You should hear what even non-artists are saying. But I'll let you continue happily, we're in Nigeria, we celebrate mediocrity with a vengeance grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by AleshKeem(m): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
Onegai:

But I'll let you continue happily, we're in Nigeria, we celebrate mediocrity with a vengeance grin grin grin
Abeg o....I'm not happy yet...still learning from u oo....Dnt give up on ur boy yet sad
Onegai:

But I'll let you continue happily, we're in Nigeria, we celebrate mediocrity with a vengeance grin grin grin
Abeg o....I'm not happy yet...still learning from u oo....Dnt give up on ur boy yet
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
@onegai...what does the first painting mean?
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jan 06, 2014
Rocktation: I've always loved the big-deal way the artists present the impressions..even though all I can see most of the time, are just two strokes of the color yellow and green. embarassed It is well sha...
Well done, Centje

It might interest you to know that Centje is making a good living (I'm sure) as a Medic already. undecided
happy new year rockbabe,...dont worry i will open your eyes to see more strokes grin...anyway thanks a bunch!
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by kannymoore(m): 9:22pm On Jan 06, 2014
Alesh Keem:

My guy............chill.
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by kannymoore(m): 9:27pm On Jan 06, 2014
centje: kanny, been a while...you still draw?

Well.., I dey try to.. Once in a while. By the way, how far with Felis?!..the sweet girl just disappeared FiiiAM!!! from Nairaland. I hope all's well with her Sha. If u take stye see am, just help me tell am say I dey miss am wella.
embarassed
Re: My New Strokes: Sober Reflection On Beautiful Nigeria @100 + More Art Works by Rocktation(f): 9:28pm On Jan 06, 2014
@Centje- Same to you man! It can be real depressing when after we think that we have arrived, someone goes ahead to burst our bubbles. Just note all what our Van Goghs are saying. You're as gifted as they come.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Artworks I Made With My Android Phone / 7 Killer Tips For Logo Design / My Pencil Drawing Portfolio - Kifeyous Art

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.