Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (33983 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bombay: 12:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
fashola is a corrupt fellow, he should be jailed efcc is waiting in the wings shocked
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bakynes(m): 12:47pm On Jan 02, 2014
I don't know y pple will be comparing Uyo nt even d entire Akwa-Ibom to Lagos state. Like shymexx said a small land mass under pressure from 20million pple to a big land mass from a far lesser pressure from 3 million pple. Fine some pple talked abt IGR bt if am nt mistaken Akwa-Ibom as one of the leading states in Oil Production earns more than Lagos interms of FG allocation, so is nw left to the IGR to cater for 20million pple with continous influx of more pple from other parts of the country and you dare say Fashola has done Nothing. As for those saying its d FG that developed lagos, don't forget the Colony of Lagos was developed by the british b4 d FG saved themselves some stress and made it Capital.As for those saying igbos developed lagos u must be high on smoking weed, is it tax paid by some of the spare parts dealer or the Gala sellers on the highway that is generating the huge IGR for lagos? Or its the many Multinationals and foreign hotels all over lagos that is generating most part of the IGR. Think deeply Fashola is a Nigerian like everyone else and will most definitely be corrupt bt compared to other state governors in Nigeria he is a god.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 12:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
benardtotti: my broda,your logic is very faulty,if your still in school I will strongly suggest you take some courses in political sciences,cos you have good reasoning but you need to sharpen it in the right dirction,I don't know wat part of lagos you live ,but am perfectly satisfied with all the places in lagos I have lived,surulere,(near luth),yaba(near unilag) and ajah(badore),all hav witnessed a touch of LASG,tarred roads,water(espcially yyaba)even street lights,it was not so bck in 98,which means something changed.it is not yet d best,but at least if u are a smmart citizen u can key in and prosper your life.

I read books on Public Admin. My Dad has them, he got an M.Sc in it. That said, it is true BRF is working. He has gotten all the accolades. Few naysayers eg GEJ. I'm not one. I'm pointing out obvious flaws.

Fact: Lagos is poorly planned. In fact, I'm not sure the state's physical planning dept is active. Few people go to them for approval.

Fact: Many roads are still undone. In fact, in that regard the LASG faces a Herculean task.

Fact: Many schools are still in poor shape. For example, you increased LASU fees for what exactly ? How have students benefited.

Fact: He is not as good as people think.

Maybe someone will comprehensively rebut my points in the OP. So far there really hasn't been one. Only the issue of teacher being paid #10 which was a mistake.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:
So everyone gravitates to EA City to 'relax' ? You funny o ! There are easily many islands around Lagos that can be developed. Beaches and all-what-nots. BTW parks provide greenery (which is your reason for supporting EA vity) at acheaper cost

When you're planning a city, you just don't build commercial centres everywhere. You keep everything with an axis or two. I don't know if you have been to the UK, however, that's why certain places are designated as the business/commercial centres. London has two - Canary Wharf and the City of London. Birmingham has one from the Bullring, to Moor street. New York city has one in Manhattan etc.. You don't expect them to keep building business/commercial centres on every Island in Lagos, do you?

You are funny. The focus of this thread is Lagos. Neither did I blame Lagos for the woes of Nigeria but for places it has failed in Lagos. I also said there's only so mych Fashola can do in an over-centralized govt. Still not an excuse not to take a chance to be better.

Better. I know Fashola isn't perfect but he's definitely a messiah among his peers. Why can't you open a thread about Akwa Ibom? Despite its huge allocation, large landmass and small population - the family of the governor can't even live in the state. His wife and children live in Lagos. I believe the Kano state governor is doing a good job. I like the Osun state governor. Got my eyes on Ogun and the strides the state governor is making. Most Edo people love their state governor - and the same for Rivers. I was on Enugu for a while, but it seems the governor is forever sick and in hospital. That's about it.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
Lagos does have a lot of challenges. Uncontrolled rural-urban drift over the decades has created a real monster. Other than the major business districts, industrial layouts and high-brow residential developments, the poor planning is something that could have been managed far better. The overpopulation doesn't help issues. It's not just about the immigration but Nigerians have to stop breeding like rats and vermin. We're almost overdue for a China-style one family-one child policy. We're more overpopulated than China is considering the landmass and infrastructure.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 1:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
bakynes: I don't know y pple will be comparing Uyo nt even d entire Akwa-Ibom to Lagos state. Like shymexx said a small land mass under pressure from 20million pple to a big land mass from a far lesser pressure from 3 million pple.

Lagos population is less than 10 million based on the last census.
What is your basis of the 20 million people

Think deeply Fashola is a Nigerian like everyone else and will most definitely be corrupt bt compared to other state governors in Nigeria he is a god.

Your confession is noted for future reference.
However you should understand that Fashola is VERY corrupt with LASG roads being done for 2-3 times the cost per kilometre of federal roads. Meanwhile the LASG roads are handled by cheap & cheerful Chinco contractors shocked shocked
That is just one example.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 02, 2014
doc sholz: I still say the problem of Lagos is excessive immigration into the state even nyc with it's superior infrastructure are about just 19million, hence the need for other regions of the country to develop to stop the immigration or even reverse it

And as for housing the future is in high rise buildings unfortunately this requires constant power which we do not have, ultimately corruption is our biggest problem which leads to every other problem

You make sense
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 1:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Obi1kenobi: Lagos does have a lot of challenges. Uncontrolled rural-urban drift over the decades has created a real monster.

We should stop making excuses for Fashola's wasted six plus years.

The same migration into Lagos was there when Awo was Premier of the Western region that included a large chunk of today's Lagos STATE. That did not stop the late sage from his remarkable progressive achievements.

The influx DID NOT stop while Lateef Jakande was governor for only four years and he guaranteed free education up to secondary school for ALL children resident in Lagos WITHOUT discrimination and set up heavily subsidised LASU among other mass-impact achievements.

So what exactly is this excuse that Fashola is hampered by influx of people into Lagos.
It doe not hamper him from generating some 60% (300 billion) of his budget from the same population one way or another, does it

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 1:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Those countries are better today because of what government at the center achieved not the mayors of the different regions. There's not much a state government can do, especially in the case of Lagos, that has about 20% of the country's population despite being the smallest in the country.

That's true BUT good local governance can cushion bad federal governance to an extent. The political structures and good use of them have helped a lot in such places BUT state governance can always be of tremendous importance. It safe to assume the 2008 mortgage housing bust in US affected each state differently because of policies each stag.te govt. put in place.

shymexx:
Oil money doesn't fund Lagos. Lagos contributes more the FG purse than it gets back in return. Many multinationals and important companies have their headquarters there not because of the FG, but because of the status of the place. That was also why the Brits moved the capital to the Lagos and also why Lagos was a slave coast. Even when the slaves returned, most of them returned to Lagos because of the same reason. The IGR might be huge compared to other Nigerian states, however, it isn't that much when compared to other thriving megacities across the globe, hence why the place is the way it's.

Big lie. Oil money funds Lagos (a good part). In fact all state govts.

shymexx:
Negligible minority. The minimum wage is N18,000 and that's not even up to £100. Overwhelming majority don't earn that much.

Utter tosh. Define middle class? The truth is that the overwhelming majority of Nigerians are dirt poor.

Nonsense ! There is a middle class. Which kain stupidity be this o ! People wey dey by Samsung, iPads, tokunbo foreign cars etc poor so ? They are the middle class. Go back and do your economics well.

shymexx:
What are the basics? You have to create wealth, so as to be able to increase your spending. With Eko Atlantic, that would generate more revenue for the state government and the money would be used to fund other projects. It would also create employment opportunity, more people with cash and distribute wealth. That means more taxes and more revenue. Just look at the bigger picture.

Okay. Mainly because you corrected my impression that govt largely financed it. Even then it's quite the waste. I think many of these estates being built are expensive. Funny thing is people will still forego them to negotiate with private landlords. That I know from experience.

shymexx:
The structure of government in Nigeria is flawed. There's little the state government can do about wealth creation - that's the job of the FG. The state government can only cater to certain infrastructural needs of the people in places that are within their jurisdiction. And I believe the Lagos state government is head and shoulders above others if Nigerian standard, its snarly population and what's attainable in other states is used as a yardstick.

For Chris' sakes my focus is what LASG is failing at. If you want a thread praising Fashola, there are many in the archives: feel free to make one sef. Yes the FG takes a huge blame but that doesn't exonarate LASG from blame. I have already acknowledged the FG is over-centralized.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bakynes(m): 1:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

Lagos population is less than 10 million based on the last census.
What is your basis of the 20 million people

Your confession is noted for future reference.
However you should understand that Fashola is VERY corrupt with LASG roads being done for 2-3 times the cost per kilometre of federal roads. Meanwhile the LASG roads are handled by cheap & cheerful Chinco contractors shocked shocked
That is just one example.

1.Do you think some pple in lagos have a home to be counted by the census guys? check wiki and see for yourself the population figure.Each time I go out am always stressed coz the congestion on d road, the hold up and from other states ve visited, ve never witnessed such stress so that also proves lagos population @ 20million is justified.
2.Did the budget for road construction pass through your table? for you to know it was done for 2-3 times the cost of Federal roads.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by RealMccoy2(m): 1:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
20 million people in Lagos is a fallacy. Nigeria that can not conduct census is releasing a population data grin grin
Does naija government have a data base of her citizen born from 1990 to date? Those ethnic champions asking people to leave Lagos, are you willing to advocate for a sovereign national conference? If a certain region decides to opt out of naija how are we sure you won't vindicate them again? Sovereign National Conference will expedite your wishes for a decongest Lagos. I will start taking you lot serious when you start clamoring for resources control but for now your rant is irrelevant

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by UyiIredia(m): 1:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
Obi1kenobi: Lagos does have a lot of challenges. Uncontrolled rural-urban drift over the decades has created a real monster. Other than the major business districts, industrial layouts and high-brow residential developments, the poor planning is something that could have been managed far better. The overpopulation doesn't help issues. It's not just about the immigration but Nigerians have to stop breeding like rats and vermin. We're almost overdue for a China-style one family-one child policy. We're more overpopulated than China is considering the landmass and infrastructure.

This fool had to add his trademark stupidity to his post. You would have saved Nigeria one less idiot by killing yourself as I recall telling you to last year.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 1:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
bakynes:

1.Do you think some pple in lagos have a home to be counted by the census guys,check wiki and see for yourself the population figure.Each time I go out am always stressed coz the congestion on d road, the hold up and from other states ve visited ve never witnessed such stress so that also proves lagos population @ 20million is justified.

Are you joking with that bold part of your comment or simply displaying your inadequate knowledge of demographics and population data collection
Go and find out if there was no traffic congestion in Lagos in the 70s when the population was much less than the under-10 million of the last census then come back and post here. Ok
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by gabbytabby: 1:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia: Na me talk am ! And I no bring pics or evidence. That is up to you to decide. The Lagos state govt. is just better than other states. In fact, there is only so much a state govt. can do in a centralized power structure like Nigeria's but despite the progress we've recorded under Tinubu (who Fashola is a godson to and an extension of) what do we still have:

* On the whole, a very poorly planned urban centre. Estates are the exception to this but the prevalence of stalls or shops besides open gutters (attimes sewage). The almost useless ministry of physical and town planning which couldn't curtail collapsed buildings last year. Need I say more.

* Lack of cheap mortage or low-cost housing. At the risk of underestimating, it appears since Tinubu has made nonsense of Jakande's example in this regard. For those who don't know, Jakande is said to be the brains behind the forgotten low-cost estates at Ajah which are STILL uncompleted projects. We know Fashola for harassing slum dwellers, not a few were hurt by his policies. Slums will always remain as long as economic exploitation and the rich-poor gap remain. They are a symptom that society has problems, not just problems. I find it funny that LASG claims to have made housing accessible whereas it obvious the LASG has built few, if any, low-cost housing schemes.

* Roads still poor. Yes, a lot has been done by LASG in this regard but em not much. I say so even tho' there has rehabilatation of College road (linking to Iju road) in my area. Lagos has a dense network of roads given its population. And many are still in bad shape, especially those linking main roads, or those on the outskirts of the state. There are many. Even TVC_which Tinubu owns_shows them in a grassroots governance program.

* State schools still in bad shape. In truth, the state has a looong way to go in this area. Teachers still receive paltry sums. I was discussing last year (yesterday) with a former lesson teacher of mine. She said some new teachers get paid #10-15k monthly. Her school she teaches is not in good shape. In fact, forgetting the Millenium school at Oshodi which is airbrushed to show state achievements, and some haphazard renovations here and there, some even by concerned citizens. The state school infrastructure is still comatose. And BTW why did LASU students have to still be on strike despite the fact Fashola increased their fees ? That's mismanagement on LASG's part.

* Under-performing waste management. Lagos state has done well under Tinubu waste-wise. Tho' I wonder whether that is part of whitewashing the state. It's like what I did as a kid when told to sweep when I was lazy too. I will sweep the dust and hide under the carpet. Hide trash behind or under chairs etc. Just to make it seem neat when no real cleaning was done. Waste management is important because it keeps places clean. Poor waste management has resulted in flooding due to drainages blocked with waste.

PS: People have said the salary of teachers is higher than the one I stated. My mistake.

As I was reading this, it felt like trying to hear an old woman who has no teeth talking and there are 34 people who like this. All I can say is goodluck to the akayin's in the house. Come back when you have fitted your dentures. grin grin

Eko oni baje oh.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by mdokpella: 1:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
qhiwegh:

No, London is for English people (not French, Russian, Polish oyinbo). Why shouldn't people have their own cities to call their own? You're the one who's missing parts of your brain.

Do you want Chinkos, Lebanese, Indians to flood into your village and your towns? Stop forcing others to accept what you could not even tolerate.

Dumb statement and dumb answer! A closer look at u will reveal u are from one of these Yoruba poor states.
If lodon is for English people why do u find blacks and other race there? Face the problem and stop being sentimental joor.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 1:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
bakynes:
2.Did the budget for road construction pass through your table? for you to know it was done for 2-3 times the cost of Federal roads.

Hereunder are the facts for your careful consideration:

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan today disclosed that the reconstruction of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway was withdrawn from the Bi Courtney company due to evident non performance by the construction firm.

The road which is about 127.8 kilometers will cost N167 billion.

Jonathan stated this during the flagging-off ceremony for the reconstruction of the expressway.

The new companies that will be handling the reconstruction are Julius Berger Plc and Reynold Construction Company, RCC.

More from: http://saharareporters.com/news-page/president-jonathan-says-lagos-ibadan-expressway-will-be-ready-4-years%C2%A0-pm-news-lagos

Compare and contrast with LASG Chinco contract for road expansion:

The much publicised expansion work on the 13.5 kilometre Mile12 to Ikorodu Road project has begun as Lagos State government mobilised the contractor- Chinese Civil Engineering and Construction Corporation, CCECC, to site. The project is estimated to cost N30 billion.

See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/09/n30bn-mile-12-to-ikorodu-road-expansion-starts/#sthash.ZjBsgock.dpuf

Since you sabi extrapolate 20 million population from traffic congestion shocked it should not be difficult for you to do the maths of the two road expansion projects, abi
Fashola is a VERY corrupt man. Take that to the bank!!!

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by bakynes(m): 1:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

Are you joking with that bold part of your comment or simply displaying your inadequate knowledge of demographics and population data collection
Go and find out if there was no traffic congestion in Lagos in the 70s when the population was much less than the under-10 million of the last census then come back and post here. Ok

Besides when was the last Population Census and u didn't answer my question, do u know millions of pple in Lagos sleep in the bus,container,under the bridge so how do u expect them to be counted? And did u also check the wiki I told u to check?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 1:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
bakynes:
Besides when was the last Population Census and u didn't answer my question, do u know millions shocked of pple in Lagos sleep in the bus,container,under the bridge so how do u expect them to be counted? And did u also check the wiki I told u to check?

I do not know of MillionS who are homeless. How did you know?
Statistics and data METICULOUSLY gathered by adequately motivated workers of Fashola's Social and Welfare Affairs ministry no doubt, abi

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia: Good. When that govt. comes I will comply the best I can, in fact, I do that now. Just don't ask for my tax to build skyscrapers when common gutter dem never clean.

When that time comes, don't pay!
E go be like film-trick to you when you are thrown in jail for tax evasion.

btw, Drainages are meant to be covered...what are they suppose to be cleaning?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:
That's true BUT good local governance can cushion bad federal governance to an extent. The political structures and good use of them have helped a lot in such places BUT state governance can always be of tremendous importance. It safe to assume the 2008 mortgage housing bust in US affected each state differently because of policies each stag.te govt. put in place.

Big lie. Oil money funds Lagos (a good part). In fact all state govts.

Nonsense ! There is a middle class. Which kain stupidity be this o ! People wey dey by Samsung, iPads, tokunbo foreign cars etc poor so ? They are the middle class. Go back and do your economics well.

Okay. Mainly because you corrected my impression that govt largely financed it. Even then it's quite the waste. I think many of these estates being built are expensive. Funny thing is people will still forego them to negotiate with private landlords. That I know from experience.

For Chris' sakes my focus is what LASG is failing at. If you want a thread praising Fashola, there are many in the archives: feel free to make one sef. Yes the FG takes a huge blame but that doesn't exonarate LASG from blame. I have already acknowledged the FG is over-centralized.

Firstly, how would that happen when the FG takes a whooping 56% of the revenue and shares the remaining 44% among the 36 states and gazillion of LG? Check this link: http://www.placng.org/lawsofnigeria/node/19 ... You're not even making sense at all. What has the housing bubble in America that was a disaster waiting to happen got to do with this? That was created by the Clinton administration and it had nothing to do with governors of the American states.

Secondly, I reiterate: Lagos contributes more to the center than it gets back in return. Your oil money doesn't not fund Lagos!

Thirdly, it's safe to say you need to go back to elementary school if you think buying iPads, used cars etc. equate to middle class. Beggars can afford those items in other climes. In the real sense of what middle class is, I doubt there's a middle class in Nigeria. The Nigerian middle class is just an upper layer of the working class people, to be honest. Nigeria = Rich vs. Poor with different layers.

Fourthly, they're expensive because of the demand - same for the real estate in Lagos. I made enquiries about a few places in Lagos a few days ago and the price tag had me laughing. No sane person would pay that much for some of the real estates in that city. However, since the demand is high and supply is limited - the cost would be extremely high. Hence why they are expensive. It's not a waste - it's a place for the future.

Lastly, you created a topic about - "Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think" - and I believe the yardstick you used is what's attainable on ground in Nigeria vis-a-vis the revenue. So "good" here is relative and to define "good" - we would have to do a comparative analysis with his peers in other states and the FG. Like I've maintained on this thread - yes, he isn't perfect. However, he's like a messiah compared to others.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by toluene12: 2:10pm On Jan 02, 2014
@uyi iredia
sorry to say, but your analogy is flawed, and on this debate I think I go with shymexx
Its like u fail to understand the complex and largely inefficient unitary system of govt we operate in nigeria today. The main economic and fiscal policies needed for tranformation comes from abuja. There's very little state govts can do apart from providing basic infrastructure. When it comes to wealth generation and poverty reduction the onus lies with the F.G

Lagos issue is just typical of any commercial city in a developing economy, be it mumbai, Rio de janeiro, jakarta, johanesbourg, cairo etc. slums dwell side by side with modern architecture.

However, because of massive migration influx over the past decades, lack of urban planning and general lawlessness, lagos has more slums than modern buildings thus earning the name 'beautiful slum'. The truth remains lagos gives more to the federal purse than it receives and with a population of 20 million on a small land mass, there will always be pressure on limited resources and infrastructure. Coupled with the fact that the F.G has largely abandoned lagos, the financial resources needed to transform lagos to a mega city is just beyond what the LSG can afford.

Subways, high rise buildings, massive canals, underground cables, complex flyover, efficient transportation system, suburban development and urbanization dont come cheap. Most often, funding for most of these project comes from both the central and municipal govt alongside both local and foreigh investors. Lagos remains nigeria commercial capital and expecting only the LSG to tackle the burden is largely unfair.

However, if we insist lagos alone should carry the burden then lagosians should be ready to pay for it. Now I'm not talking about all those monthly dues or rents payed to local govenment touts and thugs. I mean real tax- income tax, property tax, coporate tax etc.
How many lagosians household income is above #100,000/month? how many lagosians can part with 35% of his salary as tax? how many of our Lagos big boys can pay 60% income tax?
well until then pls lets continue to manage whatever mediocre at best or substandard performance successive LSG gives us.

finally, i guess the sacrifice needed to develop mainland might just be too much for people to bear e.g demolition, deportation, relocation etc the reason why focus is on the island. I think the LSG can extend same to other underdeveloped suburbs outside mainland before they all turn to another Ikorodu
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
scipher: the annoying thing is, he's spent billions on reclaiming an island instead of upgrading sub Urban areas plus, restructuring Lagos in general.. if eko Atlantic becomes actualized, many parts of Lagos will still remain eye sore .

a 100billion spent on restructuring alone, can make Lagos rival Capetown..

shomolu for instance can look like an American neighbourhood in less than 6 months.. implement a simple policy and see the chain reaction.. you don't have to demolish buildings ..

fashola is the clueless one. sad

I dey laugh; God will expose that evil man! He is grossly inefficient!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by phantom(m): 2:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
eaglechild:
You are very ignorant,
Your once "beautiful" city that has been the country's capital for years without which it would have just been another slum.

In any case what all mega cities have in common is diversity.

If you want an all Lagos Yorobar, no need to look too far, just down the road is a slum named Ibadan and not far off is oshogbo, that is your all Yorobar Lagos.

grin grin grin grin grin.....first contender for best post of the year 2014. (but they ll pretend not to see it)
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ekolina(m): 2:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
Italiano1:

And yet, under his administration, Lagos has witnessed the largest influx of migrants from other parts of Nigeria?

He must be doing a good job if some people would rather stay poor and destitute in Lagos than return to their states of origin- don't you think?

people dnt cme to lagos cuz of development rather for jobs n it has been so since d inception of nigeria. Fashola didnt build d ports, mobil, total, chevron, n d many coy dat has been in lagos lng b4 fashola
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by phantom(m): 2:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
phreakabit: Been opportune to reside both on and off the "Island" and all I can say from EXPERIENCE of living on both sides of the divide is, Fashola's government is one of a condescending elitist. Don't be deceived there are two "Lagoses". One for the rich and important, the other for the poor and inconsequential. I say poor because unlike other sane climes when you have rich, middle class and poor. . . In Nigeria there are just two classes Rich and Poor. Not necessarily the truth, but thats how elite Nigeria see it.
super rich and super poor actually....the 'rich' and 'poor' like the 'middle class' have also dissappeared.... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 2:38pm On Jan 02, 2014
Also, to set the records straight - the biggest seaports in Lagos - the berths 1 to 4 of Apapa Quays were built by the colonial government. That has nothing to do with your oil money nor Nigeria.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by akanbiaa(m): 2:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
point noted but the question is will the calibre of the personality in the lagos Opposition especially PDP have done better than Fashola?
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Decryptor(m): 2:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: You can't say you are succeful when there is no proof. Lets see what forbes say. How many firsts do ibos have(not even one) compared to Yoruba atleast ten. So where do we start the comparison. All outstanding Nigerians abroad in 2013 are Yoruba. The only glory you brought to Nigeria is robbing and getting beating and hanged all over the world, save for your contribution to soccer. You suck and you know it.

Look at this buffon! So the likes of Philip Emeagwali, Chimamanda, Late Chinua Achebe, Chuka Umunna who is a member of parliament popularly known as the Obama of UK and even Coscharis the major importer of BMW and Bently whose high-brow office is in your smelly Lagos are all yorubas abi?
Then Michael Adebolajo, the terrorist who hacked a soldier to death in the UK just last year is an ibo?
You need to go and hide your ewedu-filled head inside that bucket you use in passing faeces and urine which u people are known to do and stop yarning trash here!

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Decryptor(m): 2:46pm On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: You can't say you are succeful when there is no proof. Lets see what forbes say. How many firsts do ibos have(not even one) compared to Yoruba atleast ten. So where do we start the comparison. All outstanding Nigerians abroad in 2013 are Yoruba. The only glory you brought to Nigeria is robbing and getting beating and hanged all over the world, save for your contribution to soccer. You suck and you know it.

Look at this buffon! So the likes of Philip Emeagwali, Chimamanda, Late Chinua Achebe, Chuka Umunna who is a member of parliament popularly known as the Obama of UK and even Coscharis the major importer of BMW and Bently whose high-brow office is in your smelly Lagos are all yorubas abi?
Then Michael Adebolajo, the terrorist who hacked a soldier to death in the UK just last year is an ibo?
You need to go and hide your ewedu-filled head inside that bucket you use in passing faeces and urine which u people are known to do and stop yarning trash here!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:
Firstly, how would that happen when the FG takes a whooping 56% of the revenue and shares the remaining 44% among the 36 states and gazillion of LG?

When people say what you said above I imagine they may be UNAWARE that the constitution makes the FG responsible for the:

- Armed Forces i.e Army, Navy, Air Force
- Law Enforcement agents i.e Police Force and the Intelligence Services
- Foreign Affairs, including several embassies around the world
- INEC for elections at the federal and state levels i.e.

* president,
* senate,
* HoR,
* governors and
* state assembly lawmakers

compared to SIECs that conduct only LGA elections,

- UBEC support to states and LGAs for implementation of free education.
UBEC has disbursed almost 188 billion to the states in the last eight years.
See http://ubeconline.com/Pre/Disbursememt%20as%20at%206th-December,2013.pdf

- Railways
- Sea ports
- Airports
- Etc, etc

Secondly, I reiterate: Lagos contributes more to the center than it gets back in return. Your oil money doesn't not fund Lagos!

And what has Lagos done about true fiscal federalism beyond TALK. We have had a democracy for almost 15 years now and at least two amendments to the 1999 constitution. I guess talk is cheap especially when the leader knows most of his fellow compatriots are MUMUS.
Oh maybe that is why Tinubu is so keen to have Buhari in power next year since he (Buhari) promised to DECREE fiscal federalism. The clueless old soldier is obviously thinking in COUPIST terms where as the MAXIMUM ruler he does not need the input of lawmakers to do things.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx: Also, to set the records straight - the biggest seaports in Lagos - the berths 1 to 4 of Apapa Quays were built by the colonial government. That has nothing to do with your oil money nor Nigeria.

I thought someone who claims he is living in London would be smarter than what you wrote above.
Made a mistake
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by kolamilan(m): 3:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
fashola is still the best.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Premium Times Sacks Andrew Ajijah Over False Report On Miyetti Allah / Amotekun Backed By Thorsten Frei, German Lawmaker (Photos) / Unknown Gunmen Kill Two Traditional Rulers In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.