Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,827 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think (33982 Views)

Ben Bruce Flaunts His Made-In-Aba Shoes, Says They're As Good As Italian Shoes / Federal Government Is Not Treating Igbo People Right - Yerima / Democracy Or Which System Of Government Is Practice In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 3:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

I thought someone who claims he is living in London would be smarter than what you wrote above.
Made a mistake

I shouldn't even engage you because of your post pattern and moronic witch-hunting. You sound a sycophantic pseud, a political jobber and an an innately effeminate duffer with the colour schemes in your post.

So, who built the berths 1 to 4 at the Apapa quays?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 3:22pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

I shouldn't even engage you because of your post pattern and moronic witch-hunting. You sound a sycophantic pseud, a political jobber and an an innately effeminate duffer with the colour schemes in your post.

So, who built the berths 1 to 4 at the Apapa quays?

Assuming it is true that the British built it during the colonial era, so you imagine they were playing Father Christmas to the natives in Nigeria, right shocked
And BTW are those the only berths in Lagos ports

As usual I will ignore the ranting, abuse and insults so we can stay focused on the real issues and not join you in the gutter.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by phantom(m): 3:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

The crux of the matter is that everyone wants the Lagos state government to perform a miracle and turn Lagos into London despite being half the size of London and three times the population? However, where is the money going to come from? How many people earn £1500 equivalent to naira in Lagos. I doubt all the clowns who run their mouths on nairaland about working in banks and oil companies even earn that much - and that's what a normal sales assistant in a supermarket earns in London. So you would agree with me that over 90% of Lagosians are poor. And the few that pay taxes only pay meagre money that won't be able to do anything. I guess that's why you lot are getting the substandard quality you're getting. The state can't afford world-class infrastructures.

The trickling down of wealth is majorly the job of the FG and Lagos for all its population and what it contributes to the national purse, it doesn't get that much back in return. Evidently, there's little the state government can do about that - it isn't responsible for all Nigerians. That's the job of the FG.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin small boy dey run im mouth.(abi im hands).anybody reading from you wont know that you cant even point nigeria out on a map of just west africa,let alone lagos....funny dude! just ask mummy to save up for a ticket,visit the country for just a week and we might just begin to take you seriously,young blood! grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:
[s]When people say what you said above I imagine they may be UNAWARE that the constitution makes the FG responsible for the:

- Armed Force i.e Army, Navy, Air Force
- Law Enforcement agents i.e Police Force and the Intelligence Services
- Foreign Affairs, including several embassies around the world
- INEC for elections at the federal and state levels i.e.

* president,
* senate,
* HoR,
* governors and
* state assembly lawmakers

compared to SIECs that conduct only LGA elections,

- UBEC support to states and LGAs for implementation of free education.
UBEC has disbursed almost 188 billion to the states in the last eight years.
See http://ubeconline.com/Pre/Disbursememt%20as%20at%206th-December,2013.pdf

- Railways
- Sea ports
- Airports
- Etc, etc[/s]

Oh, you mean your FG is responsible for your medieval military with obsolete weapons? The same military that's grossly underfunded and that can't fight its way out of a paper bag? The same military that has been embarrassed by a ragtag terrorist group?

The Nigerian police that's more or less an underpaid vigilante group? The same clowns who don't understand the rudiments of policing, no?

What foreign affairs? Elections ridden with election frauds and malpractices?

And where are the railways, seaports and airports? You mean the smelly and primitive airport in Lagos? The non-existent railways and the 17th century locomotive trains?

Fam, just shut up!

And what has Lagos done about true fiscal federalism beyond TALK. We have had a democracy for almost 15 years now and at least two amendments to the 1999 constitution. I guess talk is cheap especially when the leader knows most of his fellow compatriots are MUMUS.
Oh maybe that is why Tinubu is so keen to have Buhari in power next year since he (Buhari) promised to DECREE fiscal federalism. The clueless old soldier is obviously thinking in COUPIST terms where as the MAXIMUM ruler he does not need the input of lawmakers to do things.

I put it to you that based on what Fashola has achieved, he can become the Mayor of London. Heck, he's overqualified for the governor of New York - since Andrew Cuomo is utterly useless.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by anonimi: 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Oh, you mean your FG is responsible for your medieval military with obsolete weapons? The same military that's grossly underfunded and that can't fight its way out of a paper bag? The same military that has been embarrassed by a ragtag terrorist group?

The Nigerian police that's more or less an underpaid vigilante group? The same clowns who don't understand the rudiments of policing, no?

What foreign affairs? Elections ridden with election frauds and malpractices?

And where are the railways, seaports and airports? You mean the smelly and primitive airport in Lagos? The non-existent railways and the 17th century locomotive trains?

Fam, just shut up!

I put it to you that based on what Fashola has achieved, he can become the Mayor of London. Heck, he's overqualified for the governor of New York - since Andrew Cuomo is utterly useless.

Seeing the childishness in your post, I guess it's time I take phantom's advice in his post just above yours.
Happy new year!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:
Assuming it is true that the British built it during the colonial era, so you imagine they were playing Father Christmas to the natives in Nigeria, right shocked
And BTW are those the only berths in Lagos ports

As usual I will ignore the ranting, abuse and insults so we can stay focused on the real issues and not join you in the gutter.

The crux of the matter is that they built it, yes or no? And that's the biggest port in Nigeria - end of story. Evidently it has absolutely nothing to do with Nigeria nor the oil money.

If I may ask, who're the natives?

You started the name-calling and I returned the favour.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

Seeing the childishness in your post, I guess it's time I take phantom's advice in his post just above yours.
Happy new year!

Why are you running away - stay and let's debate it.

I bet you don't even know how close to home the Jakande you're addicted to citing is. Come back here.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by tensor77(m): 3:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:
1}That's true BUT good local governance can cushion bad federal governance to an extent. The political structures and good use of them have helped a lot in such places BUT state governance can always be of tremendous importance. It safe to assume the 2008 mortgage housing bust in US affected each state differently because of policies each stag.te govt. put in place.
2}Big lie. Oil money funds Lagos (a good part). In fact all state govts.
3}Nonsense ! There is a middle class. Which kain stupidity be this o ! People wey dey by Samsung, iPads, tokunbo foreign cars etc poor so ? They are the middle class. Go back and do your economics well.
4}Okay. Mainly because you corrected my impression that govt largely financed it. Even then it's quite the waste. I think many of these estates being built are expensive. Funny thing is people will still forego them to negotiate with private landlords. That I know from experience.
Fo
@Iredia
1}Misleading statement. I know you were backtracking on your earlier statement but the truth is physical infrastructural development is the duty of the states not the Federal Government
2}That's true. Yes all the oil companies and banks have their headquarters in Lagos because historically Lagos is where the universiity graduates go and look for work. But that is not the same as Lagos having an intrinsic money generating industries like Silicion Valley in California. That said there is a thriving financial services industry, but where would it be without oil
3}The middle class is just 30% of the population which we can estimate as 150 million. That amounts to a whole 45 million people which is a gigantic market.
4}In view of our past experience I submit that Fashola should leave the financing and construction of Housing estates entirely to the private sector
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Venchy: 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
checkdate: will you do better than him if you are made the governor of lagos state?

What foolish question are you asking, typical arrogant and ignorant that doesn't like to be challenged.

Not everyone will be privileged to be in such position, what you have to understand is that there'll always be a criticism about any Government wether you are doing well or not.....

Get it mate, this is part of the game and criticism has a bigger role in the society, Checks and Balancing or wake up call.

Sick people.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Orikinla(m): 3:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
bloggernaija: Mortgages are not under the control of the state government.
Banks grant mortgages (in nigeria's case loans).
The federal government via the CBN control the banks .
So,that is federal responsibility

.on the urban and regional and planning , you are partly right, however blaming Fashola is not understAnding the problem.
Lagos was almost already fully built up before Tinubu and Fashola.
The continuing influx of poor migrant into Lagos and SW has made it almost impossible to do much about this problem because it will cause massive dislocation and inconvenience.
Also the LGA council are not up to scratch.this
Is suppose to be a local government problem.
This is why Fashola has reiterated that his mega city policy would build around the mess for now ,rather than wheel out the bulldozers .

Your reply is enough for the naive OP.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by GentleMimi: 3:52pm On Jan 02, 2014
phantom: grin grin grin grin grin grin grin small boy dey run im mouth.(abi im hands).anybody reading from you wont know that you cant even point nigeria out on a map of just west africa,let alone lagos....funny dude! just ask mummy to save up for a ticket,visit the country for just a week and we might just begin to take you seriously,young blood! grin grin grin
*wicked*!!! Chai!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by tensor77(m): 3:54pm On Jan 02, 2014
bakynes:

1.Do you think some pple in lagos have a home to be counted by the census guys? check wiki and see for yourself the population figure.Each time I go out am always stressed coz the congestion on d road, the hold up and from other states ve visited, ve never witnessed such stress so that also proves lagos population @ 20million is justified.
2.Did the budget for road construction pass through your table? for you to know it was done for 2-3 times the cost of Federal roads.

You CANNOT use holdup and road congestion to start making wild extrapolations and assumptions to come up with fanciful population projections.
It woulld be more honest for you to say you have no idea as to what the true population of Lagos State is . The Government would have to start MAINTAIN and updating detailed databases of state residents for example before coming up with any pprojections.
However it sounds totally ludicrous for Lagos State's population to be 20 million considering the creaking state of its pre-industrial infrastructure.
Anything between 5 to 10 million would be more accurate.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by tensor77(m): 3:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
anonimi:

I do not know of MillionS who are homeless. How did you know?
Statistics and data METICULOUSLY gathered by adequately motivated workers of Fashola's Social and Welfare Affairs ministry no doubt, abi
Good question. He claims that people are homeless which means they have no fixed address and no documentation and then purports to say that they run into millions. This in a scenario where the same government does not even have accurate data on people who a have fixed places of abode.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by tensor77(m): 4:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

* State schools still in bad shape. In truth, the state has a looong way to go in this area. Teachers still receive paltry sums. I was discussing last year (yesterday) with a former lesson teacher of mine. She said some new teachers get paid #10-15k monthly. Her school she teaches is not in good shape. In fact, forgetting the Millenium school at Oshodi which is airbrushed to show state achievements, and some haphazard renovations here and there, some even by concerned citizens. The state school infrastructure is still comatose. And BTW why did LASU students have to still be on strike despite the fact Fashola increased their fees ? That's mismanagement on LASG's part.
Good point about the state schools. To be honest the whole approach to secondary education in Lagos State is totally wrong. It seems to be about erecting new buildings sticking in blackboards desks and benches and then employing a few dozen teachers. Little is said about curriculum cotent quality of instructors , academic standards set and expected and discipline.
Maybe it is time to concentrate on quality education rather than this obsession with physical infrastructure
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by tensor77(m): 4:27pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

You be better mumu ! These unskilled workers are way more skilled than you can ever imagine. Try carrying a bag of cement, or rice. You go faint. Kids be all Behind these day they won't carty block. Haba ! Laborers that build your houses, sweep ur streets at their risk, build all the wonddrful structures you praise Fashola for, many exploited ones in China built many of the devices (from Apole to Techno or Chinko phones) you enjoy. Your post is silly. It shows how much people didsain technical education, even disdain menial jobs which are VERY important. All of them depend on laborers leaving in shanties etc And you think they don't have a right to low-cost housing. You be mumu !
Yes but who is going to pay for all this . You make it seem as if the LASG has unlimited funds. How do you propose the maintenance of the accomodation blocks would be financed.. We are talking about water , electricity, sanitation.
You can not run government based on mere sentiment.

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by wolex200980: 4:45pm On Jan 02, 2014
Waitin now 2014 again.all the
news on nairaland is about
APC,TINUBU, FASHOLA,EL RUFAI,
BUHARI. Why this pull it down e-
campaign.is nairaland another tool
in the hand of PDP.2014 Not again.we are wise now!!!!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 4:55pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

u are a big bafoon for cancelling people's comments when u quote them. Igbo population in Lagos is about 30% and we own about 70% of lagos economy. Where were your fathers when Britons and igbos were building lagos?

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 5:08pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx: [s][/s]

I don't want to curse people out this year, however, I would say go suck your mum. Go tell Benin kingdom to claim it. And are those Brazilian returnees from your ethnic stock? They're Yoruba's!
it's your mama that I will suck.
Why is oba of lagos loyal to only oba of benin till this day?

1 Like

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by ba7man(m): 5:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: u are a big bafoon for cancelling people's comments when u quote them. Igbo population in Lagos is about 30% and we own about 70% of lagos economy. Where were your fathers when Britons and igbos were building lagos?
Oh........Here's one of those Igbo dudes that pull percentages out of their anu5.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Pukkah: 5:48pm On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: Igbo population in Lagos is about 30% and we own about 70% of lagos economy.

Since there are 5 Igbo states in Nigeria, this suggests that Nigerians from the remaining 31 states and FCT and foreigners own only 30% of Lagos economy while 70% is owned by Igbos?

This also implies that these other groups (from 31 states, FCT and foreign countries) form 70% of Lagos population?

This is interesting.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by meforyou1(m): 5:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
Pukkah:

Since there are 5 Igbo states in Nigeria, this suggests that Nigerians from the remaining 31 states and FCT and foreigners own about 30% of Lagos economy?

This also implies that these other groups (from 31 states, FCT and foreign countries) form 70% of Lagos population?

This is interesting.
it's there on the internet. Google it
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Pukkah: 6:14pm On Jan 02, 2014
me_for_you: it's there on the internet. Google it

I'll like to see the link(s) since you already have it/them.

Thanks.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Classcaptain1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
whitecat007: Got to go jor!
Omo u too get mouth,can't just stop laughing.u too much
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by docsholz(m): 6:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
The way peeps pull out statistics anyhow is very funny
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by deb(m): 6:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
THE WORST OF FASHOLA IS BETTER THAN THE BEST OF THE ENTIRE MEDIOCRES THAT PDP HAD BEEN CHURNING OUT OVER 14YRS AGO.

GIVE FASHOLA A FALLOW LAND LIKE AKWA IBOM WITH ALL THE ALLOCATIONS AND SEE IF HE WILL NOT DWARF THE "ACHIVEMENT" OF THE ENTIRE STATE. MTSCHEEW!

I will rather deal with the type of "corrrrupt" Fashola than all those wicked PDP retardeens like Jolatanz!
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by aquabeing: 6:43pm On Jan 02, 2014
ketoprofen:

The same way some ppl shd take it easy with gej

Gej is just as dumb as his party members
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by aquabeing: 7:17pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

Those countries are better today because of what government at the center achieved not the mayors of the different regions. There's not much a state government can do, especially in the case of Lagos, that has about 20% of the country's population despite being the smallest in the country.

Oil money doesn't fund Lagos. Lagos contributes more the FG purse than it gets
back in return. Many multinationals and important companies have their headquarters there not because of the FG, but because of the status of the place. That was also why the Brits moved the capital to the Lagos and also why Lagos was a slave coast. Even when the slaves returned, most of them returned to Lagos because of the same reason. The IGR might be huge compared to other Nigerian states, however, it isn't that much when compared to other thriving megacities across the globe, hence why the place is the way it's.

Negligible minority. The minimum wage is N18,000 and that's not even up to £100. Overwhelming majority don't earn that much.

Utter tosh. Define middle class? The truth is that the overwhelming majority of Nigerians are dirt poor.

What are the basics? You have to create wealth, so as to be able to increase your spending. With Eko Atlantic, that would generate more revenue for the state government and the money would be used to fund other projects. It would also create employment opportunity, more people with cash and distribute wealth. That means more taxes and more revenue. Just look at the bigger picture.

The structure of government in Nigeria is flawed. There's little the state government can do about wealth creation - that's the job of the FG. The state government can only cater to certain infrastructural needs of the people in places that are within their jurisdiction. And I believe the Lagos state government is head and shoulders above others if Nigerian standard, its snarly population and what's attainable in other states is used as a yardstick.

Thank you very much my brother for your honest response.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by mbulela: 7:24pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hype and media savvy are integral parts of governance and politics in the 21st century,so I do not blame fashola completely.
However, I do agree that BRF has done well but not as well as needed. The sheer population and location of Lagos in the scheme of the country's economy makes it foolish to compare it to other states. On the issue of waste disposal,I think the govt has been a colossal failure and the people themselves an even bigger failure. For all its sophistication, the govt has been unable to tackle the menace of refuse and waste,yet they talk about mega city.
The issue of roads highlight the paucity of funds available to the lasg and how a special intervention is needed if progress must be made. Even the blind can tell that roads are being fixed and new ones built but the supply is severely overwhelmed by the need and demand.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by texanomaly(f): 7:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
Uyi Iredia:

Hmmn. Dats anoda way of seeing it. And I differ for apparent reasons. Basics first.
Weather you agree with it or not, Trickle Down Economics works.
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by iyobs7(f): 8:00pm On Jan 02, 2014
I am very impressed with the comments and likes from nairalanders on this particular topic.

Mr Uyi Iredia, You have spoken excellently well and I must commend your effort my brother!!!
For those calling you names, leave them to their opinion and I seriously respect your ideals and manner
even towards abusive and insulting comments.

This should e Fashola's 2nd term and from what I have noticed in Nigeria Political atmosphere,

The masses (in Nigeria) rejoice over projects executed by a govt even when it is the sole duty of the govt
which implies that the masses hardly know their right from their left.

In my sincere opinion, if Nigerians, Lagosians can say that Fashola is not perfect, I dont see any reason why
GEJ should be prosecuted and called names. If it were GEJ that was in Lagos, same insults would have followed

Lets stop all these form of bias and blind support for average government.

It is like thanking MTN, AIRTEL, GLO for connecting your call or delivering your pings after you have paid for
the service.

Feel free to quote and insult, it is your opinion
Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by incrediblestev: 8:35pm On Jan 02, 2014
Anyone that takes the very sentimental and exaggerated figures being bandied by shymex is not smart at all. From the way he keeps making ignorant claims in his posts, it is obvious the guy does not even live in the said Lagos.

Lagos population is not anywhere close to 20million people, no intelligent person will make such a preposterous claim just prove his point.

And it can not be denied that there is large scale corruption going on in LSG, fashola is trying but he is no saint or extraordinary.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola's Government Is Not As Good As You Think by Akiika: 10:15pm On Jan 02, 2014
shymexx:

How do you plan an urban centre in a place as snarly populated as Lagos? The only option is to create new cities to decongest the old ones for renewal. Even with that, based on demand, supply and cost, how many Lagosians would be able to afford to live in the new cities? The only option is for the FG to build new cities, to decongest Lagos - or other state governments, to roll their sleeves up, and start working - so as to enable reverse migration from Lagos.

Population factor again and excessive pressure on infrastructures.

Population factor coupled with demand and supply, and the need to meet the demand, despite insufficient funds. That would obviously rub off on the quality. The only solution is for more Nigerians to start paying taxes.

PS: Not making excuses for Fashola. He is just a one-eyed man in the land of the blind. And personally, he's an extreme capitalist, an ideology I don't agree with. However, he's one of the best in Nigeria. The Osun governor is my guy - I like his ideology.

Why are you this smart?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Amotekun Backed By Thorsten Frei, German Lawmaker (Photos) / Gunmen Destroy Cars & Other Properties Of Sit-At-Home Violators In Enugu / 'I No Sabi Tinubu. Nah Only Peter Obi I Dey Hear - Fulani Herds Boy (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.