Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,470 members, 7,781,365 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:13 PM

James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead (24483 Views)

FLASHBACK: Fresh Prince Of Bel Air -the Delightfully Engaging Comedy / Fresh Prince Of Bel Air's 'uncle Phil', James Avery Dies Aged 65 / Cast Of Fresh Prince Of Bel Air Then And Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by vickyO(f): 1:48am On Jan 02, 2014
Actor James Avery, who played the dearly loved but strict Uncle Phil on the legendary 1990s comedy series "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," has died from complications from open heart surgery on the 31st of December, 2013.

His passing has been confirmed by his publicist. He was only 65 years old.
His former "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air's" co-star, Alfonso Ribeiro, who played Uncle Phil's eldest son Carlton Banks, tweeted regarding Avery's sudden passing.

"I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away," wrote Ribeiro via Twitter. "He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly."

Actor Miguel A Nunez Jr also mourned for his former "Sparks" co-star.

"Rest in Peace James Avery. Love You. One of the best actors of our time," tweeted Nunez Jr.

Avery was a skilled thespian and poet. He was raised by a single mother when grew up as a child in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Avery was also a Vietnam War Veteran after serving in the Navy during the war. He made film debut as a dancer in an unlisted part in the 1980 comedy motion picture classic "The Blues Brothers."

"I knew I loved the arts," said Avery in a discussion for the show "Unscripted." "I knew I wanted to be a writer, but the theater was something I had been involved in before."

Avery was also known for parts on TV shows and movies, as well as as the voice of Shredder in the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

However, his most iconic character was as The Honorable Judge Phillip Banks, the uncompromising but devoted uncle to Will Smith's character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

"Will was ringing in the New Year with his family when an associate told him the news," according to a source. "Working with James was a big part of his life.. in fact, James was something of a father figure to Will."

The source continues, "He's devastated by the death.. James will be sorely missed."

Avery is survived by his wife Barbara.

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by UjSizzle(f): 7:28am On Jan 02, 2014
How sad sad
RIP

1 Like

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by julioralph(m): 9:53am On Jan 02, 2014
Sad news indeed.
I Particularly love the episode where he attempted to sell his mansion to Donald trump... Will Smith was so much against the idea until he saw trump in flesh for the 1st time, and nearly worshipped him!!

3 Likes

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Krasid(m): 10:00am On Jan 02, 2014
RIP, sir.
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by MrAboki: 12:31pm On Jan 03, 2014

3 Likes

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by akatonero(m): 12:32pm On Jan 03, 2014
Him don kpeme be dat? Soo early RIP Sir
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by toocoded: 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
Heeyah! Uncle James, u didn't even bother to say goodbye, heh?
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by stonemind(f): 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez cnt bliev I'm on front page
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by xynerise: 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
@Op. I thought he was 68?
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Glaxx(m): 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Never watched that program while it was on tv. Anyways adios big uncle.
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
RIP.
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by primusmaximus: 12:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
xynerise: @Op. I thought he was 68?
CNN says 68, Wikipedia says 65
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Youngchukky245(m): 12:36pm On Jan 03, 2014
R.I.P
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Gloximazz(f): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
so sad.RIP
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by mazizitonene(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Rip.....survived by his wife?.......no kids ?

1 Like

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Burger01(m): 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
RIP. A role well played.sad
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by ichidodo: 12:38pm On Jan 03, 2014
RIP Uncle Phil

1 Like

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by 1shortblackboy: 12:39pm On Jan 03, 2014
Chai cryRIP Big guy. sad
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by xynerise: 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
primus_maximus:
CNN says 68, Wikipedia says 65
What did NTA say?

7 Likes

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by victorazy(m): 12:42pm On Jan 03, 2014
THIS IS END TIME INDEED undecided
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by wheesin(m): 12:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
eyah.. at least he saw d new year
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by preciousempena(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
RIP
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by alotofgrace(m): 12:46pm On Jan 03, 2014
old tory
mtchweweewewewe
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by sushieater: 12:47pm On Jan 03, 2014
Well, Rip to everyone in advance grin

7 Likes

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by NessaFresh(f): 12:49pm On Jan 03, 2014
Awwww RIP man
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by megaomo(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Even though the fresh prince of bel-air was a comedy show but it sure pulled some moral strings.
RIP 'uncle phil'.

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Jayses(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
it's going to continue like this until another generation is born. R.I.P to the dead

1 Like

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Hmmm...death everwhere..G0D WE ARE IN Y0UR CARE.
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by iamswizz(m): 12:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Jojo4truth: 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
sushieater: Well, Rip to everyone in advance grin
u too oh.

9 Likes

Re: James Avery, Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air Actor Is Dead by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jan 03, 2014
wheesin: eyah.. at least he saw d new year
Bullsh!t

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Download Fantastic Four 2015 / Finally Out: Download Video Alani Pamolekun Part 3 – Latest Yoruba Movie 2015 / 8 Life Lessons To Learn From Bbnaija 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.